Vegetarian Discussion: Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter

Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter

Old Codger
2008-03-29 11:15:30 EST
Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter
http://www.furisdead.com/feat-sealhunt-faq.asp

How Many Seals Are Killed Annually?

In 2005, the government quota for the number of seals who could be
killed was 320,000, and in 2006, it was raised by 5,000 because of
government reports that the seal population is "flourishing." However,
scientists argue that the Canadian government failed to take into
account changes in the environment, like food availability, toxins,
and global warming (which may adversely affect the populations of harp
seals, because they give birth on ice floes) when setting
"sustainable" hunting quotas.

Are Baby Seals Still Being Killed?
It is legal to kill seal pups when they are about 12 days old, or as
soon as they have molted their white natal fur. During last year's
hunt, almost all the seals killed were 3 months old or younger. Many
had not learned how to swim or eaten their first solid meal. They are
helpless and have no escape from their violent end.

How Are the Seals Killed?
Sealers bludgeon seals with clubs and "hakapiks" (clubs with a metal
hook on the end), drag conscious seals across the ice floes with boat
hooks, and toss dead and dying animals into heaps and leave their
carcasses to rot because there is no market for their meat. Seals are
also shot, but bludgeoning is preferred, because pelt buyers deduct
money for every bullet hole in a seal's skin. Veterinarians who
studied a past hunt concluded that the hunters failed to comply with
Canada's basic animal welfare standards and that 42 percent of the
seals appeared to have been skinned alive.

Read an eyewitness account from last year's hunt. Rebecca Aldworth, a
native Newfoundlander, who for years has worked to stop the seal
slaughter, described this scene during last year's hunt:

"A movement catches my eye, and I realize with horror that a clubbed
baby seal is still conscious. She is writhing around on the ice in
pain, moving her flippers. She lies next to another seal who has been
killed, vacant eyes staring up, blood already frozen in the ice under
her mouth. It is a macabre scene—the dead and the dying huddled
together here in the rain."
Aldworth says that the seal "is trying to crawl and making anguished
sounds. … She is trying so hard to live, and I know there is no hope
for her. She has her eyes tightly shut, as if to keep out the sight of
the dead seals around her."

Do Harp Seals Contribute to the Depletion of Cod Populations?
The scientific community has concluded that the cause of the depletion
of fish stocks off Canada's East Coast is human over-fishing. Blaming
seals for disappearing fish is a convenient way for the fishing
industry to divert attention from its irresponsible and
environmentally destructive practices. Harp seals, who are the primary
target of the hunt, eat many different species-—only 3 percent of a
harp seal's diet is commercially fished cod—and they also eat many cod
predators.

Is the Seal Hunt Necessary for Canada's Economy?
The Canadian fishing industry is propped up by millions of dollars in
subsidies every year. Local fishers make one-twentieth of their income
from seal hunting and the rest from commercial fisheries. Even in
Newfoundland, where 90 percent of sealers live, revenues from the hunt
account for less than 1 percent of the province's economy. Nor is
sealing a livelihood for native tribes; most sealers are commercial
fishers who use large boats to break through the ice to reach the baby
seals.

International boycotts in response to the slaughter further weaken the
"economic" argument. Italy and Greenland recently banned imports of
seal pelts, and more than 400 restaurants and companies have pledged
to boycott some or all Canadian seafood until the seal hunt is ended.

You Can Help
Write to the Canada Tourism Commission and tell it you will not visit
Canada as long as the bloody seal hunt continues:

Michele McKenzie
President and CEO
Canada Tourism Commission
55 Metcalfe St., Ste. 600
Ottawa
Ontario K1P 6LS
Canada

Boycott all fur. As long as there is a demand for fur-trimmed jackets,
fur boots, and fur coats, seals will continue to be beaten bloody on
the ice.

Pearl
2008-03-30 07:03:11 EST
[...]

2008-03-30 07:21:13 EST
URGENT FOR THE SEALS!!! Tell Sen. Reid to put seal slaughter
bill back on floor for vote!

Here's the latest on Senate Resolution 118 - to Stop CANADA's
SEAL HUNT - it is 2 years old and has died in Committee - BUT you
CAN call Senator Harry Reid - he is the chair of the Senate Foreign
Relations Committee, and Majority Leader, and will determine what
bills are put on the senate floor for discussion. Call Reid's office
at

202-224-3542

Ask Reid to take Sen. Res. 118 OUT OF COMMITTEE and put it
on the Senate Floor for discussion. Tell him this issue is URGENT
now, because the seal slaughter is set to begin as early as tomorrow.

You can remind him that IT PASSED the HOUSE already, and has
to be passed by the Senate NOW, as the word is out now that it's in
the hands of the SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE,
and the vast majority of Americans want this debacle stopped.

Then you can also contact your own senators - to make sure they
know the issue is going to be brought up again, and tell them to
VOTE for Senate Resolution 118 (and cosponsor if it is needed);
senate staffers have said this will still be effective.

Make the Phone Call to REID'S OFFICE then

CLICK HERE - URGENT - to take action
https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_seal_resolution

this page has a link to your senators contact numbers

Support Senate Resolution to End Seal Hunt
Taffy Lee Williams
New York Whale and Dolphin Action League
PO Box 273
Tuckahoe, NY 10707 USA
914-793-9186 / 407-404-2046 cell
www.ny4whales.org
Because when we save whales, we save ourselves.

The Canadian seal huntt is the largest commercial slaughter of marine
mammals in the world.

Already, the disappearing ice caused by global warming has devastated
seal populations in Canada's North Atlantic waters. It's estimated that
more than a quarter of the seal pups died in 2007, and the survivors were
targeted by sealers. Despite these catastrophic events, the Canadian
government is allowing fishermen to kill 275,000 seals in the 2008 hunt.

Last year, pups between just 12 days and 12 weeks of age made up more
than 95 percent of the seals killed?either by clubbing or shooting. An
independent team of veterinarians observed a previous seal hunt and
concluded that the hunt failed to comply with Canada's basic animal
welfare regulations.

A Senate resolution ( S. Res. 118), sponsored by Sens. Carl Levin (D-MI),
Susan Collins (R-ME), and Joseph Biden (D-DE), is calling on the
Canadian government to end the brutal and senseless seal hunt. Please ask
your senators to co-sponsor S. Res. 118. If they are already co-sponsors,
please express your thanks.

TAKE ACTION

Check to see if either, or both, of your U.S. Senators are co-sponsors of
S. Res. 118. If so, please make a brief, polite phone call expressing your
thanks. Click here to look up your Senators and their office phone numbers.
If your Senators have not yet co-sponsored S. Res. 118, please call and
urge them to join in the effort to end the brutal seal hunt in Canada.

After you make your phone calls, fill in and submit the form on the right to
automatically send a follow-up email to your Senators urging them to
support the resolution. Congress receives a lot of email, so it's important
that you edit the subject line and the message with your own words so that
your legislators know the message came from a real constituent.

Senator Schumer - call him and tell him to Cosponsor Senate Resolution 118:

Schumer
U.S. Senate
313 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 205100001
Ph: (202) 224-6542
Fax: (202) 228-3027

757 Third Avenue
Suite 17-02
New York, NY 100172013
Ph: (212) 486-4430
Fax: (212) 486-7693

Contact CLINTON's Office and tell her to COSPONSOR
Senate Resolution 118 to Stop the Seal Slaughter
U.S. Senate
476 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 205100001
Ph: (202) 224-4451
Fax: (202) 228-0282

or
780 Third Avenue
Suite 2601
New York, NY 100172024
Ph: (212) 688-6262
Fax: (212) 688-7444

Taffy Lee Williams
New York Whale and Dolphin Action League
PO Box 273
Yonkers, NY 10707 USA
www.ny4whales.org
914-793-9186 / 407-404-2046 cell
Because when we save whales, we save ourselves.

D*@.
2008-03-31 01:38:56 EST
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:03:11 +0100, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:

>Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter
>http://www.furisdead.com/feat-sealhunt-faq.asp
>
>How Many Seals Are Killed Annually?
>
>In 2005, the government quota for the number of seals who could be
>killed was 320,000, and in 2006, it was raised by 5,000 because of
>government reports that the seal population is "flourishing." However,
>scientists argue that the Canadian government failed to take into
>account changes in the environment, like food availability, toxins,
>and global warming (which may adversely affect the populations of
>harp seals, because they give birth on ice floes) when setting
>"sustainable" hunting quotas.

Meaning the environment won't support as many, so even
more should be killed. People like yourself and worse will no
doubt be responsible for any suffering from overpopulation.

>Are Baby Seals Still Being Killed?
>
>It is legal to kill seal pups when they are about 12 days old, or as
>soon as they have molted their white natal fur. During last year's
>hunt, almost all the seals killed were 3 months old or younger. Many
>had not learned how to swim or eaten their first solid meal. They are
>helpless and have no escape from their violent end.
>
>How Are the Seals Killed?
>
>Sealers bludgeon seals with clubs and "hakapiks" (clubs with a metal
>hook on the end), drag conscious seals across the ice floes with boat
>hooks

Stuff like that is really inexcusable. Probably using a captive
bolt would be best, don't you think? Or don't you care?

Roy
2008-03-31 15:00:39 EST
On Mar 30, 11:38 pm, dh@. wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:03:11 +0100, "pearl" <t...@signguestbook.ie> wrote:
> >Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter
> >http://www.furisdead.com/feat-sealhunt-faq.asp
>
> >How Many Seals Are Killed Annually?
>
> >In 2005, the government quota for the number of seals who could be
> >killed was 320,000, and in 2006, it was raised by 5,000 because of
> >government reports that the seal population is "flourishing." However,
> >scientists argue that the Canadian government failed to take into
> >account changes in the environment, like food availability, toxins,
> >and global warming (which may adversely affect the populations of
> >harp seals, because they give birth on ice floes) when setting
> >"sustainable" hunting quotas.
>
>     Meaning the environment won't support as many, so even
> more should be killed. People like yourself and worse will no
> doubt be responsible for any suffering from overpopulation.
>
> >Are Baby Seals Still Being Killed?
>
> >It is legal to kill seal pups when they are about 12 days old, or as
> >soon as they have molted their white natal fur. During last year's
> >hunt, almost all the seals killed were 3 months old or younger. Many
> >had not learned how to swim or eaten their first solid meal. They are
> >helpless and have no escape from their violent end.
>
> >How Are the Seals Killed?
>
> >Sealers bludgeon seals with clubs and "hakapiks" (clubs with a metal
> >hook on the end), drag conscious seals across the ice floes with boat
> >hooks
>
>     Stuff like that is really inexcusable. Probably using a captive
> bolt would be best, don't you think? Or don't you care?

No, we don't care.

Pearl
2008-03-31 16:35:23 EST
<*h@.> wrote in message news:j6u0v3d42ueimrb17hqvdl6eadaesh56o0@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:03:11 +0100, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:
>
> >Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter
> >http://www.furisdead.com/feat-sealhunt-faq.asp
> >
> >How Many Seals Are Killed Annually?
> >
> >In 2005, the government quota for the number of seals who could be
> >killed was 320,000, and in 2006, it was raised by 5,000 because of
> >government reports that the seal population is "flourishing." However,
> >scientists argue that the Canadian government failed to take into
> >account changes in the environment, like food availability, toxins,
> >and global warming (which may adversely affect the populations of
> >harp seals, because they give birth on ice floes) when setting
> >"sustainable" hunting quotas.
>
> Meaning the environment won't support as many, so even
> more should be killed. People like yourself and worse will no
> doubt be responsible for any suffering from overpopulation.

Rats are consuming and contaminating your food,
and termites are destroying your house. Do you:

a. deal with the threats to your health and security.

b. kill yourself.

D*@.
2008-04-02 01:55:56 EST
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:35:23 +0100, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message news:j6u0v3d42ueimrb17hqvdl6eadaesh56o0@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:03:11 +0100, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:
>>
>> >Frequently Asked Questions About Canada's Seal Slaughter
>> >http://www.furisdead.com/feat-sealhunt-faq.asp
>> >
>> >How Many Seals Are Killed Annually?
>> >
>> >In 2005, the government quota for the number of seals who could be
>> >killed was 320,000, and in 2006, it was raised by 5,000 because of
>> >government reports that the seal population is "flourishing." However,
>> >scientists argue that the Canadian government failed to take into
>> >account changes in the environment, like food availability, toxins,
>> >and global warming (which may adversely affect the populations of
>> >harp seals, because they give birth on ice floes) when setting
>> >"sustainable" hunting quotas.
>>
>> Meaning the environment won't support as many, so even
>> more should be killed. People like yourself and worse will no
>> doubt be responsible for any suffering from overpopulation.
>
>Rats are consuming and contaminating your food,
>and termites are destroying your house. Do you:
>
>a. deal with the threats to your health and security.

Yes.

>b. kill yourself.

Not yet. Maybe never. Hopefully if ever it won't be in order
to make things easier for beings of other species to survive.