Dog Discussion: Dog Obsessed With TV

Dog Obsessed With TV

Remi
2004-01-28 13:58:41 EST
My Dobie is obsessed with the TV and it's driving me crazy. Whenever the TV
is on she stands in front of it and watches it intently therby blocking my
view. If any animal, or picture of an animal appears, she barks and attacks
it. She also barks and attacks any quick movements like those that occur in
sports or when people are fighting. I have tried blocking her entrance to
the TV room, but she cries and I don't want to exclude her from family TV
time. I have also tried using a water gun, coins in a jar to make noise, and
keeping her on a leash while we watch TV. Nothing seems to work. I really
don't want to resort to a shock colar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

=22Rosa_Palm=E9n=22_=3Crosa=40no-s-p-am=2Elocomail=2Ecom=3E?=
2004-01-28 16:20:34 EST

"Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Dobie is obsessed with the TV and it's driving me crazy. Whenever the
TV
> is on she stands in front of it and watches it intently therby blocking my
> view. If any animal, or picture of an animal appears, she barks and
attacks
> it. She also barks and attacks any quick movements like those that occur
in
> sports or when people are fighting. I have tried blocking her entrance to
> the TV room, but she cries and I don't want to exclude her from family TV
> time. I have also tried using a water gun, coins in a jar to make noise,
and
> keeping her on a leash while we watch TV. Nothing seems to work. I really
> don't want to resort to a shock colar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hmm.. I remember seeing a tv program (it think it was british, called
"barking mad") where a family had the same problem. It's a while since I saw
it, so I don't remember exactly what their behaviourist /therapist /trainer
did.

However, as far as I remember, what they did was:
a) raised the tv ( ca 1- 1,5 feet higher than normal) - so it wasn't on the
dogs eye level anymore.
b) rattled a can _as soon as_ she started to bark/block the tv - and gave
the dog a "time out" baby gated in the next room when she got too obsessed.
(using a cue, for example "time-out")
c) gave her more mental and physical exercise so she had less energy to
focus on the tv.
d) they were very consistent in doing these things for atleast a couple of
weeks, to not let her slip into her old habits. (yeah, I bet it is more easy
to be strict and consistent when you know someone will be back with a camera
to check up on you in a couple of weeks *grin*)
e) they might also have tried using earphones, but that is hard if you
aren't watching tv alone.

Another thing that comes to mind is using a "stay" or "go to your own place"
command. If she knows "stay" and is reliable, then put her in a corner in
the room, preferably not overlooking the tv. You could also try to teach her
to go to her "own place" a bed or crate - also not overlooking the tv. If
she is truly obsessed it might be hard to get her to even listen to you - so
the rattle-can and time out might be better.

Hope some of this is useful. I might however remember everything wrong and
even misunderstood it in the first place, so no guarantees. Use your common
sense if you try these things - I don't think they should make things worse
for you, but I'm by no means an expert =).

Rosa

Remi
2004-01-28 16:31:35 EST
Thanks Rosa. Unfortunately she's too obsessed to obey the "stay" command,
ignores the rattle can, water gun etc, and as for raising the TV, although
it's a great suggestion, it's not practical in this case because it's a very
large, very heavy TV. So...back to the drawing board. She's a great dog,
perfect in every way, except for this TV obsession. Thanks again.

"Rosa Palm\ufffdn" <rosa@no-s-p-am.locomail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> command. If she knows "stay" and is reliable, then put her in a corner in
> the room, preferably not overlooking the tv. You could also try to teach
her
> to go to her "own place" a bed or crate - also not overlooking the tv. If
> she is truly obsessed it might be hard to get her to even listen to you -
so
> the rattle-can and time out might be better.
>
> Hope some of this is useful. I might however remember everything wrong and
> even misunderstood it in the first place, so no guarantees. Use your
common
> sense if you try these things - I don't think they should make things
worse
> for you, but I'm by no means an expert =).
>
> Rosa

=22Rosa_Palm=E9n=22_=3Crosa=40no-s-p-am=2Elocomail=2Ecom=3E?=
2004-01-28 16:55:36 EST

> Thanks Rosa. Unfortunately she's too obsessed to obey the "stay" command,
> ignores the rattle can, water gun etc, and as for raising the TV, although
> it's a great suggestion, it's not practical in this case because it's a
very
> large, very heavy TV. So...back to the drawing board. She's a great dog,
> perfect in every way, except for this TV obsession. Thanks again.

When you rattle the can, (keep it near wherever you sit when you watch tv)
you grab her collar and remove her for a "time-out" - that way she should
pretty soon start to get the idea of the rattle. If you already have a
rattle she is ignoring, make a new one with a different sound.
You don't have any low sturdy coffee table or such that you could put under
your tv's usual stand? Raid your own and friends and family's attics. After
all it would not have to be a for-ever solution. so even if it looks a bit
weird you would probably have to live with it for only a month or a couple
of months. =)

Rosa

Taylor
2004-01-28 17:26:59 EST
"Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<BDTRb.320178$ts4.126254@pd7tw3no>...
> My Dobie is obsessed with the TV and it's driving me crazy. Whenever the TV
> is on she stands in front of it and watches it intently therby blocking my
> view. If any animal, or picture of an animal appears, she barks and attacks
> it. She also barks and attacks any quick movements like those that occur in
> sports or when people are fighting. I have tried blocking her entrance to
> the TV room, but she cries and I don't want to exclude her from family TV
> time. I have also tried using a water gun, coins in a jar to make noise, and
> keeping her on a leash while we watch TV. Nothing seems to work. I really
> don't want to resort to a shock colar. Any suggestions? Thanks.

She needs her own TV. Why not. It doesn't have to be a big screen one...

Remi
2004-01-28 18:44:46 EST
If I get her her own TV she'll want cable. Seriously, I don't think it would
work because she'll still want to be with us when we watch TV.Thanks for the
suggestion.

"Taylor" <allena@aol.com> wrote in message
> "Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > My Dobie is obsessed with the TV and it's driving me crazy. Whenever the
TV
> > is on she stands in front of it and watches it intently therby blocking
my
> > view. If any animal, or picture of an animal appears, she barks and
attacks
> > it. She also barks and attacks any quick movements like those that occur
in
> > sports or when people are fighting. I have tried blocking her entrance
> > the TV room, but she cries and I don't want to exclude her from family
TV
> > time. I have also tried using a water gun, coins in a jar to make noise,
and
> > keeping her on a leash while we watch TV. Nothing seems to work. I
really
> > don't want to resort to a shock colar. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> She needs her own TV. Why not. It doesn't have to be a big screen one...

=22Rosa_Palm=E9n=22_=3Crosa=40no-s-p-am=2Elocomail=2Ecom=3E?=
2004-01-28 19:02:41 EST
Hmm... what about recording some really boring program and let her watch
that untill she gets bored? =)

> If I get her her own TV she'll want cable. Seriously, I don't think it
would
> work because she'll still want to be with us when we watch TV.Thanks for
the
> suggestion.
>

> "Taylor" <allena@aol.com> wrote in message
> > "Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > My Dobie is obsessed with the TV and it's driving me crazy. Whenever
the
> TV
> > > is on she stands in front of it and watches it intently therby
blocking
> my
> > > view. If any animal, or picture of an animal appears, she barks and
> attacks
> > > it. She also barks and attacks any quick movements like those that
occur
> in
> > > sports or when people are fighting. I have tried blocking her entrance
> > > the TV room, but she cries and I don't want to exclude her from family
> TV
> > > time. I have also tried using a water gun, coins in a jar to make
noise,
> and
> > > keeping her on a leash while we watch TV. Nothing seems to work. I
> really
> > > don't want to resort to a shock colar. Any suggestions? Thanks.
> >
> > She needs her own TV. Why not. It doesn't have to be a big screen
one...

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-28 19:14:52 EST
BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> [...]
your own place"
> command. If she knows "stay" and is reliable, then put her in a
corner in
> the room, preferably not overlooking the tv. You could also try
to teach her
> to go to her "own place" a bed or crate - also not overlooking
the tv. If
> she is truly obsessed it might be hard to get her to even listen
to you - so
> the rattle-can and time out might be better.
>
> Hope some of this is useful. I might however remember everything
wrong and
> even misunderstood it in the first place, so no guarantees. Use
your common
> sense if you try these things - I don't think they should make
things worse
> for you, but I'm by no means an expert =).

Remi
2004-01-28 19:22:13 EST
Not a bad idea. I'd have to cut out the commercials because they're
deadly -- so many ads have animals in them. She doesn't even seem bored with
some of the political talk shows I watch. Thanks.

> Hmm... what about recording some really boring program and let her watch
> that untill she gets bored? =)
>
> "Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If I get her her own TV she'll want cable. Seriously, I don't think it
> would
> > work because she'll still want to be with us when we watch TV.Thanks for
> the
> > suggestion.
> >

> > "Taylor" <allena@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > "Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the
> > TV
> blocking
> > my
> > attacks
> occur
> > in
> > TV
> noise,
> > and
> > really
> > >
> > > She needs her own TV. Why not. It doesn't have to be a big screen
> one...

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-28 19:39:22 EST
HOWEDY rosa,

> "Remi" <csbaran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > Thanks Rosa.

Seems rosa filled your head full of HORSESHIT, remi.

> > Unfortunately she's too obsessed to obey the "stay"
> > command,

Unfortunately every thing you've done and
have been advised to do will REINFORCE
your dog's OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE
behavior problem, remi.

> > ignores the rattle can,

THAT'S on accHOWENT of you're using
it as an AVERSIVE, remi. THAT'S HOWE
COME your dog GOT OCD behavior problems.

> > water gun etc,

ALL behavior problems are CAUSED BY MISHANDLING.

> > and as for raising the TV, although it's a great suggestion,

No, it's not a "great" suggestion, it's a last ditch
effort cause your pal rosa GOT NO METHOD
to TRAIN the dog NOT to do his OCD behaviors.

> > it's not practical in this case

Using AVERSIVES is NEVER practical
CAUSE IT DON'T WORK, remi.

> > because it's a very large, very heavy TV.

And you're rather STUPID. You've been reading
HOWER DOG ABUSERS forums for a year,remi.

YOU GOT YOUR JUST DESSERTS.

> > So...back to the drawing board.

BWWEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> > She's a great dog,

Yeah. They ALL are, remi. Too bad your dog
is owned be a self concerned selfish dog abusing
punk thug coward, and probably a MENTAL CASE.

> > perfect in every way,

EXXXCEPT that she's owned by a dog abusin punk
thug coward who PREFERS to HURT and INTIMIDATE
his dog, remi. That's HOWE COME The Puppy Wizard
works 24/7 to IDENTIFY EXXXPOSE and DISCREDIT
you and your lying dog abusing punk thug coward
MENTALLY ILL pals, like rosa and diddler and the rest.

> > except for this TV obsession.

Yeah. Your dog is JUST STARTING his OCD behaviors.
You'll be having MOORE problems than you can punish.

> > Thanks again.

You're welcome!

> When you rattle the can,

YOU SCARE THE DOG, and THAT INCREASES
anxiHOWESNESS and CAUSES OCD behaviors.

> (keep it near wherever you sit when you watch tv)

So the dog is ALWAYS IN FEAR.

> you grab her collar

To REINFORCE her BAD BEHAVIOR.

> and remove her for a "time-out" -

BWEEHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

That'll REINFORCE the BAD BEHAVIOR!
The dog will DO the BAD BEHAVIOR JUST
SO YOU CAN PAY IT ATTENTION of PUNISHING
and locking IT in a box.

> that way she should pretty soon start to

BARK WHEN THE T.V. IS OFF, you freakin
dog abuser.

> get the idea of the rattle.

INDEED! Then the OCD will CHANGE to
FEAR OF THUNDER and destructive
separation anxiety or self mutilation.

> If you already have a rattle she is ignoring,
> make a new one with a different sound.

BWEEEHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

The only RATTLE is the DEATH RATTLE of
HOWER lying dog abusing punk thug cowards
fallin on The Puppy Wizard's horns.

> You don't have any low sturdy coffee table or
> such that you could put under your tv's usual
> stand? Raid your own and friends and family's
> attics. After all it would not have to be a for-ever
> solution.

BWEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> so even if it looks a bit weird you would
> probably have to live with it for only a
> month or a couple of months. =)

And that ain't gonna work, to boot.

> Rosa

Good bye, rosa. The Puppy Wizard sez
you can't post here abHOWETS noMOORE.

The Puppy Wizard. <{}; ~ ) >

<"Terri"@cyberhighway

> Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
> He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
> watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
> Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
> come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs
since I freely admit to having read and, I hope,
understood enough of the manual and it's counterparts by
John Fisher and the posts of Marilyn Rammell to believe
and use it.

This naive child would like to say thank you to both
Jerry and Marilyn for putting up with a constant barrage
of really infantile crap at the hands of supposedly
adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the
nagging idea that if people like them had been posting
earlier, maybe we would not have had to hold the head
of a really magnificent animal in our arms while he was
given the needle and having to hug him and wait until he
gasped his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog
into good behavior. Naive is believing that people that
hide behind fake names are more honest than people that
use their real names. Naive is thinking that dilettante
dog breeders and amateur "trainers" like Joey
(lyingdogDUMMY, j.h.) are the equal or better than
those that have studied and lived by their craft for
decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing
that people like Jerry Howe and Marilyn Rammell are
going to just go away because you people act like fools.

Why do you act like fools? I really have no idea, and I
don't really care.

> And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and
> actually admit to buying and having success with his
> little black box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and
take it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and
testing. You would never believe the results, so you'll
never know.

> Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
> Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming
> to him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve,
eh? As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

>Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to
listen to the box first?)