Vegetarian Discussion: Soya Products Linked To Low Sperm Count

Soya Products Linked To Low Sperm Count

Dragonblaze
2008-07-28 02:22:46 EST
Soya products linked to low sperm count

PA
Thursday, 24 July 2008

Journal of Science

Scientists found that even modest consumption of soya products, such
as meat and dairy substitutes and bean curd, can have a significant
impact on sperm count.

enlarge Print Email Search
Go
Independent.co.uk Web
Bookmark & Share
Digg It
del.icio.us
Facebook
Stumbleupon
What are these?

Too much tofu may affect a man's fertility, according to a study
linking soya and low sperm count.

Scientists found that even modest consumption of soya products, such
as meat and dairy substitutes and bean curd, can have a significant
impact on sperm count.

Men who ate an average of half a serving of soya food a day had lower
concentrations of sperm than those who did not.

Low sperm count is known to make it harder for a man to conceive.

Soya compounds called isoflavones, which mimic the female sex hormone
oestrogen, are thought to be behind the effect.

Animal studies have linked high consumption of isoflavones with
infertility, but until now there has been little evidence of their
impact on human reproduction.

Sperm count ranges between 80 and 120 million sperm per millilitre
(million/ml) of semen for normal healthy men.

But researchers in the US found that among the men they studied, those
with the highest soya intake produced much less sperm. On average
their counts were 41 million/ml lower than those of men who did not
consume soya products.

The scientists, led by Dr Jorge Chavarro, from the Harvard School of
Public Health in Boston, questioned 99 men seeking help for fertility
problems about their consumption of 15 soya-based foods.

Each man was asked about his diet in the previous three months. The
foods included tofu, tempeh, soy sausages, bacon, burgers and mince,
soy milk, cheese, yoghurt and ice cream, and other soya products such
as roasted nuts, drinks, powders and energy bars.

The scientists varied serving sizes to take account of the fact that
different foods contained different levels of isoflavones. A standard
serving of tofu was said to be 115 grams, and for soya milk, one 240
millilitre cup.

Factors such as age, body mass index (BMI) which relates weight and
height, smoking, alcohol and caffeine intake, and the length of time
since last producing semen, were adjusted for.

"Men in the highest intake group had a mean soy food intake of half a
serving per day: in terms of their isoflavone content, that is
comparable to having one cup of soy milk or one serving of tofu,
tempeh or soy burgers every other day," said Dr Chavarro.

"It is important to highlight that the figure of half a serving a day
is the average intake for men in the highest intake group. Some men in
this group had intakes of soy foods as high as nearly four servings a
day."

The association between soya consumption and sperm count was stronger
in men who were overweight or obese, according to their BMI.

This applied to 72% of the group, which reflected the general
proportion of overweight and obese men in the US population.

The effect was also most pronounced in men with higher sperm counts.

"The implication is that men who have normal or high sperm counts may
be more susceptible to soy foods than men with low sperm counts," said
Dr Chavarro.

Soya appeared to have no effect on sperm activity or shape, which can
also influence fertility.

Overweight men may be extra affected because their bodies produce more
oestrogen than slimmer individuals, the researchers believe.

Writing in the journal Human Reproduction, they concluded: "We found
an inverse association between the consumption of soy foods and sperm
concentration which was more pronounced at the higher end of the sperm
concentration distribution and among overweight or obese men.

"The clinical significance of these findings remains to be determined.
Owing to the scarcity of human data in this area, it is very important
that this issue is examined further, ideally in randomised trials."

In their paper, the scientists addressed the question of why Asian
men, who eat large amounts of soya, still appear to be perfectly
fertile.

Previous studies had shown Asian men to have slightly smaller
testicles and lower sperm counts than non-Asian men, although it was
not known whether the findings were statistically significant.

One post-mortem study found that Asian men had lighter testicles than
Caucasian and Hispanic men. They also had fewer immature sperm in
their testes.

"Although it is true that Asian men consume five to 10 times more
phytoestrogens (plant versions of oestrogen) than men in our study,
there may be other factors that could make Western men more
susceptible to phytoestrogens," the scientists wrote.

"One possibility is that excess body weight modifies the relation
between phytoestrogen intake and semen quality as our data suggests.
While increasing at alarming rates, the prevalence of overweight and
obesity is still much lower in Asia than in the USA."

It is possible that higher levels of oestrogen from body fat made
reproductive organs more sensitive to oestrogen-like chemicals in the
environment, said the researchers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/soya-products-linked-to-low-sperm-count-876053.html

Rupert
2008-07-28 04:26:14 EST
On Jul 28, 2:22 pm, Dragonblaze <dragonbl...@apexmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> not known whether the findings were statistically significant.
>
> One post-mortem study found that Asian men had lighter testicles than
> Caucasian and Hispanic men. They also had fewer immature sperm in
> their testes.
>
> "Although it is true that Asian men consume five to 10 times more
> phytoestrogens (plant versions of oestrogen) than men in our study,
> there may be other factors that could make Western men more
> susceptible to phytoestrogens," the scientists wrote.
>
> "One possibility is that excess body weight modifies the relation
> between phytoestrogen intake and semen quality as our data suggests.
> While increasing at alarming rates, the prevalence of overweight and
> obesity is still much lower in Asia than in the USA."
>
> It is possible that higher levels of oestrogen from body fat made
> reproductive organs more sensitive to oestrogen-like chemicals in the

Yes, I saw this one.

Dutch
2008-07-28 05:05:54 EST
Dragonblaze wrote:

> Scientists found that even modest consumption of soya products, such
> as meat and dairy substitutes and bean curd, can have a significant
> impact on sperm count.

Eat enough of it and you become a girl.

Rudy Canoza
2008-07-28 11:06:15 EST
Dutch wrote:
> Dragonblaze wrote:
>
>> Scientists found that even modest consumption of soya products, such
>> as meat and dairy substitutes and bean curd, can have a significant
>> impact on sperm count.
>
> Eat enough of it and you become a girl.

rupie eats it by the bushel.

Crisology
2008-07-28 12:43:42 EST
On Jul 28, 2:22 am, Dragonblaze <dragonbl...@apexmail.com> wrote:
> Soya products linked to low sperm count
>
> Too much tofu may affect a man's fertility, according to a study
> linking soya and low sperm count.
>

> Low sperm count is known to make it harder for a man to conceive.

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/pr/news/story.cfm?id=1416

Maternal Beef Diet Could Impact Sperm Counts, UR Study Suggests
Wednesday, March 28, 2007

"A mother’s high beef consumption while pregnant was associated with
lower sperm counts in her son, according to a study led by researchers
at the University of Rochester.

..researchers studied semen quality for movement, concentration &
other properties & used statistical methods to relate each man's semen
quality to diet. They found men whose mothers reported eating the most
beef during pregnancy, 18% exhibited sperm counts of < 20 mill/ml -
classified by the WHO as sub-fertile. Conversely, sperm concentrations
were seen to be 24% higher for men whose mothers ate less beef & only
5 % were classified as sub-fertile. Long-term Acetone correlates w/low
reproduction."

I avoid soy & meat.

Chris

Rupert
2008-07-28 22:54:43 EST
On Jul 29, 1:06 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Dutch wrote:
> > Dragonblaze wrote:
>
> >> Scientists found that even modest consumption of soya products, such
> >> as meat and dairy substitutes and bean curd, can have a significant
> >> impact on sperm count.
>
> > Eat enough of it and you become a girl.
>
> rupie eats it by the bushel.

Not really, no, just every now and then. Certainly nowhere near half a
serving a day. Might be worth checking my sperm count, though.

A drop in your sperm count is not the same as "becoming a girl", by
the way.

I know it's hard for you to come to terms with the fact that you're
never going to have sex with me, Ball, but it's really time you
started working through it.

Rudy Canoza
2008-07-28 23:39:52 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Jul 29, 1:06 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> Dutch wrote:
>>> Eat enough of it and you become a girl.
>> rupie eats it by the bushel.
>
> Not really,

Yes, you do.

Rupert
2008-07-28 23:55:33 EST
On Jul 29, 11:39 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> >> rupie eats it by the bushel.
>
> > Not really,
>
> Yes, you do.

Oh, bravo, Ball! Let's all give him him a big clap, shall we?

Rudy Canoza
2008-07-29 00:03:13 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Jul 29, 11:39 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> Not really,
>> Yes, you do.
>
> Oh, bravo,

Yes.

Crisology
2008-07-29 00:05:10 EST
On Jul 28, 5:05 am, Dutch <n...@email.com> wrote:
> Dragonblaze wrote:

u don't really think I care about my rating on here do u?? You're the
narcissist so worried about getting archived w/multiple screen names,
defending the corrupt meat industry..

C.