Vegetarian Discussion: The Untold Costs Of Confined Animal Feeding Operations

The Untold Costs Of Confined Animal Feeding Operations

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Laurie
2008-05-31 13:45:05 EST
http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/sustainable_food/cafos-uncovered.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/4337q5

Laurie
--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

Higher Elvisarchy
2008-06-02 18:30:53 EST
her life through google.com and pretentious grant stealing studies.

"Laurie" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/sustainable_food/cafos-uncovered.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/4337q5
>
> Laurie
> --
> Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
> http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

D*@.
2008-06-03 13:51:18 EST

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

Higher Elvisarchy
2008-06-03 20:30:16 EST
but no one gives a fuck.

<*h@.> wrote in message news:i41b44dlsjqdnqi9a2vgnpi1074afa6kj3@4ax.com...

> \ufffd Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
> wood and paper products, electricity, roads and all types of
> buildings, their own diet, etc... just as everyone else does.
> What they try to avoid are products which provide life
> (and death) for farm animals, but even then they would have
> to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
> in order to be successful:
>
> Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
> Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
> Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
> Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
> Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
> Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
> Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings
>
> The meat industry provides life for the animals that it
> slaughters, and the animals live and die as a result of it
> as animals do in other habitats. They also depend on it for
> their lives as animals do in other habitats. If people consume
> animal products from animals they think are raised in decent
> ways, they will be promoting life for more such animals in the
> future. People who want to contribute to decent lives for
> livestock with their lifestyle must do it by being conscientious
> consumers of animal products, because they can not do it by
> being vegan.
> From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
> steer and whatever he happens to kill during his life, people
> get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat...that's well
> over 500 servings of meat. From a grass raised dairy cow people
> get thousands of dairy servings. Due to the influence of farm
> machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
> draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
> likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
> derived from grass raised animals. Grass raised animal products
> contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
> better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. \ufffd

Laurie
2008-06-09 12:26:59 EST
higher elvisarchy wrote:
> her life through google.com and pretentious grant stealing studies.
Incapable of a well-reasoned response?

Laurie
--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html

Laurie
2008-06-09 12:32:29 EST
dh@. wrote:

> ... to avoid the following items containing animal
> by-products in order to be successful:
> Steel Ball Bearings
dh@ can not tell us just how animals are bothered or abused
in the manufacture od steel ball bearings.
He is an idiot that can not support his posts with facts or
logic.
He just posts the same crap over, and over, and over.

Laurie

D*@.
2008-06-09 19:48:05 EST
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:30:16 GMT, "higher elvisarchy" <higherelvisarchy@elvispresleywithonea.com> wrote:

>but no one gives a fuck.

People who give a fuck give a fuck, but vegans aren't
among them. So it would be better to say something like:
But none of the supposedly ethical vegans give a fuck
enough about animals to give a fuck about their own
influence on any of them.

><dh@.> wrote in message news:i41b44dlsjqdnqi9a2vgnpi1074afa6kj3@4ax.com...
>>

>> · Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
>> wood and paper products, electricity, roads and all types of
>> buildings, their own diet, etc... just as everyone else does.
>> What they try to avoid are products which provide life
>> (and death) for farm animals, but even then they would have
>> to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
>> in order to be successful:
>>
>> Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
>> Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
>> Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
>> Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
>> Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
>> Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
>> Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings
>>
>> The meat industry provides life for the animals that it
>> slaughters, and the animals live and die as a result of it
>> as animals do in other habitats. They also depend on it for
>> their lives as animals do in other habitats. If people consume
>> animal products from animals they think are raised in decent
>> ways, they will be promoting life for more such animals in the
>> future. People who want to contribute to decent lives for
>> livestock with their lifestyle must do it by being conscientious
>> consumers of animal products, because they can not do it by
>> being vegan.
>> From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
>> steer and whatever he happens to kill during his life, people
>> get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat...that's well
>> over 500 servings of meat. From a grass raised dairy cow people
>> get thousands of dairy servings. Due to the influence of farm
>> machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
>> draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
>> likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
>> derived from grass raised animals. Grass raised animal products
>> contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat, and
>> better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. ·

D*@.
2008-06-09 19:48:28 EST
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:32:29 -0400, Laurie <no@spam.com> wrote:

>*h@. wrote:
>
>> ... to avoid the following items containing animal
>> by-products in order to be successful:
> > Steel Ball Bearings
> dh@ can not tell us just how animals are bothered or abused
>in the manufacture od steel ball bearings.

You don't give a fuck anyway, so what do you care?
Oh that's right...you don't give a fuck.

> He is an idiot

You're the one bitching about something you don't
even give a fuck about.

>that can not support his posts with facts or
>logic.
> He just posts the same crap over, and over, and over.

The things I point out will always remain true, regardless
of how much you hate them.

Phil
2008-06-10 10:49:04 EST
What you are saying about how vegans cannot contribue anything to the
quality of life nor the quantity of life slaughtered is nieve. While
you are correct in your assertation that even vegans cannot live a
life free of harm it is the purpose of veganism to minimize that
suffering. To that end i am doing my part. The nation is run on a
supply and demand concept the more people who become vegan or
vegetarian the less production of meat will be needed. While again it
is true that animals raised in factory farms are owed their life to
that process it is the question as to the quality of life that is
owed. We have comodified animals with feelings and social patterns in
order to sustain us, which based on your ideological beliefs is either
right or wrong. The one thing i think we can agree on as both
omnivore and herbivore is that the system is out of whack. The mere
production of meat is more costly than the production of vegetables.
The only reason currently that Americans are not paying 15 dollars a
pound of meat is because the government subsidizes these farms in
order to cut the final cost absorbed by the purchaser.

(see article here: http://www.celsias.com/2008/02/22/why-eating-a-big-mac-is-cheaper-than-eating-a-salad
)

The government uses .37% of its subsidizing budget on fruits and
vegetables while it uses 73% of its budget on meat, this in turn
creates an imbalance. I could quote all the negative aspects of meat
production in America including but not limited to green house gas
emissions, spoilage of land based on animal waste, the fact that meat
production costs more water per lbs of meat than vegetable production
as well as the case that the rising incident of starvation due to
poverty could be lessened by a more plant centric diet and subsidizing
share.

Undoubtedly i will hear in response that my reasoning argue for the
destructions or lessoning of the numbers of factory farmed animals
which can in turn be construed as a desire to kill animals in
confinement. I think the most logical step would be to gradually
decrease the dependency on farm animals which would also decrease the
amount of livestock bred so that in a few generations time the amount
of suffering and slaughter could be minimized. While i have the grand
hope that the world would adopt compassionate eating habits i am a
realist when it comes to the likely hood of that within my lifetime.
There are many things ingrained into the social consciousness through
memetics and old world thinking that will continue to perpetuate the
myth that animal based diets are needed and one cannot succeed on a
plant based diet. So it is my hope that by adopting a wellfarist
outlook seeking better conditions for livestock and advocating
concurrently for people to consider a vegan lifestyle will make the
most impact on the care and well being of animals.

So in conclusion while it is one thing to say that being a vegan does
not exempt you from the tangential abuse or harm of animals it is
quite another to say that being a vegan does not help Decrease the
amount of suffering caused by the meat and dairy industry. It is more
an argument about semantics than it is about facts. Everyday i learn
of something that i can do or change that helps directly my role in
the needless torture and killing of animals for my wellbeing or
entertainment, and everyday i try my best to reflect on the nature of
my choices in order to understand fully my impact. This is truly
conscious consumerism.

Laurie
2008-06-10 11:26:30 EST
dh@. wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 00:30:16 GMT, "higher elvisarchy"
> <higherelvisarchy@elvispresleywithonea.com> wrote:
>
>> but no one gives a fuck.
>
> People who give a fuck give a fuck, but vegans aren't
> among them. So it would be better to say something like:
> But none of the supposedly ethical vegans give a fuck
> enough about animals to give a fuck about their own
> influence on any of them.

Hey, dh@, could you stop posting unscientific nonsense to
alt.food.vegan.SCIENCE. We discuss SCIENCE there, not your
mindless propaganda.

Laurie
--
Scientifically-credible info on plant-based human diets:
http://ecologos.org/ttdd.html
Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)