Vegetarian Discussion: THE Controversial RSPB Led Slaughter Of A Colony Of Ruddy Ducks Has Started.

THE Controversial RSPB Led Slaughter Of A Colony Of Ruddy Ducks Has Started.

Gloria
2007-11-09 12:13:35 EST
Ruddy Duck cull begins
Neal Keeling
2/11/2007

http://tinyurl.com/yo7jqc
THE controversial cull of a colony of Ruddy Ducks has started.

More than 100 ducks which live on flashes owned by Wigan Council are
to be slaughtered at the request of the Spanish government.

Britain ordered a nationwide cull of the species in 2003 after Spain
complained that the birds were mating with Spanish White Headed Ducks,
threatening their existence.

Yesterday, marksmen hired by the Department for Environment, Food and
Rural Affairs arrived at dawn at Pearson's Flash and began shooting at
the ducks from a boat. They had been given permission by the council
to go on to the land.

Within a couple of hours demonstrators were at the waterside trying to
disrupt the cull.

Wigan councillor Peter Franzen, leader of the Community Action Party,
was among the protesters.

He said: "It is outrageous. The night before the cull, I asked the
leader of the council at a meeting if he knew when it was due to
start. He claimed he did not know, and added that if he did, he would
not tell me or the public on health and safety grounds."

Cynical

Andrew Tyler, director of Animal Aid, Britain's largest animal rights
group, said: "This is a cynical, vicious and pointless exercise in
slaughter. The hybridisation is no longer happening. As the winters in
the UK have got warmer, Ruddy Ducks are not flying to Spain.

"But too many established organisations, like the RSPB and the
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, now support the cull.

"In trial culls of Ruddy Ducks elsewhere in the country, birds took up
to two hours to die, and other birds were shot too."

Greater Manchester's bird recorder Judith Smith said that White Headed
Duck population in Spain had recovered from a reported 22 in 1977 to
about 4,000.

She said that even if a handful of Ruddy Ducks did get to Spain from
Britain they were unlikely to breed with the indigenous species as
female White Headed Ducks now had plenty of potential mates.

The nationwide cull is funded by the government and the European Union
with £3.3m being provided until 2010.

A Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs statement said:
"Ruddy Duck control is taking place in France, Belgium and Spain, but
without action in the UK to eradicate the source population their
actions may prove futile and the future of the White Headed Duck
bleak."

Comments

Those responsible for the cull in Wigan are DEFRA , the WWT, the RSPB
and the entire Wigan Council Labour Group, led by Wigan Council Leader
Lord Peter Smith, who vote slavishly to follow Government policy on
each and every occasion.

In the 1970’s the Whiteheaded duck was facing extinction in Spain due
to hunting.

However thanks to conservation efforts, including the import of
fertilised Whiteheaded duck eggs from Pakistan, the Whiteheaded duck
population in Spain has recovered substantially from a reported 22 in
1977 to around 5,000 today.

Following some evidence, more than five years ago, of incidents of
Ruddy ducks mating with Whiteheaded ducks in Spain and producing
fertile hybrids, Britain agreed to Spanish requests in 2003 for a cull
of Ruddy Ducks.

There have been reports that the only reason for Britain’s agreement
to the slaughter was to comply with Government instructions that all
requests from the Spanish government should be acceded to wherever
possible, to reciprocate the Spanish government's support in 2003 for
the British government's war against Iraq.

During the whole of 2006 only 4 Ruddies and 2 hybrids were found and
shot in Spain.

There is no evidence that the 4 Ruddies migrated from Britain and it
is more likely that they were from a neighbouring country such as
France.

On the contrary the effects of global warming have resulted in British
Ruddy ducks staying closer to their breeding grounds in Britain.

There is no justification for a cull in Britain and the reasons given
are no longer relevant.

The truth is that certain individuals in DEFRA, the WWT and the RSPB
have nailed their colours firmly to the mast and are unwilling to risk
their well paid careers by acknowledging the changed circumstances.

Also there is a £3.3 million “Ruddy duck cull gravy train” rolling and
the beneficiaries are unwilling to get off.

Peter Franzen, Wigan
5/11/2007 at 12:38

A*@aol.com
2007-11-10 12:02:02 EST
This is a nasty piece of ethnic cleansing based on similar principles
that Nazis used against humans in Germany.

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:13:35 +0000, Gloria
<*s@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
>During the whole of 2006 only 4 Ruddies and 2 hybrids were found and
>shot in Spain.
>
>There is no evidence that the 4 Ruddies migrated from Britain and it
>is more likely that they were from a neighbouring country such as
>France.
>
>On the contrary the effects of global warming have resulted in British
>Ruddy ducks staying closer to their breeding grounds in Britain.
>
>There is no justification for a cull in Britain and the reasons given
>are no longer relevant.
>
>The truth is that certain individuals in DEFRA, the WWT and the RSPB
>have nailed their colours firmly to the mast and are unwilling to risk
>their well paid careers by acknowledging the changed circumstances.
>
>Also there is a £3.3 million “Ruddy duck cull gravy train” rolling and
>the beneficiaries are unwilling to get off.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

'Mike'
2007-11-10 12:11:58 EST

<*4@aol.com> wrote in message
> This is a nasty piece of ethnic cleansing based on similar principles
> that Nazis used against humans in Germany.

""There, but for the grace of 'The Few', go I""

http://www.iowtours.com/gallerydetail.asp?photoID=13
http://www.iowtours.com/gallerydetail.asp?photoID=12

:-(((((((

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Malcolm Kane
2007-11-11 12:35:16 EST
In message <4tobj3dtc2703p4gjrc5he56e349jrtmet@4ax.com>,
a*4@aol.com writes
>This is a nasty piece of ethnic cleansing based on similar principles
>that Nazis used against humans in Germany.

Only to those obsessed by nazis and with no real understanding of the
situation. Also who are happy to see species become extinct.
--
Malcolm Kane

Big Bad Bob Brenchley
2007-11-12 02:56:08 EST

Off topic in uk.rec.gardening. Be warned charter violations are not
tolerated.

"Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> During the whole of 2006 only 4 Ruddies and 2 hybrids were found and
> shot in Spain.
>
> There is no evidence that the 4 Ruddies migrated from Britain and it
> is more likely that they were from a neighbouring country such as
> France.
>
> On the contrary the effects of global warming have resulted in British
> Ruddy ducks staying closer to their breeding grounds in Britain.
>
> There is no justification for a cull in Britain and the reasons given
> are no longer relevant.
>
> The truth is that certain individuals in DEFRA, the WWT and the RSPB
> have nailed their colours firmly to the mast and are unwilling to risk
> their well paid careers by acknowledging the changed circumstances.
>
> Also there is a £3.3 million "Ruddy duck cull gravy train" rolling and
> the beneficiaries are unwilling to get off.

Gloria
2007-11-12 03:35:16 EST
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:56:08 -0000, "Big Bad Bob Brenchley"
<*s@whocares.com> wrote:

>Off topic in uk.rec.gardening. Be warned charter violations are not
>tolerated.

Under section 5 sub sec 61A of the Demon.Local up yours amended
charter this post is not only inviolate but also to be encouraged.