Vegetarian Discussion: SYMPTOMS - METABOLIC SYNDROME IS TIED TO DIET SODA

SYMPTOMS - METABOLIC SYNDROME IS TIED TO DIET SODA

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2008-02-06 04:32:15 EST
Vital Signs

Symptoms: Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda

By Nicholas Bakalar
THE NEW YORK TIMES
Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet
soda and metabolic syndrome -- the collection of risk
factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes that
include abdominal obesity, high cholesterol and blood
glucose levels -- and elevated blood pressure.

The scientists gathered dietary information on more than
9,500 men and women ages 45 to 64 and tracked their health
for nine years.

Over all, a Western dietary pattern -- high intakes of
refined grains, fried foods and red meat -- was associated
with an 18 percent increased risk for metabolic syndrome,
while a "prudent" diet dominated by fruits, vegetables ...
[Visit: http://www.pcrm.org ] correlated with neither
an increased nor a decreased risk.

But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased
their risk by 25 percent compared with the one-third who
ate the least, and surprisingly, the risk of developing
metabolic syndrome was 34 percent higher among those who
drank one can of diet soda a day compared with those who
drank none.

"This is interesting," said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate
professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota
and a co-author of the paper, which was posted online in
the journal Circulation on Jan. 22. "Why is it happening?
Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda, or something
about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?"

More at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/nutrition/05symp.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/24fq83
http://www.mantra.com/jai
http://www.mantra.com/jyotish
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

DISCLAIMER AND CONDITIONS

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Pearl
2008-02-06 08:04:52 EST
<*t@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in message news:20080205Gi4oYDumEaPQvc31sXNh2EZ@Hz0N7...
> Vital Signs
>
> Symptoms: Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda
>
> By Nicholas Bakalar
> THE NEW YORK TIMES
> Tuesday, February 5, 2008
>
> Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet
> soda and metabolic syndrome -- the collection of risk
> factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes that
> include abdominal obesity, high cholesterol and blood
> glucose levels -- and elevated blood pressure.
>
> The scientists gathered dietary information on more than
> 9,500 men and women ages 45 to 64 and tracked their health
> for nine years.
>
> Over all, a Western dietary pattern -- high intakes of
> refined grains, fried foods and red meat -- was associated
> with an 18 percent increased risk for metabolic syndrome,
> while a "prudent" diet dominated by fruits, vegetables ...
> [Visit: http://www.pcrm.org ] correlated with neither
> an increased nor a decreased risk.
>
> But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased
> their risk by 25 percent compared with the one-third who
> ate the least, and surprisingly, the risk of developing
> metabolic syndrome was 34 percent higher among those who
> drank one can of diet soda a day compared with those who
> drank none.
>
> "This is interesting," said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate
> professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota
> and a co-author of the paper, which was posted online in
> the journal Circulation on Jan. 22. "Why is it happening?
> Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda, or something
> about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?"
>
> More at:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/nutrition/05symp.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Report: Aspartame is Neurotoxic and Worsens Fibromyalgia,
Chronic ... Methanol, or wood alcohol, constitutes one-third
of the aspartame molecule and is classified as a severe
metabolic poison and narcotic. ... (2004 report from India)
http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/5645 - 30k

Aspartame - Rumsfeld's Bioweapon Legacy \ufffd Politics
Since aspartame can increase obesity and may even cause
the metabolic syndrome ... Athletes like Fleming are dying
because aspartame damages the cardiac ...
http://www.rense.com/general67/rum.htm - 40k

NWV -- Donald Rumsfeld and Aspartame \ufffd Politics
It is a deadly neurotoxic drug masquerading as an additive.
It interacts with all antidepressants, L-dopa, Coumadin,
hormones, insulin, all cardiac ...
http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexclusive/exclusive15.htm - 17k

SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH AND ASPARTAME \ufffd
Health/Fitness
Aspartame triggers an irregular heart rhythm, and interacts
with cardiac ..... is on aspartame, and 40% of the children
- taking a neurotoxic drug that ...
http://www.wnho.net/scdandaspartame.htm - 46k

FDA - THE EPHEDRA STORY AND ASPARTAME
WITH A PERSONAL NOTE TO THE FDA
Aspartame interacts with all cardiac medication, all
anti-depressants, L-dopa, ... sweetener aspartame can
have multiple neurotoxic, metabolic, allergenic, ...
http://www.thenhf.com/fda_82.htm - 80k

Ministry of Lies
Research demonstrating DNA damage from aspartame's
metabolic components are beyond .... Bills to ban
Neurotoxic Carcinogenic Artificial Sweetener Aspartame ...
http://www.ministryoflies.com/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=48 - 58k

aspartame_2
It is the metabolic clock that generates and effectively
coordinates heartbeats, .... Aspartame and cardiac and
chest problems by H. J. Roberts, M.D. ...
http://homodiet.netfirms.com/otherssay/letters/aspartame_2.htm - 36k

Feds Attack On Ephedra - Cover For Aspartame Poisoning?
Aspartame and cardiac and chest problems by H. J. Roberts,
M.D. ... Aspartame, the neurotoxic artificial sweetener that...
[read more] ...
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2005/03/03/feds_attack_on_ephedra_cover_for_aspartame_poisoning.htm - 71k

Dropping like flies: poisoned by ASPARTAME
Aspartame triggers an irregular heart rhythm, and interacts
with cardiac ..... deadly neurotoxic drug for years, and the
fact that it can take your life. ...
http://www.laleva.cc/food/aspartame_scd.html - 49k

Sugar free, Artifical Sweeteners Sickness \ufffd Nutrition
"The need for considering exposure to aspartame and other
neurotoxins before ... the cleaning products we use, and the
metabolic waste produced inside us. ...
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/nutraswt.htm - 143k

Results 1 - 10 of about 15,600 for aspartame metabolic
neurotoxic cardiac ---- http://tinyurl.com/2wxfbf

H*@indero.com
2008-02-06 08:35:12 EST
With india having the world's highest rate of metabolic syndrome, can
diet soda be the answer?

There is no doubt it is tied to diet and eating habits, so what is it in
india?

Pearl
2008-02-06 08:57:45 EST

Hawaii Moves to Ban Aspartame
(NutraSweet/Equal/E951/Canderel, etc.)
Tuesday January 22, 2008
http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=56179

Pearl
2008-02-06 09:03:51 EST
<*r@indero.com> wrote in message news:47a9b790$0$30894$1c4686b2@news.club.cc.cmu.edu...

> With india having the world's highest rate of metabolic syndrome, can
> diet soda be the answer?
>
> There is no doubt it is tied to diet and eating habits, so what is it in
> india?

'.. a genetic susceptibility, mediated through elevated levels
of lipoprotein(a) {Lp(a)}, which magnifies the adverse effects
of lifestyle factors associated with urbanization, affluence, and
changes in diet. .....'
http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijc/vol1n2/cadi.xml

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2008-02-06 14:25:59 EST
In article <foce82$a2a$1@reader01.news.esat.net>,
"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> posted:

> Hawaii Moves to Ban Aspartame
> (NutraSweet/Equal/E951/Canderel, etc.)
>
> Tuesday January 22, 2008
>
> http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=56179

Thank you for posting the above. I look forward to
seeing those products disappearing from store shelves
and restaurants here.

Namaste, and Aloha from Hawaii,

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/24fq83
http://www.mantra.com/jai
http://www.mantra.com/jyotish
Om Shanti

Pearl
2008-02-07 08:12:03 EST
<*t@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in message news:20080206Fh1vQQojIegjX1A03GZ2sBI@Vf7Kz...
> In article <foce82$a2a$1@reader01.news.esat.net>,
> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> posted:
> >
> > Hawaii Moves to Ban Aspartame
> > (NutraSweet/Equal/E951/Canderel, etc.)
> >
> > Tuesday January 22, 2008
> >
> > http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=56179
>
> Thank you for posting the above. I look forward to
> seeing those products disappearing from store shelves
> and restaurants here.
>
> Namaste, and Aloha from Hawaii,
>
> Jai Maharaj
> http://tinyurl.com/24fq83
> http://www.mantra.com/jai
> http://www.mantra.com/jyotish
> Om Shanti

Namaste, Jai Maharaj. It was posted with you in mind. :)
May it speedily come to pass, and worldwide too. Thank
you for forwarding that study. It's really no surprise at all.

Pearl
2008-02-07 08:17:47 EST
http://www.wnho.net/wtdaspartame.htm

WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE USED ASPARTAME
By Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D.
(c) 2003
Web Site: http://www.russellblaylockmd.com

The most important starting point of any detoxification program
is to stop exposure to the toxin or toxins. This means avoiding
even small amounts, since once sensitized to the toxin even
minute amounts can produce full-blown toxicity. This is
especially so with accumulative toxins, such as aspartame. It has
been shown conclusively that the metabolic products of methanol
breakdown, formaldehyde in particular, accumulates on the DNA
and cellular proteins. Once you have cleansed your diet of the
toxin, removal of the toxin and its metabolic products from your
system will begin. Central to this process is the body's
detoxification system, which exist in all cells of the body, with the
bulk of detoxification taking place in the liver. The detoxification
system is divided into two components called phase I and phase
II, which work in tandem. Toxins pass through phase I and then
pass to phase II where they are further detoxified and made
water-soluble for eventual disposal. It is now known that you can
significantly enhance the body's ability to detoxify these
substances through the judicious use of specific supplements.
Of the two systems phase II is most important and most often
impaired.

The following is a list of nutrients that enhance detoxification:

Indole-3 carbinol-100 mg twice a day. This natural substance
enhances phase II. It is extracted from cruciferous vegetables
such as broccoli, Brussel's sprouts and cauliflower. It can be
purchased as an extract.

Taurine 500 mg a day- This is a sulfur-containing amino acid
that is used by the liver for sulfonation reactions. It is to be
taken between meals.

Milk Thistle (silymarin) 175 mg. Take two twice a day. This
extract has been shown to substantially enhance liver
detoxification and is also a very powerful antioxidant for all
cells.

Curcumin- 500 mg three times a day with olive oil. This is an
extract taken from turmeric. It is an extremely powerful
antioxidant, enhances both phases I and II detoxification, is a
radioprotectant, enhances bile flow, inhibits cancer growth,
and is a very powerful anti-inflammatory. Also enhances DNA
repair enzymes.

Panthethine 250 mg Take one capsule 3X a day- This vitamin
is the enzyme form of pantothenic acid. It plays a vital role in
enhancing the aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme. (For
formaldehyde detoxification)

Thiamine- 100 mg. Take three a day. (Vitamin B1) This vitamin
plays a major role in protecting nerves as well as the brain. It is
commonly depleted with pesticide exposure.

Pyrodoxyl-5 phosphate 50 mg- Take one a day. This is the
functional form of vitamin B6. People exposed to chemical
toxins frequently have low levels of this vitamin. When vitamin B6
is deficient, taurine is also low. It plays a major role in protecting
against glutamate and aspartate toxicity.

In addition to detoxification, other nutrients play a more direct
role in protecting cells and in promoting their recovery from
toxicity. These include:

Magnesium- 750 to 1000 mg a day. (Magnesium citrate/malate)
Magnesium plays a major role in cell protection, especially
against excitotoxicty. In addition it protects against strokes and
heart attacks.

Selenium- 200 ug a day. This mineral also plays a role in
protecting cells from toxins, especially mercury. It plays a major
role in protecting against free radicals.

N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC)- 750 mg a day. This is a substance
that in cells is converted to glutathione. Glutathione is your cell's
major protection against free radicals produced by toxins such
as aspartame.. In addition, NAC removes mercury. NAC also
enhances detoxification.

Multi-"B" vitamins- This should be a multivitamins that contains
25 to 50 mgs of each of the B vitamins. The multivitamin should
not contain iron. Take one a day.

Vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols) 400 IU twice a day. A
powerful antioxidant, prevents heart attacks an stokes and the
gamma-tocopherol is a powerful anti-inflammatory.

Vitamin C (as magnesium ascorbate) 2000 mg twice to three
times a day. Plays a major role in cell protection against oxygen
stress, protects the nervous system and enhances tissue repair.

CoQ10 100 mg twice a day. This is a major energy molecule
and protects the brain against excitotoxicity.

DHA 200 mg a day. This is a component of omega-3-fatty acids.
It plays a vital role in membrane repair and repair of synapses.

In addition to avoiding aspartame you must avoid other toxins
as well. This includes MSG, pesticides, herbicides, bug sprays,
fluoride, mercury, cadmium, aluminum and the many other toxins
found commonly in the environment. Many of these toxins act
synergistically, that is, when combined they have toxic effects
that exceed their additive effects.

In addition, you need regular, moderate exercise (never aerobic),
avoid soy products, cheese, and vegetable oils. Do not smoke
or use drugs. All of these things increase free radical damage and
prevent tissue repair. You should eat a diet high in vegetables and
with some fruits, no sugar (or honey), moderate complex
carbohydrates and pure water free of contaminants, including
fluoride. Do not use fluoride toothpaste, mouthwashes or receive
fluoride treatments. If you follow these principles you will notice
quick recovery from your toxic encounter. More serious toxic
encounters may take several months for recovery.

Please refer to my web site at http://www.russellblaylockmd.com
for more information on my books. Russell Blaylock, M.D.
(Health & Nutrition Secrets To Save Your Life, Excitotoxins:
The Taste That Kills, etc.)

Aspartame sites:

http://www.dorway.com

http://www.wnho.net

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame

Rich Murray
2008-02-07 18:40:39 EST

metabolic syndrome is tied to diet soda,
PL Lutsey, LM Steffen, J Stevens, Circulation 2008.01.22:
role of formaldehyde and formic acid from methanol
in wines, liquors, or aspartame?: Murray 2008.02.07
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
Thursday, February 7, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1513

"But the one-third who ate the most fried food
increased their risk by 25 percent,
compared with the one-third who ate the least,
and surprisingly, the risk of developing metabolic syndrome
was 34 percent higher among
those who drank one can of diet soda a day
compared with those who drank none.

"This is interesting," said Lyn M. Steffen,
an associate professor of epidemiology
at the University of Minnesota and a co-author
of the paper, which was posted online in the journal
Circulation on Jan. 22. "Why is it happening?
Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda,
or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?""

"The diet soda association was not hypothesized
and deserves further study."

[ See also:

vinyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, or aspartame in womb increases
later cancers in adults with lifetime exposure in many studies,
M Soffritti et al, Ramazzini Foundation,
Basic Clin. Pharm. Toxicol. 2008 Feb.:
Rich Murray 2008.02.07
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
Thursday, February 7, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1511

need to find safe levels for aspartame
(methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid) via rapid, safe,
low-cost, highly accurate and sensitive modern breath
gas analysis: Claire Turner et al,
Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics:
Rich Murray 2008.02.07
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.htm
Thursday, February 7, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1512

folic acid prevents neurotoxicity from formic acid, made by
body from methanol impurity in alcohol drinks
[ also 11 % of aspartame ], BM Kapur, PL Carlen,
DC Lehotay, AC Vandenbroucke, Y Adamchik,
U. of Toronto, 2007 Dec., Alcoholism Cl. Exp. Res.:
Murray 2007.11.27
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.htm
Wednesday, November 27, 2007
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1495 ]

www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/health/nutrition/05symp.html?ref=health

Fitness & Science
Vital Signs

Symptoms: Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda
By Nicholas Bakalar
Published February 5, 2008

Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet soda
and metabolic syndrome -- ­ the collection of risk factors for
cardiovascular disease and diabetes that include abdominal obesity,
high cholesterol and blood glucose levels,
and elevated blood pressure.

The scientists gathered dietary information
on more than 9,500 men
and women ages 45 to 64
and tracked their health for nine years.

Over all, a Western dietary pattern ­--
high intakes of refined grains,
fried foods and red meat -- was associated with an
18 percent increased risk for metabolic syndrome,
while a "prudent" diet dominated by
fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry correlated with
neither an increased nor a decreased risk.

But the one-third who ate the most fried food
increased their risk by 25 percent,
compared with the one-third who ate the least,
and surprisingly, the risk of developing metabolic syndrome
was 34 percent higher among
those who drank one can of diet soda a day
compared with those who drank none.

"This is interesting," said Lyn M. Steffen,
an associate professor of epidemiology
at the University of Minnesota and a co-author
of the paper, which was posted online in the journal
Circulation on Jan. 22. "Why is it happening?
Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda,
or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?"

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Published Online on January 22, 2008

Circulation. 2008
Published online before print January 22, 2008, doi:
10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.716159
Submitted on May 18, 2007
Accepted on December 7, 2007

Dietary Intake and the Development of the Metabolic Syndrome.
The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study
Pamela L. Lutsey MPH, lutsey@epi.umn.edu;
Lyn M. Steffen PhD, MPH, RD*, steffen@epi.umn.edu;
and June Stevens PhD, MS, RD june_stevens@unc.edu;

From the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health,
University of Minnesota, School of Public Health,
Minneapolis (P.L.L., L.M.S.),
and Department of Nutrition,
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (J.S.).

Division of Epidemiology and Community Health,
University of Minnesota,
1300 South Second Street, Suite 300,
Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA.
l*y@epi.umn.edu;

* To whom correspondence should be addressed.
E-mail: steffen@epi.umn.edu;

Background
The role of diet in the origin of metabolic syndrome
(MetSyn) is not well understood;

thus, we sought to evaluate the relationship
between incident MetSyn and dietary intake
using prospective data from 9514 participants
(age, 45 to 64 years) enrolled in
the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study.

Methods and Results
Dietary intake was assessed at baseline
via a 66-item food frequency questionnaire.

We used principal-components analysis to derive
"Western" and "prudent"
dietary patterns from 32 food groups
and evaluated 10 food groups used in previous studies
of the ARIC cohort.

MetSyn was defined by American Heart Association guidelines.

Proportional-hazards regression was used.

Over 9 years of follow-up,
3782 incident cases of MetSyn were identified.

After adjustment for
demographic factors, smoking, physical activity, and
energy intake,
consumption of a Western dietary pattern (Ptrend = 0.03)
was adversely associated with incident MetSyn.

After further adjustment for intake of
meat, dairy, fruits and vegetables,
refined grains, and whole grains,
analysis of individual food groups revealed that
meat (Ptrend under 0.001),
fried foods (Ptrend = 0.02),
and diet soda (Ptrend under 0.001)
also were adversely associated with incident MetSyn,
whereas dairy consumption (Ptrend = 0.006) was beneficial.

No associations were observed between incident MetSyn
and a prudent dietary pattern
or intakes of whole grains, refined grains,
fruits and vegetables, nuts,
coffee, or sweetened beverages.

Conclusions
These prospective findings suggest that consumption
of a Western dietary pattern, meat, and fried foods
promotes the incidence of MetSyn, whereas
dairy consumption provides some protection.

The diet soda association was not hypothesized
and deserves further study. PMID: 18212291

Key words:
dairy products, diet, food habits, meat, metabolic syndrome X

www.sph.unc.edu/?option=com_profiles&profileAction=ProfDetail&profileId=1277

June Stevens, PhD
Website: http://myprofile.cos.com/stevensh31
Email: june_stevens@unc.edu;
Phone: 919-966-7218 Fax: 919-962-3265
Address:
School of Public Health
137 E Franklin St., Ste 400, CB#7461
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Summary of Research Interests
AICR/WCRF Distinguished Professor and Chair,
Department of Nutrition;
Professor, Department of Epidemiology.
(PhD in Human Nutrition, Cornell,
1986, MS, Penn State, 1980)
Dr. Stevens is a nutrition epidemiologist
with a large research program
focusing on the causes, consequences,
and prevention of obesity and
different populations.
She has special interests in minority health,
anthropometry, and physical activity.
Through her work at the
Collaborative Studies Coordinating Center,
she has access to obesity-related information
from several large, multi-center studies.
She is the Principal Investigator of the
Coordinating Center for two national trials
that examine obesity and physical activity
in children and adolescents.
Dr. Stevens is a member of
the American Society for Nutritional Sciences,
the American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology,
the North American Society for the Study of Obesity,
the International Association for the Study of Obesity (IASO)
and the Society for Epidemiologic Research.
Dr. Stevens is currently Vice President for Scientific Affairs
of the IASO.
She serves as a reviewer for
the New England Journal of Medicine,
the Journal of the American Medical Association,
and the American Journal of Epidemiology,
Obesity Research,
and the International Journal of Obesity
as well as several other journals.

Educational Background
1986 Cornell University PhD
Human Nutrition, Minor Statistics
1978 Pennsylvania State University MS
Human Nutrition
1975 Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital RD
Clinical Dietetics

Barry M. Popkin , Professor of Nutrition,
Carolina Population Center,
University of North Carolina,
123 West Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, NC
27516-3997. E-mail: popkin@unc.edu;

Kiyah J Duffey E-mail: kduffey@unc.edu;
Address: 123 W. Franklin St. , CPC, University Square
CB: 8120
Telephone: (919) 966-1735
Class: Graduate Doctorate
College: School Of Public Health
Degree: Doctor Of Philosophy
Department: Nutrition (4660)
Title: Research Assistant
Department: Nutrition (4660)
Home Address: 105 Fidelity St, B10, Carrboro,
NC 275102617

formaldehyde in FEMA trailers and other sources (aspartame,
dark wines and liquors, tobacco smoke): Murray 2008.01.30
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1508

The FEMA trailers give about the same amount of
formaldehyde daily
as from a quart of dark wine or liquor,
or two quarts (6 12-oz cans) of aspartame diet soda,
from their over 1 tenth gram methanol impurity
(one part in 10,000),
which the body quickly makes into formaldehyde --
enough to be the major cause of
"morning after" alcohol hangovers.

Methanol and formaldehyde also result from many fruits
and vegetables, tobacco and wood smoke, heater and vehicle
exhaust, household chemicals and cleaners, cosmetics,
and new cars, drapes, carpets, furniture, particleboard,
mobile homes, buildings, leather...
so all these sources add up and interact
with many other toxic chemicals.

BN Ames and LS Gold, 1998, have presented detailed
information that there is no increase in recent decades for most
cancers, and that common carcinogens do not result
in significant exposures to the average human population.

However, individuals are not average -- each person has a
unique genetic makeup, resulting in a huge range
of variation of vulnerability to specific chemicals,
as is well evidenced in the case
of methanol, formaldehyde, and formic acid,
especially with regard to behavioral effects.

Each is subject to very wide ranges of exposure levels.

Many are in especially vulnerable groups, depending on diet,
obesity, sex, exercise, life stress, age from conception to very old,
severe toxic exposures, injuries, and diseases.

It is clear that a variety of multiple chemical sensitivity syndromes
do exist, often with remarkable hypersensitivity.

Methanol, formaldehyde, and formic acid toxicity are unusual,
in that humans are far more vulnerable than any other mammal,
as much as ten to sixty-fold, which complicates the utility of animal
data.

The unusally long human life span also increases the role of
long-term chronic low-level exposure.

FEMA slow to safety test Katrina toxic trailers,
Charles Babington, Associated Press -- 1 ppm formaldehyde
in air is about half the daily dose from 3 cans aspartame
diet soda and ten times the 1999 EPA alarm level
for drinking water: Murray 2007.07.23
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1455

"Paulison said FEMA received "just over 200 complaints
of strange odors including formaldehyde" in trailers
and that 58 trailers were replaced
"because of formaldehyde concerns."

Occupants of five other trailers were moved to apartments,
he said.

Several lawmakers said FEMA should have seen the
200 complaints
as a sign of a much wider problem."

1 ppm formaldehyde in air is half the daily dose
from 3 cans aspartame diet soda
and ten times the 1999 EPA alarm level for drinking water.

J. D. Trasher et al in 1990 found many symptoms
in 19 mobile home residents,
living with 0.05 to 0.5 ppm formaldehyde.

http://www.drthrasher.org/formaldehyde_1990.html full text
Jack Dwayne Thrasher, Alan Broughton, Roberta Madison.
Immune activation and autoantibodies in humans
with long-term inhalation exposure to formaldehyde.
Archives of Environmental Health. 1990; 45: 217-223.
"Immune activation, autoantibodies, and anti-HCHO-HAS
antibodies are associated
with long-term formaldehyde inhalation."
PMID: 2400243

" The patients in our study had symptoms and complaints
related to several organs, as described previously, (4,5,9)
which were similar to symptoms
of workers with multiple chemical sensitivity,(11) cacosmia,(12)
and other chemical exposures. (13-15)

We report on the differences in
humoral and cell-mediated immunity in humans with long-term
inhalation exposure to HCHO vs. asymptomatic students
(controls) who experienced short-term, periodic exposure
to the chemical. "

" All patients in this study
had sought continuous medical attention
because of multiple organ symptoms
involving the central nervous system (CNS)
(headaches, memory loss, difficulty completing tasks, dizziness),
upper- and lower-respiratory symptoms,
skeletal-muscle complaints,
and gastroenteritis.

Three common symptoms were expressed:
(1) and initial flu-like illness
from which they had not fully recovered;
(2) chronic fatigue,
and (3) an olfactory sensitivity to ambient conditions
containing low concentrations of chemicals. (4,9,11) "

" (2.) Mobile home residents consisted
of 19 patients (6 males, 13 females, mean age 41 +-20 y)
who currently lived in mobile homes.

The patients had lived in their environments for 2-7 y
and reported multiple symptoms. (4,9)

Measured HCHO concentrations
ranged from 0.05 to 0.5 ppm
at the time blood samples were taken. "

FEMA found 1.2 ppm formaldehyde in April 2005
in one of over 120,000 mobile homes
supplied for recent hurricane victims --
75 times more than the
0.016 ppm level set for 8-hour working days
by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
for workers to be required to wear respirators.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/tac/appendxc.htm

1 ppm FA in air = 1.23 mg/cubic meter,
so breathing 20 cubic meters would retain
about 20 mg FA daily,
ten times the 1999 EPA alarm level for drinking water.

Dark wines and liquors, as well as aspartame,
provide similar levels of methanol, above 120 mg daily,
for long-term heavy users, 2 L daily, about 6 cans.

Within hours, methanol is inevitably largely turned into
formaldehyde,
and thence largely into formic acid --
the major causes of the dreaded symptoms
of "next morning" hangover.

Fully 11% of aspartame is methanol --
1,120 mg aspartame in 2 L diet soda,
almost six 12-oz cans,
gives 123 mg methanol (wood alcohol).

If 30% of the methanol is turned into formaldehyde,
the amount of formaldehyde, 37 mg,
is 18.5 times the USA EP alarm limit
for daily formaldehyde in drinking water,
2.0 mg in 2 L average daily drinking water.

Medicine has to consider that the many sources of methanol
and formaldehyde are additive co-factors.

methanol products (formaldehyde and formic acid)
are main cause of alcohol hangover symptoms
[same as from similar amounts of methanol, the 11% part of
aspartame]: YS Woo et al, 2005 Dec: Murray 2006.01.20

methanol (formaldehyde, formic acid) disposition:
Bouchard M et al, full plain text, 2001:
substantial sources are degradation of fruit pectins,
liquors, aspartame, smoke: Murray 2005.04.02

"... aspartame. It's perfectly safe," eminent diabetes MD S. Kalani
Brady -- er, Doctor, RX for ignorance, 3 days earnest study of
recent 2 years of mainstream research by groups independent of
vested interests: Murray 2008.01.27
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
Sunday, January 27, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1507

details on 6 epidemiological studies since 2004 on diet soda (mainly
aspartame) correlations, as well as 14 other mainstream studies on
aspartame toxicity since summer 2005: Murray 2007.11.27
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.htm
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1490

Hawaiian aspartame ban bills in House and Senate challenge
corporate clout, Sen. J. Kalani English & Suzanne Chun Oakland,
Rep. Calvin K.Y. Say & Mele Carroll: Murray 2008.01.25
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
Friday, January 25, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1505

www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/house/members/rep13.asp

Mele Carroll
13th Representative District
Hawaii State Capitol, Room 405
415 South Beretania Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone 808-586-6790; fax 808-586-6779
From Maui, toll free 984-2400 + 66790
From Molokai and Lanai,
toll free 1-800-468-4644 + 66790
E-mail repcarroll@Capitol.hawaii.gov;

ASDA (unit of Wal-Mart Stores WMT.N)
and Marks & Spencer
will join Tesco and also Sainsbury to ban and limit
aspartame, MSG, artificial flavors dyes preservatives additives,
trans fats, salt "nasties" to protect kids from ADHD:
leading UK media: Murray 2007.05.15

Artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose) and coloring
agents will be banned from use in newly-born and baby foods,
the European Parliament decided: Latvia ban in schools 2006:
Murray 2007.07.12

"Of course, everyone chooses, as a natural priority,
to enjoy peace, joy, and love
by helping to find, quickly share, and positively act
upon evidence about healthy and safe
food, drink, and environment."

Rich Murray, MA Room For All rmforall@comcast.net
505-501-2298 1943 Otowi Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505

highly toxic formaldehyde, the cause of alcohol hangovers,
is made by the body from 100 mg doses of methanol
from dark wines and liquors, dimethyl dicarbonate,
and aspartame: Murray 2007.08.31

http://RMForAll.blogspot.com new primary archive

group with 120 members, 1,513 posts in a public archive

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/28/AR2008012802429.html

washingtonpost.com > Politics

2008 Politics » Candidates | Issues |
Lawmakers Fault FEMA on Trailers

washingtonpost.com readers have posted 27comments
about this item.
View All Comments »

From News Services and Staff Reports
Tuesday, January 29, 2008; Page A03

Lawmakers Fault FEMA on Trailers

Democratic leaders of a House science subcommittee alleged
yesterday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency
manipulated scientific research into the potential danger posed
by a toxic gas emitted in trailers still housing tens of thousands
of survivors of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

FEMA "ignored, hid and manipulated government research
on the potential impact of long-term exposure to formaldehyde"
on Katrina and Rita victims now living in the FEMA trailers,
the congressmen wrote in a letter to
Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff,
whose department includes FEMA.

Reps. Brad Miller (N.C.) and Nick Lampson (Tex.) cited agency
documents given to Congress in alleging that the federal
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention --
generally considered a repository
of nonpartisan scientific expertise --
was "complicit in giving FEMA precisely what they wanted"
to suppress the adverse health effects.

The lawmakers said the CDC's
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
ignored one of its experts, Christopher T. De Rosa,
after he informed FEMA there was no "safe level" of long-term
exposure.

They said FEMA bypassed that opinion and "shopped"
the agency for its desired recommendation
to study only short-term exposure.

"Any level of exposure to formaldehyde may pose a cancer risk,
regardless of duration," De Rosa wrote in a Feb. 27, 2007
letter to a FEMA lawyer, recently obtained by a
House Science and Technology investigative subcommittee
that Miller chairs. "Failure to communicate this issue
is possibly misleading and a threat to public health."

De Rosa wrote the letter after learning that the CDC bypassed
his office to produce a Feb. 1, 2007, report for FEMA that did
not consider long-term exposure risks, contradicting his
recommendation to the agency in June 2006.

"Honest scientific studies don't start with the conclusion,
and then work backwards from there," Miller said.

FEMA said the health agency's report last February did not
address long-term health effects
but rather concerned ways to avoid toxic
exposure to formaldehyde.

"FEMA did not suppress or inappropriately influence
any report," agency spokesman James McIntyre said.

More than 40,000 trailers are still being used by families
displaced by Katrina in August 2005 and Rita weeks later.

FEMA announced last July that it would test occupied trailers,
after congressional investigators disclosed that the agency
had suppressed warnings for more than a year
from its field workers
about health problems experienced by Katrina survivors.

Tests on 500 trailers, finally begun last month,
are being performed by CDC, the lawmakers noted.
"The Committee is concerned about
the independence and scientific integrity
of any indoor air testing for formaldehyde levels
in these trailers done under the auspices of FEMA,"
Miller and Samson wrote.

"For those who are too poor to live elsewhere,
FEMA's position remains as it was in 2006:
there are no possible adverse health effects
that can't be cured by opening the windows," they added.

1/29/2008 12:28:27 PM rhfalk wrote:

It is not as though formaldehyde was not known to be present in
mobile homes.

In a scientific paper published in 1998
(Biotherapy 11: 205-220, The Causes and Prevention of Cancer:
The Role of the Environment), Bruce Ames and Lois Gold,
eminent researchers at the University of California, Berkeley,
clearly indicated that this was the case.

There is nothing mysterious about formaldehyde or a great deal of
other compounds that have potential carcinogenic effects as listed
in this excellent research paper.

Lots of rather common things have the potential to cause cancer.

Ames and Gold's paper can be found at
http://potency.berkeley.edu/pdfs/Biotherapy1998.pdf

Section of Cardiology, Boston University School of Medicine,
Boston, MA 02118, USA. rfalk@bu.edu;

Last name Derosa
First name Christopher
Middle name T.
Agency ATSDR
Organization DHHS/ATSDR/OA/OD
Job title ACT. SPECIAL ASST FOR TOXICOLOGY
Building CCTR
Duty station Atlanta GA 30329
Mail stop E28
Phone 404.498.0284 Fax 404.498.0083
Internet e-mail christopher.derosa@cdc.hhs.gov;

http://potency.berkeley.edu/pdfs/Biotherapy1998.pdf

Biotherapy 11: 205-220, 1998.
© 1998 Kluwer Academic Publishers. Printed in the Netherlands.
The Causes and Prevention of Cancer: The Role of Environment
Bruce N. Ames 1
and Lois Swirsky Gold 2
1 Department of Molecular and Cell Biology,
University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3202;
2 Life Sciences Division,
E.O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory,
Berkeley, California 94720

Nutrition and Metabolism Center,
Children's Hospital of Oakland
Research Institute, Oakland, CA 94609, USA.
b*s@chori.org;

University of Washington School of Public Health
and Community Medicine, Department of Epidemiology,
Seattle, Washington, USA. goldl@u.washington.edu;

Seizures and hyponatremia after excessive intake of diet coke,
LJ Mortelmans, M Van Loo, HG De Cauwer,
K Merlevede, Klina General Hospital,
Brasschaat, Belgium, EJEM 2008 Feb:
Mark D. Gold critique: Murray 2008.01.10
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
Thursday, January 10, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1502

See also:
possible neurologic effects of aspartame, TJ Maher,
RJ Wurtman, Environ. Health Persp. 1987 Nov, full text:
other seizure reports re
aspartame, methanol, formaldehyde, formic acid:
Murray 2008.01.10
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
Thursday, January 10, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1501

Eur J Emerg Med. 2008 Feb; 15(1): 51.
Seizures and hyponatremia after excessive intake of diet coke.
Mortelmans LJ, Luc.mortelmans@klina.be;
Van Loo M,
De Cauwer HG, haralddecauwer@hotmail.com;
Merlevede K. Karen.Merlevede@klina.be;
Departments of
a Emergency Medicine
b Neurology,
Klina General Hospital, Brasschaat, Belgium.

We describe a case of epileptic seizures after a massive intake of
diet coke.

Apart from the hyponatremia due to water intoxication the
convulsions can be potentiated by the high dose of caffeine and
aspartame from the diet coke.

To our knowledge this is the first report of seizures due to
excessive diet coke intake. PMID: 18180668

Methyl alcohol ingestion as a model etiologic agent in
multiple sclerosis, WC Monte, D Glanzman, C Johnston;
Methanol induced neuropathology in the mammalian
central nervous system, Woodrow C. Monte, Renee Ann Zeising,
both reports 1989.12.04: Murray 2007.12.28
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.htm
Friday, December 28 2007
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1499

[ These seminal 1989 studies by Prof. Woodrow C. Monte
are also given in this previous post,
along his two recent comprehensive reviews:

role of formaldehyde, made by body from methanol from foods
and aspartame, in steep increases in fetal alcohol syndrome,
autism, multiple sclerosis, lupus, teen suicide, breast cancer,
Nutrition Prof. Woodrow C. Monte, retired,
Arizona State U., two reviews, 190 references supplied,
Fitness Life, New Zealand 2007 Nov, Dec:
Murray 2007.12.26
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.htm
Wednesday, December 26 2007
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1498 ]

Wednesday, November 27, 2007
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1495

aspartame groups and books: updated research review of
2004.07.16: Murray 2006.05.11

Souring on fake sugar (aspartame), Jennifer Couzin,
Science 2007.07.06: 4 page letter to FDA from 12 eminent
USA toxicologists re two Ramazzini Foundation
cancer studies 2007.06.25: Murray 2007.07.18

Connecticut bans artificial sweeteners in schools, Nancy Barnes,
New Milford Times: Murray 2006.05.25

Bristol, Connecticut, schools join state program to limit artificial
sweeteners, sugar, fats for 8800 students, Johnny J Burnham,
The Bristol Press: Murray 2006.09.22

Devra Lee Davis, U. Pittsburgh Cancer Institute,
rejects aspartame -- Luke Ravenstahl, Mayor,
drinks 12 cans Diet Pepsi daily:
accurate warning by Ronald K. Frazer:
Murray 2008.01.13
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.htm
Sunday, January 13, 2008
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aspartameNM/message/1503

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2008-02-07 21:25:02 EST
In article <foevue$g1v$1@reader01.news.esat.net>,
"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>
> > In article <foce82$a2a$1@reader01.news.esat.net>,
> > "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> posted:
> > >
> > > Hawaii Moves to Ban Aspartame
> > > (NutraSweet/Equal/E951/Canderel, etc.)
> > >
> > > Tuesday January 22, 2008
> > >
> > > http://www.phxnews.com/fullstory.php?article=56179
> >
> > Thank you for posting the above. I look forward to
> > seeing those products disappearing from store shelves
> > and restaurants here.
> >
> > Namaste, and Aloha from Hawaii,
> >
> > Jai Maharaj
>
> Namaste, Jai Maharaj. It was posted with you in mind. :)
> May it speedily come to pass, and worldwide too. Thank
> you for forwarding that study. It's really no surprise at all.

You're welcome, and my thanks again. Here's a direct link to the bill,
and I will support the activism to support it:

Report Title:
Artificial Sweetener; Aspartame; Ban; Food

Bans the use of the artificial sweetener aspartame in food
products.

THE SENATE
S.B. NO. 2506

TWENTY-FOURTH LEGISLATURE, 2008
STATE OF HAWAII

A BILL FOR AN ACT relating to food.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/Bills/SB2506_.htm

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/24fq83
http://www.mantra.com/jai