Vegetarian Discussion: Did The Quality Of Cheese Go Down Over The Years?

Did The Quality Of Cheese Go Down Over The Years?

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Per K. Off
2008-03-19 06:33:00 EST
I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?

Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
years.

What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
cheese over the years?

O*@hotmail.com
2008-03-19 08:13:22 EST
On Mar 19, 3:33 am, "Per K. Off" <newestemailaddr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland.  What happened?
>
> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> years.
>
> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> cheese over the years?

The production quality of whey protein concentrate, water, aluminium
phosphate, sodium phosphate, alginate, sodium citrate, apocarotenal,
annatto and benzoate isn't as good as it used to be. Hard to find the
all-natural just-like-grandma-used-to-make whey protein concentrate in
our age. Plus the price of aluminium has sky-rocketed. Instead, many
American cheesemakers now use cheaper and inferior substitutes like
real dairy cream, rennet and pure sea salt. And nothing else! Some
even try to save money further by refusing to pasteurise and
homogenise; and by adding truffles, porcini, dark ale, herbs, and
spices to act as cheap fillers. That's how desperate American cheese
has become!

With the quality of American processed cheese going down, some
consumers had to resort to buying cheap substitutes like 1-day-old
bufalo mozarella (they don't even take time to matute it!), 7-year-old
(!) parmeggiano (these brain-dead slobs forgot to throw it out of the
fridge after the first 3 months), still-liquid teleme, vaucheron and
camembert, stinking-like-dirty-sox alsace muenster and taleggio, etc!

The stores are so confused now that they shrug their shoulders, give
up, throw hundreds of cheeses on the counter (some cheeses don't even
have the Kraft seal-of-quality on them!) and expect the consumers to
wade through this mess.

Bruce Olin
2008-03-19 10:50:22 EST

<ostap_bender_1900@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 19, 3:33 am, "Per K. Off" <newestemailaddr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?
>
> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> years.
>
> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> cheese over the years?

The production quality of whey protein concentrate, water, aluminium
phosphate, sodium phosphate, alginate, sodium citrate, apocarotenal,
annatto and benzoate isn't as good as it used to be. Hard to find the
all-natural just-like-grandma-used-to-make whey protein concentrate in
our age. Plus the price of aluminium has sky-rocketed. Instead, many
American cheesemakers now use cheaper and inferior substitutes like
real dairy cream, rennet and pure sea salt. And nothing else! Some
even try to save money further by refusing to pasteurise and
homogenise; and by adding truffles, porcini, dark ale, herbs, and
spices to act as cheap fillers. That's how desperate American cheese
has become!

With the quality of American processed cheese going down, some
consumers had to resort to buying cheap substitutes like 1-day-old
bufalo mozarella (they don't even take time to matute it!), 7-year-old
(!) parmeggiano (these brain-dead slobs forgot to throw it out of the
fridge after the first 3 months), still-liquid teleme, vaucheron and
camembert, stinking-like-dirty-sox alsace muenster and taleggio, etc!

The stores are so confused now that they shrug their shoulders, give
up, throw hundreds of cheeses on the counter (some cheeses don't even
have the Kraft seal-of-quality on them!) and expect the consumers to
wade through this mess.

But we'll always have Velveeta...
http://www.kraftfoods.com/velveeta/Home
Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Bruce Olin

Dave Smith
2008-03-19 11:08:47 EST
"Per K. Off" wrote:

> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?
>
> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> years.
>
> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> cheese over the years?

While I have not had much experience with American cheese, we had some
good friends living up here for a few years who frequently commented how
much better Canadians cheese was than American. After they moved back to
the US they made several trips back up here and always stocked up on
cheese to take back.

I have noticed a decline in the quality of the mass produced cheddar
here, but over the years I have been buying better cheeses. Maybe the
cheap stuff just tastes worse in comparison.

Rudy Canoza
2008-03-19 11:28:26 EST
On Mar 19, 5:13 am, ostap_bender_1...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 19, 3:33 am, "Per K. Off" <newestemailaddr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> > flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?

What the...are you completely nuts? American "cheese" was always the
epitome of bland, insipid crap. It isn't even really cheese; if you
look at a package of the bland insipid crap, it says that it's a
"cheese food".

I couldn't stand the stuff even as a kid, and I grew up in the 1950s
and 1960s. It, along with Velveeta (double hurl), was a staple of
school cafeteria lunches and coffee shop sandwiches. My mom, despite
growing up a downstate Illinois farm girl in the '20s and '30s,
somehow developed an appreciation for stronger flavors and generous
use of spices and seasonings, and cheese to us was the sharpest aged
Cheddar she could find and afford.

People who like bland, insipid American "cheese" and say so publicly
are basically walking around with big signs on their backs that say,
"I have a cardboard palate - kick my ass!"

> > Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> > years.
>
> > What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> > cheese over the years?
>
> The production quality of whey protein concentrate, water, aluminium
> phosphate, sodium phosphate, alginate, sodium citrate, apocarotenal,
> annatto and benzoate isn't as good as it used to be.

Ha ha ha ha ha! You got it spot-on!

> Hard to find the
> all-natural just-like-grandma-used-to-make whey protein concentrate in
> our age. Plus the price of aluminium has sky-rocketed. Instead, many
> American cheesemakers now use cheaper and inferior substitutes like
> real dairy cream, rennet and pure sea salt. And nothing else! Some
> even try to save money further by refusing to pasteurise and
> homogenise; and by adding truffles, porcini, dark ale, herbs, and
> spices to act as cheap fillers. That's how desperate American cheese
> has become!

About 14 years ago, I was invited along as a monitor for a group of
schoolkids traveling to France; I speak nearly fluent French, and the
French teacher at the school, who organized the trip for his students,
is a friend of mine. One of the stops was in a town near Dijon in
Bourgogne (Burgundy, for the American "cheese" aficionados.) We ate
dinner at a superb restaurant, and near the end, the sommelier de
fromage wheeled a cart to our table that must have had forty different
cheeses. I joked with him and said, "You can just leave that cart
right here for a while, and go take a well-deserved break."

> With the quality of American processed cheese going down, some
> consumers had to resort to buying cheap substitutes like 1-day-old
> bufalo mozarella (they don't even take time to matute it!), 7-year-old
> (!) parmeggiano (these brain-dead slobs forgot to throw it out of the
> fridge after the first 3 months), still-liquid teleme, vaucheron and
> camembert, stinking-like-dirty-sox alsace muenster and taleggio, etc!

I always tell people that the best cheeses are the ones that smell as
if a jungle commando just removed his boot and sock and waved his foot
under your nose.

> The stores are so confused now that they shrug their shoulders, give
> up, throw hundreds of cheeses on the counter (some cheeses don't even
> have the Kraft seal-of-quality on them!) and expect the consumers to
> wade through this mess.

Thanks for the commentary and laughs.

BD
2008-03-19 12:53:56 EST

"Dave Smith" <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> "Per K. Off" wrote:
>
>> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
>> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?
>>
>> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
>> years.
>>
>> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
>> cheese over the years?
>
> While I have not had much experience with American cheese, we had some
> good friends living up here for a few years who frequently commented how
> much better Canadians cheese was than American. After they moved back to
> the US they made several trips back up here and always stocked up on
> cheese to take back.
>
> I have noticed a decline in the quality of the mass produced cheddar
> here, but over the years I have been buying better cheeses. Maybe the
> cheap stuff just tastes worse in comparison.

The original poster is a troll, but Mr. Olin's reply was priceless!

Rudy Canoza
2008-03-19 13:10:47 EST
On Mar 19, 9:53 am, "BD" <no...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Dave Smith" <adavid.sm...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > "Per K. Off" wrote:
>
> >> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> >> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?
>
> >> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> >> years.
>
> >> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> >> cheese over the years?
>
> > While I have not had much experience with American cheese, we had some
> > good friends living up here for a few years who frequently commented how
> > much better Canadians cheese was than American. After they moved back to
> > the US they made several trips back up here and always stocked up on
> > cheese to take back.
>
> > I have noticed a decline in the quality of the mass produced cheddar
> > here, but over the years I have been buying better cheeses. Maybe the
> > cheap stuff just tastes worse in comparison.
>
> The original poster is a troll,

You're right. I didn't catch it first time around, as I was reading
the op's comments in someone else's reply. Pretty obvious on a second
reading.

> but Mr. Olin's reply was priceless!

I think it was from the poster previous to Olin, but whoever it was,
it was indeed funny.

Per K. Off
2008-03-19 13:44:30 EST
On Mar 19, 11:53 am, "BD" <no...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Dave Smith" <adavid.sm...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > "Per K. Off" wrote:
>
> >> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> >> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. What happened?
>
> >> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> >> years.
>
> >> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> >> cheese over the years?
>
> > While I have not had much experience with American cheese, we had some
> > good friends living up here for a few years who frequently commented how
> > much better Canadians cheese was than American. After they moved back to
> > the US they made several trips back up here and always stocked up on
> > cheese to take back.
>
> > I have noticed a decline in the quality of the mass produced cheddar
> > here, but over the years I have been buying better cheeses. Maybe the
> > cheap stuff just tastes worse in comparison.
>
> The original poster is a troll, but Mr. Olin's reply was priceless!

Having a question about cheese isn't being a troll, calling a guy
asking a question a troll is being a troll.

Please if you're going to only make replies that insult me don't reply
at all. I want this to be a nice thread with nice people. Not name
callers.

Thank you.

Sheldon
2008-03-19 15:06:29 EST
"Per K. Off" CROSS POSTER wrote:
> I remember a slice of American cheese used to taste really good and
> flavorful and now it's like they are all bland. �What happened?
>
> Seriously, I know I'm not the only one that has noticed this over the
> years.
>
> What do you think the reason is for the taste going down in American
> cheese over the years?

The only reason is that you're not buying American cheese. You're
buying packages of those individually wrapped faux cheese slices (some
are real cheese but extremely poor quality) , they all taste awful.
If you buy your American cheese at the deli, fresh sliced from a big
block, then you will recieve the same product that has essentially
gone unchanged for a hundred years. Many of the major dairies, like
Land O Lakes, produce quality American cheese. And don't worry about
the yellow color, it's natural anetto, the same colorant that's been
used in the world's finest Cheddar for over a hundred years, and most
butter. Dying cheese yellow began a long time ago in the UK by the
cheddar makers. People have become so used to the coloring of food
that it has become traditional, people do eat primarily with their
eyes. The only reason dairy products are dyed is so the makers have a
way to distinguish their product... each uses a particular formula
that's different for each manufacturer, like a fingerprint. The
different brands of cheeses and butters are a very slightly different
shade of yellow... nowadays a spectrometer reading is used to ID
against batch numbers within each brand.,, even white American cheese
is not snow white, it contains some amount of dye.

Notbob
2008-03-19 15:11:26 EST
On 2008-03-19, Per K. Off <newestemailaddress@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please if you're going to only make replies that insult me don't reply
> at all. I want this to be a nice thread with nice people. Not name
> callers.

Anyone who cross-posts from a pro-wrestling newsgroup to a cooking newsgroup
is a troll, despite your protests to the contrary.

nb
Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)