Dog Discussion: Dog Skin Problems

Dog Skin Problems

Marcus
2004-05-18 07:58:48 EST
Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her ears are the
same, sore and scabby. Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks

Kilikini
2004-05-18 08:45:13 EST
"Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her ears are the
> same, sore and scabby. Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks

Marcus, it could be a myriad of problems from flea allergies, to dust mite
allergies, grass allergies, food allergies. How long has this condition
been going on? Is is fairly recent? If so, how old is your dog? Many
times allergies crop up in a dog around 2 or 2 1/2 years of age. Have you
changed your dog's food lately? If no, then try switching to a high quality
lamb and rice food. Have you checked your dog for any signs of fleas? Many
dogs are allergic to bite of the flea, simple shampoos and flea treatments
will help control the problem.

If your dog is suffering from grass, dust mite, or mold allergies, treatment
can be more difficult. I would start by getting a good medicated seborrhea
shampoo, (not the cheapie $5 hartz stuff either - this can be from $15 to
$25 - follow the directions on the bottle and see if some of the redness in
your dog's skin lightens up.

Your best bet is to take your dog to the vet and have the dog's skin looked
at professionally. It may be a simple case of contact dermatitis.

In the case with my last dog, I tried everything! I tried the shampoos. I
tried the food. I tried cortisone shots, I tried cortisone pills, I tried
thyroid pills, I had his blood tested to see what different allergans he
responded to and gave him therapy shots. I dearly hope that your dog's case
is much simpler!

Good luck,

kili

Caroline
2004-05-18 08:46:02 EST
"Marcus" wrote
> Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her ears are the
> same, sore and scabby. Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks

Asking your vet for advice would be a better starting point ;o)

The Puppy Wizard
2004-05-18 12:59:57 EST
HOWEDY kilikini,

Your dog was SICK on accHOWENT of STRESS.

The SAME STRESS that caused your dog
to bite a guest in your HOWES the other day...

"kilikini" <kilikini1@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her
ears are the
> > same, sore and scabby. Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks
> >

> Marcus, it could be a myriad of problems from flea allergies, to
dust mite
> allergies, grass allergies, food allergies. How long has this
condition
> been going on? Is is fairly recent? If so, how old is your
dog? Many
> times allergies crop up in a dog around 2 or 2 1/2 years of age.
Have you
> changed your dog's food lately? If no, then try switching to a
high quality
> lamb and rice food. Have you checked your dog for any signs of
fleas? Many
> dogs are allergic to bite of the flea, simple shampoos and flea
treatments
> will help control the problem.
>
> If your dog is suffering from grass, dust mite, or mold
allergies, treatment
> can be more difficult. I would start by getting a good
medicated seborrhea
> shampoo, (not the cheapie $5 hartz stuff either - this can be
from $15 to
> $25 - follow the directions on the bottle and see if some of the
redness in
> your dog's skin lightens up.
>
> Your best bet is to take your dog to the vet and have the dog's
skin looked
> at professionally. It may be a simple case of contact
dermatitis.

> In the case with my last dog, I tried everything! I tried the
shampoos. I
> tried the food. I tried cortisone shots, I tried cortisone
pills, I tried
> thyroid pills, I had his blood tested to see what different
allergans he
> responded to and gave him therapy shots. I dearly hope that
your dog's case
> is much simpler!
>
> Good luck,
>
> kili

Sunflower
2004-05-18 16:06:52 EST

"Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her ears are the
> same, sore and scabby. Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks

Sounds lke mange or allergies. Only a vet will be able to tell the
difference after a skin scraping. Only a vet will be able to proscribe the
proper course of treatment for either problem. Only a vet will be able to
do followup scrapings to be sure that the treatment was effective. So, why
aren't you at a vet's alredy?

Ngumba Zuleke
2004-05-18 22:18:19 EST

> "Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her ears are
the
> same, sore and scabby.

hmmmm... sounds like a contact allergy.

take her to the vet.

no point treating the symptons without knowing
the cause as it will only return later.

> Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks

you need to take her to a vet, first to neutralise
the symptoms that are obviously causing her
discomfort, then to establish the source of
the allergen so you can remove it from her
environment..

Marcus
2004-05-19 03:38:12 EST
Been to the vet before a few times and all they did was charge big bucks and
give us some shampoo that never worked. They said once before it was
folliculitus.

Thanks for your help
"Sunflower" <sunflwrNOSPAM@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi, my dog has a redishpink belly with dry, flaky skin, her ears are the
> > same, sore and scabby. Can anyone suggest a treatment? Thanks
> >

> Sounds lke mange or allergies. Only a vet will be able to tell the
> difference after a skin scraping. Only a vet will be able to proscribe
the
> proper course of treatment for either problem. Only a vet will be able to
> do followup scrapings to be sure that the treatment was effective. So,
why
> aren't you at a vet's alredy?

Caroline
2004-05-19 04:50:42 EST
"Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote
> Been to the vet before a few times and all they did was charge big bucks
and
> give us some shampoo that never worked. They said once before it was
> folliculitus.
>
> Thanks for your help

Hi Marcus

There is more than one vet in the UK you know. Insist on a skin scraping,
insist on a skin biopsy if you feel it is required. And remember some good
advice given to me by a brliiant derma vet. With a skin scraping etc, a
postive result is always positive, but a negative is only a maybe...keep
testing the skin until you get a positive.

Your vets advice will still be more valid and informed than some opinions
offered to you by people on usenet who've never seen the problem on your
dog.

If you're not happy with your vet's advice, then go elsewhere. The cost
should not be a factor, the welfare of your dog should be your priority.

Marcus
2004-05-19 11:57:47 EST
>>The cost should not be a factor, the welfare of your dog should be your
priority.<<<

Sadly it is when your wife dies and you have to leave your job and bring up
2 children on the social fund.

Thanks for the help anyway though.

"caroline" <nospamplease@thanxs.com> wrote in message
> "Marcus" <captain_salad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote
> > Been to the vet before a few times and all they did was charge big bucks
> and
> > give us some shampoo that never worked. They said once before it was
> > folliculitus.
> >
> > Thanks for your help
>
> Hi Marcus
>
> There is more than one vet in the UK you know. Insist on a skin scraping,
> insist on a skin biopsy if you feel it is required. And remember some
good
> advice given to me by a brliiant derma vet. With a skin scraping etc, a
> postive result is always positive, but a negative is only a maybe...keep
> testing the skin until you get a positive.
>
> Your vets advice will still be more valid and informed than some opinions
> offered to you by people on usenet who've never seen the problem on your
> dog.
>
> If you're not happy with your vet's advice, then go elsewhere. The cost
> should not be a factor, the welfare of your dog should be your priority.

Ngumba Zuleke
2004-05-20 00:35:53 EST

> >>The cost should not be a factor, the welfare of your dog should be
your
> priority.<<<
>
> Sadly it is when your wife dies and you have to leave your job and
bring up
> 2 children on the social fund.

sorry to hear about your loss...

if you're struggling to look after your dog
i'm sure there are plenty of shelters that
can help...

sure, vets cost money, but you can't keep the
dog in a state of discomfort just because
you're broke.

there's laws against that sort of thing

good luck cap.