Vegetarian Discussion: Humans Inherently Owe Animals

Humans Inherently Owe Animals

Pearl
2008-03-05 08:44:49 EST
Daily Evergreen. 4 March 2008.

Humans inherently owe animals. Massive meat recall reminds
us of the dangers of relegating other creatures to food status.

Nickolas Conrad

During the past month, the U.S. has been undergoing the
nation's largest recall of meat. The U.S. Department of
Agriculture recalled 143 million pounds last week alone,
according to CNN.

Westland/Hallmark Meat Co. was secretly investigated for six
weeks due to a video supplied by animal rights activists
working for the Humane Society of the United States. The video
showed footage of sick, crippled cows being kicked, shoved,
jabbed in the eyes and shocked to force them into the
slaughterhouse.

While some are upset about the inhumane treatment of the sick
animals, most people are outraged by the potentially
contaminated beef.

As an animal rights activist, I feel this represents another
way human society continues to commit atrocities against other
sentient creatures. While humans demand fair treatment for
animals, most people are not willing to expand their
compassion for the lives of other sentient creatures'
emotional and psychological well-being.

Since we are one animal among others who share a common
descent, nervous system, similar emotional capacities and a
biological brain, it is evident other animals are ruthlessly
exploited. If we claim to be a moral animal who is able to
differentiate between right and wrong, based on the suffering
we cause others, we are morally obligated to consider our
exploitation of creatures who also fight for their lives and
continued existence.

Because other animals are unable to communicate and conceive
of themselves collectively, they cannot tell us to stop
killing them. They are the silent victims whose voices can
never be heard. And because they cannot protest our
exploitation of them, we excuse our behavior as a process of
nature.

Yet, if we are moral animals, we are obligated to take notice
of the harm and suffering we cause other beings. As perhaps
the only animal who is truly able to expand its moral horizon
beyond itself, and who now dominates and controls the features
and state of the world, it is unethical to ignore our
obligations to other creatures who are subject to our mercy
and care.

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk, but,
Can they suffer?" Jeremy Bentham wrote, forming the foundation
for his ethical philosophy in the 1700s.

We are not alone on this planet, nor are we gods to these
creatures who have shared it before we came into existence.
But sadly, due to our population growth, environmental impact
and technological understanding, their lives are in our hands.

We are guilty of "speciesism," which is "a prejudice or
attitude of bias in favor of the interests of the members of
one's own species and against those of members of other
species," Peter Singer wrote in his book "Animal Liberation."

I know many people who love their pets, recognize their
emotional states and intelligence, but still support the
slaughter and consumption of nonhuman meat. Because they are
aware of their complicated biological and emotional lives, dog
and cat lovers would never consume their pets - even if they
were factory-farmed and cheaply available.

Yet, if animals are not cute, furry and domesticated, it is
acceptable to farm, kill and eat them. Our moral consideration
should not stop merely at our level of familiarity.

The massive meat recall gives us a moment to reflect on our
treatment of other animals. As a civilization we need to
expand our moral compass to include other animals that have
interests of their own, pursue their own emotional desires and
are able to suffer just as greatly as ourselves.

http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/24964

Rudy Canoza
2008-03-05 10:17:42 EST
pearl wrote:
> Daily Evergreen. 4 March 2008.
>
> Humans inherently owe animals. Massive meat recall reminds
> us of the dangers of relegating other creatures to food status.
>
> Nickolas Conrad
>
> During the past month,
> [snip shit hemorrhage]

Write something original for a change.

Mr.Smartypants
2008-03-05 15:10:39 EST
On Mar 5, 8:17 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.not> wrote:
> pearl wrote:
> > Daily Evergreen. 4 March 2008.
>
> > Humans inherently owe animals.  Massive meat recall reminds
> > us of the dangers of relegating other creatures to food status.
>
> > Nickolas Conrad
>
> > During the past month,
> > [snip shit hemorrhage]
>
> Write something original for a change.

You're an asshole.

Is that original enough for you Goobs?

Campaign For Fresh Air
2008-03-13 13:25:38 EST
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:44:49 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
wrote:

> [...]
>species," Peter Singer wrote in his book "Animal Liberation."
>
>I know many people who love their pets, recognize their
>emotional states and intelligence, but still support the
>slaughter and consumption of nonhuman meat. Because they are
>aware of their complicated biological and emotional lives, dog
>and cat lovers would never consume their pets - even if they
>were factory-farmed and cheaply available.
>
>Yet, if animals are not cute, furry and domesticated, it is
>acceptable to farm, kill and eat them. Our moral consideration
>should not stop merely at our level of familiarity.
>
>The massive meat recall gives us a moment to reflect on our
>treatment of other animals. As a civilization we need to
>expand our moral compass to include other animals that have
>interests of their own, pursue their own emotional desires and
>are able to suffer just as greatly as ourselves.

here here.

Campaign For Fresh Air
2008-03-13 13:26:22 EST
On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:17:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza
<*s@thedismalscience.not> wrote:

>pearl wrote:
>> Daily Evergreen. 4 March 2008.
>>
>> Humans inherently owe animals. Massive meat recall reminds
>> us of the dangers of relegating other creatures to food status.
>>
>> Nickolas Conrad
>>
>> During the past month,
>> [snip shit hemorrhage]
>
>Write something original for a change.

You can talk polly!

Rudy Canoza
2008-03-13 13:37:52 EST
pete the lying shitbag troll lied:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:17:42 -0800, Rudy Canoza
> <pipes@thedismalscience.not> wrote:
>
>> pearl wrote:
>>> Daily Evergreen. 4 March 2008.
>>>
>>> Humans inherently owe animals. Massive meat recall reminds
>>> us of the dangers of relegating other creatures to food status.
>>>
>>> Nickolas Conrad
>>>
>>> During the past month,
>>> [snip shit hemorrhage]
>> Write something original for a change.
>
> You can

Fuck off, pete.

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
2008-03-13 21:46:12 EST
On Mar 5, 9:44 am, "pearl" <t...@signguestbook.ie> wrote:
> [...]
> species," Peter Singer wrote in his book "Animal Liberation."
>
> I know many people who love their pets, recognize their
> emotional states and intelligence, but still support the
> slaughter and consumption of nonhuman meat. Because they are
> aware of their complicated biological and emotional lives, dog
> and cat lovers would never consume their pets - even if they
> were factory-farmed and cheaply available.
>
> Yet, if animals are not cute, furry and domesticated, it is
> acceptable to farm, kill and eat them. Our moral consideration
> should not stop merely at our level of familiarity.
>
> The massive meat recall gives us a moment to reflect on our
> treatment of other animals. As a civilization we need to
> expand our moral compass to include other animals that have
> interests of their own, pursue their own emotional desires and
> are able to suffer just as greatly as ourselves.

Leslie is a much nicer name for an ARA than, uh,
Janice Joplin.

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
2008-03-13 21:47:32 EST
On Mar 5, 11:17 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.not> wrote:
> pearl wrote:
> > Daily Evergreen. 4 March 2008.
>
> > Humans inherently owe animals.  Massive meat recall reminds
> > us of the dangers of relegating other creatures to food status.
>
> > Nickolas Conrad
>
> > During the past month,
> > [snip shit hemorrhage]
>
> Write something original for a change.