Vegetarian Discussion: Animal Welfare, Not Animal "rights"

Animal Welfare, Not Animal "rights"

Rudy Canoza
2008-02-15 21:26:49 EST
Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss

A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools
nationwide to pull beef from their menus.

By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
2:32 PM PST, February 15, 2008

San Bernardino County prosecutors today filed felony
charges against a former Chino slaughterhouse manager
who allegedly used cruel methods to force at-risk
cattle into the slaughter box. A videotape taken at the
facility has led to schools nationwide pulling beef
from cafeterias.

In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges,
49-year-old Daniel Ugarte Navarro of Pomona faces up to
eight years and eight months in prison if convicted of
five felony counts of animal cruelty and three
misdemeanor counts of illegal movement of a
non-ambulatory animal. Navarro, who was a head pen
manager at Hallmark Meat Packing, was fired last month
after the release of the video by the Humane Society of
the United States.

These charges have been brought not because animals
have rights - they do not; they *cannot* - but because
right-thinking people care about animal welfare, and
don't want animals to be abused.

PinBoard
2008-02-16 07:36:03 EST
Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>
> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
> beef from their menus.
>
> By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
> 2:32 PM PST, February 15, 2008
>
> San Bernardino County prosecutors today filed felony charges against a
> former Chino slaughterhouse manager who allegedly used cruel methods to
> force at-risk cattle into the slaughter box. A videotape taken at the
> facility has led to schools nationwide pulling beef from cafeterias.
>
> In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges, 49-year-old Daniel
> Ugarte Navarro of Pomona faces up to eight years and eight months in
> prison if convicted of five felony counts of animal cruelty and three
> misdemeanor counts of illegal movement of a non-ambulatory animal.
> Navarro, who was a head pen manager at Hallmark Meat Packing, was fired
> last month after the release of the video by the Humane Society of the
> United States.

> These charges have been brought not because animals have rights - they
> do not; they *cannot* - but because right-thinking people care about
> animal welfare, and don't want animals to be abused.

Perhaps breeding animals and processing them for food is abuse.

http://video.hsus.org/index.jsp?fr_story=346bfda2cbbf061e88fa57cbef243b30d049b3b7

Rudy Canoza
2008-02-16 11:57:28 EST
PinBoard wrote:
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>>
>> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to
>> pull beef from their menus.
>>
>> By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
>> 2:32 PM PST, February 15, 2008
>>
>> San Bernardino County prosecutors today filed felony charges against a
>> former Chino slaughterhouse manager who allegedly used cruel methods
>> to force at-risk cattle into the slaughter box. A videotape taken at
>> the facility has led to schools nationwide pulling beef from cafeterias.
>>
>> In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges, 49-year-old Daniel
>> Ugarte Navarro of Pomona faces up to eight years and eight months in
>> prison if convicted of five felony counts of animal cruelty and three
>> misdemeanor counts of illegal movement of a non-ambulatory animal.
>> Navarro, who was a head pen manager at Hallmark Meat Packing, was
>> fired last month after the release of the video by the Humane Society
>> of the United States.

>> These charges have been brought not because animals have rights - they
>> do not; they *cannot* - but because right-thinking people care about
>> animal welfare, and don't want animals to be abused.
>
> Perhaps breeding animals and processing them for food is abuse.

No; not to any right-thinking person.

Jeßus?=
2008-02-17 01:43:17 EST
Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>
> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
> beef from their menus.

Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

R Flowers
2008-02-17 12:36:33 EST
"Je\ufffdus" <none@all.org> wrote in message
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>>
>> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
>> beef from their menus.
>
> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
can be sawdust?

-- R Flowers

Armillaria Caligata
2008-02-17 17:19:16 EST
On Feb 17, 9:36 am, "R Flowers" <rflow...@Tinbowlinggreen.com> wrote:
> "Jeßus" <n...@all.org> wrote in message

> > Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!
>
> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
> can be sawdust?

Like Mr Burns' cake. He pickled the figs himself.

Jeßus?=
2008-02-17 19:42:52 EST
R Flowers wrote:
> "Jeßus" <none@all.org> wrote in message
>> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>>> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>>>
>>> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
>>> beef from their menus.
>> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!
>>
> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
> can be sawdust?

Sure could! Or you could just bulk it up with a little Uter?

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

Armillaria Caligata
2008-02-17 20:35:11 EST
On Feb 17, 4:42 pm, Jeßus <n...@all.org> wrote:
> R Flowers wrote:
> > "Jeßus" <n...@all.org> wrote in message
>
> >> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!
>
> > I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
> > can be sawdust?
>
> Sure could! Or you could just bulk it up with a little Uter?
Isn't there a little Uter in all of us?

Jeßus?=
2008-02-18 01:23:49 EST
Armillaria caligata wrote:
> On Feb 17, 4:42 pm, Jeßus <n...@all.org> wrote:
>> R Flowers wrote:
>>> "Jeßus" <n...@all.org> wrote in message
>>> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
>>> can be sawdust?
>> Sure could! Or you could just bulk it up with a little Uter?
> Isn't there a little Uter in all of us?

OMG, I know I was drunk last night, but...

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

Jeßus?=
2008-02-18 01:24:41 EST
Armillaria caligata wrote:
> On Feb 17, 9:36 am, "R Flowers" <rflow...@Tinbowlinggreen.com> wrote:
>> "Jeßus" <n...@all.org> wrote in message

>>> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!
>> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
>> can be sawdust?
>>
> Like Mr Burns' cake. He pickled the figs himself.

LOL... that was a great moment :)

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."