Vegetarian Discussion: Public Money Used To Conceal Meat Cancer Risk

Public Money Used To Conceal Meat Cancer Risk
Posts: 9

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Gloria
2007-11-07 13:19:00 EST
Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//

A major new scientific report has produced ‘convincing’ evidence that
eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
alerting consumers to the risks, the government is helping to fund
propaganda offensives by meat industry bodies aimed at concealing the
bad news.

The Meat and Livestock Commission (MLC) and the red meat promotional
body north of the border – Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) – both
expressed alarm ahead of the publication of the World Cancer Research
Fund’s new report.

In June, the Meat and Livestock Commission revealed that it was
involved in a propaganda offensive aimed at doctors to discourage them
from giving out advice based on the new scientific evidence.

Richard Lowe, chief executive of the MLC, told a conference of meat
processors:

‘Our guess is that meat and meat products will be presented [in the
WCRF report] as having convincing evidence of links to cancer. Meat
bodies now are lobbying on a combined response and targeting the
healthcare profession because the danger is from doctors giving advice
based on this.’
More recently, the QMS declared:

‘There are considerable industry fears that a report from the World
Cancer Research Fund due out in November 07 will again use
epidemiological research to raise concerns over the role of red meat
and may go so far as to move it into a category of "probably linked
with bowel cancer" from its current position with the charity of
"possibly linked with bowel cancer".’
The admission came in what turned out to be a successful application
by QMS to Scottish Enterprise for a grant to promote the consumption
of red meat.

The WCRF report is a follow-up to its highly influential 600-page
dossier published 10 years ago. The 1997 report was itself bad news
for the public image of meat, eggs and milk.

Says Animal Aid Director Andrew Tyler:

‘The tobacco industry fought for years to suppress the evidence that
smoking causes cancer. They put their profits before public health
and, as a result, are responsible for the sickness and deaths of
millions of people. And now, the meat industry – when faced with
accumulating evidence of serious human disease caused by their
products – is resorting to the same dirty tricks. It seems that their
strategy is to bombard not just consumers but doctors and health
workers with misleading information about the cancer risks associated
with animal products. Even more extraordinary is that public money is
being used to fund this propaganda.’


Pearl
2007-11-09 07:08:22 EST
"Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
>
> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
>
> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
> alerting consumers to the risks, the government is helping to fund
> propaganda offensives by meat industry bodies aimed at concealing the
> bad news.
>
> The Meat and Livestock Commission (MLC) and the red meat promotional
> body north of the border - Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) - both
> expressed alarm ahead of the publication of the World Cancer Research
> Fund's new report.
>
> In June, the Meat and Livestock Commission revealed that it was
> involved in a propaganda offensive aimed at doctors to discourage them
> from giving out advice based on the new scientific evidence.
>
> Richard Lowe, chief executive of the MLC, told a conference of meat
> processors:
>
> 'Our guess is that meat and meat products will be presented [in the
> WCRF report] as having convincing evidence of links to cancer. Meat
> bodies now are lobbying on a combined response and targeting the
> healthcare profession because the danger is from doctors giving advice
> based on this.'
> More recently, the QMS declared:
>
> 'There are considerable industry fears that a report from the World
> Cancer Research Fund due out in November 07 will again use
> epidemiological research to raise concerns over the role of red meat
> and may go so far as to move it into a category of "probably linked
> with bowel cancer" from its current position with the charity of
> "possibly linked with bowel cancer".'
> The admission came in what turned out to be a successful application
> by QMS to Scottish Enterprise for a grant to promote the consumption
> of red meat.
>
> The WCRF report is a follow-up to its highly influential 600-page
> dossier published 10 years ago. The 1997 report was itself bad news
> for the public image of meat, eggs and milk.
>
> Says Animal Aid Director Andrew Tyler:
>
> 'The tobacco industry fought for years to suppress the evidence that
> smoking causes cancer. They put their profits before public health
> and, as a result, are responsible for the sickness and deaths of
> millions of people. And now, the meat industry - when faced with
> accumulating evidence of serious human disease caused by their
> products - is resorting to the same dirty tricks. It seems that their
> strategy is to bombard not just consumers but doctors and health
> workers with misleading information about the cancer risks associated
> with animal products. Even more extraordinary is that public money is
> being used to fund this propaganda.'

You may also have seen Jon Snow Ch4 News querying the director of
this study about their recommendations not to exceed 500 grams of
red meat p/week, saying it's about the amount people already consume.
The response was a quite telling 'hmm, er.. um.. er..'. And no mention
of poultry, fish, dairy or eggs. In fact, what they have ensured is that
public donations to Cancer Research keep rolling in for years to come.

'*Meta-Analysis: "Milk consumption is a risk factor for prostate
cancer.... In conclusion, we found a positive association between
milk consumption and prostate cancer."
Nutr Cancer. 2004;48(T):22-7. [Search Pubmed.org for 15203374.]

* "Among the food items we examined, cheese was most closely
correlated with the incidence of testicular cancer at ages 20-39,
followed by animal fats and milk.... Concerning prostatic cancer,
milk was most closely correlated with its incidence, followed by
meat and coffee.... The food that was most closely correlated
with the mortality rate of prostatic cancer was milk, followed by
coffee, cheese and animal fats." Int J Cancer. 2002
Mar 10;98(2):262-7. [Search Pubmed.org for 11857417.]
..
* "Suggestive positive associations were also seen between fatal
prostate cancer and the consumption of milk, cheese, eggs, and
meat. There was an orderly dose-response between each of the
four animal products and risk." Am J Epidemiol. 1984
Aug: 120(2):244-50. [Search PubMed.org for 6465122.]
..
* "Positive correlations between foods and cancer mortality rates
were particularly strong in the case of meats and milk for breast
cancer, milk for prostate and ovarian cancer, and meats for colon
cancer." Cancer 1986 Dec 1;58(11):2363-71. [Search Pubmed.org
for 3768832.]
....'
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_257/ai_n7638034

'Dietary Risk Factors for Colon Cancer in a Low-risk Population
(white meat - fish, poultry)
..
Strong positive trends were shown for red meat intake among subjects
who consumed low levels (0-<1 time/week) of white meat and for white
meat intake among subjects who consumed low levels of (0-<1 time/week)
of red meat. The associations remained evident after further categorization
of the red meat (relative to no red meat intake): relative risk (RR) for >0-<1
time/week = 1.38, 95 percent CI 0.86-2.20; RR for 1-4 times/week = 1.77,
95 percent CI 1.05-2.99; and RR for >4 times/week = 1.98, 95 percent CI
1.0-3.89 and white meat (relative to no white meat intake): RR for >0-<1
time/week = 1.55, 95 percent CI 0.97-2.50; RR for 1-4 times/week = 3.37,
95 percent CI 1.60-7.11; and RR for >4 times/week = 2.74, 95 percent CI
0.37-20.19 variables to higher intake levels.
..'
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/148/8/761.pdf




Richard Corbett
2007-11-09 07:14:37 EST

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
news:fh1ijp$2rp$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> "Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
>> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
>>
>> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
>>
>> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
>> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of


<snip

It seems to me then than the only way we can live for ever is to eat
nothing.

Richard



Pearl
2007-11-09 07:38:02 EST
"Richard Corbett" <corbett.chester@virgin.net> wrote in message news:NaYYi.37699$9Y3.35815@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>
> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> news:fh1ijp$2rp$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> > "Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
> >> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
> >>
> >> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
> >>
> >> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
> >> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
>
>
> <snip
>
> It seems to me then than the only way we can live for ever is to eat
> nothing.

... derived from animals.

'There appears to be no threshold of plant-food enrichment or
minimization of fat intake beyond which further disease prevention
does not occur. These findings suggest that even small intakes of
foods of animal origin are associated with significant increases in
plasma cholesterol concentrations, which are associated, in turn,
with significant increases in chronic degenerative disease mortality
rates. - Campbell TC, Junshi C. Diet and chronic degenerative
diseases: perspectives from China. Am J Clin Nutr 1994 May;59
(5 Suppl):1153S-1161S.'

"Indeed, dietary moderation is a consistent feature of the lives of
the superwrinklies. Protein and animal fat typically play a minimal
role in their menus. In Sunchang, for example, rice and boiled
vegetables are a staple. "The white-rice- and-vegetables-dominated
diet consists primarily of carbohydrate, while remaining low in fat,"
says Dr. Park Sang Chul, who heads the World Health Organization's
aging-research center in Seoul and has spent three years studying the
residents of Sunchang. "Low fat content is one of the more crucial
keys toward longevity." The story is similar for the locals of Hunza
Valley, says Khwaja Khan, a physician in the Hunza town of
Karimabad who has treated many of the valley's eldest residents.
The Hunza, Khan says, were cut off from the outside world for
centuries by the 7,000-meter Himalayan peaks ringing the valley, and
until recently were forced to subsist on a spartan menu of apricots,
walnuts, buckwheat cakes and fresh vegetables. Many cross the
century mark, and a few motor on for another 10 years or longer.
... '
http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/printout/0,13675,501030721-464...

'Chin Med J 2000;113(4):358-360
Oral mucosal conditions and some related factors in 140 Uygur
centenarians
QIU Hongsheng , LIU Yi , BAI Shengyi , LI Cuifang , and FENG
Mimi
Urumqi General Hospital of Lanzhou Military Region, PLA, Urumqi
830000, China (Qiu HS and Feng MM); Department of Physiology,
Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi 830054, China (Liu Y); Health
Section of Hetian Military Subarea, PLA, Hetian 848000, China
(Bai SY); Clinic of Rear-Service Department Xinjiang Military Region,
PLA, Urumqi 830002, China (Li CF)
...
Subjects consisted of 140 Uygur centenarians among the ages of
100 to 135 years (100 males and 40 females). All of them lived in the
rural areas of Aksu, Kashi and Hetian counties in Xinjiang Uygur
Autonomous Region.[1] Nearly two thirds of them could take care
of themselves and some even could do slight physical labor. All
subjects were given to these examinations on a voluntary basis.
...
(6) Higher than expected levels of serum sex hormones, thyroid
hormones and OST;
(7) Intaking of large quantities of fresh maize, melon, fruits and
onion all year round;
..
http://www.cmj.org/information/full.asp?id=1099

Note (6).

'Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal
bioavailable androgens in vegan men.
Allen NE, Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ.
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, Imperial Cancer Research Fund,
Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK.

Mean serum insulin-like growth factor-I was 9% lower in 233
vegan men than in 226 meat-eaters and 237 vegetarians (P = 0.002).
Vegans had higher testosterone levels than vegetarians and meat-
eaters, but this was offset by higher sex hormone binding globulin,
and there were no differences between diet groups in free
testosterone, androstanediol glucuronide or luteinizing hormone.
..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10883675&dopt=Citation

(Also note that higher IGF-1 levels are associated with cancer..)




Gloria
2007-11-09 07:55:58 EST
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:14:37 GMT, "Richard Corbett"
<*r@virgin.net> wrote:

>
>"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>news:fh1ijp$2rp$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>> "Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
>>> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
>>>
>>> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
>>>
>>> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
>>> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
>
>
><snip
>
>It seems to me then than the only way we can live for ever is to eat
>nothing.

Or go veggie and start looking after yourself and the planet.



Gloria
2007-11-09 11:37:17 EST
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 13:48:37 -0000, "Pat Gardiner"
<*r@btinternet.com> wrote:

>
>"Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
>> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
>>
>> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
>>
>> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
>> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
>> alerting consumers to the risks, the government is helping to fund
>> propaganda offensives by meat industry bodies aimed at concealing the
>> bad news.
>>
>>snip<
>
>This is far more serious. Look at the figures.
>
>http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/11-06-2007/0004698884&EDATE=
>
>
>New Study Reveals MRSA Bacteria Common Among Pigs and Farm Workers
>
>
> Earlier European Studies Suggested Pigs as Source of Human Infection;
> Congress Needs to Compel Government Action
>
> WASHINGTON, Nov. 6 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new study published in
>Veterinary Microbiology found methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
>(MRSA) prevalent in Canadian pig farms and pig farmers, pointing to animal
>agriculture as a source of the deadly bacteria.
>
> The Veterinary Microbiology study (Khanna et al. 2007) is the first to
>show that North American pig farms and farmers commonly carry MRSA. The
>study looked for MRSA in 285 pigs in 20 Ontario farms. It found MRSA at 45%
>of farms (9/20) and in nearly one in four pigs (71/285). One in five pig
>farmers studied (5/25) also were found to carry MRSA, a much higher rate
>than in the general North American population. The strains of MRSA bacteria
>found in Ontario pigs and pig farmers included a strain common to human
>MRSA infections in Canada.
>
> An estimated nine million Canadian hogs will be imported into the
>United States this year.
>
> A study published last month in the Journal of the American Medical
>Association (JAMA) (Klevens et al. 2007) estimated almost 100,000 MRSA
>infections in 2005, and nearly 19,000 deaths in the United States. In
>comparison, HIV/AIDS killed 17,000 people that year.
>
> Until recently, conventional wisdom had MRSA pegged as an opportunistic
>infection occurring mainly in hospitals. The JAMA study found that even
>healthy people are developing MRSA infections. The Veterinary Microbiology
>study points to pig farms as a possible source of these resistant
>infections, as have earlier European studies.
>
> Members of the Keep Antibiotics Working coalition (KAW), including
>medical, agriculture, and environmental experts, are calling for Congress
>to compel the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to study whether the
>use of human antibiotics in animal agriculture is contributing to the
>reported surge in MRSA infections and deaths in the United States.
>
> "Identifying and controlling community sources of MRSA is a public
>health priority of the first order," said Richard Wood, Executive Director
>of Food Animal Concerns Trust and Steering Committee Chair of Keep
>Antibiotics Working. "Are livestock farmers and farms in the United States
>also sources? We don't know for sure, because the U.S. government is not
>systematically testing U.S. livestock for MRSA."
>
> "Last summer, when we raised the MRSA issue, the FDA told us that it
>had no plans to sample U.S. livestock to see if they carry MRSA," said
>David Wallinga, MD, Director of the Institute for Agriculture and Trade
>Policy's Food and Health Program. "Given the latest science that hog farms
>may generate MRSA, we need Congress to give FDA and other relevant agencies
>the necessary funding and a sense of urgency. Sampling needs to be done as
>soon as possible."
>
> U.S. veterinarians are documented as carriers of MRSA. A 2005 survey of
>attendees at an international veterinary convention in Baltimore, MD, who
>were tested for MRSA found that of the 27 who tested positive, 23 were from
>the United States.
>
> In Europe, MRSA has been shown to be transmitted from pigs to farmers,
>their families, veterinarians, and hospital staff treating farm-infected
>patients. The same pig strain that was detected in Canada has been
>associated in Europe with serious human illness including skin, wound,
>breast, and heart infections, as well as pneumonia.
>
> The heavy use of antibiotics in industrialized livestock operations can
>select for resistant bacteria, such as MRSA. A study in Europe documented
>that pig farms routinely using antibiotics were more likely to have MRSA
>than farms with limited antibiotics use.
>
> Proposed federal legislation, The Preservation of Antibiotics for
>Medical Treatment Act, sponsored by Senate Health Committee Chairman Edward
>Kennedy (D-MA) and Senators Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Susan Collins (R-ME),
>Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Jack Reed (D-RI) in the Senate (S. 549) and Rep.
>Louise Slaughter (D-NY), the only microbiologist in Congress, and 34 other
>House members in the U.S. House of Representatives (H.R. 962), would phase
>out the use of antibiotics that are important in human medicine as animal
>feed additives within two years. The American Medical Association, the
>Infectious Diseases Society of America, and the American Academy of
>Pediatrics are among the more than 350 advocacy groups nationwide that have
>endorsed this bill.
>
>
> Citation
>
> Khanna et al. 2007. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus
>colonization in pigs and pig farmers. Veterinary Microbiology
>doi:10.1016/j.vetmic.2007.10.006.
>

Nightmare stuff, and goes a long, long way to understanding the rife
disease in humans these days.

Richard Corbett
2007-11-09 12:23:34 EST

"Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:e5m8j3ddrdm4hl48dpbm8h0ksj4sndjl8n@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:14:37 GMT, "Richard Corbett"
> <corbett.chester@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>>news:fh1ijp$2rp$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>>> "Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
>>>> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
>>>>
>>>> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
>>>>
>>>> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
>>>> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
>>
>>
>><snip
>>
>>It seems to me then than the only way we can live for ever is to eat
>>nothing.
>
> Or go veggie and start looking after yourself and the planet.
>
>
Makes you fart a lot though.

.............and who can prove that plants feel no pain?

Richard



Gloria
2007-11-09 12:30:28 EST
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:23:34 GMT, "Richard Corbett"
<*r@virgin.net> wrote:

>
>"Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:e5m8j3ddrdm4hl48dpbm8h0ksj4sndjl8n@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:14:37 GMT, "Richard Corbett"
>> <corbett.chester@virgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>>>news:fh1ijp$2rp$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>>>> "Gloria" <letsstandup2bullies@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>> news:aa04j395qkn32qbcdqc19220g41geuadpg@4ax.com...
>>>>> Public money used to conceal meat cancer risk
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1683//
>>>>>
>>>>> A major new scientific report has produced 'convincing' evidence that
>>>>> eating red meat increases the risk of bowel cancer. But instead of
>>>
>>>
>>><snip
>>>
>>>It seems to me then than the only way we can live for ever is to eat
>>>nothing.
>>
>> Or go veggie and start looking after yourself and the planet.
>>
>>
>Makes you fart a lot though.

Actually it doesn't, but a night out on the curry or MacDs sure will.

>
>.............and who can prove that plants feel no pain?

We can prove animals feel pain.

Buddenbrooks
2007-11-09 15:18:44 EST

"Richard Corbett" <corbett.chester@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:NaYYi.37699$9Y3.35815@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
>
> It seems to me then than the only way we can live for ever is to eat
> nothing.
>


From the look of Twiggy in the M&S adds, it seems to work well.


Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron