Dog Discussion: Getting A Dog

Getting A Dog

Tara
2003-08-05 05:15:28 EST
Hi there, me and my girlfriend have been living together for 2 month and we
always wanted to get a dog but wanted to wait till we were settled. well now
is the time, but were not sure what to go for, i like small dogs and cute
lil faces. we've almost decided on a west highland terrier, does anyone have
any good/bad facts about this breed and are they hard to get?

also at first we decided we wanted to get our dog from a shelter but you
never see many small dogs there do you? and even less puppies.

anyway thanks for your help.

im in south shields near newcastle, if anyone knows any good place to get a
dog or where any dog shelters are.

TIA

Diana
2003-08-05 06:30:49 EST

"Tara" <tebz@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there, me and my girlfriend have been living together for 2 month and
we
> always wanted to get a dog but wanted to wait till we were settled. well
now
> is the time, but were not sure what to go for, i like small dogs and cute
> lil faces. we've almost decided on a west highland terrier, does anyone
have
> any good/bad facts about this breed and are they hard to get?
>
> also at first we decided we wanted to get our dog from a shelter but you
> never see many small dogs there do you? and even less puppies.
>
> anyway thanks for your help.
>
> im in south shields near newcastle, if anyone knows any good place to get
> dog or where any dog shelters are.
>
> TIA

I did a quick search and found this, which might be of some help to you...

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/21442.html

Diana

Chris Garcia
2003-08-05 10:00:35 EST
"Tara" <tebz@blueyonder.co.uk> decided to join the conversation on 05 Aug
2003 with message news:FBKXa.2849$dL4.2308@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

> also at first we decided we wanted to get our dog from a shelter but you
> never see many small dogs there do you? and even less puppies.

We got our first dog ( http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ginger/ ) from a
shelter (Capital Area Animal Welfare Society) .. she weighed 2 or 3 lbs and
was maybe 6 weeks old.. course, now she's 3 years old and a plump 30 lbs ..

you never know what you can find at a shelter unless you look.. not to
mention we only had to pay a $60 adoption fee (included spay/neuter when
she was old enough)

--
-Chris

http://www.ChrisGarcia.com <- My Homepage
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/cars/ <- *NEW* My cars
http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ <- *Sort-of NEW* My dogs
http://starwars.chrisgarcia.com/ <- Centerpoint Station, the "ghost-town"
of the Star Wars Universe!

Lisa S. >
2003-08-05 16:37:04 EST
My current dog, Lucy, is one of a series of rescued critters-- most of
the time the experience has been good...

However!

Take a little bit of extra time to look at your lifestyle and the
amount of time that you will be able to spend with your dog!

Before I knew anything about any of the breeds, we wandered into a
shelter and found a nice sized, calm, friendly little dog... that the
shelter told us had a little bit of some sort of terrier in his
bloodlines. We took him home and to the veterinarian -- and learned
that he was a purebred Jack Russell Terrier!

Now... I am in an electric wheelchair due to something that is related
to Lou Gehrig's disease, so I can't move a muscle. Mother is in her
mid-seventies, and sometimes arthritis really bothers her knees.

If you don't know anything about this breed, let's just say that they
are extremely intelligent, mischievous, and have and energy level that
anyone of them could single-handedly furnished the power needs of the
entire state of Texas in August during a heat wave!

After flea treatments and gaining a couple of pounds so we couldn't
see his ribs anymore, we started learning how high-maintenance this
dog would be. Even after obedience training, none of us (including my
nieces and nephews) could begin to keep up with him.

We found a home for him in the country with people who have had Jack
Russell's before and wouldn't have any other breed of dog. "Happy" is
very happy in his new surroundings!

And Lucy is a delightful sweetheart that we can keep up with...

I'd love to show you a picture... does this newsgroup except
attachments?

Lisa Stapp
if you know of someone with health or financial issues, send them to:
HTTP://WWW.MANNAPAGES.COM/WORTHYWOMAN

"The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one
wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering
if something could have materialized - never knowing. *Jim Rohn

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:15:28 +0100, "Tara" <tebz@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi there, me and my girlfriend have been living together for 2 month and we
>always wanted to get a dog but wanted to wait till we were settled. well now
>is the time, but were not sure what to go for, i like small dogs and cute
>lil faces. we've almost decided on a west highland terrier, does anyone have
>any good/bad facts about this breed and are they hard to get?
>
>also at first we decided we wanted to get our dog from a shelter but you
>never see many small dogs there do you? and even less puppies.
>
>anyway thanks for your help.
>
>im in south shields near newcastle, if anyone knows any good place to get a
>dog or where any dog shelters are.
>
>TIA

ClippoPuppet
2003-08-05 19:59:46 EST

"Chris Garcia" <NcOhSrPiAsM@chrisgarcia.com> wrote in message
> "Tara" <tebz@blueyonder.co.uk> decided to join the conversation on 05 Aug
> 2003 with message news:FBKXa.2849$dL4.2308@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:
>
> > also at first we decided we wanted to get our dog from a shelter but you
> > never see many small dogs there do you? and even less puppies.
>
> We got our first dog ( http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ginger/ ) from a
> shelter (Capital Area Animal Welfare Society) .. she weighed 2 or 3 lbs
and
> was maybe 6 weeks old.. course, now she's 3 years old and a plump 30 lbs
..

> you never know what you can find at a shelter unless you look.. not to
> mention we only had to pay a $60 adoption fee (included spay/neuter when
> she was old enough)
>
> --
> -Chris
>
> http://www.ChrisGarcia.com <- My Homepage
> http://www.chrisgarcia.com/cars/ <- *NEW* My cars
> http://www.chrisgarcia.com/dogs/ <- *Sort-of NEW* My dogs
> http://starwars.chrisgarcia.com/ <- Centerpoint Station, the "ghost-town"
> of the Star Wars Universe!

Ditto. Both of mine are shelter babies! PT is a fox terrier (smooth) at
approximately 20 lbs. and Charity is a fox terrier mix at about 25 lbs.
Chare was a puppy when I rescued her, and PT was a young 2 1/2 year old
(which was great, as I wasn't prepared for a puppy at the time).

--
Those days when I was young
Ah, those remembered well

-"Grandma's Lap"
-By Diane Graebner

Read my poetry online at
http://www.generations-poetry.com

Krishur
2003-08-06 07:44:46 EST
I know a couple West Highland Terriers and they are nice little dogs w/good
personalities but nearly untrainable.

You can teach them the basics but very few go onto
obedience/agility/tracking/etc. etc.
--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

"Tara" <tebz@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there, me and my girlfriend have been living together for 2 month and
we
> always wanted to get a dog but wanted to wait till we were settled. well
now
> is the time, but were not sure what to go for, i like small dogs and cute
> lil faces. we've almost decided on a west highland terrier, does anyone
have
> any good/bad facts about this breed and are they hard to get?
>
> also at first we decided we wanted to get our dog from a shelter but you
> never see many small dogs there do you? and even less puppies.
>
> anyway thanks for your help.
>
> im in south shields near newcastle, if anyone knows any good place to get
> dog or where any dog shelters are.
>
> TIA

Gwen Watson
2003-08-06 12:57:50 EST

dianne marie schoenberg wrote:

> There's more, but do I need I go on? They're actually quite versatile
> little dogs, and I've had the pleasure of watching them work any number
> of times.
>
> JFWIW,
>
> Dianne

Personally I have actually never met a terrier of any breed that didn't fit the
above
description.

Yes they are different and typically their training style does not fit mine but
I find them wonderful dogs. All that I have met. Which includes lots of
various terrier types.

Gwen

Krishur
2003-08-06 15:56:36 EST
I'm just speaking from what I've seen. I see a few Westies coming into puppy
classes but have yet to see one in competition classes and very, very few at
trials or matches.

Clearly your experience differs.

<shrug>

Kristen