Dog Discussion: Gorgeous, Mild-mannered Chow Pup In So. CA? I Found But Can't Keep!

Gorgeous, Mild-mannered Chow Pup In So. CA? I Found But Can't Keep!
Posts: 12

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

Miss Moxie
2004-04-05 14:06:10 EST
I don't know if this is the proper sub-group to place this, but I
figured dog owners are dog lovers and dog lovers know other dog lovers
who maybe don't have a dog yet...

anyhow - I took in a stray Chow that had clearly been abused. She's
(I'm guessing) about 8 months old, definitely not more than a year...
she just showed up one day at the business park where I work, with a
dirty, frayed rope tied around her. She was filthy and really
skiddish. After a few days of feeding and coaxing, she let anyone pet
her that was willing to dig their hands into her filthy fur.

A couple of people in the business park expressed an interest in
taking her home, but at the end of the day on Friday, she was still
there. I was the last one left in the whole business park, and all I
could think about was this fluffy thing baking in the San Fernando sun
all weekend with no water or food. So, I decided, well, if I can get
her into my car, I'll take her home. I got her in the car no problem,
and she hung her head out the window and panted for about 5 minutes,
then curled up in the back seat and went to sleep. I brought her home
- she was quiet and curious, not destructive (didn't go through the
garbage or anything), and very affectionate. She followed me every
time I moved anywhere in the house, and that night, after a bath,
food, a walk, and some cuddles, she curled right up on the floor at
the foot of my bed and went to sleep.

The next morning, I got up early (a feat for me), and took her to the
park, where I met a lot of really cool dog owners, and while I was
wary of letting her play, and she was initially apprehensive of so
many dogs in their most active part of the day, she got comfortable
within minutes and was off playing and having a ball with all the
other dogs, cuddling up to their owners and licking kids' hands.

She's really a wonderful animal, but I can't keep her - I can't afford
it, and my landlord said no, not without a crazy deposit.

The thing is - I have already spent more money on her than I can
afford, and really need to recover what I've already spent on her. If
you can take her, of course, you can have all the food, shampoo,
brush, shears, toys and food bowl I got for her. I also had her
groomed.

I'm looking for $150 to take her. I want someone who has a big yard,
can walk her in the morning and evening, and since she loves kids, I'm
hoping for a family that will love her. She's really a remarkable
animal, and it's breaking my heart that I can't keep her. And I need
to let her go soon, before this becomes home and we BOTH get too
attached.

She deserves a big happy family home and lots of attention, not a
small, hot one bedroom apartment and a workaholic who travels too
much.

I've been contacted by adoption shelters and such, but the thing is -
I've dug myself quite a hole financially by taking her in, and I need
to recoup my expenses. These places aren't willing to find a
potential owner who can reimburse me. If you have a suggestion for a
place that WILL, then that's great. If not, then please don't bother
referring me to a shelter. I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm not
trying to be petty about the money. I really don't care about the
cost, except that it's seriously put me into a position where I won't
be able to cover my OWN basic living expenses this month. And I have
NO intention of sending her to the pound or having her put down. I'll
take her to work every day if it comes to that, and she can roam
around in the business park the way she was when I found her, then
take her home at night. PLease be assured that she will not be taken
to a death camp. I'll scrounge the money for a pet deposit before I
do that.

If you know of anyone who wants her, please email me directly and I
will send photos. She's just absolutely adorable. She's about 25-30
lbs (small for a chow) and a very happy and naturally obedient dog.
If you chose to give her formal training, I bet she'd be something
else. I'm willing to drive her anywhere in the southern half of the
state, provided it's a good home. I want her happy - that's my only
concern.

Thanks for hearing me out - and if this was, in fact, an uncouth post
in regards to the posting guidelines of this forum, I sincerely
apologize. I'd have serached, but I haven't the time... gotta take
this precious thing out for a game of catch.

Thanks so much!
Patricia

Caroline
2004-04-06 06:05:07 EST
"Miss Moxie" wrote

> I don't know if this is the proper sub-group to place this, but I
> figured dog owners are dog lovers and dog lovers know other dog lovers
> who maybe don't have a dog yet...
>
> anyhow - I took in a stray Chow that had clearly been abused. She's
> (I'm guessing) about 8 months old, definitely not more than a year...
> she just showed up one day at the business park where I work, with a
> dirty, frayed rope tied around her. She was filthy and really
> skiddish. After a few days of feeding and coaxing, she let anyone pet
> her that was willing to dig their hands into her filthy fur.
>
> A couple of people in the business park expressed an interest in
> taking her home, but at the end of the day on Friday, she was still
> there. I was the last one left in the whole business park, and all I
> could think about was this fluffy thing baking in the San Fernando sun
> all weekend with no water or food. So, I decided, well, if I can get
> her into my car, I'll take her home. I got her in the car no problem,
> and she hung her head out the window and panted for about 5 minutes,
> then curled up in the back seat and went to sleep. I brought her home
> - she was quiet and curious, not destructive (didn't go through the
> garbage or anything), and very affectionate. She followed me every
> time I moved anywhere in the house, and that night, after a bath,
> food, a walk, and some cuddles, she curled right up on the floor at
> the foot of my bed and went to sleep.
>
> The next morning, I got up early (a feat for me), and took her to the
> park, where I met a lot of really cool dog owners, and while I was
> wary of letting her play, and she was initially apprehensive of so
> many dogs in their most active part of the day, she got comfortable
> within minutes and was off playing and having a ball with all the
> other dogs, cuddling up to their owners and licking kids' hands.
>
> She's really a wonderful animal, but I can't keep her - I can't afford
> it, and my landlord said no, not without a crazy deposit.

So far so good....

> The thing is - I have already spent more money on her than I can
> afford, and really need to recover what I've already spent on her. If
> you can take her, of course, you can have all the food, shampoo,
> brush, shears, toys and food bowl I got for her. I also had her
> groomed.
>
> I'm looking for $150 to take her.

So, you took in a stray, and now you're selling it? I'm gobsmacked!!! If
you couldn't afford the care you should have handed her over to a rescue as
soon as you caught her.

> I want someone who has a big yard,
> can walk her in the morning and evening, and since she loves kids, I'm
> hoping for a family that will love her. She's really a remarkable
> animal, and it's breaking my heart that I can't keep her. And I need
> to let her go soon, before this becomes home and we BOTH get too
> attached.
>
> She deserves a big happy family home and lots of attention, not a
> small, hot one bedroom apartment and a workaholic who travels too
> much.

Yes she does...

> I've been contacted by adoption shelters and such, but the thing is -
> I've dug myself quite a hole financially by taking her in, and I need
> to recoup my expenses.

No, you don't. that is the price of taking on more than you could deal
with. It's a loss, treat it as such. Next time take the dog to the
rescue...

> These places aren't willing to find a
> potential owner who can reimburse me.

Its hard enough for them to keep their own heads up financially. They're
not money-collectors for someone who's love of dogs doesn't reach her purse.

> If you have a suggestion for a
> place that WILL, then that's great. If not, then please don't bother
> referring me to a shelter. I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm not
> trying to be petty about the money. I really don't care about the
> cost, except that it's seriously put me into a position where I won't
> be able to cover my OWN basic living expenses this month.

No one forced you to take this dog in. i would have done the same, I *have*
done the same, and still would do the same...but there is no way anyone will
reimburse me for the money I have spent on these strays that I have taken
in, and if i couldn't take a dog in because of lack of space, lack of money
etc, I will still catch the dog and give it to a rescue who *can* give it
the care and attention it needs

> And I have
> NO intention of sending her to the pound or having her put down.

Glad to hear it...

> I'll
> take her to work every day if it comes to that, and she can roam
> around in the business park the way she was when I found her, then
> take her home at night. PLease be assured that she will not be taken
> to a death camp. I'll scrounge the money for a pet deposit before I
> do that.

Do yourself, the dog and your finances a favour. Cut your losses and hand
her to a rescue.

> If you know of anyone who wants her, please email me directly and I
> will send photos. She's just absolutely adorable. She's about 25-30
> lbs (small for a chow) and a very happy and naturally obedient dog.
> If you chose to give her formal training, I bet she'd be something
> else. I'm willing to drive her anywhere in the southern half of the
> state, provided it's a good home.

But you'll probably want petrol money too, right?

Don't get me wrong... I think what you have done is *good*....but I can't
imagine anyone will *reimburse* you for money you *chose* to spend. That's
the price you pay for caring...please don't let this put you off being
kind-hearted to strays in the future, but think about your situation before
you spend money on the next dog you take in...if you can't cope, then hand
the dog over to people who can.



After L1F3
2004-04-06 11:28:34 EST
Phew, PMS or what??? I understand where this person is coming from. It just
kills you to see such a great animal suffer, whether or not you can afford
it or not, you're not going to let this animal die. You know maybe they
didn't know about rescues. Not everyone in the world is as knowledgeable as
you and I. Cut the person some slack, sure they probably won't get
re-imbursed but it is at least worth asking becuase someone might feel the
same way about this kind of situation. Don't be so narrow minded, if you
don't want to re-imburse them for the dog, fine, doesn't mean somebody
won't.......


"caroline" <nospamplease@thanxs.com> wrote in message
news:c4u0sg$2nrl8o$1@ID-146153.news.uni-berlin.de...
> "Miss Moxie" wrote
>
> > I don't know if this is the proper sub-group to place this, but I
> > figured dog owners are dog lovers and dog lovers know other dog lovers
> > who maybe don't have a dog yet...
> >
> > anyhow - I took in a stray Chow that had clearly been abused. She's
> > (I'm guessing) about 8 months old, definitely not more than a year...
> > she just showed up one day at the business park where I work, with a
> > dirty, frayed rope tied around her. She was filthy and really
> > skiddish. After a few days of feeding and coaxing, she let anyone pet
> > her that was willing to dig their hands into her filthy fur.
> >
> > A couple of people in the business park expressed an interest in
> > taking her home, but at the end of the day on Friday, she was still
> > there. I was the last one left in the whole business park, and all I
> > could think about was this fluffy thing baking in the San Fernando sun
> > all weekend with no water or food. So, I decided, well, if I can get
> > her into my car, I'll take her home. I got her in the car no problem,
> > and she hung her head out the window and panted for about 5 minutes,
> > then curled up in the back seat and went to sleep. I brought her home
> > - she was quiet and curious, not destructive (didn't go through the
> > garbage or anything), and very affectionate. She followed me every
> > time I moved anywhere in the house, and that night, after a bath,
> > food, a walk, and some cuddles, she curled right up on the floor at
> > the foot of my bed and went to sleep.
> >
> > The next morning, I got up early (a feat for me), and took her to the
> > park, where I met a lot of really cool dog owners, and while I was
> > wary of letting her play, and she was initially apprehensive of so
> > many dogs in their most active part of the day, she got comfortable
> > within minutes and was off playing and having a ball with all the
> > other dogs, cuddling up to their owners and licking kids' hands.
> >
> > She's really a wonderful animal, but I can't keep her - I can't afford
> > it, and my landlord said no, not without a crazy deposit.
>
> So far so good....
>
> > The thing is - I have already spent more money on her than I can
> > afford, and really need to recover what I've already spent on her. If
> > you can take her, of course, you can have all the food, shampoo,
> > brush, shears, toys and food bowl I got for her. I also had her
> > groomed.
> >
> > I'm looking for $150 to take her.
>
> So, you took in a stray, and now you're selling it? I'm gobsmacked!!! If
> you couldn't afford the care you should have handed her over to a rescue
as
> soon as you caught her.
>
> > I want someone who has a big yard,
> > can walk her in the morning and evening, and since she loves kids, I'm
> > hoping for a family that will love her. She's really a remarkable
> > animal, and it's breaking my heart that I can't keep her. And I need
> > to let her go soon, before this becomes home and we BOTH get too
> > attached.
> >
> > She deserves a big happy family home and lots of attention, not a
> > small, hot one bedroom apartment and a workaholic who travels too
> > much.
>
> Yes she does...
>
> > I've been contacted by adoption shelters and such, but the thing is -
> > I've dug myself quite a hole financially by taking her in, and I need
> > to recoup my expenses.
>
> No, you don't. that is the price of taking on more than you could deal
> with. It's a loss, treat it as such. Next time take the dog to the
> rescue...
>
> > These places aren't willing to find a
> > potential owner who can reimburse me.
>
> Its hard enough for them to keep their own heads up financially. They're
> not money-collectors for someone who's love of dogs doesn't reach her
purse.
>
> > If you have a suggestion for a
> > place that WILL, then that's great. If not, then please don't bother
> > referring me to a shelter. I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm not
> > trying to be petty about the money. I really don't care about the
> > cost, except that it's seriously put me into a position where I won't
> > be able to cover my OWN basic living expenses this month.
>
> No one forced you to take this dog in. i would have done the same, I
*have*
> done the same, and still would do the same...but there is no way anyone
will
> reimburse me for the money I have spent on these strays that I have taken
> in, and if i couldn't take a dog in because of lack of space, lack of
money
> etc, I will still catch the dog and give it to a rescue who *can* give it
> the care and attention it needs
>
> > And I have
> > NO intention of sending her to the pound or having her put down.
>
> Glad to hear it...
>
> > I'll
> > take her to work every day if it comes to that, and she can roam
> > around in the business park the way she was when I found her, then
> > take her home at night. PLease be assured that she will not be taken
> > to a death camp. I'll scrounge the money for a pet deposit before I
> > do that.
>
> Do yourself, the dog and your finances a favour. Cut your losses and hand
> her to a rescue.
>
> > If you know of anyone who wants her, please email me directly and I
> > will send photos. She's just absolutely adorable. She's about 25-30
> > lbs (small for a chow) and a very happy and naturally obedient dog.
> > If you chose to give her formal training, I bet she'd be something
> > else. I'm willing to drive her anywhere in the southern half of the
> > state, provided it's a good home.
>
> But you'll probably want petrol money too, right?
>
> Don't get me wrong... I think what you have done is *good*....but I can't
> imagine anyone will *reimburse* you for money you *chose* to spend.
That's
> the price you pay for caring...please don't let this put you off being
> kind-hearted to strays in the future, but think about your situation
before
> you spend money on the next dog you take in...if you can't cope, then hand
> the dog over to people who can.
>
>



Michael A. Ball
2004-04-06 18:22:32 EST
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:28:34 -0300, "After L1F3"
<*r@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Phew, PMS or what??? [...] Don't be so narrow minded, if you
>don't want to re-imburse them for the dog, fine, doesn't mean somebody
>won't.......

No PMS here. I thought Caroline's was quite mellow, but decided not to
add anything.

I adore Chow Chows. They arrive at our local shelter with coats in
horrible condition and often concealing skin infections. I immediately
begin working on them: trying to make them pretty enough to draw a
second look. I have great success in changing their appearance. The last
two Chow Chows I worked on were returned to their undeserving owners and
probably look like hell by now. I have no idea how many surgeries I've
paid for. Still, some Chow Chows go unwanted. I do this, as a volunteer,
out of my love for Chow Chows {and other dogs}. It's tough and
thankless, but I never expect money or even gratitude. The dogs give me
all of the compensation I need.

Being poor, I am acutely aware of the need to budget my money. These
days, I ask another Chow Chow enthusiast to split the surgery costs, but
I still repair their coats and make nice signs for their cages.

I don't want to fault someone who did a good deed, but I can't help
thinking, "What was Miss Moxie thinking?" I hope she recovers her money,
but I can't imagine it happening, especially for a Chow Chow--or worse,
a mix. :-(

Actually, I feel somewhat sad for Miss Moxie because she did set out to
do a good deed, for my favorite breed, but her efforts were perhaps not
well thought out. The general public has no idea of how shelters and
rescues work, or even where they are located. The public has no idea of
how unwanted large dogs, and certain breeds are. The reality of our
extensive animal abuse problem and daily euthanasia {Killing} sessions
is also a mystery to the general public.

Michael
A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Diddy
2004-04-06 18:33:02 EST
Michael A. Ball <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in
news:no86701i02fvtcae5m0bgrk14uk37sj9rm@4ax.com:


> I adore Chow Chows. They arrive at our local shelter with coats in
> horrible condition and often concealing skin infections. I immediately
> begin working on them: trying to make them pretty enough to draw a
> second look.

This letter exuding kindness and compassion just made my heart go awwwww
:~)

The Puppy Wizard
2004-04-07 02:30:31 EST
HOWEDY mikey,

"Michael A. Ball" <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in message
news:no86701i02fvtcae5m0bgrk14uk37sj9rm@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:28:34 -0300, "After L1F3"
> <alisonburr@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Phew, PMS or what??? [...] Don't be so narrow minded,
> > if you don't want to re-imburse them for the dog, fine,
> > doesn't mean somebody won't.......
>
> No PMS here. I thought Caroline's was quite
> mellow, but decided not to add anything.

Might that be on accHOWENT of you got NUTHIN
to add, EXXXCEPT MURDER THE DOG, like you
done to that little DEAD PUPPY, Symphony, YOU
MURDERED, cause she was deaf, mikey?

> I adore Chow Chows.

Do you NHOWE?

> They arrive at our local shelter with coats in
> horrible condition and often concealing skin
> infections. I immediately begin working on
> them: trying to make them pretty enough to
> draw a second look. I have great success in
> changing their appearance.

You're a SAINT, mikey.

> The last two Chow Chows I worked on were
> returned to their undeserving owners and
> probably look like hell by now.

Probably so. Probably on accHOWENT of
your RESCUE didn't give the people any
ADVICE.

> I have no idea how many surgeries I've paid for.

You mean surgical sexual mutilation cause
you're a pansy, mikey?

> Still, some Chow Chows go unwanted.

So you MURDER them.

> I do this, as a volunteer,

INDEEDY.

> out of my love for Chow Chows {and other dogs}.

Like Symphony, mikey?

> It's tough and thankless,

Perhaps THAT'S on accHOWENT of you're
a dog murdering lying punk thug sissy
coward mental case, mikey?

> but I never expect money or even gratitude.

You're a SAINT for MURDERING DOGS, mikey.

> The dogs give me all of the compensation I need.

INDEEDY. Symphony is grateful.

> Being poor,

And mentally ill.

> I am acutely aware of the need to budget my money.

But you'll pay to surgically mutilate dogs and
hold them to be MURDERED, FOR FREE.

> These days, I ask another Chow Chow enthusiast
> to split the surgery costs,

You mean the unnecessary inapupriate surgical mutilation.

> but I still repair their coats and make nice signs
> for their cages.

Yeah.

> I don't want to fault someone who did a good deed,

Like you do all the time, mikey.

> but I can't help thinking, "What was Miss Moxie thinking?"

She was thinkin she could do the same thing
your shelter organization does, MAKE MONEY,
but not for her profit, just to reimburse her for
her expense SAVING a dog from DOG MURDERERS
like you, mikey.

> I hope she recovers her money,

LikeWIZE.

> but I can't imagine it happening,

THAT'S HOWE COME YOU MURDER DOGS.

> especially for a Chow Chow-

A dog is a dog, mikey.

> -or worse, a mix. :-(

You're a MENTAL CASE, mikey.

> Actually,

Actually, you're a DESPICABLE LYING DOG
ABUSEING COWARD and a MENTAL CASE.

> I feel somewhat sad for Miss Moxie because
> she did set out to do a good deed,

Yeah. Like you did. But she wouldn't MURDER a
dog like HOWE you do, mikey.

> for my favorite breed,

Your favorite breed.

> but her efforts were perhaps not well thought out.

Perhaps she wasn't cHOWENTING on PUNKS like you, mikey.

> The general public has no idea of how
> shelters and rescues work,

RIGHT. That's HOWE COME The Amazing Puppy
Wizard is EXXXPOSING and DISCREDITING you
and your MENTALLY ILL PALS who HURT and
MURDER dogs and call it RESCUE.

> or even where they are located.

You been takin your anti psychotic meds, mikey?

> The public has no idea of how unwanted large
> dogs, and certain breeds are.

Well perhaps that's on accHOWENT of the
efforts of dog lovers like you mikey who
bad talk your favorite breeds?

> The reality of our extensive animal abuse problem

You mean, by dog lovers like yourself, mikey?

> and daily euthanasia {Killing} sessions

That dog lovers like you do, mikey.

> is also a mystery to the general public.

INDEED. Kinda like MENTAL ILLNESS, eh mikey?

> Michael

You're a dog abusing lying coward sissy
punk mental case, mikey.

> A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Your days are numbered, mikey.

TRUST The Amazing Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >



Caroline
2004-04-07 05:38:54 EST
"Michael A. Ball" wrote
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:28:34 -0300, "After L1F3"
> <alisonburr@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Phew, PMS or what??? [...] Don't be so narrow minded, if you
> >don't want to re-imburse them for the dog, fine, doesn't mean somebody
> >won't.......
>
> No PMS here. I thought Caroline's was quite mellow, but decided not to
> add anything.

Thank you Michael. I keep re-reading my post and trying to work out why
Alison thinks I'm suffering from PMS...I'm staggered that this response came
from a female too...
Ah well...'nowt as queer as folk'...
I don't think I was being 'narrow minded'...just realistic.



Diddy
2004-04-07 07:40:29 EST
"caroline" <nospamplease@thanxs.com> wrote in
news:c50i6l$2lsov1$1@ID-146153.news.uni-berlin.de:

> "Michael A. Ball" wrote
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:28:34 -0300, "After L1F3"
>> <alisonburr@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Phew, PMS or what??? [...] Don't be so narrow minded, if you
>> >don't want to re-imburse them for the dog, fine, doesn't mean
>> >somebody won't.......
>>
>> No PMS here. I thought Caroline's was quite mellow, but decided not
>> to add anything.
>
> Thank you Michael. I keep re-reading my post and trying to work out
> why Alison thinks I'm suffering from PMS...I'm staggered that this
> response came from a female too...
> Ah well...'nowt as queer as folk'...
> I don't think I was being 'narrow minded'...just realistic.
You have to realize that a lot of posters on newsgroups live to cut people
down so they can self aggrandize. Makes them feel big.

After L1F3
2004-04-07 09:21:53 EST
That wasn't my intension. I can just see where Miss Moxie was coming from. I
used to be in that same situation and i'd have done the same thing. Not
everyone is well off and that was my point. I was also trying to make the
point that most people don't know or have never heard of rescues. They
aren't "dog" or "animal" people per say but couldn't stand to let the poor
animal die or roam around and starve. I'm truely sorry if I offended you but
my intension wasn't to cut people down as you say and I don't post on
newsgroups just to do so. I'm just stating that yeah, it must certainly was
a bad decision but i'd have done it too. Most people only know of shelters
such as the SPCA or organizaitons like them that you actually have to PAY to
leave your animal there. They have no idea about rescues. Either way it is
very sad and you're right You don't have PMS I just thought that nobody
would say bad things about someone trying to recoup a little bit of money,
even though it was done by Miss Moxie's free will. Worst case, MM gets
nothing back from finding the dog a good home, but it never hurts to ask,

A.Life


"diddy" <diddy@nospam.diddy.net> wrote in message
news:Xns94C44DC353307danny@216.196.97.132...
> "caroline" <nospamplease@thanxs.com> wrote in
> news:c50i6l$2lsov1$1@ID-146153.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > "Michael A. Ball" wrote
> >> On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:28:34 -0300, "After L1F3"
> >> <alisonburr@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >Phew, PMS or what??? [...] Don't be so narrow minded, if you
> >> >don't want to re-imburse them for the dog, fine, doesn't mean
> >> >somebody won't.......
> >>
> >> No PMS here. I thought Caroline's was quite mellow, but decided not
> >> to add anything.
> >
> > Thank you Michael. I keep re-reading my post and trying to work out
> > why Alison thinks I'm suffering from PMS...I'm staggered that this
> > response came from a female too...
> > Ah well...'nowt as queer as folk'...
> > I don't think I was being 'narrow minded'...just realistic.
> You have to realize that a lot of posters on newsgroups live to cut
people
> down so they can self aggrandize. Makes them feel big.



KrisHur
2004-04-07 10:17:10 EST
While your overall message (if she couldn't afford to lose the money she
should've turned the dog over to rescue right away) was right on, that was
harsh.

This woman is not unreasonable asking someone to reimburse her and most
people would claim it's the responsible thing to do. Although I find it hard
to believe a few toys, brush and grooming came to $150 (did you take her to
a vet?), someone who cannot afford $100-150 to adopt the dog perhaps
shouldn't have it in the first place. My vet charges about $150 a year for a
physical and shots--if someone cannot stomach a typical vet bill they are
not in a position financially to get a dog.
--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT
www.kristenandkali.com




"caroline" <nospamplease@thanxs.com> wrote in message
news:c4u0sg$2nrl8o$1@ID-146153.news.uni-berlin.de...
> "Miss Moxie" wrote
>
> > I don't know if this is the proper sub-group to place this, but I
> > figured dog owners are dog lovers and dog lovers know other dog lovers
> > who maybe don't have a dog yet...
> >
> > anyhow - I took in a stray Chow that had clearly been abused. She's
> > (I'm guessing) about 8 months old, definitely not more than a year...
> > she just showed up one day at the business park where I work, with a
> > dirty, frayed rope tied around her. She was filthy and really
> > skiddish. After a few days of feeding and coaxing, she let anyone pet
> > her that was willing to dig their hands into her filthy fur.
> >
> > A couple of people in the business park expressed an interest in
> > taking her home, but at the end of the day on Friday, she was still
> > there. I was the last one left in the whole business park, and all I
> > could think about was this fluffy thing baking in the San Fernando sun
> > all weekend with no water or food. So, I decided, well, if I can get
> > her into my car, I'll take her home. I got her in the car no problem,
> > and she hung her head out the window and panted for about 5 minutes,
> > then curled up in the back seat and went to sleep. I brought her home
> > - she was quiet and curious, not destructive (didn't go through the
> > garbage or anything), and very affectionate. She followed me every
> > time I moved anywhere in the house, and that night, after a bath,
> > food, a walk, and some cuddles, she curled right up on the floor at
> > the foot of my bed and went to sleep.
> >
> > The next morning, I got up early (a feat for me), and took her to the
> > park, where I met a lot of really cool dog owners, and while I was
> > wary of letting her play, and she was initially apprehensive of so
> > many dogs in their most active part of the day, she got comfortable
> > within minutes and was off playing and having a ball with all the
> > other dogs, cuddling up to their owners and licking kids' hands.
> >
> > She's really a wonderful animal, but I can't keep her - I can't afford
> > it, and my landlord said no, not without a crazy deposit.
>
> So far so good....
>
> > The thing is - I have already spent more money on her than I can
> > afford, and really need to recover what I've already spent on her. If
> > you can take her, of course, you can have all the food, shampoo,
> > brush, shears, toys and food bowl I got for her. I also had her
> > groomed.
> >
> > I'm looking for $150 to take her.
>
> So, you took in a stray, and now you're selling it? I'm gobsmacked!!! If
> you couldn't afford the care you should have handed her over to a rescue
as
> soon as you caught her.
>
> > I want someone who has a big yard,
> > can walk her in the morning and evening, and since she loves kids, I'm
> > hoping for a family that will love her. She's really a remarkable
> > animal, and it's breaking my heart that I can't keep her. And I need
> > to let her go soon, before this becomes home and we BOTH get too
> > attached.
> >
> > She deserves a big happy family home and lots of attention, not a
> > small, hot one bedroom apartment and a workaholic who travels too
> > much.
>
> Yes she does...
>
> > I've been contacted by adoption shelters and such, but the thing is -
> > I've dug myself quite a hole financially by taking her in, and I need
> > to recoup my expenses.
>
> No, you don't. that is the price of taking on more than you could deal
> with. It's a loss, treat it as such. Next time take the dog to the
> rescue...
>
> > These places aren't willing to find a
> > potential owner who can reimburse me.
>
> Its hard enough for them to keep their own heads up financially. They're
> not money-collectors for someone who's love of dogs doesn't reach her
purse.
>
> > If you have a suggestion for a
> > place that WILL, then that's great. If not, then please don't bother
> > referring me to a shelter. I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm not
> > trying to be petty about the money. I really don't care about the
> > cost, except that it's seriously put me into a position where I won't
> > be able to cover my OWN basic living expenses this month.
>
> No one forced you to take this dog in. i would have done the same, I
*have*
> done the same, and still would do the same...but there is no way anyone
will
> reimburse me for the money I have spent on these strays that I have taken
> in, and if i couldn't take a dog in because of lack of space, lack of
money
> etc, I will still catch the dog and give it to a rescue who *can* give it
> the care and attention it needs
>
> > And I have
> > NO intention of sending her to the pound or having her put down.
>
> Glad to hear it...
>
> > I'll
> > take her to work every day if it comes to that, and she can roam
> > around in the business park the way she was when I found her, then
> > take her home at night. PLease be assured that she will not be taken
> > to a death camp. I'll scrounge the money for a pet deposit before I
> > do that.
>
> Do yourself, the dog and your finances a favour. Cut your losses and hand
> her to a rescue.
>
> > If you know of anyone who wants her, please email me directly and I
> > will send photos. She's just absolutely adorable. She's about 25-30
> > lbs (small for a chow) and a very happy and naturally obedient dog.
> > If you chose to give her formal training, I bet she'd be something
> > else. I'm willing to drive her anywhere in the southern half of the
> > state, provided it's a good home.
>
> But you'll probably want petrol money too, right?
>
> Don't get me wrong... I think what you have done is *good*....but I can't
> imagine anyone will *reimburse* you for money you *chose* to spend.
That's
> the price you pay for caring...please don't let this put you off being
> kind-hearted to strays in the future, but think about your situation
before
> you spend money on the next dog you take in...if you can't cope, then hand
> the dog over to people who can.
>
>


Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron