Vegetarian Discussion: House Sparrow, Cuckoo And Starling Now Threatened Species. Where Are The CONservation Hooligans When You Need Them?

House Sparrow, Cuckoo And Starling Now Threatened Species. Where Are The CONservation Hooligans When You Need Them?

Gloria
2007-08-28 03:09:19 EST
We donate millions to charities in the name of conservation. Pay
millions more in taxes and grants, yet whilst the fat cat charities
get bigger, the conservation issues get more serious. That's
CONservation hooliganism for you.

Ask the RSPB or your local charity just how much they have spent
trying to halt the decline in species like sparrow and cuckoo. Then
ask them how much they have spent on wages and goodies for themselves?

House sparrow, cuckoo and starling now threatened species
By Charles Clover, Environment Editor
Last Updated: 2:01pm BST 27/08/2007

http://tinyurl.com/ywbkfv

The house sparrow, the starling and the cuckoo have been included for
the first time in the official list of declining and threatened
species requiring conservation action.

The reason for the sparrow's decline remains a mystery
The grass snake, the hedgehog, Atlantic salmon, the European eel and
the garden tiger moth are also included in the official list for the
first time. They join species already listed for conservation action
including the skylark, otter, bottlenose dolphin and black grouse.

The new additions are the result of the most comprehensive review for
a decade by scientists which has almost doubled the number of native
species on Britain's Biodiversity Action Plan.

The list, published by the Department for the Environment, Food and
Rural Affairs now contains 1149 species and 65 habitats, compared with
577 species and 49 habitats ten years ago.

Habitats included as conservation priorities for the first time
include traditional orchards and ponds.

Both house sparrow and starling have been because their populations
have declined by more than half over the past 25 years.

The reason for the sparrow's decline remains a mystery but it appears
to be to do with a shortage of insects in summer. The starling's
decline is associated with the loss of old meadows.

Both birds were already on the Red List of threatened species and this
drove the need for them to both have species action plans of their
own.

advertisementOther additions to the Biodiversity Action Plan list
include the cuckoo and yellow wagtail, both in decline because of some
factor in their long-distance migration. The lesser-spotted woodpecker
also makes it on to the list for the first time.

Some species, such as the bluefin tuna and deep water sharks, are
newly included because they are facing a rapidly increased threat or
decline.

Some 123 species from the original list of 577 have been removed from
the list, some for technical reasons but others, such as the Adonis
blue butterfly, because conservation action has been taken and targets
have been met.

The pipistrelle bat has been removed because its population is stable
and the Large Copper butterfly because it is extinct.

Joan Ruddock, minister for biodiversity, said: "Conserving
biodiversity is essential if we are to pass on a healthy environment
to the next generation.

"The new list will help us to target our resources and efforts where
they are needed, and demonstrates our commitment to publish new
priorities, targets and plans for halting biodiversity loss by 2010."

There have been notable successes that can be attributed to the action
plan system, such as the increased population of the cirl bunting,
ladybird spider and ladybird slipper orchid. Targets for cereal field
margins have been exceeded and areas of lowland heath and yew woodland
have increased.

However, as Mark Avery of the Royal Society for the Protection of
Birds pointed out that the bird list alone now includes a fifth of all
Britain's regularly occurring birds and it will be a struggle to
comply with Britain's international commitment, entered into in 2002,
of halting the loss of biodiversity by 2010.

Among the most challenging declines to arrest will be those species
threatened by climate change or over-fishing since the EU's Common
Fisheries Policy at present has few recovery plans worth the name for
endangered species.

Pearl
2007-08-28 15:51:58 EST
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:09:19 +0100, Gloria
<*s@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>We donate millions to charities in the name of conservation. Pay
>millions more in taxes and grants, yet whilst the fat cat charities
>get bigger, the conservation issues get more serious. That's
>CONservation hooliganism for you.
>
>Ask the RSPB or your local charity just how much they have spent
>trying to halt the decline in species like sparrow and cuckoo. Then
>ask them how much they have spent on wages and goodies for themselves?

They wont be getting my dosh any more.

> [...]
>
>There have been notable successes that can be attributed to the action
>plan system, such as the increased population of the cirl bunting,
>ladybird spider and ladybird slipper orchid. Targets for cereal field
>margins have been exceeded and areas of lowland heath and yew woodland
>have increased.
>
>However, as Mark Avery of the Royal Society for the Protection of
>Birds pointed out that the bird list alone now includes a fifth of all
>Britain's regularly occurring birds and it will be a struggle to
>comply with Britain's international commitment, entered into in 2002,
>of halting the loss of biodiversity by 2010.
>
>Among the most challenging declines to arrest will be those species
>threatened by climate change or over-fishing since the EU's Common
>Fisheries Policy at present has few recovery plans worth the name for

Drontal
2007-08-28 19:40:15 EST
that's not pearlsinger@hotmail.com

is it?

p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com

"Pearl" <pearlsinger@%%%mail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>>There have been notable successes that can be attributed to the action
>>plan system, such as the increased population of the cirl bunting,
>>ladybird spider and ladybird slipper orchid. Targets for cereal field
>>margins have been exceeded and areas of lowland heath and yew woodland
>>have increased.
>>
>>However, as Mark Avery of the Royal Society for the Protection of
>>Birds pointed out that the bird list alone now includes a fifth of all
>>Britain's regularly occurring birds and it will be a struggle to
>>comply with Britain's international commitment, entered into in 2002,
>>of halting the loss of biodiversity by 2010.
>>
>>Among the most challenging declines to arrest will be those species
>>threatened by climate change or over-fishing since the EU's Common
>>Fisheries Policy at present has few recovery plans worth the name for

NikV
2007-08-29 02:57:21 EST

"drontal" <noway@jose.co.uk> wrote in message
> that's not pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>
> is it?
>
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com

are you sure

p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com
p*r@hotmail.com

Pearl
2007-08-29 04:15:08 EST
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:40:15 +0100, "drontal" <noway@jose.co.uk>
wrote:

>that's not pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>
>is it?
>
>*r@hotmail.com
>*r@hotmail.com
>*r@hotmail.com
>*r@hotmail.com
>*r@hotmail.com

No. Loser!

> [...]
>>>
>>>There have been notable successes that can be attributed to the action
>>>plan system, such as the increased population of the cirl bunting,
>>>ladybird spider and ladybird slipper orchid. Targets for cereal field
>>>margins have been exceeded and areas of lowland heath and yew woodland
>>>have increased.
>>>
>>>However, as Mark Avery of the Royal Society for the Protection of
>>>Birds pointed out that the bird list alone now includes a fifth of all
>>>Britain's regularly occurring birds and it will be a struggle to
>>>comply with Britain's international commitment, entered into in 2002,
>>>of halting the loss of biodiversity by 2010.
>>>
>>>Among the most challenging declines to arrest will be those species
>>>threatened by climate change or over-fishing since the EU's Common
>>>Fisheries Policy at present has few recovery plans worth the name for

Pearl
2007-08-29 04:22:34 EST
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:57:21 +0100, "NikV" <nk@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"drontal" <noway@jose.co.uk> wrote in message
>> that's not pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>
>> is it?
>>
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>

>are you sure
>
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
> pearlsinger@hotmail.com

No, but what it is

N*V@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
l*r@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
t*t@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
d*k@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
b*k@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
l*n@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk

Some you win, some you lose.

NikV
2007-08-30 02:32:51 EST

>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>>

>>are you sure
>>
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>

> No, but what it is
>
> NiKV@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> loser@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> tit@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> dick@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> buttock@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> lemon@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>
> Some you win, some you lose.

and this one you lost :-()

Ageless
2007-08-30 02:38:04 EST

"Pearl" <pearlsinger@%%%mail.com> wrote in message

>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>>

>>are you sure
>>
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>

> No, but what it is
>
> NiKV@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> loser@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> tit@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> dick@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> buttock@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
> lemon@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>
> Some you win, some you lose.

oops looks like the wrong ISP - easy mistake to make - not

<0><0>
2007-08-30 02:59:38 EST

>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>> pearlsinger@hotmail.com
>>>

>> No, but what it is
>>
>> NiKV@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>> loser@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>> tit@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>> dick@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>> buttock@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>> lemon@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>
>> Some you win, some you lose.
>>
>> --
>>

>oops looks like the wrong ISP - easy mistake to make - not

It's one of his many ISP's, but the most important to him.
--

Hansom <0>++<0>

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

NikV
2007-08-30 03:17:18 EST

"<0><0>" <SloaneRanger@devnull.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 06:38:04 GMT, "Ageless" <notvalid@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Pearl" <pearlsinger@%%%mail.com> wrote in message

>>> No, but what it is
>>>
>>> NiKV@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>> loser@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>> tit@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>> dick@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>> buttock@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>> lemon@npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk
>>>
>>> Some you win, some you lose.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>oops looks like the wrong ISP - easy mistake to make - not
>>

> It's one of his many ISP's, but the most important to him.
> --

ha ha two years ago maybe ... as ageless says - easy mistake to make - NOT