Dog Discussion: My Dog Is...fading

My Dog Is...fading

Moyo
2004-02-06 22:58:42 EST
My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years old.
She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp, has
fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near blind
too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go to the
vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is either
near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks

moyo

L Alpert
2004-02-07 03:45:14 EST
moyo wrote:
> My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years old.
> She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp, has
> fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near blind
> too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go to the
> vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is either
> near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks
>
> moyo

Probably the worst time is to watch a good friend go into failure mode. I
have had the sad job of having to put down two dogs, one was 19, the other
was 16, and it was one of the most difficult things to do. In both
instances, I stayed with them until the end.
As difficult as it was, I'm glad I did.

You will know when it is time........

The Puppy Wizard
2004-02-07 05:01:01 EST
Does she have another "HOWEDY!" left?

"moyo" <moyolawn@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years
old.
> She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp,
has
> fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near
blind
> too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go
to the
> vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is
either
> near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks
>
> moyo

Michael A. Ball
2004-02-07 08:57:21 EST
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:58:42 GMT, moyo <moyolawn@mindspring.com> wrote:

>My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years old.
>She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp, has
>fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near blind
>too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go to the
>vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is either
>near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks

I know you are suffering, but so is Connie. You know, she has had a
fairly long life, for a dog; and I'm confident you been a good guardian.
I believe euthanasia is our final act, perhaps our most loving act.

I went through this on January 26. I don't believe there is an easy way
to go through with this. For me, I always treated Nightbear as though
that day was our last. Then one day, it was the last. As our time ran
out, I remembered more and more of the wonderful life he had given me.

Nightbear was in physical pain, but he was also bewildered by why I
wasn't helping him, and by the fact that he could no longer go up steps
and inclines. Realizing that no miracle was going to heal Nightbear, I
decided it was time to stop being selfish, and say goodbye.

We all manage pet loss differently; but putting what they need and have
earned first is the most important thing.

I wish I had some magic words, but I can only say that I do understand,
and I am so sorry. Please, don't hesitate to come back and talk. You and
Connie will be in my thoughts.

Michael
Whatever it takes.

Diddy
2004-02-07 09:08:49 EST
Michael A. Ball <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:58:42 GMT, moyo <moyolawn@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years old.
>>She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp, has
>>fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near blind
>>too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go to the
>>vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is either
>>near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks
>
> I know you are suffering, but so is Connie. You know, she has had a
> fairly long life, for a dog; and I'm confident you been a good guardian.
> I believe euthanasia is our final act, perhaps our most loving act.
>
> I went through this on January 26. I don't believe there is an easy way
> to go through with this. For me, I always treated Nightbear as though
> that day was our last. Then one day, it was the last. As our time ran
> out, I remembered more and more of the wonderful life he had given me.
>
> Nightbear was in physical pain, but he was also bewildered by why I
> wasn't helping him, and by the fact that he could no longer go up steps
> and inclines. Realizing that no miracle was going to heal Nightbear, I
> decided it was time to stop being selfish, and say goodbye.
>
> We all manage pet loss differently; but putting what they need and have
> earned first is the most important thing.
>
> I wish I had some magic words, but I can only say that I do understand,
> and I am so sorry. Please, don't hesitate to come back and talk. You and
> Connie will be in my thoughts.
>
> Michael
> Whatever it takes.

I feel your pain, and agree with Michael. I have an almost 14 year old dog
who has intestinal blockage (and has had for a couple days) My vwet is
doing a barium series this morning to see the whole picture, but we feel
there is nothing that CAN be done for him at this point (We've tried every
other option earlier this week) EXCEPT surgery. I already told him that he
took so long to heal from his last one, that I didn't feel I could put him
through that again at his age. It's going to take some kind of miracle to
bring him home this time. He's pulled miracles out of his medicine bag
before, but truly, I feel his miracles have run out, and I'm not bringing
Danny home with me this time. I spent the night up with him, cherishing
every moment left.

Good luck to you and hope you feel comfortable that this crossroads in your
life was the right choice. I feel your pain.

Dsaadsdasda
2004-02-09 02:11:42 EST

Uzytkownik "moyo" <moyolawn@mindspring.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years old.
> She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp, has
> fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near blind
> too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go to the
> vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is either
> near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks
>
> moyo

Czesc. Mam na imie Malgosia. M\ufffdj pies nazywa sie Perelka Nowak. Ma 6 lat.
Jest czarno-bialo-brazowo-r\ufffdzowa. Jest najpiekniejszym pieskiem na swiecie i
wasze pieski nie moga sie z nia r\ufffdwnac. Wyslij zdjecie swojego.
Malgosia Nowak.!!!!!

KayJay
2004-02-11 21:17:49 EST
It sounds like she needs to see a vet. I guess you are afraid he might try
to put her down but chances are she just needs some medication. Try putting
her on an all raw food diet and see if she improves

KayJay
http://www.petloversgifts.com
"moyo" <moyolawn@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> My dog, Connie, is a lab/huskie mix and is now approx 14 years old.
> She can't tell me if she is in pain but she walks with a limp, has
> fatty deposits on her sides, deaf as a doorknob and purty near blind
> too. I'm afraid to pick her up to put her into the truck to go to the
> vet , she groans when I tried last time. I know the time is either
> near or now, just want to know what everyone thinks
>
> moyo

Michael A. Ball
2004-02-12 00:35:56 EST
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:17:49 +1000, "KayJay" <krystaljas@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>{snip of even more dangerous amateurish rubbish} Try putting
>her on an all raw food diet and see if she improves

I can't say the BARF diet is totally groundless, but I've read no
accounts of it restoring any senior, blind or deaf dogs.

Some of you BARF proponents pass up no opportunity, regardless of how
callously inappropriate, to tout your craft.

Michael
Whatever it takes.

Diddy
2004-02-12 10:10:59 EST

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:17:49 +1000, "KayJay" <krystaljas@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>{snip of even more dangerous amateurish rubbish} Try putting
>>her on an all raw food diet and see if she improves
>
> I can't say the BARF diet is totally groundless, but I've read no
> accounts of it restoring any senior, blind or deaf dogs.
>
> Some of you BARF proponents pass up no opportunity, regardless of how
> callously inappropriate, to tout your craft.
>
> Michael
> Whatever it takes.

IAWTP 100%
And Telling someone to put their dog on a raw diet without telling EXACTLY
how, or warnings about how to do the studies to do it RIGHT, complicates
matters making this entirely irresponsible advice. First thing you do when
you have a raw diet gone wrong, is you get the raw diet fadders screaming
at you for ruining their reputations.

Gwen Watson
2004-02-12 10:13:40 EST

diddy wrote:

> Michael A. Ball <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in
>
> > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:17:49 +1000, "KayJay" <krystaljas@yahoo.com.au>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>{snip of even more dangerous amateurish rubbish} Try putting
> >>her on an all raw food diet and see if she improves
> >
> > I can't say the BARF diet is totally groundless, but I've read no
> > accounts of it restoring any senior, blind or deaf dogs.
> >
> > Some of you BARF proponents pass up no opportunity, regardless of how
> > callously inappropriate, to tout your craft.
> >
> > Michael
> > Whatever it takes.
>
> IAWTP 100%
> And Telling someone to put their dog on a raw diet without telling EXACTLY
> how, or warnings about how to do the studies to do it RIGHT, complicates
> matters making this entirely irresponsible advice. First thing you do when
> you have a raw diet gone wrong, is you get the raw diet fadders screaming
> at you for ruining their reputations.

:(

Gwen