Dog Discussion: ROTTWEILER STUD AVAILABLE

ROTTWEILER STUD AVAILABLE

Grady & Karen Bowman
2003-08-06 17:18:03 EST
Rottweiler Stud Available

26 month old male Rottweiler now available for Stud Service:

Name: TROUBLE THORS HAMMER

AKC

O.F.A. HIP CERTIFICATION

4 Generation Certified Pedigree

Inquires Contact:

Karen Bowman

Phone: 770.443.4394

Fax: 775.640.0830

Email: bwman111@bellsouth.net

Color Photos available upon request

Grady & Karen Bowman
2003-08-06 21:20:01 EST
"Krishur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Wow, a 2 y.o. unproven stud. No conformation championship/points, working
> titles, obedience/tracking/agility titles--nothing, nada zip. I guess he
> should be bred cause he's "so cute" and "a really good dog".
>
> Oh wait, hip x-rays were graded by OFA--it must have been really recent
b/c
> his scores are not listed on the OFA site. Any other health checks? What
> about heart tests (SAS and PDA are indicated for Rotties), blood tests
(Von
> wildebrands, brucellosis just to name a few)
>
> http://www.amrottclub.org/choosebrdr.htm

Oh stupid me; I go to all the trouble of finding a good dog, getting it
registered by the AKC, Hips Certified by OFA, medically cleared by a Vet.
When I should have just contacted kris_brock

and asked for your permission. But in all of your pontificating you failed
to mention your qualifications. Since you listed none, there probably isn't
any......Get yourself a life and a good therapist!

> "Grady & Karen Bowman" <bwman111@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Rottweiler Stud Available
> >

> > 26 month old male Rottweiler now available for Stud Service:
> >
> > Name: TROUBLE THORS HAMMER
> >
> > AKC
> >
> > O.F.A. HIP CERTIFICATION
> >
> > 4 Generation Certified Pedigree
> >
> > Inquires Contact:
> >
> > Karen Bowman
> > Phone: 770.443.4394
> > Fax: 775.640.0830
> > Email: bwman111@bellsouth.net
> >
> > Color Photos available upon request

Dianne Marie Schoenberg
2003-08-07 19:44:08 EST
Krishur <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Oh wait, hip x-rays were graded by OFA--it must have been really recent b/c
>his scores are not listed on the OFA site.

Ah, good catch. Their site (http://www.offa.org) is current through
July 30th, and I've often seen results show up there before the owner
has even received the certificate. So I'll keep a watch on that site
for a week or two to see if this dog really does show up.

Dianne

Krishur
2003-08-08 06:23:30 EST
The breed you love can be outright dangerous when bred improperly. Without a
breeder's knowledge how do you know you found a "good dog"? Breeding should
be left to professionals--while learning, you could be discovering if he is
worthy of passing his genes on through
conformation/shutzhund/obedience/agility/tracking etc, etc.

If you truly are interested in becoming a good breeder and a credit to the
breed Rottweiler find a breeder who can mentor you. There is no reason to
breed your pet.

My qualifications? I know a good breeder and BYB when I see it.
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html

Kristen

> "Krishur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Wow, a 2 y.o. unproven stud. No conformation championship/points,
working
> > titles, obedience/tracking/agility titles--nothing, nada zip. I guess he
> > should be bred cause he's "so cute" and "a really good dog".
> >
> > Oh wait, hip x-rays were graded by OFA--it must have been really recent
> b/c
> > his scores are not listed on the OFA site. Any other health checks? What
> > about heart tests (SAS and PDA are indicated for Rotties), blood tests
> (Von
> > wildebrands, brucellosis just to name a few)
> >
> > http://www.amrottclub.org/choosebrdr.htm
> >
> Oh stupid me; I go to all the trouble of finding a good dog, getting it
> registered by the AKC, Hips Certified by OFA, medically cleared by a Vet.
> When I should have just contacted kris_brock
>
> and asked for your permission. But in all of your pontificating you failed
> to mention your qualifications. Since you listed none, there probably
isn't
> any......Get yourself a life and a good therapist!
>

> > "Grady & Karen Bowman" <bwman111@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > Rottweiler Stud Available
> > >

> > > 26 month old male Rottweiler now available for Stud Service:
> > >
> > > Name: TROUBLE THORS HAMMER
> > >
> > > AKC
> > >
> > > O.F.A. HIP CERTIFICATION
> > >
> > > 4 Generation Certified Pedigree
> > >
> > > Inquires Contact:
> > >
> > > Karen Bowman
> > > Phone: 770.443.4394
> > > Fax: 775.640.0830
> > > Email: bwman111@bellsouth.net
> > >
> > > Color Photos available upon request

Diana
2003-08-09 06:43:04 EST

> The breed you love can be outright dangerous when bred improperly. Without
> breeder's knowledge how do you know you found a "good dog"? Breeding
should
> be left to professionals--while learning, you could be discovering if he
is
> worthy of passing his genes on through
> conformation/shutzhund/obedience/agility/tracking etc, etc.
>
> If you truly are interested in becoming a good breeder and a credit to the
> breed Rottweiler find a breeder who can mentor you. There is no reason to
> breed your pet.
>
> My qualifications? I know a good breeder and BYB when I see it.
> http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html
>
> Kristen

On top of that, you worked as a volunteer at your local shelter to help
train the dogs so that they had a better chance of finding new homes too...
IMO that's an extra qualification ~ you've been there to pick up the pieces
while others breed their pets for profits.

To the OP, its great that you have looked as some aspects of your rotties
health. They are one of my favourite breeds for their loving and playful
natures, but as Kristen pointed out, they too often fall in to the wrong
hands and are 'worn' as status badges, or chained alone outside. If you
value your dog more than that, then surely you would hate to see that happen
to one of his fine offspring?

By advertising his services as you have, it sort of makes it look like you
are just trying to make money from him, that you don't care and that you'll
let him get his end away to any old bitch of any old quality, and that can
be very bad news for the pups. That any old bitch might not have had health
tests and so might pass on serious and life threatening genetic faults to
his fine pups, she might have been bred to 'any old dog' before and
contracted a std, which dogs have too. That any old bitch might be being
bred purely for profit and so the people who sell your fine dogs pups could
end up in 'any old homes' ~ the little bitches sold to puppy farms where
they are kept in dank cages and bred relentlessly til they drop dead from
exhaustion, the dogs sold as yard guard dogs, spending heir miserable lives
on chains, often without water or shelter.

The point people are trying to make, it that if you do believe that your dog
is that fine, you might do better to do a little more research, enter him in
a few shows to see how fine the experienced evaluators of the breed think he
is, and join the breed club. You'll have great fun, meet lots of other
rottie owners and you'll have a better chance, if he really is of fine
quality, of ensuring that all his fine pups find warn and loving homes that
will value them as much as you value your dog.

Diana

Dianne Marie Schoenberg
2003-08-09 10:50:21 EST
dianne marie schoenberg <diannes@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>Krishur <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Oh wait, hip x-rays were graded by OFA--it must have been really recent b/c
>>his scores are not listed on the OFA site.
>
>Ah, good catch. Their site (http://www.offa.org) is current through
>July 30th, and I've often seen results show up there before the owner
>has even received the certificate. So I'll keep a watch on that site
>for a week or two to see if this dog really does show up.

Just so everyone knows, Karen was kind enough to send me
a copy of her dog's OFA certificate, and his OFA number
is RO-64027G25M-PI, dated 7/30/2003--so it was indeed too
recent to be listed on the OFA site.

I would still note that the Rottweiler breeders I know
also insist on elbow certification--according to OFA,
only 20.7% of the Rottweiler hips they see are dysplastic,
but 41.8%(!) percent of the elbows are--thyroid testing
and cardiac certification. (Having had a friend who had
a wonderful Rottweiler pup drop dead from an inherited
heart disorder before he was a year old would personally
make me very careful about the latter :-(.)

I'm also afraid that most people who would want to breed
to an untitled dog are 1) probably not very knowledgable,
and 2) probably have less-than-wonderful bitches. After all,
there are MANY wonderful, titled Rottweiler studs around--
anyone with a nice bitch can, and will, be extremely picky
about how she is bred.

JFWIW,

Dianne