Vegetarian Discussion: Recommended Viewing: BBC3 - Kill It, Cook It, Eat It Returns This Time The Killing Of Infant Animals As Young As Three Weeks!

Recommended Viewing: BBC3 - Kill It, Cook It, Eat It Returns This Time The Killing Of Infant Animals As Young As Three Weeks!

Adenoid Hynkel .
2008-01-07 19:22:54 EST
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/kill_it/

Do you ever find yourself indulging in a meat feast and wondering how
the animal made its way to your plate?

Kill It, Cook It, Eat It returns to uncover the facts about how meat
is prepared in the UK for our dining table - and this time, we focus
on the slaughter of young animals.

Veal, milk-fed lambs, kid goats and suckling pigs are slaughtered
regularly in UK abattoirs to feed a small but growing appetite for
younger, more succulent meat. As a nation of animal lovers, the public
may not want to acknowledge that animals are taken from their mothers
while they're still suckling, but it does take place.

The series demonstrates the whole process – how baby animals are
reared, inspected and killed – and shows what the professionals think
about the slaughter process.

Each programme examines the reactions and emotions of an invited group
of guests including meat lovers, farmers, vegetarians and
restaurateurs. They watch the young animals being butchered and
cooked, before deciding whether to taste what they've seen
slaughtered.

In Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, presenter Julia Bradbury (Watchdog,
Wainwright's Walks), leading vet Peter Jinman, master butchers John
Mettrick and Andrew Sharpe, and chef Kate Moore bring together two
moments the public have separated – the death of young animals and the
consumption of their meat.

The programme asks how these animals are raised, where they come from,
and how they're killed and gutted. Should taste take priority over the
welfare of the animal? And, ultimately, how young is too young when it
comes to eating baby animals?

--

My greatest speech to the peasants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em7LWuP0T7Q

pam the SPAMMERS send an email to enquires@urfreesim.co.uk

England / Angelic Upstarts

The red in the flag is the blood that was spilt
In the way that your forefathers tell
And never a country has been so great
The stories Britannia could tell

I never want to live my life
Away from the golden shores
There's never a country in the world
With the scent of an English rose

England oh England a country so great
A land that's so fair and so true
There'll never be any colours like
The red the white and the blue

Whenever you go to a far off land
There's something goes with you
The pride and the joy and the love that comes
For your mother of red white and blue

You could never be born under a flag that's like
The one of the Union Jack
St.Georges spirit has never died
It all keeps coming back

Adenoid Hynkel .
2008-01-08 06:02:17 EST
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 00:22:54 +0000, Adenoid Hynkel .
<*s@urfreesim.co.uk> wrote:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/kill_it/
>
>Do you ever find yourself indulging in a meat feast and wondering how
>the animal made its way to your plate?
>
>Kill It, Cook It, Eat It returns to uncover the facts about how meat
>is prepared in the UK for our dining table - and this time, we focus
>on the slaughter of young animals.
>
>Veal, milk-fed lambs, kid goats and suckling pigs are slaughtered
>regularly in UK abattoirs to feed a small but growing appetite for
>younger, more succulent meat. As a nation of animal lovers, the public
>may not want to acknowledge that animals are taken from their mothers
>while they're still suckling, but it does take place.
>
>The series demonstrates the whole process – how baby animals are
>reared, inspected and killed – and shows what the professionals think
>about the slaughter process.
>
>Each programme examines the reactions and emotions of an invited group
>of guests including meat lovers, farmers, vegetarians and
>restaurateurs. They watch the young animals being butchered and
>cooked, before deciding whether to taste what they've seen
>slaughtered.
>
>In Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, presenter Julia Bradbury (Watchdog,
>Wainwright's Walks), leading vet Peter Jinman, master butchers John
>Mettrick and Andrew Sharpe, and chef Kate Moore bring together two
>moments the public have separated – the death of young animals and the
>consumption of their meat.
>
>The programme asks how these animals are raised, where they come from,
>and how they're killed and gutted. Should taste take priority over the
>welfare of the animal? And, ultimately, how young is too young when it
>comes to eating baby animals?

The pig industry has gone coy all of a sudden!!

http://www.npa-uk.org.uk/
BBC 3 tonight at 10.30

The first series of "Kill it, cook it, eat it" was not damaging for
the livestock industry because (a) it showed good abattoir practice,
and (b) most members of the public who took part in the programme
accepted that if one is to eat meat, at some point animals must be
killed.

However the second series appears to be seeking greater impact.
Younger animals will be killed. NPA advised producers not to provide
animals for the programme, on the grounds that suckling pigs are
hardly a typical part of the pigmeat supply chain in this country.

The series is being shown on BBC Three this week, at 10.30pm. Monday,
suckling pigs; Tuesday, kid goats; Wednesday, veal calves; Thursday,
lambs; Friday, compilation.

--

[...]

2008-01-08 06:09:01 EST
<*s@urfreesim.co.uk> wrote:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/kill_it/
>
>Do you ever find yourself indulging in a meat feast and wondering how
>the animal made its way to your plate?
>
>Kill It, Cook It, Eat It returns to uncover the facts about how meat
>is prepared in the UK for our dining table - and this time, we focus
>on the slaughter of young animals.
>
>Veal, milk-fed lambs, kid goats and suckling pigs are slaughtered
>regularly in UK abattoirs to feed a small but growing appetite for
>younger, more succulent meat. As a nation of animal lovers, the public
>may not want to acknowledge that animals are taken from their mothers
>while they're still suckling, but it does take place.
>
>The series demonstrates the whole process – how baby animals are
>reared, inspected and killed – and shows what the professionals think
>about the slaughter process.
>
>Each programme examines the reactions and emotions of an invited group
>of guests including meat lovers, farmers, vegetarians and
>restaurateurs. They watch the young animals being butchered and
>cooked, before deciding whether to taste what they've seen
>slaughtered.
>
>In Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, presenter Julia Bradbury (Watchdog,
>Wainwright's Walks), leading vet Peter Jinman, master butchers John
>Mettrick and Andrew Sharpe, and chef Kate Moore bring together two
>moments the public have separated – the death of young animals and the
>consumption of their meat.
>
>The programme asks how these animals are raised, where they come from,
>and how they're killed and gutted. Should taste take priority over the
>welfare of the animal? And, ultimately, how young is too young when it
>comes to eating baby animals?

Pig meat in decline!

Slaughterings fall
http://www.npa-uk.org.uk/
Pig slaughterings are falling across Europe, as these figures ('000
head) for November show:

Germany down from 4,502.4 in October to 3,817.1.
Denmark down from 1,933.1 to 1,633.8.
Ireland down from 230.8 to 200.4.
France down from 2,102.0 to 2,082.8.
United Kingdom down from 959.9 to 794.9.
Belgium down from 965.7 to 901.7.

Something to hide Mr Piggie?
http://www.npa-uk.org.uk/
Be aware

Pig producers should be aware that a television production company is
researching a documentary idea that could involve a presenter living
with pigs. If the programme comes off, it may highlight what the
programme-makers consider to be cruel treatment of pigs and what they
consider should be best practice.

--

[...]

2008-01-08 06:33:52 EST
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 03:10:03 -0800 (PST), robertharvey@my-deja.com
wrote:

>Humans are omnivores. I, for one, do not intend to quibble with the
>designer (omnipotent or darwinian)

Presumably don't care where it comes from either?

http://www.factoryfarming.org.uk/

What is Factory Farming?

Intensive, industrialised, factory - they’re all terms that describe
modern farming methods. Intensive because as many animals as possible
are crammed together in the smallest possible space. Industrialised
because feeding, watering and dung clearing are often performed
automatically. Factory because the philosophy of mass production is
what lies behind it all.

Can you conceive the mentality that looked at restlessly strutting
creatures such as chickens - descendants of jungle fowl - and decided
to cram them five to a wire cage no bigger than a microwave oven? Then
they piled thousands of cages one on top of another. And forced the
hens - through selection, lighting and feed - to produce an egg almost
every day of their short lives, when their ancestors lay just 20 a
year. So many that their bones break involuntarily from osteoporosis,
the calcium leached to provide egg shells. That’s what happened and
that’s how 80 per cent of all eggs are still obtained. The sad little
by-products are day-old male chicks, too scrawny for meat and
incapable of laying eggs - so they’re cruelly gassed with CO2 or
crushed to death. Forty million of them every year.

The fate of those chickens selected to provide meat is little better.
As many as 50,000 or more are crammed into a single shed to stand in
their own excreta for the six weeks of their obscenely short lives.
Huge, waddling babies, forced to grow unnaturally fast - so fast that
their hearts can’t cope and many die. Legs give way and break under
their ballooning weight. Despite the ordeal, these perversions of
nature account for almost all chicken meat eaten. Ducks, turkeys and
Guinea fowl all endure similar conditions - and shortly it will be
geese, too.

What sane person would look at highly-intelligent animals such as pigs
and force them into crowded, concrete cells? No bedding, no
enrichment, filth and squalor and absolutely nothing to do - unable to
fulfil even their most basic natural instincts. And as a bonus, cut
off their tails and crush their teeth without anaesthetic in an
attempt to control the resulting aggression.

A special barbarity is reserved for sows - female breeding pigs. Until
recently they spent their entire lives encased in metal - narrow
crates little wider then their bodies, ensuring they could never turn
around or lie down properly. In Britain, continual campaigning has led
to the abolition of these stalls while the sows are pregnant. They
have been substituted with the same barren, concrete filth that meat
pigs endure. But for 70 days a year, they are still confined in metal
farrowing crates while they deliver and suckle their annual 2.5
litters. No wonder they go mad, gnawing at their bars in the bleak and
desolate despair of mental collapse.

These are the obvious forms of factory farming but there are other,
less obvious examples. Despite their seemingly free-range existence,
dairy cows are probably the hardest worked of all farmed animals. They
are one of the few to endure pregnancy and milking both at the same
time. And what milking - up to 10 times the amount they need to
produce to suckle a calf. Look at dairy cows in the field and you will
see hip bones that protrude from their skin like coat hangers through
a flimsy shirt. Watch them as they walk and you will see distended
udders. They will limp and lurch along with difficulty. Hardly
surprising as one third at any one time suffer foot and leg problems
and excruciating laminitis. Another third experience the equally
painful mastitis. Animals that can live into their mid twenties are
exhausted after two or three pregnancies and are slaughtered -
equivalent in age to a teenage girl.

And what of their offspring? All are removed from their mother at two
or three days old, despite her bellows of despair and their own
confusion and fear. Female calves will mostly be kept to replenish the
herd while the teetering little male calves are shot in the head -
another by-product of another cruel industry. Until BSE (mad cow
disease) they were despatched into the barbaric solitary confinement
of Continental veal crates, and purposely diseased with anaemia so
their flesh would appear white on the dinner plates of uncaring and
unconscionable gluttons.

Sheep, too, are touted as free range animals - and so they are. But
that doesn’t tell the full story. Tricked into ovulating at the wrong
time and tricked into producing too many babies - increasingly
triplets - it is a struggle to survive, often on over-grazed, marginal
land. Instead of giving birth in Spring, ewes often deliver their
young as early as December. The result is cold, starvation, disease
and death, which claims 20 per cent of all new born lambs - four
million every year.

And when they’re marketed, each little creature which has known only
the quiet of the countryside will be transported from market place to
holding pen, from livestock dealer to exporter - an average of eight
times each. Many will be subjected to days of road transport - often
as far as Greece - crammed with others in unventilated, unheated
transporters. Many will die - whole consignments have died - of
stress, thirst and heat stroke.

And so it goes on. Beef cattle are no exception and it was unnaturally
being fed the remains of their own kind that has given the world this
terrifying and incurable outbreak of vCJD - the human form of BSE.

This whole cycle of exploitation took wing after the end of the World
War II - or, to be more precise, after 1948 when antibiotics were
first introduced. And it is these which are the key to this unnatural,
cruel and ultimately dangerous abuse of animals. What began with greed
is likely to end in catastrophe. There has been enough writing on the
wall in the form of warnings to graffiti the Great Wall of China. But
still the dosing goes on - often indiscriminately, on a daily basis,
frequently incorporated in food and water.

A whole string of antibiotics and other drugs are administered for
different purposes. Some are used to prevent disease, some are used to
try and cure diseases and some, believe it or not, are used simply to
make animals put on weight more quickly. The onslaught is relentless
and the outcome is not even in doubt any more.

In evolutionary terms, the time from 1948 to today is no more than a
twinkling of light. And yet the results are stark. One by one we have
lost the ability to use specific antibiotics because the bacteria they
are targeted at have developed resistance - the drugs no longer work.
Worse than this, the mutated microbes have the ability to pass on
their resistance to unrelated organisms in an example of microbial
co-operation that no one understands. In severe food poisoning cases,
where a human’s blood becomes infected, there is now only one
antibiotic of last resort - and even a derivative of this is still
being fed to animals. As for the rest - they simply no longer work.

We are staring into the abyss - not my words but those of an official
enquiry into drug-resistant bacteria. As enquiry tumbles on the heels
of enquiry, the farming industry refuses to respond, pleading poverty,
and the government wrings its hands as only governments know how.
Another enquiry will doubtless be launched to add to the many already
held. Then a working party will be formed. Then trials will be held
and then the government will change and we will go back to square one.

Already we have virulent new forms of Salmonella, E.coli and
Campylobacter which have turned food poisoning into an epidemic. And
we have superbugs, which are wreaking havoc in our hospitals. We don’t
know the figures for the UK but in the US, between 20,000 and 60,000
people are dying every year from uncontrollable, deadly infections
they contract while in hospital.

Despite the empty promises of genetic engineering, we are looking at a
bleak future. If things continue as they are, we may return to the
deadly infectious epidemics of the middle ages and where invasive
surgery will be impossible. Even having a tooth out could become life
threatening.

New animal diseases are developing apace and we have no idea if any of
these will devastate humans in a similar way to BSE. We are on the
brink and we have to force farmers and legislators into action.
Factory farming has to end, we have stop this unhealthy and obsessive
promotion of animal protein, we have to begin treating animals with
respect and consideration - or pay the price.

Animal health and human health are both in the balance but so is the
health of the planet. Livestock production is at the heart of most of
the world’s environmental catastrophes - rainforest destruction,
global warming, water depletion, spreading desserts, loss of soil
fertility, soil erosion, ozone depletion and the collapse of the
world’s oceans. Almost everything that humans currently do is
unsustainable. And while we send in our pennies and pounds to
Ethiopian and other famine appeals, no one makes the case that the
west’s obsession with meat plays a direct role in starving the world’s
poorest people. Meat is a killer in every sense of the word.

The most conclusive and effective decision anyone can take to stop
this descent into insanity is to give up meat and become vegetarian or
vegan. In the meantime, a huge step forward can be made by outlawing
factory farming. It isn’t just rhetoric - we really do have to end
factory farming before it ends us!

TONY WARDLE
Associate Director, Viva!

Viva! Vegetarians International Voice for Animals
8 York Court, Wilder Street, Bristol, BS2 8QH, UK
T: 0117 944 1000 F: 0117 924 4646
www.viva.org.uk

--

[...]

Pearl
2008-01-08 08:14:49 EST
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 03:10:03 -0800 (PST), robertharvey@my-deja.com
> wrote:
>
> >Humans are omnivores.

'One of the most famous anatomists, Baron Cuvier, wrote:
"The natural food of man, judging from his structure, appears to
consist principally of the fruits, roots, and other succulent parts
of vegetables. His hands afford every facility for gathering them;
his short but moderately strong jaws on the other hand, and his
canines being equal only in length to the other teeth, together with
his tuberculated molars on the other, would scarcely permit him
either to masticate herbage, or to devour flesh, were these
condiments not previously prepared by cooking."
..
'Linneaus, who introduced binomial nomenclature (naming plants
and animals according to their physical structure) wrote: "Man's
structure, external and internal, compared with that of other
animals shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his
natural food."

Dr. F.A. Pouchet, 19th century author of The Universe, wrote
in his Pluralite' de la Race Humaine: "It has been truly said that
Man is frugivorous. All the details of his intestinal canal, and
above all his dentition, prove it in the most decided manner."

Professor William Lawrence, FRS, in his lectures delivered at
the Royal College of Surgeons in 1822, said:

"The teeth of man have not the slightest resemblance to those of
the carnivorous animals, excepting that their enamel is confined
to the external surface. He possesses, indeed, teeth called canine;
but they do not exceed the level of others, and are obviously
unsuited to the purposes which the corresponding teeth execute
in carnivorous animals. Thus we find, whether we consider the
teeth and jaws, or the immediate instruments of digestion, that the
human structure closely resembles that of the apes, all of whom,
in their natural state, are completely herbivorous (frugivorous)."

Professor Charles Bell, FRS, wrote in his 1829 work, Anatomy,
Physiology, and Diseases of the Teeth: "It is, I think, not going
too far to say that every fact connected with the human
organisation goes to prove that man was originally formed a
frugivorous animal. This opinion is derived principally from the
formation of his teeth and digestive organs, as well as from the
character of his skin and the general structure of his limbs."

Professor Richard Owen, FRS, in his elaborate 1845 work,
Odontography, wrote: "The apes and monkeys, whom man
nearly resembles in his dentition, derive their staple food from
fruits, grain, the kernels of nuts, and other forms in which the
most sapid and nutritious tissues of the vegetable kingdom are
elaborated; and the close resemblance between the
quadrumanous and the human dentition shows that man was,
from the beginning, adapted to eat the fruit of the tree of the
garden."
..
"Man, by nature, was never made to be a carnivorous animal,"
wrote John Ray, FRS, "nor is he armed for prey or rapine, with
jagged and pointed teeth, and claws to rend and tear; but with
gentle hands to gather fruit and vegetables, and with teeth to
chew and eat them."

According to Dr. Spenser Thompson, "No physiologist would
dispute with those who maintain that men ought to have a
vegetable diet."

Dr. S.M. Whitaker, MRCS, LRCP, in Man's Natural Food: An
Enquiry, concluded, "Comparative anatomy and physiology
indicate fresh fruits and vegetables as the main food of man."

More recently, William S. Collens and Gerald B. Dobkens
concluded: "Examination of the dental structure of modern man
reveals that he possesses all the features of a strictly herbivorous
animal. While designed to subsist on vegetarian foods, he has
perverted his dietary habits to accept food of the carnivore. It
is postulated that man cannot handle carnivorous foods like the
carnivore. Herein may lie the basis for the high incidence of
arteriosclerotic disease."
..'
http://www.all-creatures.org/murti/tsnhod-14.html

'Furthermore, William C. Roberts, M.D., Professor and Director
of the Baylor University Medical Center, and Editor in Chief of
the American Journal of Cardiology, stated in this peer-reviewed
journal,

Thus, although we think we are one and we act as if we are one,
human beings are not natural carnivores. When we kill animals to
eat them, they end up killing us because their flesh, which contains
cholesterol and saturated fat, was never intended for human beings,
who are natural herbivores.[11]
..
[11] Roberts, William C. American Journal of Cardiology.
Volume 66, P. 896. 1 Oct, 1990 .
..'
http://animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Morality/examination_of_property.htm

'There appears to be no threshold of plant-food enrichment or
minimization of fat intake beyond which further disease prevention
does not occur. These findings suggest that even small intakes of
foods of animal origin are associated with significant increases in
plasma cholesterol concentrations, which are associated, in turn,
with significant increases in chronic degenerative disease mortality
rates. - Campbell TC, Junshi C. Diet and chronic degenerative
diseases: perspectives from China. Am J Clin Nutr 1994 May;59
(5 Suppl):1153S-1161S.'

Adenoid Hynkel .
2008-01-10 04:21:30 EST
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:18:37 +0000, Derek Moody
<*k@farm-direct.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <dE6IJtAlUHhHFwcW@farmeroz.port995.com>, Oz
><URL:mailto:Oz@farmeroz.port995.com> wrote:
>> Derek Moody <derek@farm-direct.co.uk> writes
>>
>> >Assuming it's burrowing and you can track it to the burrow then, if you're
>> >patient enough (or hungry enough) to wait a few hours over the hole you can
>> >often grab them by hand.
>>
>> Snares reputedly work well. Been in use for 10's of thousands of years.
>
>I haven't used them for years. Used to get a few that way as a lad. Maybe
>I should make some more but atm I don't have anywhere to set them...

This conversation is almost as distasteful as listening to pedophiles
bragging about what they do for fun!

I guess given the characters involved there are no surprises. It's
just one day it would be nice to hear you getting pleasure from doing
something *normal* for a change!