Vegetarian Discussion: PETITION US CONGRESS: The War Must End: A Million Iraqis Have Been Killed

PETITION US CONGRESS: The War Must End: A Million Iraqis Have Been Killed

Möbius_Pretzel?=
2007-08-27 23:19:53 EST
Dear Friends,

As of July 2006, a scientific study led by researchers at Johns
Hopkins found that 650,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the U.S.-led
invasion. Unfortunately, the death toll has continued to mount since
then.

It is likely that about ONE MILLION IRAQIS HAVE BEEN KILLED, according
to an updated estimate from the organization Just Foreign Policy.
That's more than were killed in the Rwandan genocide and far more than
were killed under Saddam.

And 4 million Iraqis are now refugees...all because of War Criminal
Bush's genocide and torture for oil.

You can find more information, a frequently updated counter of Iraqi
deaths, and a petition to Congress urging them to end this war here:

SIGN PETITION TO US CONGRESS NOW!
Then PASS It ON!!!

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/justforeignpolicy.org/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=668

----

(No WMDs Yet...)

Gloria
2007-08-28 03:25:49 EST
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:19:53 -0700, Möbius Pretzel
<M0bius_r_Pretzel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>
>As of July 2006, a scientific study led by researchers at Johns
>Hopkins found that 650,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the U.S.-led
>invasion. Unfortunately, the death toll has continued to mount since
>then.

They have died at the hands of the terrorists. If we, the allies were
to pull out and stop defending Iraq against terrorism the slaughter
would be tenfold.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS in the fight for freedom for all.

Life under SODDOM!

Life Under Saddam Hussein
Past Repression and Atrocities by Saddam Hussein's Regime

Life Under
Saddam Hussein

Escaping from Iraq

A Brutal Regime

For over 20 years, the greatest threat to Iraqis has been Saddam
Hussein's regime -- he has killed, tortured, raped and terrorized the
Iraqi people and his neighbors for over two decades.

When Iraq is free, past crimes against humanity and war crimes
committed against Iraqis, will be accounted for, in a post-conflict
Iraqi-led process. The United States, members of the coalition and
international community will work with the Iraqi people to build a
strong and credible judicial process to address these abuses.

Under Saddam's regime many hundreds of thousands of people have died
as a result of his actions - the vast majority of them Muslims.

According to a 2001 Amnesty International report, "victims of torture
in Iraq are subjected to a wide range of forms of torture, including
the gouging out of eyes, severe beatings and electric shocks... some
victims have died as a result and many have been left with permanent
physical and psychological damage."

Saddam has had approximately 40 of his own relatives murdered.

Allegations of prostitution used to intimidate opponents of the
regime, have been used by the regime to justify the barbaric beheading
of women.

Documented chemical attacks by the regime, from 1983 to 1988, resulted
in some 30,000 Iraqi and Iranian deaths.

Human Rights Watch estimates that Saddam's 1987-1988 campaign of
terror against the Kurds killed at least 50,000 and possibly as many
as 100,000 Kurds. o The Iraqi regime used chemical agents to include
mustard gas and nerve agents in attacks against at least 40 Kurdish
villages between 1987-1988. The largest was the attack on Halabja
which resulted in approximately 5,000 deaths. o 2,000 Kurdish villages
were destroyed during the campaign of terror.

Iraq's 13 million Shi'a Muslims, the majority of Iraq's population of
approximately 22 million, face severe restrictions on their religious
practice, including a ban on communal Friday prayer, and restriction
on funeral processions.

According to Human Rights Watch, "senior Arab diplomats told the
London-based Arabic daily newspaper al-Hayat in October [1991] that
Iraqi leaders were privately acknowledging that 250,000 people were
killed during the uprisings, with most of the casualties in the
south." Refugees International reports that the "Oppressive government
policies have led to the internal displacement of 900,000 Iraqis,
primarily Kurds who have fled to the north to escape Saddam Hussein's
Arabization campaigns (which involve forcing Kurds to renounce their
Kurdish identity or lose their property) and Marsh Arabs, who fled the
government's campaign to dry up the southern marshes for agricultural
use. More than 200,000 Iraqis continue to live as refugees in Iran."

The U.S. Committee for Refugees, in 2002, estimated that nearly
100,000 Kurds, Assyrians and Turkomans had previously been expelled,
by the regime, from the "central-government-controlled Kirkuk and
surrounding districts in the oil-rich region bordering the Kurdish
controlled north."

"Over the past five years, 400,000 Iraqi children under the age of
five died of malnutrition and disease, preventively, but died because
of the nature of the regime under which they are living." (Prime
Minister Tony Blair, March 27, 2003) o Under the oil-for-food program,
the international community sought to make available to the Iraqi
people adequate supplies of food and medicine, but the regime blocked
sufficient access for international workers to ensure proper
distribution of these supplies. o Since the beginning of Operation
Iraqi Freedom, coalition forces have discovered military warehouses
filled with food supplies meant for the Iraqi people that had been
diverted by Iraqi military forces.

The Iraqi regime has repeatedly refused visits by human rights
monitors. From 1992 until 2002, Saddam prevented the UN Special
Rapporteur from visiting Iraq.

The UN Special Rapporteur's September 2001, report criticized the
regime for "the sheer number of executions," the number of
"extrajudicial executions on political grounds," and "the absence of a
due process of the law."

Executions: Saddam Hussein's regime has carried out frequent summary
executions, including: o 4,000 prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison in 1984
o 3,000 prisoners at the Mahjar prison from 1993-1998 o 2,500
prisoners were executed between 1997-1999 in a "prison cleansing
campaign" o 122 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison
in February/March 2000 o 23 political prisoners were executed at Abu
Ghraib prison in October 2001 o At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded
between June 2000 and April 2001

D*@.
2007-08-28 14:02:29 EST
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:19:53 -0700, Möbius Pretzel <M0bius_r_Pretzel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dear Friends,
>
>As of July 2006, a scientific study led by researchers at Johns
>Hopkins found that 650,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the U.S.-led
>invasion. Unfortunately, the death toll has continued to mount since
>then.
>
>It is likely that about ONE MILLION IRAQIS HAVE BEEN KILLED, according
>to an updated estimate from the organization Just Foreign Policy.
>That's more than were killed in the Rwandan genocide and far more than
>were killed under Saddam.
>
>And 4 million Iraqis are now refugees...all because of War Criminal
>Bush's genocide and torture for oil.
>
>You can find more information, a frequently updated counter of Iraqi
>deaths, and a petition to Congress urging them to end this war here:

Why not encourage them to take it over completely as US
property instead? After all, that's what you do in war. Then all
the Iraqis who came over here to be in the US, can GO BACK!

Polarhound
2007-08-31 17:29:07 EST
Möbius Pretzel wrote:
> Dear Friends,

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports
show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and
biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his
nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to
terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no
evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11,
2001.

It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will
continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical
warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he
succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security
landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects
American security." -Hillary Clinton, October 2002

P. Roehling
2007-08-31 17:47:58 EST

"Polarhound" <polarhound@comcast.net> wrote

> "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports
> show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and
> biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his
> nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to
> terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no
> evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11,
> 2001.
>
> It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will
> continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical
> warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he
> succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security
> landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects
> American security." -Hillary Clinton, October 2002

Yup.

And since this leaves Obama as the only serious Presidential candidate who
was against the war from the very beginning, I assume you'll be voting for
him?

Polarhound
2007-08-31 18:53:11 EST
P. Roehling wrote:
> "Polarhound" <polarhound@comcast.net> wrote
>
>> "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports
>> show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and
>> biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his
>> nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to
>> terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no
>> evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11,
>> 2001.
>>
>> It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will
>> continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical
>> warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he
>> succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security
>> landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects
>> American security." -Hillary Clinton, October 2002
>
> Yup.
>
> And since this leaves Obama as the only serious Presidential candidate who
> was against the war from the very beginning, I assume you'll be voting for
> him?

Sorry, I don't vote for people who vote to allow doctors to kill living
babies born after botched abortions.

P. Roehling
2007-08-31 19:57:15 EST

"Polarhound" <polarhound@comcast.net> wrote

> Sorry, I don't vote for people who vote to allow doctors to kill living
> babies born after botched abortions.

Looks like you'll be losing, then.

Polarhound
2007-08-31 22:21:59 EST
P. Roehling wrote:
> "Polarhound" <polarhound@comcast.net> wrote
>
>> Sorry, I don't vote for people who vote to allow doctors to kill living
>> babies born after botched abortions.
>
> Looks like you'll be losing, then.

Since you didn't decry his position, we can only assume that you support
killing babies post-birth as well.

Alan Moore
2007-09-01 14:52:31 EST
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:29:07 -0400, Polarhound
<*d@comcast.net> wrote:

>Möbius Pretzel wrote:
>> Dear Friends,
>
>"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports
>show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and
>biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his
>nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to
>terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no
>evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11,
>2001.
>
>It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will
>continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical
>warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he
>succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security
>landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects
>American security." -Hillary Clinton, October 2002

Note the words "If left unchecked" in your quote above. Who planned
to leave Saddam unchecked in this regard? Nobody I know!

Al Moore
DoD 734