Vegetarian Discussion: Wildlife Massacre - With Extreme Prejudice: The Culling Of British Wildlife

Wildlife Massacre - With Extreme Prejudice: The Culling Of British Wildlife

Gloria
2007-11-09 16:33:47 EST
Wildlife Massacre

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_wildlife/ALL/1690//
Posted 8 November 2007
Animal Aid today (8th November) has published a damning report on the
hidden motives that drive wildlife culls: convenience, financial
incentives and personal prejudices. Dishonourable mention is reserved
for the 'sport' shooting, sea fishing, angling, farming and pest
control industries.

With Extreme Prejudice: the culling of British wildlife examines the
motivations behind the killing of more than 20 different so-called
'alien', 'pest' and 'predatory' animals and birds. And it criticises
the intolerance of a society that considers animals so worthless,
their lives can be snuffed out if they are deemed to be noisy, messy,
or unsightly, or if their presence is simply unwanted.

The 62-page, fully-illustrated report calls for a shift in how society
thinks about wildlife and urges it learns tolerance for animals, whose
lives are already threatened by development, habitat loss,
industrialised farming, climate change and road traffic. The report
also examines the history of changing fashions in conservation and
denounces the personal prejudices of certain conservation groups that
order culls of one species because they wish to boost numbers of
another.

Says report author and Animal Aid Head of Campaigns, Kate
Fowler-Reeves:

'Intolerance of wild species is now so great that mass killings are
rarely even commented on. Animals and birds are persecuted for daring
to feed themselves and rear offspring; or for being introduced to, or
abandoned in, an area where they naturally would not live. They are
shot, poisoned, trapped and snared for living in what is left of their
fast-dwindling habitat or for adapting to a landscape that - thanks to
human intervention - is changing rapidly. But most of all, they are
persecuted because they pose a financial threat to industries and
'sports', many of which have as their primary objective the killing of
other animals or birds.’

Read the report
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/booklets/Extremeprejudice.pdf

Pearl