Vegetarian Discussion: Fw: Jews Ban Beef To Save The World?

Fw: Jews Ban Beef To Save The World?

Pearl
2007-11-18 13:57:04 EST
Nov 18, 2007 11:17

Jews ban beef to save the world?

By MEGAN JACOBS

Most Jews are not vegetarians, but some may consider a dietary shift after
seeing A Sacred Duty: Applying Jewish Values to Help Heal the World.
Sponsored by Jewish Vegetarians of North America (JVNA), the
documentary (which premiered at the Orthodox Union's Israel Center in
Jerusalem last week) tackles three major themes: the current peril of global
warming and other environmental threats; teachings in Judaism that may
guide our response to these threats; and how a shift toward vegetarianism
can both alleviate environmental problems and help us fulfill our Jewish
duty.

"I hope to awaken the world to the fact that we are headed toward an
unprecedented global catastrophe," Dr. Richard Schwartz, the film's
producer and president of JVNA, told The Jerusalem Post prior to film's
premiere. "A shift toward plant-based diets is essential to address global
warming and tikkun olam (healing the world)."

The first part of the film presents global environmental concerns
specifically as they affect Israel. Air and water pollution are two of
Israel's biggest ecological issues and Israeli environmentalists worry not
only about the health effects of these problems, but also about the lack
of government concern.

"Everyone is so obsessed with national security that the environment
gets tossed aside," said Yair Cohen, a leader of Green Course, an Israeli
student environmental group that appears in the film.

Leading Israeli environmentalist and founder of the Israel Union for
Environmental Defense, Professor Alon Tal (also featured in the
documentary), called the film "a curious juxtaposition." Aside from
showing natural images, such as the polluted Yarkon River, A Sacred
Duty presents a series of video clips portraying cruelty to farm animals.
It ends on a positive note, however - that we can, in fact, reverse this
catastrophic trend - complete with classic "clean earth" scenes of
foliage, water sports on Israeli beaches and setting suns.

FOR SCHWARTZ and his supporters, one lifestyle change in particular
can have far reaching effects: a shift to plant-based diets. Driven by a 2006
United Nations report which showed that 18% of greenhouse gases come
from livestock agriculture, Schwartz concluded that a vegetarian and vegan
lifestyle was the answer to staying healthier and healing the planet.

For the Jewish community, this dietary decision has particular significance.
Eating an animal-based diet is "no doubt damaging the world and is in
violation of the Jewish mandate to protect and care for the earth," said
Jerusalem rabbi Adam Frank in the documentary. Schwartz agrees. He
even takes it further, insisting that meat-eating is actually in violation of
Jewish law, which requires us to "take care of the body, show
compassion to animals, conserve resources, help hungry people, and
seek and pursue peace."

It taps on environmentalists and rabbinical leaders from multiple strands
of Judaism to embrace this cause and preach it. Rabbi Sha'ar Yashuv
Cohen, Ashkenazic chief rabbi of Haifa, credits his 80 years of good
health to vegetarianism. Rabbi David Rosen, former chief rabbi of Ireland
and international director of religious affairs for the American Jewish
Committee, calls leading a vegetarian lifestyle one of "the most sublime
and noble values."

For Rosen, health and religion are inextricably linked.

"I am vegetarian because I am a religious Jew," Rosen said. "Just because
you have been given permission [to eat meat] does not make it ideal.
Today's reality should lead any honest religious Jew to see that
vegetarianism is a religious imperative."

As much as Schwartz tries to maintain that his documentary is "just trying
to start a respectful dialogue" within the Jewish community and "fulfill a
mandate of awareness," one cannot help but see the interviewees' hope
of influencing the rabbinate with regard to changing the laws of kashrut.
Several figures in the film also claim that the current halachic standards
of kashrut are not consistent with Judaism's approach to animals.

"Even kosher is cruel," said Roberta Kalechofsky, founder and director
of Jews for Animal Rights. She cites violations by two kosher
slaughterhouses in Nebraska and Iowa in addition to the farms that do
abide by current standards, but still do not minimize pain as much as
they could.

Still, while others like Prof. Tal may not discuss the violations of kashrut
in the film, it is clear that it is a belief that motivated them to contribute to
the project. "It is unthinkable that kashrut would cause more pain,"
explained Tal. "It should be the safest, cleanest, and most humane way
[to slaughter]. Halacha is an evolving issue that should change with
technology. We need to be creative and courageous in this."

Schwartz has plans to mass distribute the documentary through screenings
in Israel and in the United States, where free DVDs will be given away.
Viewers are encouraged to organize screenings with leaders in their own
communities to spread the word.

A Sacred Duty will be screened again tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Pardes
Institute in Jerusalem, free of charge.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1195127530680&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

F*@verizon.net
2007-11-18 23:24:18 EST

On 18-Nov-2007, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:

> Nov 18, 2007 11:17
>
> Jews ban beef to save the world?
>
> By MEGAN JACOBS
>
> Most Jews are not vegetarians, but some may consider a dietary shift after
> seeing A Sacred Duty: Applying Jewish Values to Help Heal the World.

Jewish values do NOT mandate vegetarianism.

Susan

LarryLook
2007-11-23 13:18:20 EST

>> Most Jews are not vegetarians, but some may consider a dietary shift
>> after
>> seeing A Sacred Duty: Applying Jewish Values to Help Heal the World.
>
> Jewish values do NOT mandate vegetarianism.
>
> Susan

But Jews value life and the planet. So if it were shown that vegetarianism
was good for humans and animals and better than the alternative wouldn't
that favor vegetarianism? I'm sure most Jews can think about ethics on
their own and come to conclusions that may not be stated in ancient
writings, no?

F*@verizon.net
2007-11-24 23:15:00 EST

On 23-Nov-2007, "LarryLook" <Larry@noemail.com> wrote:

> >> Most Jews are not vegetarians, but some may consider a dietary shift
> >> after
> >> seeing A Sacred Duty: Applying Jewish Values to Help Heal the World.
> >
> > Jewish values do NOT mandate vegetarianism.
> >
> > Susan
>
> But Jews value life and the planet. So if it were shown that
> vegetarianism
> was good for humans and animals and better than the alternative wouldn't
> that favor vegetarianism? I'm sure most Jews can think about ethics on
> their own and come to conclusions that may not be stated in ancient
> writings, no?

Yes, and I'm sure most of us can tell when we;re being sold a bill of goods.
If it can be proven to be better for everyone, of course Jews should do it..
However, the real point of vegans/PETA, etc, is that "animal have rights."
No, they don't. Not like humans do. Judaism knows this.

Susan

B'enjamin C'ramer
2007-11-25 01:16:39 EST

<*R@verizon.net> wrote in message news:8F62j.22465$Xg.17642@trnddc06...

>> > Jewish values do NOT mandate vegetarianism.
>> >
>> > Susan
>>
>> But Jews value life and the planet. So if it were shown that
>> vegetarianism
>> was good for humans and animals and better than the alternative wouldn't
>> that favor vegetarianism? I'm sure most Jews can think about ethics on
>> their own and come to conclusions that may not be stated in ancient
>> writings, no?
>
> Yes, and I'm sure most of us can tell when we;re being sold a bill of
> goods.
> If it can be proven to be better for everyone, of course Jews should do
> it..
> However, the real point of vegans/PETA, etc, is that "animal have rights."
> No, they don't. Not like humans do. Judaism knows this.

Is that the same judaism that preaches that it's kosher to shag three year
old girlies because it's 'owt but a "finger in th eye" type of thing?

You follow a depraved, sick, disgusting, perverted, hateful and deviant
religion, you stupid, dyslexic, thick Irish cunt.

Pearl
2007-11-25 10:45:51 EST
"B'enjamin C'ramer" <onlytetruth@alltimes.yo> wrote in message news:DfudnYpr-eLvjtTanZ2dnUVZ_vWtnZ2d@giganews.com...

> <flaviaR@verizon.net> wrote in message news:8F62j.22465$Xg.17642@trnddc06...

Genesis 1
29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed,
which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which
is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. '

> >> But Jews value life and the planet. So if it were shown that vegetarianism
> >> was good for humans and animals and better than the alternative wouldn't
> >> that favor vegetarianism? I'm sure most Jews can think about ethics on
> >> their own and come to conclusions that may not be stated in ancient
> >> writings, no?
> >
> > Yes, and I'm sure most of us can tell when we;re being sold a bill of goods.
> > If it can be proven to be better for everyone, of course Jews should do it..
> > However, the real point of vegans/PETA, etc, is that "animal have rights."
> > No, they don't. Not like humans do. Judaism knows this.

Jeremiah Chapter 7
21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Add your
burnt-offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat ye flesh. 22 For I
spoke not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day
that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt-
offerings or sacrifices; "

> Is that the same judaism that preaches that it's kosher to shag three year
> old girlies because it's 'owt but a "finger in th eye" type of thing?
>
> You follow a depraved, sick, disgusting, perverted, hateful and deviant
> religion, you stupid, dyslexic, thick Irish cunt.

"I shall be contented with the testimony of Philo on the present
occasion, which he has given about the matter which I am here
explaining in many passages of his treatises. And now do you
take that work which he has written in defence of the Jewish
nation, and read the following sentences in it.

[Essenes: the name]

(11.1) But our lawgiver (Moses) trained an innumerable body
of his pupils to partake in those things, who are called Essenes,
being, as I imagine, honoured with this appellation because of
their exceeding holiness [Greek hosioteta = osiothta].

(EGM 75) There is a portion of those people called Essenes, in
number something more than four thousand in my opinion, who
derive their name from their piety [Greek hosiotetos = osiothtoV],
though not according to any accurate form of the Grecian dialect,
because they are above all men devoted to the service
[therapeutai] of God, not sacrificing living animals, but studying
rather to preserve their own minds in a state of holiness and purity.
...'
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/rak/courses/999/hypothet.htm

'Nasaraeans, meaning, "rebels," who forbid all flesh-eating, and do
not eat living things at all. They have the holy names of patriarchs
which are in the Pentateuch, up through Moses and Joshua the son
of Nun, and they believe in them-(2) I mean Abraham, Isaac, Jacob,
and the earliest ones, and Moses himself, and Aaron, and Joshua.
But they hold that the scriptures of the Pentateuch were not written
by Moses, and maintain that they have others. (Panarion 1:19)
..
"The Nasaraeans - they were jews by nationality - originally from
Gileaditis (where the early followers of Yeshu-Maria fled after the
martyrdom of James the Lord's brother), Bashanitis and the
Transjordon . . . They acknowledged Moses and believed that he
had received laws - not this law, however, but some other. And so,
they were jews who kept all the Jewish observances, but they
would not offer sacrifice or eat meat. They considered it unlawful
to eat meat or make sacrifices with it. They claim that these Books
are fictions, and that none of these customs were instituted by the
fathers. This was the difference between the Nasaraeans and the
others. . . (Epiphanius, Panarion 1:18)
http://essenes.net/sz17.htm

" Thou shalt not take the life from any living thing. Life
comes only from God, who giveth it and taketh it away.
.....'
http://www.thenazareneway.com/essene_gospel_of_peace_book_two.htm#BookOfMoses

F*@verizon.net
2007-11-25 13:45:41 EST

On 25-Nov-2007, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:

> Genesis 1
> 29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed,
> which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which
> is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. '

> > > Yes, and I'm sure most of us can tell when we're being sold a bill of
> > > goods.
> > > If it can be proven to be better for everyone, of course Jews should
> > > do it..
> > > However, the real point of vegans/PETA, etc, is that "animal have
> > > rights."
> > > No, they don't. Not like humans do. Judaism knows this.
>
> Jeremiah Chapter 7
> 21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Add your
> burnt-offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat ye flesh.

And there you go - duelling quotes.
Thsi is why I only follow Torah & not non-Jewish translations.

Susan

RJ11
2007-11-25 14:11:51 EST
In article <DfudnYpr-eLvjtTanZ2dnUVZ_vWtnZ2d@giganews.com>,
B'enjamin C'ramer <onlytetruth@alltimes.yo> wrote:

(hysterical rants given the snip)

Do calm down, "Cramer". Soon, your little brother will arrive
with the new shipment, and everything will be fine.

"my younger Brother got me absolutely stoned on magic mushrooms.
I spent three days sitting in the corner of the tent waiting to come
down." -- the neo-Nazi "Ben Cramer" reflects on his usage of
hallucinatory drugs. Source:

There you go. That's a good lad.

RJ.

Pearl
2007-11-25 14:53:53 EST
<*R@verizon.net> wrote in message news:ppj2j.7562$dh.4491@trnddc05...

> > Genesis 1
> > 29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed,
> > which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which
> > is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. '

> > Jeremiah Chapter 7
> > 21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Add your
> > burnt-offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat ye flesh.
>

> And there you go - duelling quotes.
> Thsi is why I only follow Torah & not non-Jewish translations.
>
> Susan

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et1107.htm

F*@verizon.net
2007-11-25 23:36:01 EST