Vegetarian Discussion: Infected Animals Everywhere. Foot And Mouth Now Hits Norfolk. Time To Go Veggie?

Infected Animals Everywhere. Foot And Mouth Now Hits Norfolk. Time To Go Veggie?

Old Codger
2007-09-13 09:28:58 EST
Foot and mouth hits Norfolk
http://tinyurl.com/yux6af
PETER WALSH
12 September 2007 17:21

A three kilometre exclusion zone has been set up around a farm in
Norfolk only hours after initial tests confirmed a new outbreak of
foot and mouth in Surrey.

The Department For Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) has
confirmed the second exclusion zone has been put in place in Norfolk.
The affected farm is believed to at Hindolveston, near Bawdeswell.

It follows confirmation that a farm in Egham, Surrey, has been hit by
the disease - just 10 miles from August's outbreak centred on
Pirbright.

Defra set up the first temporary control zone of 10km (6.2 miles)
around the location of the Surrey outbreak, thought to be part of the
Milton Park Farm Estate.

Part of the Queen's Windsor Estate falls within the10km control zone.

The measure has forced the closure of the deer park, Guards Polo Club
and some footpaths in the Windsor Estate.

Paddy Johnson
2007-09-13 10:27:10 EST

"Old Codger" <OldTodger@EuroSeptic.Con> wrote in message
> Foot and mouth hits Norfolk
> http://tinyurl.com/yux6af
> PETER WALSH
> 12 September 2007 17:21
>
> A three kilometre exclusion zone has been set up around a farm in
> Norfolk only hours after initial tests confirmed a new outbreak of
> foot and mouth in Surrey.
>
> The Department For Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) has
> confirmed the second exclusion zone has been put in place in Norfolk.
> The affected farm is believed to at Hindolveston, near Bawdeswell.
>
> It follows confirmation that a farm in Egham, Surrey, has been hit by
> the disease - just 10 miles from August's outbreak centred on
> Pirbright.
>
> Defra set up the first temporary control zone of 10km (6.2 miles)
> around the location of the Surrey outbreak, thought to be part of the
> Milton Park Farm Estate.
>
> Part of the Queen's Windsor Estate falls within the10km control zone.
>
> The measure has forced the closure of the deer park, Guards Polo Club
> and some footpaths in the Windsor Estate.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that animal rights terrorists were
connected with the outbreaks.

P.

@@^>
2007-09-13 10:40:40 EST
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:27:10 +0100, "Paddy Johnson"
<*r@f2s.com> wrote:

>"Old Codger" <OldTodger@EuroSeptic.Con> wrote in message
>> Foot and mouth hits Norfolk
>> http://tinyurl.com/yux6af
>> PETER WALSH
>> 12 September 2007 17:21
>>
>> A three kilometre exclusion zone has been set up around a farm in
>> Norfolk only hours after initial tests confirmed a new outbreak of
>> foot and mouth in Surrey.
>>
>> The Department For Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) has
>> confirmed the second exclusion zone has been put in place in Norfolk.
>> The affected farm is believed to at Hindolveston, near Bawdeswell.
>>
>> It follows confirmation that a farm in Egham, Surrey, has been hit by
>> the disease - just 10 miles from August's outbreak centred on
>> Pirbright.
>>
>> Defra set up the first temporary control zone of 10km (6.2 miles)
>> around the location of the Surrey outbreak, thought to be part of the
>> Milton Park Farm Estate.
>>
>> Part of the Queen's Windsor Estate falls within the10km control zone.
>>
>> The measure has forced the closure of the deer park, Guards Polo Club
>> and some footpaths in the Windsor Estate.
>
>It wouldn't surprise me to learn that animal rights terrorists were
>connected with the outbreaks.

It's very likely anglers dressed as garden gnomes, as personal hygiene
was never a consideration for them, or the pro hunt nuts.

Either way save yourself and go veggie.

--

Hansom <0>++<0>

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

Baroness Edwina Frogbucket
2007-09-13 12:58:41 EST

"Old Codger" <OldTodger@EuroSeptic.Con> wrote in message
> Foot and mouth hits Norfolk
> http://tinyurl.com/yux6af
> PETER WALSH
> 12 September 2007 17:21
>
> A three kilometre exclusion zone has been set up around a farm in
> Norfolk only hours after initial tests confirmed a new outbreak of
> foot and mouth in Surrey.

As far as I'm aware, the only reason there's mass hysteria regarding F&M is
because the animals who contract the disease lose weight and thus, value.
Apparently, the disease is not dangerous to humans - it's all down to money.

--
Baroness Edwina Frogbucket

@@^>
2007-09-13 13:27:57 EST
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:58:41 +0100, "Baroness Edwina Frogbucket"
<*t@woohoo.co.yuk> wrote:

>"Old Codger" <OldTodger@EuroSeptic.Con> wrote in message
>> Foot and mouth hits Norfolk
>> http://tinyurl.com/yux6af
>> PETER WALSH
>> 12 September 2007 17:21
>>
>> A three kilometre exclusion zone has been set up around a farm in
>> Norfolk only hours after initial tests confirmed a new outbreak of
>> foot and mouth in Surrey.
>
>As far as I'm aware, the only reason there's mass hysteria regarding F&M is
>because the animals who contract the disease lose weight and thus, value.
>Apparently, the disease is not dangerous to humans - it's all down to money.

No doubt about it. It goes to show the filthy conditions these animals
have to endure, and consequently what some people eat!

I'm glad I don't eat meat.

--

[...]

Crazyhorse
2007-09-13 13:37:51 EST
On 13 Sep, 18:27, "@@^>" <SloaneRan...@devnull.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:58:41 +0100, "Baroness Edwina Frogbucket"
>

> <edwinafrogbuc...@woohoo.co.yuk> wrote:
>
> >"Old Codger" <OldTod...@EuroSeptic.Con> wrote in message
> >> Foot and mouth hits Norfolk
> >>http://tinyurl.com/yux6af
> >> PETER WALSH
> >> 12 September 2007 17:21
>
> >> A three kilometre exclusion zone has been set up around a farm in
> >> Norfolk only hours after initial tests confirmed a new outbreak of
> >> foot and mouth in Surrey.
>
> >As far as I'm aware, the only reason there's mass hysteria regarding F&M is
> >because the animals who contract the disease lose weight and thus, value.
> >Apparently, the disease is not dangerous to humans - it's all down to money.
>
> No doubt about it. It goes to show the filthy conditions these animals
> have to endure, and consequently what some people eat!
>
> I'm glad I don't eat meat.
>
> --
>
> Hansom <0>++<0>
>
> Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!
>
> PRAYER FOR A NATION
>
> When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
> to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
> the usual politically correct generalities.
> But what they heard instead was this:
>
> Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
> and seek your direction and guidance.
> We know Your Word says,
> 'Woe on those who call evil good,' but that's exactly what we have done.
> We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.
>
> We confess that:
>
> We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;
>
> We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;
>
> We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;
>
> We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;
>
> We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;
>
> We have killed our unborn and called it choice;
>
> We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;
>
> We have abused power and called it political savvy;
>
> We have coveted our neighbour's possessions and called it ambition;
>
> We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;
>
> We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.
>
> Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
> cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
> been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.
>
> Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen."
>
> ****************

I like meat. Especially lambs.

I gather sheep can carry the virus but not show any symptoms.

What I find curious, is why farmers burst into tears when their cows
are slaughtered on the farm due to f&m, but not when they are
slaughtered in abattoirs when perfectly healthy. Are they really only
interested in animals for their cash value?

Can I really be this naive?

Gloria
2007-09-13 14:02:28 EST
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:37:51 -0700, crazyhorse
<crazy_horse_12002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 13 Sep, 18:27, "@@^>" <SloaneRan...@devnull.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:58:41 +0100, "Baroness Edwina Frogbucket"
>>

>> <edwinafrogbuc...@woohoo.co.yuk> wrote:
>>
>> >"Old Codger" <OldTod...@EuroSeptic.Con> wrote in message

>> >As far as I'm aware, the only reason there's mass hysteria regarding F&M is
>> >because the animals who contract the disease lose weight and thus, value.
>> >Apparently, the disease is not dangerous to humans - it's all down to money.
>>
>> No doubt about it. It goes to show the filthy conditions these animals
>> have to endure, and consequently what some people eat!
>>
>> I'm glad I don't eat meat.
>>

>I like meat. Especially lambs.
>
>I gather sheep can carry the virus but not show any symptoms.

Sheep can, and do carry far more diseases. All meat in the UK is
infected with various diseases.

>What I find curious, is why farmers burst into tears when their cows
>are slaughtered on the farm due to f&m, but not when they are
>slaughtered in abattoirs when perfectly healthy. Are they really only
>interested in animals for their cash value?

Crocodile tears usually, they will be heavily compensated at the tax
payers expense anyway, often better prices then they can sell end of
life animals for.

>Can I really be this naive?

Farmers care about nothing but themselves, they are even happy putting
their own families at risk.

Why farm antibiotics are a worry

These free-range chickens do not need routine antibiotics: Broiler
chickens do

By Environment Correspondent Alex Kirby
Bacteria have been around for 3.5 billion years, so they have learnt
the techniques of survival.

The discovery of antibiotics 70 years ago was just one more challenge
to them. And they are set to surmount it.

In 1969 a government committee gave a warning of the number of strains
of bacteria acquiring resistance to one or more drugs, and the ability
of resistant strains to transmit resistant genes to other bacteria.

The committee said salmonella was becoming resistant to several drugs,
and it warned that people could die.

People at risk

In the four years from 1992 there were 46 outbreaks of salmonella in
the United Kingdom, most involving strains resistant to at least five
antibiotics. Five people died.

The World Health Organisation says that resistant strains of four
bacteria which affect humans have now been transmitted to people from
animals - salmonella, campylobacter, enterococci, and E. coli.

And it says the bacteria may prove resistant, not just to the
antibiotics used on animals, but to those used to fight serious
illness in people.

More antibiotics are in fact used on animals than on humans. The WHO
says more than half of global production is used on farm animals.

Pigs may receive up to ten separate drugs

A recent Soil Association report said about 1,225 tonnes of
antibiotics were used annually in the UK - 38% for treating humans,
37% for farm animals, and 25% for pets and horses.

In the last 30 years the use of penicillin-type drugs in farm animals
has increased by 600%, and of tetracyclines by 1,500%.

Antibiotics are used in farming in four main ways:

To treat sick animals
To protect individual healthy animals against a risk of infection
To protect an entire herd or flock on a routine basis against the
diseases of intensive farming
As growth promoters, to make the animals grow up to 10% faster
The drugs are seldom used on beef cattle, though dairy cows have tubes
of antibiotics inserted into the teats of their udders when they stop
producing milk before calving again.

Fish farming also employs antibiotics, though most of what is used
escapes into the environment without being ingested by the fish.

The main use of antibiotics in farming is in pigs and chickens.

Doubled growth rate

Laying birds - battery hens - are not normally given growth promoters,
but may well receive therapeutic doses.

Intensive rearing can be stressful

Broiler chickens are given growth promoters and are also routinely
treated with drugs for parasitic infections. They now reach their
slaughter weight in six weeks, twice as fast as 30 years ago.

Even so, about 10% of the number killed annually in the UK - in other
words, nearly 80 million birds - are contaminated with salmonella.

In 1996 a government report said 44% were contaminated with
campylobacter.

The number of pigs reared annually in the UK for slaughter is about 14
million. They are given growth promoters and routine therapeutic doses
to guard against the diseases of stressed and intensive rearing.

The Soil Association says pigs may receive up to 10 different
antibiotics, by injection, in water and in feed.

Making a start

Peter Stevenson, of Compassion in World Farming, told BBC News Online
he welcomed Grampian Country Food's decision to stop using growth
promoters.

He hoped it would be a first step "to encourage real reform of the
broiler industry".

"Farmers must not use antibiotics as a substitute for good husbandry.
And this phase-out must be extended to cover pigs."

FACE
2007-09-13 14:48:18 EST
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:37:51 -0700, in uk.politics.misc crazyhorse
<crazy_horse_12002@yahoo.co.uk>, wrote

>I like meat. Especially lambs.
>
>I gather sheep can carry the virus but not show any symptoms.
>
>What I find curious, is why farmers burst into tears when their cows
>are slaughtered on the farm due to f&m, but not when they are
>slaughtered in abattoirs when perfectly healthy. Are they really only
>interested in animals for their cash value?
>
>Can I really be this naive?

I would guess that their reaction is similar to a farmer watching someone burn his
growing fields, though he would have harvested them anyway..........

FACE

Gloria
2007-09-13 14:52:21 EST
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:48:18 -0400, FACE <AFaceInTheCrowd@today.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 10:37:51 -0700, in uk.politics.misc crazyhorse
><crazy_horse_12002@yahoo.co.uk>, wrote
>
>>I like meat. Especially lambs.
>>
>>I gather sheep can carry the virus but not show any symptoms.
>>
>>What I find curious, is why farmers burst into tears when their cows
>>are slaughtered on the farm due to f&m, but not when they are
>>slaughtered in abattoirs when perfectly healthy. Are they really only
>>interested in animals for their cash value?
>>
>>Can I really be this naive?
>
>I would guess that their reaction is similar to a farmer watching someone burn his
>growing fields, though he would have harvested them anyway..........

Not sure they receive handsome compensation for burning fields.

Mel Rowing
2007-09-13 15:01:14 EST
On 13 Sep, 18:37, crazyhorse <crazy_horse_12...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> What I find curious, is why farmers burst into tears when their cows
> are slaughtered on the farm due to f&m, but not when they are
> slaughtered in abattoirs when perfectly healthy. Are they really only
> interested in animals for their cash value?
>
> Can I really be this naive?

Apparently so!

Fatstock come from bloodstock. The latter can represent a lifetime's
investment in time and effort.

When F&M strikes both go.