Vegetarian Discussion: The Monstrosity Of Animal Exploitation

The Monstrosity Of Animal Exploitation

Pearl
2008-08-01 09:05:44 EST
The Monstrosity of Animal Exploitation

Published by cyrano2 at 7:14 pm under Animal Cruelty, Animal
Liberation, Animal Rights, Brutality, Cruel Idiots, Meat Industrial
Complex, Moral Blinders, Speciesism

[!]
(Seal - Fur - 26) More cleaning of bloody seal skins about ship.
This is what we see when people wear fur.
[Editor's Note: photo and caption credits go to All Creatures
at www.all-creatures.org]

"On The Monstrosity of Animal Exploitation and Abuse, and the
Causation of Slavery, Genocide, and War"

By David Irving

SINCE THE ADVENT OF CIVILIZATION almost every nation from
the smallest to the largest has struggled through periods of unbearable
violence. Looking back the world finds its trail littered with the history
of war and bloodshed. Almost everyone alive today has experienced
nothing but war throughout their entire lives. Wherever we look it is
there. World War I, World War II, Israel-Palestine, Korea, South Africa,
Guatemala, Vietnam, Nicaragua, Khmer Rouge, El Salvador, Gulf War,
Rwanda, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq. This list barely makes a dent in the
number of wars fought in the 20th and early 21st Centuries. Over 160
million people are dead because of these wars. That is a staggering
figure. And over it all hangs the fear of a massive nuclear conflagration.

Just how much more does it take before the world stops long enough
to ask how it all happened and what can be done about it? Isaac
Bashevis Singer answered the latter part of the question most precisely
when he wrote "as long as human beings will go on shedding the blood
of animals, there will never be any peace. There will be no justice as
long as man will stand with a knife or a gun and destroy those who are
weaker than he is."

The means for putting an end to war is, therefore, not easy but perfectly
conceivable, if we would only avail ourselves of it, and has, in fact,
been staring us in the face for centuries. The exploitation and abuse of
animals must be stopped. That is the simple (but, admittedly not easy
to implement) answer. And if it should seem all too simple, even
simpletonian, then let us take a look at the impact on the world the
abuse of animals has made. That should clarify the issue.

[!]
(Dolphin - Slaughter - 03) These Japanese fishermen haul the
butchered bodies of these once free dolphins into their boat.
They killed sixty of these beautiful living souls in one day.

THE "NORMALIZATION" OF ABUSE

Charles Patterson's well researched, thought-provoking book Eternal
Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust illuminates the
dark past out of which animal abuse and exploitation emerged. In the
long march from the stone age to civilization early humans began to
move from a life support system based on opportunistic hunting and
gathering to one of domesticating plants and animals. Domestication
was not, however, just a cooperative venture in which animals willingly
complied. In order to bend animals to their will, humans had to use
cunning and deception while resorting to some of their most brutal
capabilities. To avoid overpopulation of their herds they would have
needed to sterilize some of the males. As Patterson describes, they
would likely have accomplished that in the same way some herders in
various parts of the world are still doing it, by holding the male down
and crushing his testicles. Other means by which herders controlled
captive animals were whips, chains, shackles, and branding to show
individual ownership.

The domestication of animals changed the relationship with animals
that people had previously established. Animals were no longer held in
ancestral esteem, nor were they any longer regarded in the same light
as everything else that lived, including the rocks, the trees, the earth
itself, the sun, the moon, and the stars. These were all soul-possessing
entities. But the domestication of animals brought a change in their
status from one of respect (or fear) to one in which they were
ruthlessly subjected to the selfish interests of the herders. As noted
by Mr. Patterson, Sigmund Freud wrote that "in the course of his
development towards culture man acquired a dominating position over
his fellow-creatures in the animal kingdom. Not content with his
supremacy, however, he began to place a gulf between his nature and
theirs. He denied the possession of reason to them, and to himself he
attributed an immortal soul, and made claims to a divine descent which
permitted him to annihilate the bond of community between him and
the animal kingdom."

As the human desire for acquisition grew, the process of domesticating
animals provided a model by which tribes could also acquire the wealth
of their neighbors. They simply applied the same brutal techniques that
had been used successfully to enslave animals: whipping, shackles,
chains, castration of males, separation of females, branding,
imprisonment, and murder. Over time, tribal battles and population
growth expanded and evolved into full scale wars.

The core ingredient in the process of one human group conquering
another was that of dehumanization. Dehumanization meant mentally
transforming the image of a respected neighbor with whom a tribe
cooperated for each other's mutual benefit, to the image of some kind
of "beast." The ideal was to select one that was particularly loathsome
and repugnant to the tribe preparing for warfare. Once that was
accomplished it was easy to rationalize the most atrocious and barbaric
kind of treatment in accomplishing the conqueror's goals, including in
the Nazi Holocaust where they herded their enemies naked (like animals
are) into showers and gassed them.

[!]
(Rabbit - Meat - 13) The skin of the innocent rabbit is then slit along
the legs and around the feet. Then the skin is pulled off his or her body,
as seen here. The skin is then sold to make "cute bunny fur" clothing
and trim for children, whose parents unwittingly condition them to be
future fur buyers, instead of teaching them the truth about the horror
and suffering that lines each piece of fur.

ANIMALS IN THE SYMBOLOGY OF DOMINATION AND HATRED

This has been the pattern of conquest throughout human history.
Some examples include the massacres of the indigenous people of the
American plains, the enslavement and brutalization of Africans by
Europeans and Americans, the Nazi Holocaust, and the war in Vietnam.
The conquerors mentally turn their victims into animals or insects,
describing them as beasts, monkeys, gorillas, swine, pigs, whining curs,
mad dogs, monkeys, and termites. Once the victims have been relegated
to less than human status, they can be whipped, chained, raped, tortured,
humiliated, blown up, and murdered as desired. Hutu leaders described
Tutsis as cockroaches and snakes during the Rwanda massacres. In
Nazi Germany, as has been well documented, the Nazis defined Jews as
rats and pests, which, like animals, were without rights and worthy of
life only at the discretion of the superior German master race.

Certainly the connection between the enslavement of animals with that of
human beings is there to be discerned. The follow-up, defined as war, is
also clearly visible. How could it be otherwise? It is not likely that one
group of human beings is going to sit idly by while another group
subjugates and enslaves it. Unlike animals, humans have the means and
the will to fight back and to seek revenge along the way.

Patterson has shown that the whole process of slavery, genocide, and
war got started when our ancestors began herding innocent animals
together against their will. Herding constitutes animal slavery with a path
leading towards human slavery, genocide, and war. As shown, that path
had to include positive to negative image transference which could only
have been forged after animals were rendered subservient and inferior to
humans. Herding would certainly have destroyed the sense of kinship
early human felt towards animals, opening the door to redefining their
place in the new world over which humans were gradually taking
ownership. From that point forward, it takes little imagination to envision
our ancestors corralling and clubbing innocent animals to death whenever
they felt a need. Is it any wonder that today workers club defenseless
baby seals to death in Canada for economic gain? And we ask ourselves
how anyone could be so ghastly cruel and inhumane?

If we want to put on the brakes and come to a screeching halt when it
comes to violence and war, maybe it is time to put a stop to activities
like enslaving and abusing animals against their will!

[!]
(Fox - Hunting - 02) When dogs are trained to hunt in a pack, a frenzy
results. If they catch the fox, which happens all too often, they all want
a piece of the flesh and a taste of the blood. The result is that the fox is
ripped to pieces. This is a well known result of fox hunting, and shows
how depraved and ungodly the people are who engage in this so-called
"sport."

The enslavement and abuse of animals along with other ignoble
activities like vivisection, trapping, hunting, slaughter, and other cruel
abuses of animals are warfare's constant attendants. After centuries
they have become the accepted norms and are ingrained in our culture
often involving the "best" people. Women of privilege proudly display
expensive furs at church, social, and cultural functions and show no
concern about the cruelty required to obtain them: steel toothed traps
that bite cruelly into whatever anatomical part they manage to snare is
one method; anal electrocution, neck snapping, and gassing are other
favorites in the mink trade. Why does a custom that causes such
immense suffering to animals not cause us to question our sanity?
Animal researchers who abuse animals during the week and then sit in
the front pews of their churches on Sunday mornings or sit on the
boards of directors of important companies and rake in enormous
salaries, deserve the same question. It applies with equal force to leaders
of commerce and culture who either are involved in, approve of, or cast
a blind eye toward animal abuse in laboratories, then step forward
proudly to accept civic honors from their communities for exceptional
services rendered. And Presidents and Trustees as well as faculty
sitting in lofty professorial chairs at universities which condone and
approve animal research do not escape the question either.

In the same spirit of acquiescence to habit, newspapers write editorials
heralding the start of the hunting season and promote the sport of killing
innocent animals with high powered rifles and telescopic sights. The loss
of human character that results from something so spectacularly unfair
and brutal merits little consideration by people intent on continuing the
bully practice of destroying those "who are weaker" than they are, just
as Isaac Bashevis Singer pointed out in the quote noted at the beginning
of this article. Moreover, the seeds granting his government the right to
enslave some weaker opponent are already planted in the soil of the
hunter's mind, since he agrees with the fundamental concept of "might
makes right," except for those few who come to their senses and rebel
by refusing to hunt. Meanwhile, large sectors of the economy, like the
pharmaceutical, meat and dairy industries, have as their foundation
some form of animal abuse whether engaging in gruesome biological
experiments, cutting the feet off of cattle or ripping off their hides while
they are still living, or turning cows into milk producing machines, and
many, many other abuses that are abundantly documented by animal
welfare workers. It is small wonder that these industries are
conscienceless when they are confronted with their deeds. Animal abuse
pervades everything. Why should they not profit economically and take
comfort in the same platitudes governing our attitudes towards animals
that permeate all the civilized world except for that Orwellian minority
that has its eyes wide open?

Today, eleven thousand years after the first domestication of animals,
human beings have become totally dependent on animals for their
existence. Even those who want no part of animal exploitation find it
almost inescapable. Twenty-seven billion animals are killed each year
in the United States alone just for food. An additional one hundred
million animals are experimented upon in animal research laboratories
internationally by the animal research industry annually. Dead animals
and animal parts collected by rendering plants from slaughter houses,
research laboratories, road kills, and every conceivable source are
turned into by-products around the world for use in just about
everything from cosmetics, soap, and plastics to the automobile tires
that transport people from place to place. They are even used in film
for moving pictures so that when people go to a movie their pleasure
may in part be derived from the by-products of animals that may have
been tortured in animal research laboratories. People are literally
washing their clothing, cleaning their homes, and bathing themselves in
dead animals unless they take care to use soap brands not made with
by-products. For entertainment purposes animals are cruelly exploited
in circuses, crammed into small cages in zoos, compelled to perform
in small spaces in aquariums, forced to race against their will in horse
and dog races, beaten into submission where most suffer lung damage
in pulling sleds in Iditarods, and stalked mercilessly until they are killed
by sadistic cowards in canned Safari hunts. Yet the overwhelming
majority of people are unconcerned and the issue of animal slavery,
their abuse and exploitation merits only a "ho-hum" unless an animal
rights organization mounts an exhibit and attempts to show the world
that the exploitation and abuse of animals is the core reason for slavery,
genocide, and war. Then "ho-hum" becomes an outrage directed at the
animal rights activists who dare to show the world what it is doing.

Mainstream media organizations consistently refer to animal rights
people in negative terms like "zealots" or "extremists" while the forces
of commerce try to brainwash everyone into accepting the view that the
rights of animals has no significance. After all, what is an animal? Just a
thing to use as we see fit, undeserving of respect, certainly not to be
confused with having anything to do with the high intellectual plateaus
upon which human beings live out their lives, and certainly not to be
compared to human beings in any way no matter how alike they may
be in form, body, the ability to express emotion, or, as science is now
beginning to discover, take an ethical position,. (See Animals at Play
(Animals and Ethics), Marc Bekoff, University of Temple Press.)

But one very important fact is beginning to take root in our consciousness.
When we stop abusing and exploiting animals, we tend to stop abusing
and exploiting our neighbors. We may then be open to finding new
directions for channeling our energies, and those directions could lead
towards a world able to function without slavery, genocide, and war.

Abolitionists believed and lived by the magnificent concept that all people
are equal. Animal rights people believe and live by the magnificent concept
that the sanctity of life extends not just to human beings, but to all of life.
It is a vision that has also been most eloquently expressed by Albert
Einstein who said, "Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by
widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the
whole of nature in its beauty."

This vision has not only philosophical, ethical, and spiritual implications,
it has immense practical value. Without its realization, society will be
forever hindered from moving to those higher levels of integration towards
which all progressive social movements strive. Without that our world of
war will continue without end.

Today the animal rights movement is gaining momentum exponentially.
It is moving forward demanding that the enslavement, abuse, and torture
of animals stop. History teaches well. Injustice and wrong can never
survive over time. And those countries that rely on it are living on a cancer
that will eventually devour them from the inside out. Nor can those societies
withstand the forces of truth, conscience, compassion, and necessity. And
these forces tell us that the exploitation and abuse of animals is inextricably
bound with slavery, genocide, and war. It's quite likely, then, that when
we stop shedding the blood of animals, we will stop shedding the blood
of our fellow human beings and we may, at long last, find peace.

David Irving is a Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude graduate of
Columbia University, class of 1980, School of General Studies. He
subsequently obtained his Masters in Music Composition at Columbia
and founded the new music organization Phoenix in New York City.

http://www.bestcyrano.org/THOMASPAINE/?p=792

Rudy Canoza
2008-08-01 11:26:57 EST
pearl wrote:
> The Monstrosity of Animal Exploitation
>
> [snip lesley's vomit]

"Exploit" merely means "use". It is ethical for humans to use animals.

Rudy Canoza
2008-08-01 12:04:36 EST
lesley bullshitted:
> Rudy H. Canoza wrote:
>
>> HIV-spewing lesley bullshitted:
>>> The Monstrosity of Animal Exploitation
>>>
>>> [snip lesley's vomit]
>
> 'The core ing [snip lesley's festering vomit]

You lose.

Pearl
2008-08-01 12:08:11 EST
Jonathan Ball <pipes@thedismalscience.noot> wrote in message news:s6mdnemuBe7dtg7VnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@earthlink.com...

> pearl wrote:
> > The Monstrosity of Animal Exploitation
> >
> > [snip lesley's vomit]

'The core ingredient in the process of one human group conquering
another was that of dehumanization. Dehumanization meant mentally
transforming the image of a respected neighbor with whom a tribe
cooperated for each other's mutual benefit, to the image of some kind
of "beast." The ideal was to select one that was particularly loathsome
and repugnant to the tribe preparing for warfare.
...'
http://www.bestcyrano.org/THOMASPAINE/?p=792

> "Exploit" merely means "use". It is ethical for humans to use animals.

'ex\ufffdploit (ek'sploit', ik-sploit')
n.
..
2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: ..
..
verb
1. To put into action or use: actuate, apply, employ, exercise, implement,
practice, use, utilize. Idioms: avail oneself of, bring into play, bring to
bear, make use of, put into practice, put to use. See used/unused.
2. To take advantage of unfairly: abuse, impose, presume, use.
See treat well/treat badly/treat.
3. To control to one's own advantage by artful or indirect means:
maneuver, manipulate, play. See control/uncontrol, straight/bent.

Antonyms Home > Library > Reference > Antonyms
exploit
Definition: misuse
Antonyms: treat fairly
..
Word Tutor Home > Library > Words > Spelling & Usage
exploit

IN BRIEF: A brilliant achievement. Also: to use selfishly or take unfair
advantage.
..'
http://www.answers.com/exploit&r=67

Rudy Canoza
2008-08-01 13:12:15 EST
HIV-spewing lesley bullshitted:
> Rudy B. Canoza wrote:
>> lesley bullshitted:

>>> 'The core ing [snip lesley's festering vomit]
>
> 'The core ing [snip lesley's festering fly-covered vomit]

Get a mop.

Pearl
2008-08-01 13:13:15 EST
Jonathan Ball <pipes@thedismalscience.noot> wrote in message news:4tudnS5NS4OOqQ7VnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@earthlink.com...
> lesley bullshitted:
> > Rudy H. Canoza wrote:
> >
> >> HIV-spewing lesley bullshitted:

> > 'The core ing [snip lesley's festering vomit]

'The core ingredient in the process of one human group conquering
another was that of dehumanization. Dehumanization meant mentally
transforming the image of a respected neighbor with whom a tribe
cooperated for each other's mutual benefit, to the image of some
kind of "beast." The ideal was to select one that was particularly
loathsome and repugnant to the tribe preparing for warfare.
...'
http://www.bestcyrano.org/THOMASPAINE/?p=792

> You lose.

'Bullies project their inadequacies, shortcomings, behaviours etc
onto other people to avoid facing up to their inadequacy and doing
something about it (learning about oneself can be painful), and to
distract and divert attention away from themselves and their
inadequacies. Projection is achieved through blame, criticism and
allegation; once you realise this, every criticism, allegation etc that
the bully makes about their target is actually an admission or
revelation about themselves.
..'
http://www.bullyoffline.org/workbully/serial.htm