Vegetarian Discussion: Further Insight Into Jonathan Ball's Philosophy Of What Counts As A Real Word

Further Insight Into Jonathan Ball's Philosophy Of What Counts As A Real Word
Posts: 93

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)

Rupert
2008-04-08 03:51:51 EST
In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and their Limitations" there is
a section titled "Axiomatizability" in which a detailed and precise
definition of "axiomatizable" is given. The word appears in the
statement of a theorem in that section. It also appears in the
statement of an important theorem in Stephen Simpson's highly
acclaimed "Subsystems of Second Order Arithmetic".

I typed "Shorter Oxford English Dictionary axiomatizable" into Google
and clicked "I'm feeling lucky". I got a logic paper published by
Oxford University Press. Unfortunately the Shorter Oxford English
Dictionary is not available on-line for free.

The number of hits for "axiomatizable" on Google is astronomical. This
article might be of some interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_class

We also have this:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Axiomatizable+class


When we type "axiomatizable dictionary" into Google, the first hit we
get are the entries for "axiomatize" and "axiomatization" in Merriam-
Webster, which was Ball's original source. Similarly, Merriam-Webster
contains "plagiarize" but not "plagiarizable", although the latter
word gets a large number of hits on Google.

So maybe according to Ball's philosophy, "axiomatize" is a real word
but "axiomatizable" is not, "plagiarize" is a real word but
"plagiarizable" is not. I don't know. Would that I could fathom Ball's
subtle mind.

So anyway, apparently when I used "axiomatizable" in my paper I was
engaging in "inappropriate use of specialized jargon". (Ball, please
note: this is satire, I am not conceding your point of view here.
Sorry, people, Ball needs to have points like that explained to him).
Presumably Stephen Simpson was also doing so in his highly-acclaimed
"Subsystems of Second Order Arithmetic". And so Ball was entitled to
call me a "pompous fat fuck". And I'm continuing to debate Ball on the
matter out of a masochistic compulsion rather than a desire for comic
material. And the fact that he "mockingly and derisively snips my
posts" means that he is winning.

And so the fun goes on.

Rudy Canoza
2008-04-08 04:02:44 EST
rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
> In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]

Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!

Whining, Crying, Bawl
2008-04-08 13:13:42 EST
On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>
> > In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
> > [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
>
> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!


See Goobs?......you're winning again..........you snipped all his
text.




Rudy Canoza
2008-04-08 13:15:45 EST
Whining, Crying, Bawl wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>>
>>> In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
>>> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
>> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
>
>
> See Rudy?

Yes, I do, runny. rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.

Mr. Smartypants
2008-04-08 19:37:33 EST
On Apr 8, 11:15 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Whining, Crying, Bawl wrote:
> > On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> >> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>
> >>> In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
> >>> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
> >> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
>
> > See Rudy?
>
> Yes, I do, runny.  rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.


Watching Rupert take you apart is hilarious.

Your only defense is to delete all his text.

LOL!!




Joseph Littleshoes
2008-04-08 22:10:40 EST
Mr. Smartypants wrote:
> On Apr 8, 11:15�am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>
>>Whining, Crying, Bawl wrote:
>>
>>>On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>>>
>>>>rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>>
>>>>>In Mosh� Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
>>>>>[snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
>>>>
>>>>Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
>>
>>>See Rudy?
>>
>>Yes, I do, runny. �rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.
>
>
>
> Watching Rupert take you apart is hilarious.
>
> Your only defense is to delete all his text.
>
> LOL!!
>
>
>

Once was funny, i have taken to filtering him in every group he show up
in, he's a little too pathological to remain "funny" for very long.
--
JL

Rudy Canoza
2008-04-08 22:39:50 EST
runny hamilton blew rupie:
> On Apr 8, 11:15 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> runny hamilton blew rupie:
>>> On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>>>> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>>>>> In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
>>>>> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
>>>> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
>>> See Rudy?
>> Yes, I do, runny. rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.
>
>
> Watching rupie take a shit in public is hilarious.

If you say so, runny.

You're a self-admitted jerk-off, runny, so no one pays much attention to
your opinions.

Rudy Canoza
2008-04-08 22:41:26 EST
little joey tightass blew runny hamilton:
> runny hamilton blew little joey tightass:
>> On Apr 8, 11:15�am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>>
>>> runny hamilton blew rupie:
>>>
>>>> On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>>>
>>>>>> In Mosh� Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
>>>>>> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest
>>>>>> wheeze]
>>>>>
>>>>> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
>>>
>>>> See Rudy?
>>>
>>> Yes, I do, runny. �rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.
>>
>>
>>
>> Watching rupie take a shit in public is hiliarious.
>>
>
> I like candy bars.

Okay.

Rupert
2008-04-09 01:26:43 EST
On Apr 8, 7:39 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> runny hamilton blew rupie:
>
> > On Apr 8, 11:15 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> >> runny hamilton blew rupie:
> >>> On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> >>>> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
> >>>>> In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
> >>>>> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
> >>>> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
> >>> See Rudy?
> >> Yes, I do, runny.  rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.
>
> > Watching rupie take a shit in public is hilarious.
>
> If you say so, runny.
>
> You're a self-admitted jerk-off, runny, so no one pays much attention to
> your opinions.

That's right, Ball. It's you we listen to. Because you're a master of
logic and philosophy

http://groups.google.com/group/talk.politics.animals/msg/fe68181014bd68d5?dmode=source

and you're by far the smartest person on this newsgroup.

http://groups.google.com/group/talk.politics.animals/msg/c7f4f688ca54d38f?dmode=source

That's why we need your help. Enlighten us as to what counts as a real
word. Please help us, Ball, we crave your wisdom. What is the final
authoritative source for what counts as a real word? Is it Merriam-
Webster? Or does it depend on what Ball has most recently typed into
Google? Is "plagiarizable" a real word?

Tell us all about it, Ball. We need to know.


Rudy Canoza
2008-04-09 01:34:31 EST
rupie blew runny hamilton:
> On Apr 8, 7:39 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> runny hamilton blew rupie:
>>
>>> On Apr 8, 11:15 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>>>> runny hamilton blew rupie:
>>>>> On Apr 8, 2:02 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>>>>>> rupie, the World's Smarterst Boy, earnestly wheezed:
>>>>>>> In Moshé Machover's "Set Theory, Logic and
>>>>>>> [snip 318 words of wretchedly dull, plodding, leaden but earnest wheeze]
>>>>>> Too funny, rupie - just too fucking funny!
>>>>> See Rudy?
>>>> Yes, I do, runny. rupie's self-puffery is truly hilarious.
>>> Watching rupie take a shit in public is hilarious.
>> If you say so, runny.
>>
>> You're a self-admitted jerk-off, runny, so no one pays much attention to
>> your opinions.
>
> That's right, Rudy.

Yes, it is, rupie.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron