Vegetarian Discussion: Deer_shooting_pair_fined_by_court_in_Aberdeenshire_-_Lloyd_Fowlie,_19,_was_fined_£750_and_Steven_Wilson,_23,_was_fined_£500?

Deer_shooting_pair_fined_by_court_in_Aberdeenshire_-_Lloyd_Fowlie,_19,_was_fined_£750_and_Steven_Wilson,_23,_was_fined_£500?

Dr L Oh
2007-09-01 04:15:02 EST
Deer shooting pair fined by court

Two young men have been fined for shooting four deer with an illegally
held rifle in Aberdeenshire.
Lloyd Fowlie, 19, was fined £750 and Steven Wilson, 23, was fined £500
for shooting three roe deer and a red deer.

The deer were found in a ditch at the edge of woodland in the Cushnie
area near Alford last November. They had been shot with a .22 rifle.

Fowlie, of Tough, and Wilson, of Sauchen, admitted shooting the deer
and were fined at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.

'Farming backgrounds'

The pair claimed they had been out hunting rabbits but fired six
bullets into each deer on Fowlie's father's land because they had been
eating on the land.

Sheriff Alexander Jessop said: "I appreciate that they are both from
farming backgrounds and live in the country.

"I feel it was committed out of ignorance rather than badness, but you
didn't have the right to shoot these deer and by using the weapon you
did you might have caused them additional distress because it was not
powerful enough."

They admitted illegally killing the four deer at the Guise of Tough on
14 November.

They also admitted possessing the .22 rifle without a certificate and
using the gun and bullets.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6972443.stm

Published: 2007/08/31 14:42:43 GMT

Yes Baby
2007-09-01 04:56:18 EST

"Dr L Oh" <drloh@meded.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Deer shooting pair fined by court
>
> Two young men have been fined for shooting four deer with an illegally
> held rifle in Aberdeenshire.
> Lloyd Fowlie, 19, was fined \ufffd750 and Steven Wilson, 23, was fined \ufffd500
> for shooting three roe deer and a red deer.
>
> The deer were found in a ditch at the edge of woodland in the Cushnie
> area near Alford last November. They had been shot with a .22 rifle.
>
> Fowlie, of Tough, and Wilson, of Sauchen, admitted shooting the deer
> and were fined at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.
>
> 'Farming backgrounds'
>
> The pair claimed they had been out hunting rabbits but fired six
> bullets into each deer on Fowlie's father's land because they had been
> eating on the land.
>
> Sheriff Alexander Jessop said: "I appreciate that they are both from
> farming backgrounds and live in the country.
>
> "I feel it was committed out of ignorance rather than badness, but you
> didn't have the right to shoot these deer and by using the weapon you
> did you might have caused them additional distress because it was not
> powerful enough."
>
> They admitted illegally killing the four deer at the Guise of Tough on
> 14 November.
>
> They also admitted possessing the .22 rifle without a certificate and
> using the gun and bullets.
>
> Story from BBC NEWS:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6972443.stm
>
> Published: 2007/08/31 14:42:43 GMT

I lived 15 miles north of Aberdeen at Oldmeldrum between 81 and 86 and have
a true story about an accidental dear cull..........

I used to shoot pigeons for the local farmer and while sitting in a hide
fairly high in a field I watched a pair of roe dear in a field below. They
were making their way towards me but would have to cross the B947 road which
separated the fields.

As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right into the
path of a small white van which knocked it over and no doubt killed it
outright as it appeared lifeless. The driver carried on for about a 1/2 mile
but then stopped and turned around. He went back to the dear, jumped out,
opened the back doors picked up the dear and hauled it in and quickly drove
away..........oblivious to me watching from a high. A nice meal no doubt for
the week and no so much a waste I considered.

PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they made their
path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun is unforgivable.

Dutch
2007-09-01 06:05:48 EST
Yes Baby wrote:
> "Dr L Oh" <drloh@meded.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Deer shooting pair fined by court
>>
>> Two young men have been fined for shooting four deer with an illegally
>> held rifle in Aberdeenshire.
>> Lloyd Fowlie, 19, was fined £750 and Steven Wilson, 23, was fined £500
>> for shooting three roe deer and a red deer.
>>
>> The deer were found in a ditch at the edge of woodland in the Cushnie
>> area near Alford last November. They had been shot with a .22 rifle.
>>
>> Fowlie, of Tough, and Wilson, of Sauchen, admitted shooting the deer
>> and were fined at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.
>>
>> 'Farming backgrounds'
>>
>> The pair claimed they had been out hunting rabbits but fired six
>> bullets into each deer on Fowlie's father's land because they had been
>> eating on the land.
>>
>> Sheriff Alexander Jessop said: "I appreciate that they are both from
>> farming backgrounds and live in the country.
>>
>> "I feel it was committed out of ignorance rather than badness, but you
>> didn't have the right to shoot these deer and by using the weapon you
>> did you might have caused them additional distress because it was not
>> powerful enough."
>>
>> They admitted illegally killing the four deer at the Guise of Tough on
>> 14 November.
>>
>> They also admitted possessing the .22 rifle without a certificate and
>> using the gun and bullets.
>>
>> Story from BBC NEWS:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6972443.stm
>>
>> Published: 2007/08/31 14:42:43 GMT
>>

> I lived 15 miles north of Aberdeen at Oldmeldrum between 81 and 86 and have
> a true story about an accidental dear cull..........
>
> I used to shoot pigeons for the local farmer and while sitting in a hide
> fairly high in a field I watched a pair of roe dear in a field below. They
> were making their way towards me but would have to cross the B947 road which
> separated the fields.
>
> As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right into the
> path of a small white van which knocked it over and no doubt killed it
> outright as it appeared lifeless. The driver carried on for about a 1/2 mile
> but then stopped and turned around. He went back to the dear, jumped out,
> opened the back doors picked up the dear and hauled it in and quickly drove
> away..........oblivious to me watching from a high. A nice meal no doubt for
> the week and no so much a waste I considered.
>
> PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they made their
> path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun is unforgivable.

Dr Oh is a talking head. Talking heads don't converse with whole human
beings, they just talk. The very idea of listening is foreign to them.
They don't have ears, or hearts, or brains really, just mouths.

@@^>
2007-09-01 06:32:13 EST
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 10:05:48 GMT, Dutch <no@email.com> wrote:

>Yes Baby wrote:
>> "Dr L Oh" <drloh@meded.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>> Deer shooting pair fined by court
>>>
>>> Two young men have been fined for shooting four deer with an illegally
>>> held rifle in Aberdeenshire.
>>> Lloyd Fowlie, 19, was fined £750 and Steven Wilson, 23, was fined £500
>>> for shooting three roe deer and a red deer.
>>>
>>> The deer were found in a ditch at the edge of woodland in the Cushnie
>>> area near Alford last November. They had been shot with a .22 rifle.
>>>
>>> Fowlie, of Tough, and Wilson, of Sauchen, admitted shooting the deer
>>> and were fined at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.
>>>
>>> 'Farming backgrounds'
>>>
>>> The pair claimed they had been out hunting rabbits but fired six
>>> bullets into each deer on Fowlie's father's land because they had been
>>> eating on the land.
>>>
>>> Sheriff Alexander Jessop said: "I appreciate that they are both from
>>> farming backgrounds and live in the country.
>>>
>>> "I feel it was committed out of ignorance rather than badness, but you
>>> didn't have the right to shoot these deer and by using the weapon you
>>> did you might have caused them additional distress because it was not
>>> powerful enough."
>>>
>>> They admitted illegally killing the four deer at the Guise of Tough on
>>> 14 November.
>>>
>>> They also admitted possessing the .22 rifle without a certificate and
>>> using the gun and bullets.
>>>
>>> Story from BBC NEWS:
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6972443.stm
>>>
>>> Published: 2007/08/31 14:42:43 GMT
>>>

>> I lived 15 miles north of Aberdeen at Oldmeldrum between 81 and 86 and have
>> a true story about an accidental dear cull..........
>>
>> I used to shoot pigeons for the local farmer and while sitting in a hide
>> fairly high in a field I watched a pair of roe dear in a field below. They
>> were making their way towards me but would have to cross the B947 road which
>> separated the fields.
>>
>> As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right into the
>> path of a small white van which knocked it over and no doubt killed it
>> outright as it appeared lifeless. The driver carried on for about a 1/2 mile
>> but then stopped and turned around. He went back to the dear, jumped out,
>> opened the back doors picked up the dear and hauled it in and quickly drove
>> away..........oblivious to me watching from a high. A nice meal no doubt for
>> the week and no so much a waste I considered.
>>
>> PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they made their
>> path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun is unforgivable.
>
>Dr Oh is a talking head. Talking heads don't converse with whole human
>beings, they just talk. The very idea of listening is foreign to them.
>They don't have ears, or hearts, or brains really, just mouths.

Bit like you then Jonny? Or did you just expect us to listen!
--

Hansom <0>++<0>

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

@@^>
2007-09-01 06:33:13 EST
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:56:18 +0100, "Yes Baby"
<*8@never2latebtinternet.com> wrote:

>"Dr L Oh" <drloh@meded.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Deer shooting pair fined by court
>>
>> Two young men have been fined for shooting four deer with an illegally
>> held rifle in Aberdeenshire.
>> Lloyd Fowlie, 19, was fined £750 and Steven Wilson, 23, was fined £500
>> for shooting three roe deer and a red deer.
>>
>> The deer were found in a ditch at the edge of woodland in the Cushnie
>> area near Alford last November. They had been shot with a .22 rifle.
>>
>> Fowlie, of Tough, and Wilson, of Sauchen, admitted shooting the deer
>> and were fined at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.
>>
>> 'Farming backgrounds'
>>
>> The pair claimed they had been out hunting rabbits but fired six
>> bullets into each deer on Fowlie's father's land because they had been
>> eating on the land.
>>
>> Sheriff Alexander Jessop said: "I appreciate that they are both from
>> farming backgrounds and live in the country.
>>
>> "I feel it was committed out of ignorance rather than badness, but you
>> didn't have the right to shoot these deer and by using the weapon you
>> did you might have caused them additional distress because it was not
>> powerful enough."
>>
>> They admitted illegally killing the four deer at the Guise of Tough on
>> 14 November.
>>
>> They also admitted possessing the .22 rifle without a certificate and
>> using the gun and bullets.
>>
>> Story from BBC NEWS:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6972443.stm
>>
>> Published: 2007/08/31 14:42:43 GMT
>>

>I lived 15 miles north of Aberdeen at Oldmeldrum between 81 and 86 and have
>a true story about an accidental dear cull..........
>
>I used to shoot pigeons for the local farmer and while sitting in a hide
>fairly high in a field I watched a pair of roe dear in a field below. They
>were making their way towards me but would have to cross the B947 road which
>separated the fields.
>
>As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right into the
>path of a small white van which knocked it over and no doubt killed it
>outright as it appeared lifeless. The driver carried on for about a 1/2 mile
>but then stopped and turned around. He went back to the dear, jumped out,
>opened the back doors picked up the dear and hauled it in and quickly drove
>away..........oblivious to me watching from a high. A nice meal no doubt for
>the week and no so much a waste I considered.
>
>PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they made their
>path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun is unforgivable.

I don't see how killing pigeon is more acceptable!
--

[...]

2007-09-01 09:17:40 EST

"@@^>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> self-esteem;
>
> We have abused power and called it political savvy;
>
> We have coveted our neighbour's possessions and called it ambition;
>
> We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it
> freedom of expression;
>
> We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called
> it enlightenment.
>
> Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be
> some wicked way in us;
> cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and
> women who have
> been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You,
> to govern this great state.
>
> Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the
> centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour,

do you eat peas, cabbage, barley, corn etc............I suspect you might do
along with millions of others. Well you get them after the pigeons have had
their feed on them but you don't know it..............a flock of 5 to 10
thousand can not only wipe out a crop but also drop much shit on it.

not all are shot but the regular shooting of a few keeps the others from
landing...........its not all about mass killing.

Geoff Miller
2007-09-01 11:04:09 EST

Yes Baby <2468@never2latebtinternet.com> writes:

> As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right
> into the path of a small white van which knocked it over and no
> doubt killed it outright as it appeared lifeless.

I live in a mountainous, rural area -- in the Santa Cruz Mountains
of the San Francisco Bay Area. Every autumn during rutting season
the bucks will turn suicidal, going out of their way to throw them-
selves in front of cars. My car was totalled that way last September,
in fact; a buck ran out on front of me as I was accelerating onto the
freeway at 4:00 one morning. As I was doing about 50 miles per hour
at the time, I was fortunate not to have been injured.

A few weeks previously, another buck actually ran the length of a
long driveway in order to throw himself in front of my car. Had
he stayed where he was, back in the shadows, I'd never even have
known he was there.

I've only oberved this behavior during rutting season, so I gather
it's hormone driven. Does it serve some biological purpose, maybe
a self-culling of the herd in anticipation of scarce food supplies
during winter? Or are the bucks just crazed with horniness?

> PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they
> made their path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun
> is unforgivable.

I wouldn't shoot one, either. But after living in the mountains for
nearly a decade, my attitude toward them isn't nearly as romantic as
that of the typical suburbanite. Deer are the dumb blondes of the
animal world: pretty but stupid.

Geoff

--
"To liberals, building a wall across the Mexican border
is a violation of the Voting Rights Act." -- Ann Coulter

Geoff Miller
2007-09-01 11:08:02 EST

@@^> <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> writes:

> I don't see how killing pigeon is more acceptable!

Pigeons are just birds. They're a commodity. Deer, being
mammals, are a higher form of life. It's natural for a
human being to have an easier time relating to a fellow
mammal than to what is essentially a winged rat.

Geoff

--
"To liberals, building a wall across the Mexican border
is a violation of the Voting Rights Act." -- Ann Coulter

@@^>
2007-09-01 11:41:10 EST
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 14:17:40 +0100, "Yes Baby"
<*8@never2latebtinternet.com> wrote:

>"@@^>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:56:18 +0100, "Yes Baby"
>> <2468@never2latebtinternet.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Dr L Oh" <drloh@meded.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>>I lived 15 miles north of Aberdeen at Oldmeldrum between 81 and 86 and
>>>have
>>>a true story about an accidental dear cull..........
>>>
>>>I used to shoot pigeons for the local farmer and while sitting in a hide
>>>fairly high in a field I watched a pair of roe dear in a field below. They
>>>were making their way towards me but would have to cross the B947 road
>>>which
>>>separated the fields.
>>>
>>>As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right into the
>>>path of a small white van which knocked it over and no doubt killed it
>>>outright as it appeared lifeless. The driver carried on for about a 1/2
>>>mile
>>>but then stopped and turned around. He went back to the dear, jumped out,
>>>opened the back doors picked up the dear and hauled it in and quickly
>>>drove
>>>away..........oblivious to me watching from a high. A nice meal no doubt
>>>for
>>>the week and no so much a waste I considered.
>>>
>>>PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they made
>>>their
>>>path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun is unforgivable.
>>>

>> I don't see how killing pigeon is more acceptable!

>do you eat peas, cabbage, barley, corn etc..

Yes.

>..........I suspect you might do
>along with millions of others. Well you get them after the pigeons have had
>their feed on them but you don't know it

I am happy to share my food with nature, as nature is with us. We have
no exclusive right to the produce that nature provides. If you don't
like sharing then get another job.

Many farmers have no problem sharing their crops with wildlife.

>..............a flock of 5 to 10 thousand

No such thing!

>can not only wipe out a crop

It's funny how the bullshitters often make that claim, yet real
farmers never do. Yes the odd corner of a field might be eaten by
wildlife, but so what that's what life is about. Decent farmers allow
for that in sowing, as do gardeners.

> but also drop much shit on it.

Much safer then the toxic chemicals many farmers dump on the crops.

>not all are shot but the regular shooting of a few keeps the others from
>landing...........its not all about mass killing.

I fear it's about a select few weirdo's who get their kicks killing
things that don't fight back. If you like shooting so much why not go
over to Iraq, you get all the fun you want over there!

--

[...]

2007-09-01 11:44:10 EST
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:04:09 -0000, geoffm@lava.net (Geoff Miller)
wrote:

>Yes Baby <2468@never2latebtinternet.com> writes:
>
>> As they reached the road the leading dear jumped the fence, right
>> into the path of a small white van which knocked it over and no
>> doubt killed it outright as it appeared lifeless.
>

>I live in a mountainous, rural area -- in the Santa Cruz Mountains
>of the San Francisco Bay Area. Every autumn during rutting season
>the bucks will turn suicidal, going out of their way to throw them-
>selves in front of cars. My car was totalled that way last September,
>in fact; a buck ran out on front of me as I was accelerating onto the
>freeway at 4:00 one morning. As I was doing about 50 miles per hour
>at the time, I was fortunate not to have been injured.

That's life if you live in an area with wildlife. If you don't like it
move to NY, I guarantee no deer to run into there.

>A few weeks previously, another buck actually ran the length of a
>long driveway in order to throw himself in front of my car. Had
>he stayed where he was, back in the shadows, I'd never even have
>known he was there.
>
>I've only oberved this behavior during rutting season, so I gather
>it's hormone driven. Does it serve some biological purpose, maybe
>a self-culling of the herd in anticipation of scarce food supplies
>during winter? Or are the bucks just crazed with horniness?

Like us, it's what they do, hardly a crime..

>> PS, I had no intention of shooting such wonderful beasts had they
>> made their path successfully. To shoot one with a small gauge gun
>> is unforgivable.
>
>I wouldn't shoot one, either. But after living in the mountains for
>nearly a decade, my attitude toward them isn't nearly as romantic as
>that of the typical suburbanite. Deer are the dumb blondes of the
>animal world: pretty but stupid.

Since when has being dumb been a crime? If that were the case we'd be
culling the pro hunt nuts all day long.