Vegetarian Discussion: The Fascinating Story Of Barbara Moore, M.D. Of London, Breatharian

The Fascinating Story Of Barbara Moore, M.D. Of London, Breatharian

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

Dr L Oh
2007-09-04 02:53:43 EST
The fascinating story of Barbara Moore, M.D. of London, a modern-day
Breatharian, is a prime example of a person who had the conviction
that Breatharianism is a fact and not fiction.

At any rate, here is her story, as quoted from Viktoras Kulvinskas’
hard-to-find 1975 book "Survival into the 21st Century".

http://tinyurl.com/ynofno

"A heroic figure is Barbara Moore, M.D. of London. A news release by
the London Sunday Chronicle dated 17 June 1951 reads:

A woman of 50, who looks like she was only 30, claimed yesterday that
she hates food, has beaten old age, and expects to live at least 150
years. She has set out to do it by giving up eating.

Twenty years ago she ate three normal meals a day. Slowly for 12 years
she reduced her eating until she was keeping fit on one meal a day of
grass, chickweed, clover, dandelion and an occasional glass of fruit
juice.

Five years ago she switched entirely to juices and raw tomatoes,
oranges, grasses and herbs. Now she drinks nothing but a glass of
water flavored with a few drops of lemon juice.

She says: "There is much more in sunlight and air than can be seen by
the naked eye or with scientific instruments. The secret is to find
the way to absorb that extra - that cosmic radiation - and turn it
into food; that is what I have done.".

Each year she goes to Switzerland for the better air and climbs
mountains on a diet of water from the streams. "You see", she
explains, "my body cells and blood have changed considerably in
composition. I’m impervious to heat or hunger or fatigue."

She continued:
"Winter or Summer, even in Switzerland, I wear only a short sleeved
jumper and skirt. In cold weather people stare at me. While they
shiver in furs, I am warm. I’m as strong as a man and need only 3
hours sleep for mental relaxation. As my body is free of toxins, I’m
never ill."

"I had to advance slowly from vegetarianism to uncooked fruit and then
to liquid. Now I’m working towards Cosmic Food (Air). I’ve passed the
eating stage and could not eat if I desired as my alimentary canal has
changed considerably. It is no longer a filthy tube and is unable to
handle any fiber."

"Instead of thinking my life will end in ten years, I’m growing
younger. Anyone can do the same if they try. The tragedy is that
eating is one of the great pleasures of life. To stop eating is to
experience discomfort only when the body is adjusting itself to the
new course which was the original course. I now find even the odor of
food nauseating."

Viktoras Kulviskas continues writing in "...21st Century" but there
appear a few inconsistencies which I have been able to correct by
writing to the author as you can see a little further down this page.

Kulvinskas writes...
"In 1961, Dr. Morris Krok of Durban South Africa, published "Conquest
of Disease," where he reproduced a part of a speech by Dr. Moore,
which was written up in: "Life Natural, Ganeshganar, Padukottai, S.
Ry, India. Nov. 1960".

This is an extract:
‘By experimenting on myself, I’ve found that neither energy nor body
heat come[s] from food. It’s a fact, paradoxical, yet true, that I
spent three months in the mountains of Switzerland and Italy eating
nothing but snow and drinking only snow water. ‘I was climbing
mountains daily, not just fasting and sitting down and reading a book
or gazing at the sky. No, I was hiking daily from my hotel to the
mountains, often 15 miles, climbing up to seven or eight thousand
feet, then coming down and walking another 15 to 20 miles to my hotel.
‘During my fasting, I climbed mountains daily; and if I could not on
account of bad weather, I’d walk 30 to 40 miles. That proved it to me.
Year after year I’ve done the same thing to find out whether it is
true or not. For one year it may work and the next it may not work
with the same body. So, I’ve done it year after year and find that
neither energy nor heat of the body comes from physical food. 'When I
discovered this, I went a step further; I wanted to see whether I
could live without food at all; not for two or three months, but for a
longer period. I found this also possible, but not quite on an
ordinary level, as it were. I can do that in the mountains, but it is
more difficult when I come down to an ordinary level [sea level?
J.B.]. I find the air is different. I hope in time to live entirely on
air... I’m a very busy person and have little time to sleep. I’m never
tired or hungry."

Also, The Vegetarian News has an article by Barbara Moore-Pataleewa on
'The bad aspects of the English Diet'. What is wrong with traditional
English Cuisine? She reckons: 'I am not alone of all the foreigners
who find it unhealthy and unappetising, and I am speaking more
particularly of the normal vegetarian diet.' She goes on to complain
of 'crunchy-munchy' types of breakfast cereal, overcooked potatoes,
sloppy porridge. heavy, soggy steamed puddings, milk puddings and
strong tea. Even in 1946 she's pointing out that: 'the ever increasing
hypnosis of advertising magic' endows 'fancy looking cartons and boxes
with amazing qualities.'

Barbara Moore died (was hit by a car) while walking coast-to-coast in
the USA.

Truth.. Simplicity.. Love

'Mike'

> Barbara Moore died (was hit by a car) while walking coast-to-coast in
> the USA.

Rather ironic that she should die that way. I remember her well and whenever
she did her walks in this country, John o Groats to Lands End was a regular,
she always had a following.

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

@@^>
2007-09-04 04:05:11 EST
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:53:43 +0100, Dr L Oh <drloh@meded.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>air... I’m a very busy person and have little time to sleep. I’m never
>tired or hungry."
>
>Also, The Vegetarian News has an article by Barbara Moore-Pataleewa on
>'The bad aspects of the English Diet'. What is wrong with traditional
>English Cuisine? She reckons: 'I am not alone of all the foreigners
>who find it unhealthy and unappetising, and I am speaking more
>particularly of the normal vegetarian diet.' She goes on to complain
>of 'crunchy-munchy' types of breakfast cereal, overcooked potatoes,
>sloppy porridge. heavy, soggy steamed puddings, milk puddings and
>strong tea. Even in 1946 she's pointing out that: 'the ever increasing
>hypnosis of advertising magic' endows 'fancy looking cartons and boxes
>with amazing qualities.'

>Barbara Moore died (was hit by a car) while walking coast-to-coast in

Doesn't seem to be that much available online about her.

--

Hansom <0>++<0>

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

@@^>
2007-09-04 04:06:09 EST
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:12:29 +0100, "'Mike'" <3d&6d@woolies.com> wrote:

>> Barbara Moore died (was hit by a car) while walking coast-to-coast in
>> the USA.
>>

>Rather ironic that she should die that way. I remember her well and whenever
>she did her walks in this country, John o Groats to Lands End was a regular,
>she always had a following.

1000mls in 23 days! I doubt many could have followed :-)

I'm curious about the diet.

--

[...]

2007-09-04 04:20:33 EST

"@@^>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 08:12:29 +0100, "'Mike'" <3d&6d@woolies.com> wrote:

>>> Barbara Moore died (was hit by a car) while walking coast-to-coast in
>>> the USA.
>>>

>>Rather ironic that she should die that way. I remember her well and
>>whenever
>>she did her walks in this country, John o Groats to Lands End was a
>>regular,
>>she always had a following.
>>

> 1000mls in 23 days! I doubt many could have followed :-)

eeerr ;-)

'Followed' her through the villages ;-) She used to go at a cracking pace. I
seem to remember her with her hair done up in a woollen headscarf ? Someone
will correct me if I am wrong.

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

'Mike'
2007-09-04 04:24:25 EST

"'Mike'" <3d&6d@woolies.com> wrote in message

> "@@^>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message

>>>Rather ironic that she should die that way. I remember her well and
>>>whenever
>>>she did her walks in this country, John o Groats to Lands End was a
>>>regular,
>>>she always had a following.
>>>

>> 1000mls in 23 days! I doubt many could have followed :-)
>>

> eeerr ;-)
>
> 'Followed' her through the villages ;-) She used to go at a cracking pace.
> I seem to remember her with her hair done up in a woollen headscarf ?
> Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

:-)

Just found this :-

http://www.vivendodaluz.com/EN/amboflight/barbara_moore.html

As I remembered her.

Quite a bit on google if you put in Dr Barbara Moore. Long distance walker

Hope that helps.

(That turned the clock back a bit!!)

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

@@^>
2007-09-04 04:53:37 EST
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:24:25 +0100, "'Mike'" <3d&6d@woolies.com> wrote:

>"'Mike'" <3d&6d@woolies.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "@@^>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message

>>> 1000mls in 23 days! I doubt many could have followed :-)
>>>

>> eeerr ;-)
>>
>> 'Followed' her through the villages ;-) She used to go at a cracking pace.
>> I seem to remember her with her hair done up in a woollen headscarf ?
>> Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
>>

>:-)
>
>Just found this :-
>
>http://www.vivendodaluz.com/EN/amboflight/barbara_moore.html
>
>As I remembered her.
>
>Quite a bit on google if you put in Dr Barbara Moore. Long distance walker

Actually not that much in reality, all things considered which is a
shame.

--

[...]

John McMillan
2007-09-04 06:25:09 EST
I'm intrigued by this bit:-

> She says: "There is much more in sunlight and air than can be seen by
> the naked eye or with scientific instruments. The secret is to find
> the way to absorb that extra - that cosmic radiation - and turn it
> into food; that is what I have done.".

Was this ever tested? Presumably there was less cosmic radiation
below her than above, since she was absorbing some in order to live.
Fairly easy to measure, I'd have thought.
Was she very dense?

Graham
2007-09-04 06:49:16 EST

"John McMillan" <j.e.mcmillan@sheffielddot.acdot.uk> wrote in message
> I'm intrigued by this bit:-
>

>> She says: "There is much more in sunlight and air than can be seen by
>> the naked eye or with scientific instruments. The secret is to find
>> the way to absorb that extra - that cosmic radiation - and turn it
>> into food; that is what I have done.".
>>

> Was this ever tested? Presumably there was less cosmic radiation
> below her than above, since she was absorbing some in order to live.
> Fairly easy to measure, I'd have thought.
> Was she very dense?

I remember her as a crank!
Graham

Jette
2007-09-04 07:13:26 EST
'Mike' wrote:
> "'Mike'" <3d&6d@woolies.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "@@^>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message

>>> 1000mls in 23 days! I doubt many could have followed :-)
>>>
>> eeerr ;-)
>>
>> 'Followed' her through the villages ;-) She used to go at a cracking pace.
>> I seem to remember her with her hair done up in a woollen headscarf ?
>> Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
>>

> :-)
>
> Just found this :-
>
> http://www.vivendodaluz.com/EN/amboflight/barbara_moore.html

Err - above the photograph it says "picture of Dr Moore walking across
America before her tragic accident"

Below the photograph it says "pictured at Penrith, halfway point on
her John O'Groats to Land's End marathon", which would place it in the
UK. The car number plate just visible would support that - it's a UK
style number not a US style plate.

The text says that she wore short sleeved shirts and skirts "winter
and summer" in Switzerland and was warm dressed like that while
everyone else was shivering in furs - yet she's clearly wearing a nice
warm sheepskin coat and sensible trousers in that photo, in England,
and doesn't look too warm.

--
Jette Goldie
j*e@blueyonder.co.uk