Dog Discussion: Table Scraps, To Eat Or Not To Eat?

Table Scraps, To Eat Or Not To Eat?

Chris
2003-07-29 18:00:46 EST
I have 2 friends that are making me crazy in their refusal to allow
their dogs to enjoy a "healthY" table scrap now and then. They act
like real food is poison. I'm curious what the group thinks.

They recently adopted my chihuahua because I have to travel too much.
My Chihuahua is the healthiest of their 3 dogs (zero vet visits), and
I believe it's because she had a good balanced diet.

I'm a firm believer that a regular diet of dog food, supplemented by
the occasional good table scrap, like a piece of real meat (even if
fatty), a real beef bone with real meat, some beans or rice, all the
protien stuff, is GOOD for dogs.

Dog food, even the expensive stuff, is essentially meat processing
plant scraps, with proteins and preservatives added in. The more you
pay, the more REAL meat you get. These friends have been brainwashed
by the pet food industry and vets (who make lots by peddling the
science diets of the world) that real food is poison for dogs.

If it's good enough for our kids, then why not our dogs? Do people
forget that dogs closest relatives evolved by hunting meat? wolves eat
real meat, coyotes eat real meat, foxes eat real meat.

These same friends claim that real food has too much fat, and dog food
has essential ingredients a dog needs. So I ask them why don't they
feed their kids Power Bars for each meal, since that has essential
ingredients? Do they ban their kids from eating bacon? Hell no, cause
bacon tastes good!

i just don't understand why their kids are allowed to eat a balanced,
sensible meal, but their dogs aren't.

chris

*@copper.net
2003-07-29 19:05:44 EST
Hi Chris!
I agree. I have three dogs, two of which are indoors & eat the occassional
table scraps. The other, which is outdoors & gets almost a full meal of them
about twice a wk (dog food the other days). My family has done this for
years with several different dogs & never experienced any problems
concerning their food or health b/c of their diet. I think a lot of times,
people try to say the "right" thing. How we should eat a perfect diet & so
should our pets. But in reality, I don't believe it's hurting them. I, of
coures, wouldn't give them people food every single day...but I think it's
not bad - if given occassionally.

Samantha

chris <od488gw02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 friends that are making me crazy in their refusal to allow
> their dogs to enjoy a "healthY" table scrap now and then. They act
> like real food is poison. I'm curious what the group thinks.
>
> They recently adopted my chihuahua because I have to travel too much.
> My Chihuahua is the healthiest of their 3 dogs (zero vet visits), and
> I believe it's because she had a good balanced diet.
>
> I'm a firm believer that a regular diet of dog food, supplemented by
> the occasional good table scrap, like a piece of real meat (even if
> fatty), a real beef bone with real meat, some beans or rice, all the
> protien stuff, is GOOD for dogs.
>
> Dog food, even the expensive stuff, is essentially meat processing
> plant scraps, with proteins and preservatives added in. The more you
> pay, the more REAL meat you get. These friends have been brainwashed
> by the pet food industry and vets (who make lots by peddling the
> science diets of the world) that real food is poison for dogs.
>
> If it's good enough for our kids, then why not our dogs? Do people
> forget that dogs closest relatives evolved by hunting meat? wolves eat
> real meat, coyotes eat real meat, foxes eat real meat.
>
> These same friends claim that real food has too much fat, and dog food
> has essential ingredients a dog needs. So I ask them why don't they
> feed their kids Power Bars for each meal, since that has essential
> ingredients? Do they ban their kids from eating bacon? Hell no, cause
> bacon tastes good!
>
> i just don't understand why their kids are allowed to eat a balanced,
> sensible meal, but their dogs aren't.
>
> chris

Ken
2003-07-29 19:56:02 EST
chris wrote:

> I have 2 friends that are making me crazy in their refusal to allow
> their dogs to enjoy a "healthY" table scrap now and then. They act
> like real food is poison. I'm curious what the group thinks.

When I was a kid, 50+ years ago, our dogs lived on nothing but table scraps
and they never had a problem.

--
Ken, Pookie and Sammy
--

Krishur
2003-07-30 06:30:04 EST

Who's dogs don't go the vet? I hope you mean that s/he doesn't go other than
regular check-ups and shots.

--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

"chris" <od488gw02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 friends that are making me crazy in their refusal to allow
> their dogs to enjoy a "healthY" table scrap now and then. They act
> like real food is poison. I'm curious what the group thinks.
>
> They recently adopted my chihuahua because I have to travel too much.
> My Chihuahua is the healthiest of their 3 dogs (zero vet visits), and
> I believe it's because she had a good balanced diet.
>
> I'm a firm believer that a regular diet of dog food, supplemented by
> the occasional good table scrap, like a piece of real meat (even if
> fatty), a real beef bone with real meat, some beans or rice, all the
> protien stuff, is GOOD for dogs.

snip for brevity

Gwen Watson
2003-07-30 08:53:25 EST

Krishur wrote:

> Agreed, the daily scrap won't hurt the dog. My girl gets her kibble
> supplemented with a little table scraps every night. However, feeding a dog
> table scraps can create a situation where the dog won't eat his kibble
> anymore--they can become very picky. Additionally, it can create a little
> beggar out of the dog. So there are good reasons (not that your friends
> expressed one) to not feed table scraps.
>
> Who's dogs don't go the vet? I hope you mean that s/he doesn't go other than
> regular check-ups and shots.
>
> --
> Kristen &
> Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT
> http://www.kristenandkali.com

I agree as well. Though my newest baby the corgi can not be given table scraps
because each time I do he does refuse to eat his kibble just as Kristen has
said.

As for my others. Blade is such a gentlemen at the dinner table and lays there
waiting until we are finished, never begging and always waiting, and hoping
tonight/todays one in which he gets something from our plate. Or that
our food is thrown into his bowl with his kibble. Which is usually what occurs,
unless of course there isn't enough. Then both Blade and Clovis get to lick
our plates. Which isn't every night as we don't always eat things that
would be appropriate for dogs.

Gwen

Chris
2003-07-30 11:26:50 EST
"Krishur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<vif7h5lppu3n22@corp.supernews.com>...
> Agreed, the daily scrap won't hurt the dog. My girl gets her kibble
> supplemented with a little table scraps every night. However, feeding a dog
> table scraps can create a situation where the dog won't eat his kibble
> anymore--they can become very picky. Additionally, it can create a little
> beggar out of the dog. So there are good reasons (not that your friends
> expressed one) to not feed table scraps.
>
> Who's dogs don't go the vet? I hope you mean that s/he doesn't go other than
> regular check-ups and shots.
>
> --
> Kristen &
> Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT
> http://www.kristenandkali.com
>

> "chris" <od488gw02@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> > I have 2 friends that are making me crazy in their refusal to allow
> > their dogs to enjoy a "healthY" table scrap now and then. They act
> > like real food is poison. I'm curious what the group thinks.
> >
> > They recently adopted my chihuahua because I have to travel too much.
> > My Chihuahua is the healthiest of their 3 dogs (zero vet visits), and
> > I believe it's because she had a good balanced diet.
> >
> > I'm a firm believer that a regular diet of dog food, supplemented by
> > the occasional good table scrap, like a piece of real meat (even if
> > fatty), a real beef bone with real meat, some beans or rice, all the
> > protien stuff, is GOOD for dogs.
>
> snip for brevity

Yes, this Chihuahua also would get a bit finicky after scraps. But I'd
usually just let her starve herself waiting, until she'd decide it was
time to eat. Usually 1 full day.

chris

> > I have 2 friends that are making me crazy in their refusal to allow
> > their dogs to enjoy a "healthY" table scrap now and then. They act
> > like real food is poison. I'm curious what the group thinks.
>
> When I was a kid, 50+ years ago, our dogs lived on nothing but table
scraps
> and they never had a problem.

Yeah, that's all they ate for the last 30,000 years, since domestication.

There sure has been a good brainwashing job by the marketing departments.
The average joe on the street thinks, like the OP said, human food is
poison.
So ridiculous!

Commercial dog food does sustain life and is relatively balanced
and is very cheap compared to providing a varied and balanced diet
with human food. But I believe doing it yourself is far healthier.
(assuming you have the pantry stocked with healthy foods, not junk)

That rendered meat meal in commercial dog food is disgusting.
And what's with all the grains? .....

The reason the dogs don't want dog food after eating people food is simple.
If you were given oyster crackers and water as your only food for months at
a time and someone slipped you a plate of spagetti one night, those oyster
crackers would look pretty bad until you got good and hungry again.

My approach for 15 years has been half kibble mixed with half human food for
every meal. The human part was any mix of: yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, various
leftovers, enchiladas, spagetti, baby food, rice, canned chicken, tuna,
lettuce, canned veggies, apple juice, etc. I never fed them from the table
so they never begged at the table. When they were hungry they'd bark at the
fridge or at their bowl.

Trotters1
2003-08-10 13:15:54 EST
I agree with healthy scraps occasionally. The trick is to make sure the dog
doesn't know they are coming from the table, especially don't do it when you
are sitting at the table. Our dogs eat after us. I clean up the kitchen,
leaving any healthy scraps on 1 plate, (scraps make up less than 1/8 of
their food for that feeding).

Mix them in with their regular food and they will love the occasional treat!

Andrea