Vegetarian Discussion: Terrorists Attack Home In Oregon

Terrorists Attack Home In Oregon

~ Paul Berg ~
2007-08-02 11:09:51 EST
~

News article from The (Portland) Oregonian - August 2, 2007

Animal-rights protesters have harassed primate researcher Eliot Spindel
for years, sometimes demonstrating noisily outside his Lake Oswego
(Oregon) home.

Now the Animal Liberation Front, an underground group characterized by
the FBI as a leading domestic terrorist organization, apparently has
drawn a bead on Spindel's domicile.

A contractor on Tuesday discovered graffiti spray-painted on the garage
door of Spindel's house that read, "ALF eyes on you!" His daughter's car
was covered with white foam.

Spindel said he and his family were not at home at the time of the
vandalism.

Groups of protesters have demonstrated outside Oregon Health & Science
University for years, even showing up at the homes of more than a dozen
researchers. But the protests took a turn last April, when masked
activists demonstrating at the campus carried signs reading "A.L.F.
welcome here" and "ALF vs. OHSU coming summer 2007."

Spindel, a 55-year-old senior scientist at the Oregon National Primate
Research Center, said he uses mice, monkeys and cultured cells to study
ways to block the effects of nicotine and smoking on unborn children.

"There's still a half a million mothers a year who smoke while
pregnant," he said. That behavior, he added, "doubles the chances of
children getting asthma. . . . It increases Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
and pneumonia. So we're trying to block some of those effects on
children."

The Animal Liberation Front typically channels anonymous claims of
responsibility for its crimes to the North American Animal Liberation
Press Office. But a Los Angeles-based spokesman for the group, Dr. Jerry
Vlasak, said he had not received such a claim.

Vlasak said that monkeys have been shown to be poor models for research
on smoking and that money could be put to better use helping women avoid
or quit the habit.

"I really don't think there's any need to be killing monkeys," said
Vlasak, "to help mothers understand the ill effects of smoking on their
fetuses."

~

Gattman
2007-08-02 13:02:11 EST

"~ Paul Berg ~" <pjberg@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Now the Animal Liberation Front, an underground group characterized by
> the FBI as a leading domestic terrorist organization, apparently has
> drawn a bead on Spindel's domicile.
>
> A contractor on Tuesday discovered graffiti spray-painted on the garage
> door of Spindel's house that read, "ALF eyes on you!" His daughter's car
> was covered with white foam.

Normally, I argue that there's a ocean of difference between vandalism and
terrorism (we've been discussing the latter, for perspective), but this
appears to be an actual threat. Who knows... maybe there's a vacancy at
Gitmo.

-c

D*@.
2007-08-02 16:49:00 EST
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:02:11 -0700, "Gattman" <gatt@damnnearwiley00.com> wrote:

>"~ Paul Berg ~" <pjberg@webtv.net> wrote in message
>
>> Now the Animal Liberation Front, an underground group characterized by
>> the FBI as a leading domestic terrorist organization, apparently has
>> drawn a bead on Spindel's domicile.
>>
>> A contractor on Tuesday discovered graffiti spray-painted on the garage
>> door of Spindel's house that read, "ALF eyes on you!" His daughter's car
>> was covered with white foam.
>

>Normally, I argue that there's a ocean of difference between vandalism and
>terrorism (we've been discussing the latter, for perspective), but this
>appears to be an actual threat.

April 4, 2005 Burton, UK:
In letters to the media, a group calling itself the Animal Rights Militia
offered to return “one-sixth” of the remains of the 82 year old
mother-in-law of a part-owner of Darley Oakes Farm, which raises guinea
pigs for biomedical research. The woman’s body was stolen from her grave
in October. . .

February 19, 2005 Chino Hills, CA:
Animal rights activists vandalized the home of the chief veterinarian for the
city of Los Angeles. They threw rocks through windows, and left behind fliers
with the veterinarian’s photo, accusing her of animal cruelty. ALF is
suspected in this incident as well as prior threats against the veterinarian
and other employees of the LA City Animal Shelter.

January 12, 2005 Auburn, CA:
Five incendiary devices were found in an office building under construction.
Devices of the same type were discovered in an upscale subdivision in near-by
Lincoln on December 27. Official stated the firebombs were capable of extensive
damage. Graffiti found on the Lincoln homes included “U will pay” and “Enjoy the
world as it is - as long as you can.” In a letter sent to the Auburn Journal on
January 18, ELF claimed responsibility, and warned of more terrorist attempts to
come - "We are setting a new precedent, where there will be at least one or more
actions every few weeks," it read. The Joint Terrorism Task Force is investigating.

September 5, 2004: East Peckham, England: Animal Rights activists vowed
to launch ten "terror attacks" a night across Britain. An ALF spokesman at
a "training camp" for AR activists to learn "direct action" said "Ten attacks
a night would be an absolute minimum "Think of the number of butcher
shops: at least a couple of windows are already being broken every night
and then you have people spraying graffiti on cars to those targeting
employees of Huntingdon Life Sciences." There have been reports of at
least six serious incidents in the last ten days, including attacks on cars
and other property of people connection with GlaxoSmithKline, HLS, and
a farm raising guinea pigs for research.

August 11, 2002:
Arson by the ELF caused $700,000 worth of damage at a Forest Service lab
in Irvine, PA, and destroyed 70 years of research focused on maintaining a
healthy forest ecosystem. An e-mail from Elf's office said "While innocent
life will never be harmed in any action we undertake, where it is necessary,
we will no longer hesitate to pick up the gun to implement justice, and
provide the needed protection for our planet that decades of legal battles,
pleading protest, and economic sabotage have failed so drastically to
achieve." It further stated that all Forest Service stations were targeted,
and, if rebuilt, the Pennsylvania station would be targeted for complete
destruction.

September 21, 2001 UK:
Ashley Broadley Glynn Harding, the mail bomber
who sent 15 letter bombs to animal-related businesses and individuals over
a three-month period last winter, was sentenced to indefinite detention in
mental hospital. Additional court ordered restrictions mean that Harding will
not be released until the Home Secretary is satisfied that he poses no risk to
the public. The bomber's mail terror campaign injured two adults and one
child, one woman lost her left eye, the child scarred for life. At trial, evidence
indicated that he had intended to mail as many as 100 letter bombs.

August 16, 2001 UK:
One of the three men who assaulted Brian Cass, managing director of
Huntingdon Life Sciences, at his home, received a sentence of three years in
jail for his part in the attack. David Blenkinsop and two others donned ski
masks and ambushed Cass as he arrived home, bludgeoning him with wooden
staves and pickaxe handles. DNA on the handles and Blenkinsop’s clothing
helped convict him of the offense.

June 12, 2001 MO:
A 30-year-old animal rights activist attacked a
"Survivor" series cast member at a workplace safety promotion, pepper
spraying him in the face and hitting several onlookers, including children, as
well. Police arrested the attacker. Michael Skupin, who lasted six weeks on
"Survivor," attributed the attack to his killing of a pig for food on the series.

May 31, 2001 Canada:
In a raid late this month, Toronto police arrested
two men and put out an appeal for apprehension of a third in connection
with animal cruelty charges stemming from the videotaped skinning of live
animals. The video showed a cat being tortured and killed allegedly by a
self-styled artist and vegan protesting animal cruelty. Anthony Ryan
Wenneker, 24, and Jessie Champlain Powers, 21 were arrested. The raid
turned up a headless, skinned cat in the refrigerator, along with other
animal skeletons, including a dog, some mice and rats, and the videos.
Police are searching for the third person seen in the videos.

May 23, 2001 UK:
Three men, ages 34, 31 and 34, were arrested for the
attack on Brian Cass, Director of Huntingdon Life Sciences. The baseball bat
brandishing attackers split Cass' scalp and bruised him and sprayed a
would-be rescuer with CS gas on February 22, 2001. One of the men was
arrested at an animal sanctuary run by TV script writer Carla Lane.

May 9, 2001 Israel:
Shraga Segal, an immunologist and former dean of the
Ben-Gurion University medical school, resigned his post as chairman of the
government body that supervises research involving animals. Segal received
a faxed death threat and threats of violence against his family.

April 27, 2001 WA:
Governor Gary Locke signed into law this week a
measure that would make it a misdemeanor to knowingly interfere with or
recklessly injure a guide dog, or to allow one's dog to obstruct or intimidate
a guide dog. Repeat offenses could net up to one year in jail and a $5,000
fine. The measure sailed through the legislature in record time after reports
of blind people being harassed by animal rights fanatics, both verbally and
by looking for opportunities to separate the guide dogs from their owners.

April 19, 2001 UK:
In the US District Court for the District of New Jersey,
the US subsidiary of Huntingdon Life Sciences joined in the filing of an
amended complaint against SHAC, Voices for Animals, Animal Defense
League, In Defense of Animals, and certain individuals. The amended filing
asserts claims under the Civil Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization
Statute (RICO) and cited physical attacks on individual employees, death
threats, bomb threats, destruction of property, burglary, harassment and
intimidation; and also asserts claims for interference with contractual
relations and economic advantage. The original plaintiffs in the action were
the Stephens Group and its wholly owned investment-banking subsidiary,
Stephens, Inc.

February 23, 2001 UK:
In a major public escalation of animal rights terrorist violence, the managing
director of Huntingdon Life Sciences was attacked as he arrived home by
three masked goons wielding baseball bats or ax handles. Brian Cass, 53,
bludgeoned with head and body wounds and bruises, including a 3-inch
scalp gash, was saved from further injury by his girl friend's screams and
the aid of two passersby. One of the Good Samaritans chased the
attackers, but was debilitated by CS gas from one of the attackers. Cass,
stitched up and back at work the next day, vowed to continue the work of
HLS, which includes government mandated tests seeking cures for
dementia, diabetes, AIDS, asthma and other diseases. In reaction to the
attack, Ronnie Lee, ALF founder who is no longer with the group, condoned
the attack and expressed surprise that it didn't happen more often,
declaring that Cass got off "lightly." Other animal rights groups publicly
backed off condoning the act, but expressed "understanding" of how it
could occur. In calendar year 2000, 11 Huntingdon employees' cars were
firebombed.

February 21, 2001 UK:
Two men ages 26 and 36, and one 31 year-old woman were arrested in
connection with letter bombing attacks against at least eleven agricultural
businesses. Since December 10, 2000, three bombs were intercepted, but 5
of 10 others exploded, causing serious eye and facial injury to two adults,
and leg wounds to a 6-year old daughter of one of the intended victims.
Authorities considered all of the bombs potentially lethal. The businesses
included pet supply, pest control, farming, agricultural supply, and a
livestock auction agency.

February 13, 2001 Scotland:
A letter bomb was sent to an agricultural entity in the Borders. Army
experts were called out to defuse the bomb.

February 12, 2001 UK:
An agricultural firm in North Yorkshire received a letter bomb which was
defused without incident by army experts.

February 4, 2001 UK:
In an attack near Nantwich, Cheshire Beagles master George Murray, his
wife and five other hunt members were assaulted by masked animal rights
activists. At least five hunt members were injured by the stick- and
whip-wielding attackers. Murray was beaten, kicked in the head and face
and his wife was punched in the face. They were threatened with death as
retribution for the death 10 years ago of hunt saboteur Michael Hill.

January 31, 2001 UK:
A letter bomb exploded in Cumbria in a charity shop owned by the British
Heart Foundation. The woman who opened the package was not injured.

January 30, 2001 UK:
Two nail bombs, sent to an agricultural supplier in Sheffield and a cancer
research campaign shop in Lancashire, were detected and defused by
authorities before being opened by the recipients. Both bomb attacks were
linked to letter bomb mailings that started in mid-December.

January 5, 2001 UK:
Livestock auction estate agents in East Yorkshire are attacked by letter
bomb. One female staff member sustained serious eye injuries from the
explosion.

January 5, 2001 UK:
A farmer in North Yorkshire was injured by nails from an exploding letter
bomb.

December 30, 2000 UK:
A mail bomb sent to a pest control company in Cheshire exploded, injuring
the owner's 6-year old daughter who was helping her father with the mail.
The girl was cut on her legs and feet by shrapnel from the envelope.
Authorities suspect animal rights activists in the bombing.

October 23, 2000 UK:
Two hunt members received death threats and car bombs. Both were on a
publicized list of seven huntsmen considered to be "legitimate targets" by
the Hunt Retribution Squad." All seven had received threatening letters on
September 4, 2000. Amateur whip David Pitfield's van was destroyed by one
bomb in South Nutfield, Surrey. The bomb under a woman hunt member's
vehicle in East Sussex, discovered five hours later, did not detonate and
was removed by army bomb experts. Both bombs were considered lethal.

http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/archives/arterror.htm

D*@.
2007-08-02 16:54:00 EST
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:09:51 -0700, pjberg@webtv.net (~ Paul Berg ~) wrote:

>Spindel, a 55-year-old senior scientist at the Oregon National Primate
>Research Center, said he uses mice, monkeys and cultured cells to study
>ways to block the effects of nicotine and smoking on unborn children.
>
>"There's still a half a million mothers a year who smoke while
>pregnant," he said. That behavior, he added, "doubles the chances of
>children getting asthma. . . . It increases Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
>and pneumonia. So we're trying to block some of those effects on
>children."

DAN MATHEWS, Celebrity Recruiter for PeTA

"We're at war, and we'll do what we need to win."
(USA Today, September 3, 1991)

INGRID NEWKIRK, FOUNDER, PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT
OF ANIMALS (PETA)

"I wish we all would get up and go into the labs and take the animals
out or burn them down."
( National Animal Rights Convention '97, June 27, 1997)

"Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against
it."
(Vogue, September, 1989)

"I know it's illegal [trespassing], but I don't think it's wrong."
(Montgomery County, MD, Journal Feb. 16, 1988)

ALEX PACHECO, CHAIRMAN, PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT
OF ANIMALS (PETA)

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable
crimes' when used for the animal cause."
(Gazette Mail, Charleston, WV, January 15, 1989)

Intersting PeTA facts

When ALF member Roger Troen was convicted of burglary and arson at
the University of Oregon, in which $36,000 in damage was inflicted,
PeTA paid Troen's $27.000 legal fees and his $34,900 fine. Gary
Thorud testified under oath that "we were illegally funding this
individual with money solicited for other causes, and Ingrid was
using that money, bragging to the staff that she had spent $25,000
on the case."
Deposition of Gary Thorud, Berosini v. PeTA, at 49-50.

Rodney Coronado, a member of the Animal Liberation Front, pleaded
guilty and was sentenced to 57 months in prison for the destruction
of an animal diagnostics research lab at the University of California,
Davis in April, 1987 (total damage estimates: $4.5 million). PETA sent
$ 45,200 to Coronado's 'support committee,' which was a sum 15 times
greater than what PETA spent on animal shelters nationwide in all of
that year.

http://altpet.net/petition/arquote.html
[...]
« This manuscript explains the philosophy of a group of individuals
throughout the world who call themselves, ‘Liberators’. They believe
in a revolution to liberate animals and, if necessary, to kill their
oppressors. They say such extreme action is needed to stop the horrible
human caused suffering of animals and the destruction of the world.
They believe that nothing short of a total overthrow of this system
will free our brothers and sisters. Please see that this 'Declaration
of War’ is published for the world to read and understand.
Signed - Screaming Wolf »
[...]
http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Legal/declaration%20of%20war_files/declaration%20of%20war.htm
I believe that this decade will see the first acts of true violence. Some
may be accidental - like a bystander killed in a bomb blast; some will be
deliberate - like a vivesector shot in the street. The violence will
confuse and divide us, but it will be a temporary adjustment and then we
will learn to live with it.
-Victoria Miller, ARKI: Canadian Animal Rights Network, and former
President, Toronto Humane Society
(_Animals_Agenda_)

http://fins.actwin.com/nanf/month.200004/msg00047.html
[...]
In a war that is fought on on all fronts, as
thousands of actions occur every year
around the world there is bound to be
prisoners. Prisoner support is essential and
important aspect of our movement.
[...]
http://www.animalliberation.net/people/
All jailed political prisoners need our help through phone
calls ,letter writing, and faxes. We all must send prisoners
letters and information of different events to keep their
resolve strong (it get's lonely in jail!). Please, if you are not
a regular letter writer, make sure to send these activists mail
every once in a while. They will surely appreciate it.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/veganresist/pow.html
PETA's sympathies for ELF actions were apparent in a recent speech by
PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich.

"I think it would be great if all of the fast-food outlets, slaughterhouses,
these laboratories and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow," he said.

PETA payouts to radicals willing to carry out such crimes include:

-- $5,000 to Josh Harper, who was convicted of assaulting police and firing on
a fishing vessel;

-- $2,000 to Dave Wilson, convicted of firebombing a fur cooperative;

-- $7,500 to Fran Trutt, convicted of attempted murder of a medical executive

http://www.cdfe.org/peta_fox.htm
[...]
The Animal Liberation Front (ALF), which advocates illegal, nonviolent
activism, was responsible for dozens of attacks in North America last
year. It took credit for $750,000 in damage to offices and equipment at
the University of Minnesota, where researchers study Alzheimer's disease
and work on a vaccine against brain cancer. Other targets were the
University of California at San Francisco, where many data, including
work aimed at developing alternatives to animal research, were lost,
and Western Washington University, where three dozen research rats and
rabbits were stolen. ALF proudly stated that it destroyed one
scientist's lifetime of work there.
[...]
http://www.sciam.com/2000/0200issue/0200techbus1.html

Lobby Dosser
2007-08-02 17:42:44 EST
p*g@webtv.net (~ Paul Berg ~) wrote:

> "There's still a half a million mothers a year who smoke while
> pregnant," he said. That behavior, he added, "doubles the chances of
> children getting asthma. . . . It increases Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
> and pneumonia. So we're trying to block some of those effects on
> children."

And propogate more idiots.

Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen
2007-08-02 22:36:51 EST
The kindly Rev. overheard "Gattman" <gatt@damnnearwiley00.com>
saying on Thu 02 Aug 2007 12:02:11p:

> Normally, I argue that there's a ocean of difference between
> vandalism and terrorism (we've been discussing the latter, for
> perspective), but this appears to be an actual threat. Who
> knows... maybe there's a vacancy at Gitmo.

And since the group isn't a bunch of right-wing militia guys, and in
fact is perceived as lefty (which it isn't, though it attracts a few
sympathizers mostly from the left), there's a chance this Republican
Justice Department may actually arrest them!

Snark aside, yeah. Vandalism and threats of violence are crimes, and
the lowlifes who commit them ought to be in jail, the sooner the
better.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
revbob at crispen dot org

Scandinavia\ufffds reign of terror was in trouble when people stopped
building thatched roof houses. It was over when somebody invented the
fire extinguisher. - Robert Michael Crispen

Steven
2007-08-03 01:00:31 EST
Why don't they unleash pit bulls and cougars on them???

Monster under the bed and more BS.

~ Paul Berg ~
2007-08-03 20:50:38 EST
.

News Report from KGW News - August 3, 2007

Eliot Spindel stands in his Lake Oswego driveway---rubbing his garage
with paint thinner.

He's trying to erase the large black letters spray painted there late
Monday night, July 30, 2007.

He's clearly angry.

"Angry at, you know, people trying to impose their will on other people
through intimidation and scare tactics," he said.
The letters read: "ALF Eyes on You".

Grafitti on the Lake Oswego home of an OHSU researcher.

ALF stands for the Animal Liberation Front.

Its web site posted a press release claiming responsibility for the
message and the caustic liquid splashed on Spindel's daughter's car,
which sat in the driveway.

The press release claimed an anonymous group attacked because "his
crimes against nature are particularly vile."

It also issued a warning which read, "Quit the torture industry and
issue an apology or we swear we will make an example out of you."

Spindel says he's worked at the Oregon Health Sciences Primate Center
for 16 years.

He specializes in finding way to counter the affect of nicotine on
unborn children.

They are exposed when their mother's refuse to quit smoking during
pregnancy.

"So, you really have a half million babies per year basically being
poisoned through no choice of their own," he said.

Spindel says it increases the risk of Sudden Infant Death and asthma in
babies.

Spindel estimates 75-80 % of his work is done with cells in culture.

But at some point, he says, the research must be validated with pregnant
monkies and their babies, which are similar to humans.

"No scientist wants to do any thing in an animal unless they have to,"
he said.

"At the same time you can not know if something is going to be safe and
effective until it is used in animals," said Spindel.

The attack at Spindel's home is the most recent in a pattern stretching
back three years.

OHSU spokesman Jim Newman says activists have struck between 40 and 50
times, including on Christmas day.

He says OHSU has decided to go on the offensive, speaking out about the
attacks, and releasing photos and video shot during protests at the the
researchers homes.

"Its time to start telling Oregonians about this," said Newman.

"You know there's people out there that actually may know something
about these crimes and if they do we certainly hope they'd share it with
police," he said.

The Portland FBI confirms an active investigation into the activist
incidents, but no arrests.

In the meantime, neither the activists nor the researcher appear ready
to back down.

Spindel says he will not stop. "I feel my research can find ways to
prevent some of the injury to those children. I think its just too
important to allow extremists to stop that," he said.

And, the ALF web posting warned, "---- what's going to be next, Eliot,
spray paint, broken windows or fire bombs?"

`

~ Paul Berg ~
2007-08-03 21:10:48 EST
`
Photo of ALF message.

`

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
2007-08-03 22:25:48 EST
On Aug 2, 11:09 am, pjb...@webtv.net (~ Paul Berg ~) wrote:
> ~
>
> News article from The (Portland) Oregonian - August 2, 2007
>
> Animal-rights protesters have harassed primate researcher Eliot Spindel
> for years, sometimes demonstrating noisily outside his Lake Oswego
> (Oregon) home.
>
> Now the Animal Liberation Front, an underground group characterized by
> the FBI as a leading domestic terrorist organization, apparently has
> drawn a bead on Spindel's domicile.
>
> A contractor on Tuesday discovered graffiti spray-painted on the garage
> door of Spindel's house that read, "ALF eyes on you!" His daughter's car
> was covered with white foam.
>
> Spindel said he and his family were not at home at the time of the
> vandalism.
>
> Groups of protesters have demonstrated outside Oregon Health & Science
> University for years, even showing up at the homes of more than a dozen
> researchers. But the protests took a turn last April, when masked
> activists demonstrating at the campus carried signs reading "A.L.F.
> welcome here" and "ALF vs. OHSU coming summer 2007."
>
> Spindel, a 55-year-old senior scientist at the Oregon National Primate
> Research Center, said he uses mice, monkeys and cultured cells to study
> ways to block the effects of nicotine and smoking on unborn children.
>
> "There's still a half a million mothers a year who smoke while
> pregnant," he said. That behavior, he added, "doubles the chances of
> children getting asthma. . . . It increases Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
> and pneumonia. So we're trying to block some of those effects on
> children."
>
> The Animal Liberation Front typically channels anonymous claims of
> responsibility for its crimes to the North American Animal Liberation
> Press Office. But a Los Angeles-based spokesman for the group, Dr. Jerry
> Vlasak, said he had not received such a claim.
>
> Vlasak said that monkeys have been shown to be poor models for research
> on smoking and that money could be put to better use helping women avoid
> or quit the habit.
>
> "I really don't think there's any need to be killing monkeys," said
> Vlasak, "to help mothers understand the ill effects of smoking on their
> fetuses."
>
> ~

Vivisection exists because it creates jobs, not because it helps
anyone else.