Dog Discussion: Puppy Will Not Stop Digging Holes

Puppy Will Not Stop Digging Holes
Posts: 9

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Sharon Dunne
2004-01-27 23:47:39 EST
Hi,

I have just recently acquired a 9 month old puppy to look after for the next
couple of months. But I cannot get him to stop digging holes in the
backyard.

One hole has to be nearly a foot deep, we fill it in, he digs it up. It
isn't as if he is burying bones or anything, I am not too sure why he is
doing it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, it is quite dangerous walking
out the back at night.

Many thanks,


Sharon.






The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-28 00:50:43 EST
HOWEDY Sharon,

"Sharon Dunne" <shardunne@xxxxozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:p9HRb.153$Tl6.2701@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> Hi,
>
> I have just recently acquired a 9 month old puppy
> to look after for the next couple of months.

Good for you.

> But I cannot get him to stop digging holes in the backyard.

Some digging is for play. Most digging is an
anxiHOWESNESS releif mechanism.

> One hole has to be nearly a foot deep,

That's probably for fun.

> we fill it in, he digs it up.

ENJOY!

> It isn't as if he is burying bones or anything,
> I am not too sure why he is doing it.

He does that cause it's FUN.

> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

We can break any behavior in a couple minutes
if you follow the instructions in your FREE copy
of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End
Dog Training Method Manual.

> it is quite dangerous walking out the back at night.

NO PROBLEM!

> Many thanks,

You're welcome!

> Sharon.

Respect... "It Can Be Really Funny To Watch Shove
His Nose Into The Water; Hold Him There Till He Is
Sure He's Drowning "I LOVE This One. It's VERY
Effective, It Absolutely Doesn't Interfere In Your
Relationship With Your Dog, And Is EASY And
QUICK," dogman aka lyingdogDUMMY aka joey
finnochiarrio, aka tommy soronson, soronson's
puppy mill and cock fight farm, MO, USA.

Hello People,

"Cindy" <tittle@bermuda.io.com> wrote in message
news:UShK7.26710$uB.4983416@bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com...
> In article
> <22809-3BF98FDD-4@storefull-116.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
>
> Chris Williams <k9apple@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> > Odd, too, that after millennia of stumbling toward
> > civilization, we have troglodytes still convinced
> > that "might makes right."

> Yes, like people who approve of those who attack
> others for possessing an ecollar.
> --Cindy

This same tactic is taught by cindymooreon on her
"faq" page on k9web, lying "I LOVE KOEHLER" lynn
at their Bay Area GSD shelters, and lying frosty dahl,
marquis de "read koehler for content" shaw..., professor
"scruff shake" dermer, professora "chin chuck absolutely
doesn't mean slap" gingold, ron hardin, and much, much
moore. j;~}

From: Dogman (dogman@i1.net)
Date: 1997/11/01
On a cold day in Hell, 31 Oct 1997 23:50:55 GMT,
d*h@aol.com (Dogpsych) wrote:

[...]

>Koehler's Usefulness: Digging
>
> If you come home and find your dog has dug a hole, fill the
> hole brimful of water. With the training collar and leash,
> bring the dog to the hole and shove his nose into the water;
> hold him there until he is sure he's drowning. If your dog
> is of any size, you may get all of the action of a cowboy
> bull-dogging a steer.

> Stay with it. I've had elderly ladies who'd had their
> fill of ruined flower beds dunk some mighty big dogs.
> A great many dogs will associate this horrible experience
> with the hole they dug.
>
> It is not necessary to *catch the dog in the act* in
> any of the above instances of correction. Be
> consistent in your corrections and your dog will
> come to find the smell of freshly dug earth quite
> repugnant.

I LOVE this one. It's VERY effective, it absolutely doesn't
interfere in your relationship with your dog, and is EASY and
QUICK to do. And it can be really funny to watch. Yes, there
are other methods that work, for example the stake-in-the-
ground method that Koehler also describes, balloons in the
water, etc.

The point here is that you have a CHOICE. If your flowers,
yard, etc., are no big deal to you, don't even worry about it.
Live with the destruction, give him an area of his own to
"destroy," etc. Whatever. But if you're one of those people
who spends a lot of time and MONEY on your landscaping
and grounds, give it a try. It works!

No, there is no reason for you to "drown" your dog! Hyperbole
is just that. Hyperbole! Don't let it cloud your common
sense.

Usually within seconds, the dog will start to struggle.
That's what you want him to do: THINK he is about to drown,
not actually drown. Hold him there for another few seconds and
then release him. And I've never known of a dog to even
attempt to bite during this procedure. Normally they'll just
shake it off and start AVOIDING ANY HOLES -- almost
immediately.

Now folks, what's the worst thing that happened to this dog?
Was it injured in any way? Absolutely not. Was he startled?
Absolutely. That's what AVERSIVES are supposed to do. This
procedure works in the same way that snake-proofing a dog with
an electronic collar works. Or to prevent dogs from chasing
deer, etc. And if you think you can make your dog, say, avoid
POISONOUS snakes using only positive reinforce, I've got some
beach-front property in Kansas I can sell you cheap.

Are flowers and backyards a matter of life and death.
Probably not -- unless the dog ends up at the vet's because of
it. But SOME people, unable to otherwise "cure" this
hole-digging, will simply take their dog to the vet's to be
euthanized.

Don't believe that?

Go down to your shelter or rescue group and ASK
them the reasons that people turn in dogs. Maybe
YOU wouldn't do it, but a lot of folks would.

There aren't approximately 5 million dogs put to
death each year (in the US alone) for no reason,
are there?

So folks, yes...YOU decide for yourself. If this seems
"cruel" to you, just don't do it. But don't think about
getting an abortion, either.

> Who is cruel to a dog, is more cruel thereby to
> his own soul. --Will Judy

Whosoever refuses to punish a dog for behavior that can get it
KILLED has no heart whatsoever and will go straight to hell.

--Dogman

> "So grab the line and give him about 5 minutes
> of the hardest tanning you can administer. Use
> a belt heavy enough to make him really feel your
> efforts." --William Koehler



Diana
2004-01-28 04:28:08 EST

"Sharon Dunne" <shardunne@xxxxozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:p9HRb.153$Tl6.2701@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> Hi,
>
> I have just recently acquired a 9 month old puppy to look after for the
next
> couple of months. But I cannot get him to stop digging holes in the
> backyard.
>
> One hole has to be nearly a foot deep, we fill it in, he digs it up. It
> isn't as if he is burying bones or anything, I am not too sure why he is
> doing it.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, it is quite dangerous
walking
> out the back at night.
>
> Many thanks,
>

Puppy's dig - mine loves digging and I am afraid it is all part of being a
dog. Expecting him not to dig at all is a little unfair but you can give him
a digging area, by leading him back to his appropriate area when you catch
him at it, and praising him profusely when he digs there. Maybe even drop a
few treats in to the ground for him so he keeps finding nice things in his
diggy hole.

I'm unfortunate in that I can't let my pup use the garden due to the
layout - so I take her out on walks and allow her to dig where appropriate.
Digging indoors on carpet is obviously not allowed, but my pup is allowed to
dig in to her vetbed.

Of course, if you are leaving him out there alone unsupervised, there is
really little you can do about it - with puppies, it is all about
interaction, supervision and training from morning to night - hard work, I
know!

Diana



The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-28 05:55:53 EST
HOWEDY lush,

"Diana" <diana@dogstuffagain.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
news:bv7vbg$o17$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "Sharon Dunne" <shardunne@xxxxozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> news:p9HRb.153$Tl6.2701@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just recently acquired a 9 month old puppy
> > to look after for the next couple of months. But I
> > cannot get him to stop digging holes in the backyard.
>
> Puppy's dig -

Most digging is an anxiety relief mechanism
caused by MISHANDLING, lush.

> mine loves digging

You're a dog abuser, lush. You've got a very
long history of abusing and being abused.

> and I am afraid it is all part of being a dog.

No lush. It's all part of being ABUSED by
a coward, a liar and a mental case, lush.

> Expecting him not to dig at all is a little unfair

No it ain't UNFAIR, lush. UNFAIR is HURTIN
and INTIMIDATING your dog, lush.

> but you can give him a digging area,

He's got WON. He's got that WON big hole
he LIKES to dig in.

> by leading him back to his appropriate area

The pup has selected his excavation site.

> when you catch him at it,

No lush. CATCHING the dog will teach him
to DO THAT so you can CATCH HIM, lush.
THAT'S HOWE COME punisment doesn't
work, lush. You're a liar and a dog abuser
and a mental case, lush.

> and praising him profusely when he digs there.

That'll distract him from the approved digging site.

> Maybe even drop a few treats in to the ground
> for him so he keeps finding nice things in his
> diggy hole.

Yeah. GOOD LUCK.

> I'm unfortunate in that I

You are a MENTAL CASE.

> can't let my pup use the garden due to the layout -

CAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A FENCE.

> so I take her out on walks and allow her to dig
> where appropriate.

BWEEEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> Digging indoors on carpet is obviously not allowed,

Yeah. Imagine.

> but my pup is allowed to dig in to her vetbed.

You're a MENTAL CASE, lush.

> Of course, if you are leaving him out there
> alone unsupervised, there is really little you
> can do about it -

That's a LIE, lush. YOU don't know HOWE to
train your dog, that's HOWE COME YOU HURT
HIM.

> with puppies,

A dog is a dog, lush.

> it is all about interaction,

BWEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

> supervision

BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> and training

YOUR HURT YOUR DOG TO TRAIN IT.

> from morning to night - hard work,

No lush. Your dog is a behavior problem
cause YOU ABUSE HIM.

> I know!

You're a MENTAL CASE, lush.

> Diana

Oh, bye the bye, you can't post here abHOWETS
nogoddamnedMOORE cause you're a liar a dog
abuser and a MENTAL CASE, lush.

The Puppy Wizard. <{}; ~ ) >


<"Terri"@cyberhighway

> Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
> He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
> watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
> Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
> come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs
since I freely admit to having read and, I hope,
understood enough of the manual and it's counterparts by
John Fisher and the posts of Marilyn Rammell to believe
and use it.

This naive child would like to say thank you to both
Jerry and Marilyn for putting up with a constant barrage
of really infantile crap at the hands of supposedly
adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the
nagging idea that if people like them had been posting
earlier, maybe we would not have had to hold the head
of a really magnificent animal in our arms while he was
given the needle and having to hug him and wait until he
gasped his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog
into good behavior. Naive is believing that people that
hide behind fake names are more honest than people that
use their real names. Naive is thinking that dilettante
dog breeders and amateur "trainers" like Joey
(lyingdogDUMMY, j.h.) are the equal or better than
those that have studied and lived by their craft for
decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing
that people like Jerry Howe and Marilyn Rammell are
going to just go away because you people act like fools.

Why do you act like fools? I really have no idea, and I
don't really care.

> And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and
> actually admit to buying and having success with his
> little black box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and
take it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and
testing. You would never believe the results, so you'll
never know.

> Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
> Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming
> to him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve,
eh? As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

>Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to
listen to the box first?)

====================



Diddy
2004-01-28 08:29:48 EST
"Sharon Dunne" <shardunne@xxxxozemail.com.au> wrote in
news:p9HRb.153$Tl6.2701@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au:

> Hi,
>
> I have just recently acquired a 9 month old puppy to look after for
> the next couple of months. But I cannot get him to stop digging holes
> in the backyard.
>
> One hole has to be nearly a foot deep, we fill it in, he digs it up.
> It isn't as if he is burying bones or anything, I am not too sure why
> he is doing it.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, it is quite dangerous
> walking out the back at night.
>
> Many thanks,
>
>
> Sharon.
This is a much asked question. I'm not condoning or approving any specific
method, but here are answers posted in the past.

Mulch the area where they are digging, go to a pet store and buy a can of
STOP, thats what they call it..spray it thickly on the mulch..the spray
contains something the dogs dont like and they stay away from the area..you
will need to spray every week or so, but I have found it to stop my dog..it
is designed as a dog repellant to be used inside to keep your dogs from
peeing or laying in certain areas.. try that. But in my experience
commercial sprays you can buy that have a supposedly offputting scent. In
my opinion these don't work very well.


Make a dog run where the dog can't dig when outside unattended. (When it's
attended, it isn't digging, right?) Line the floor with patio tiles and
viola! no holes. I fthe dog does this while attended: Put a few coins in a
soda can. Watch for the dog to commit the offense and shake the can really
hard up close to the dog. My friend, a brittany dog-trainer, uses this
technique when she kennels dogs for obedience training. The important
part here is that the "punishment" occurs when the offense occurs. Yes,
this method requires that you be present when the dog is digging, but
itworked so quickly and so effectively that in less than a week, the
digging behavior is usually extinguished. Behaviour modification is only
successful if you can link the offending behaviour with the correction in
the dog's mind. If you can't be there to witness the digging and therefore
correct physically (by voice or reprimand) then you need other ways.

Try burying a balloon full of pepper in a hole where you know he will dig
again. When dogs dig they make a few scratches (bang goes the balloon) and
then they stick their noses in to sniff (up their nose goes the pepper).
Drawbacks: this will stop a dog digging in a particular spot but it won't
stop him digging elsewhere.

Would it be possible to create an area where it might be appropriate for
the dogs to dig? (Perhaps a particular spot in part of the yard?)
Give/build a sandbox for your Diggin'Dawg. Just like the idea of giving
them toys that they CAN play with, this gives them a place where they CAN
dig. And since the sand is softer and inviting -- hopefully they will dig
there instead of the yard.

It might be easier for you to redirect the dogs' digging habit to an
appropriate area than try to stop it completely. To do this, you would
want to create a small area with a different surface than that of the rest
of the yard. You could use sand or pulverized granite, for example. If you
catch your dog digging redirect him to the appropriate area, and you can
make this area more fun for the dog by playing with them there and maybe
even burying treats.

The hardest part of this, though, is that the dogs would have to be kept
from digging in the inappropriate areas when not supervised (most likely by
denying them access to those areas), until they show a strong preference
for where they should be digging. Why? Digging is that it typically is
fun for the dogs! That is, the behavior itself is reinforcing. Each time
the dogs dig and have fun, it makes the behavior that much stronger for
them. You won't be able to provide a consequence after the fact-- they
wouldn't be able to associate the behavior of digging with the consequence
you provide.

If you punish them when they are caught 'in the act', they likely will
learn not to do it when people are around. In general, the act of digging
in an inappropriate area has to not be fun, whether or not there are people
around. This is the idea behind the chicken wire, but as you've found, if
the dogs don't have an appropriate outlet for their behavior, they'll just
choose another spot. The same often happens when you place the dogs'
feces, black pepper, or items like Snappy Trainers (TM) in the hole. It
will usually stop digging...for that hole only. When dogs are denied
access to something they find reinforcing, they often seek another way to
channel that energy. The idea behind a digging pit is to channel it to an
appropriate area where it would be ok to dig.

Be sure the dog is getting enough interaction and interactive play and
exercise. Dogs can dig more if they are bored or understimulated.

If you can't modify the bahaviour then you have to adapt. Put down brick
paving everywhere or just pretend that the holes are really very attractive
:-)

Here are a couple websites on digging. These methods also work, and none
of them involve putting the dog in fear of its life for engaging in
perfectly normal dog activity.

http://www.amrottclub.org/dig.html
http://www.healthypet.com/Library/behavior-1.html
http://www.doggiedoor.com/diggings.shtml

Assuming that he is digging just because he finds it fun the most effective
solution is to give him a digging spot. Supervise his outdoors time so you
can redirect him to the correct spot.

Avoid anxiety based digging by making sure that your dog can get inside the
den (house) whenever he feels anxious. Do not force him to stay outside
where he may feel unable to retreat to a place of safety. The dog's view,
not reality, will govern its reactions. If he feels anxious it won't
matter if there is cause in your eyes, he will react to try to deal with
that feeling. So set things up so the dog won't be anxious.

Avoid boredom digging by making sure the dog has regular walks away from
the home at least once a day. Make sure exercise is adequate. Remember to
make sure the mind also is adequately exercised. Several short training
sessions a day often makes a big difference. Also to the best of your
ability maximize the amount of time the dog spends in your physical
presence. And when you can't be physically present have things other than
digging to occupy his mind. See e.g.
http://www.dog-play.com/toys.html

Fill up a bunch of balloons, place them in the holes, cover them with dirt,
then when the dogs start digging, the claws make them pop. It takes about
one day to stop the digging and the dogs don't seem traumatized, just
bewildered.



Gwen Watson
2004-01-28 09:53:28 EST


diddy wrote:

> Try burying a balloon full of pepper in a hole where you know he will dig
> again. When dogs dig they make a few scratches (bang goes the balloon) and
> then they stick their noses in to sniff (up their nose goes the pepper).
> Drawbacks: this will stop a dog digging in a particular spot but it won't
> stop him digging elsewhere.
>

I have never heard of this method, but it sure sounds like it would work. I
often have
people who aren't dog owners ask me, how do you keep a dog
from digging in your lawn. I am going to remember this in the future.
Of course the dogs that are doing this should be kept home by
the owners but unfortunately some owners don't care enough
about their dogs or their neighbors landscaping.

Gwen




Diddy
2004-01-28 10:23:59 EST
Gwen Watson <gwen@ig.utexas.edu> wrote in
news:4017CCE8.346D01A8@ig.utexas.edu:

>
>
> diddy wrote:
>
>> Try burying a balloon full of pepper in a hole where you know he will
>> dig again. When dogs dig they make a few scratches (bang goes the
>> balloon) and then they stick their noses in to sniff (up their nose
>> goes the pepper). Drawbacks: this will stop a dog digging in a
>> particular spot but it won't stop him digging elsewhere.
>>
>
> I have never heard of this method, but it sure sounds like it would
> work. I often have
> people who aren't dog owners ask me, how do you keep a dog
> from digging in your lawn. I am going to remember this in the future.
> Of course the dogs that are doing this should be kept home by
> the owners but unfortunately some owners don't care enough
> about their dogs or their neighbors landscaping.
>
> Gwen
>
>
>
>

Frankly, Reka made my yard a moonscape. It was her yard! If making a
moonscape made her happy. I really didn't care. I won't mention the many
sprained ankles I got from mowing said moonscape when stepping in a
cleverly hidden hole. But that's another matter.
The lawn can be rolled, and reseeded. But during her interim, it's HERS.
All hers!
Actually, she seems to have outgrown it. But I never tried to stop her from
excavating the yard. In fact, I thought of renting out my home grown
excavation company. Guess i can't now, she seems to have gotten it out of
her system. She's three. (YMMV)

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-28 19:02:58 EST
HOWEDY diddler,

"diddy" <diddy@nospam.diddy.net> wrote in message
news:Xns947E56456A1FCdanny@216.196.97.132...
> "Sharon Dunne" <shardunne@xxxxozemail.com.au> wrote in
> news:p9HRb.153$Tl6.2701@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just recently acquired a 9 month old puppy
> > to look after for the next couple of months. But I
> > cannot get him to stop digging holes in the backyard.
>
> This is a much asked question.

Yeah? Perhaps that's on accHOWENT of you
and your ignorant lying dog abusing punk thug
coward MENALLY ILL pals CAN'T TRAIN your
dogs NOT to dig OR escape your SHOCK FENCES.

> I'm not condoning or approving any specific method,

You mean, the viciHOWES methods you're abHOWET
to SUGGEST, dog abuser?

> but here are answers posted in the past.

BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

> Mulch the area where they are digging,

The Puppy Wizard doesn't do yard work.

> go to a pet store and buy a can of STOP,

The Puppy Wizard doesn't recommend AVERSIVES.

> thats what they call it..

STUPID and CRUEL are what The Puppy Wizard calls it.

> spray it thickly on the mulch..

BWEEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

IT'S FROZEN, you freakin IMBECILE.

> the spray contains something the dogs
> dont like and they stay away from the area..

That so? If it WORKED, every DOG ABUSER
here would USE IT, diddler. You're a dog abuser
and a MENTAL CASE.

> You will need to spray every week or so,

You mean, instead of TRAINING the dog in
a couple minutes NOT TO DIG noMOORE?

> but I have found it to stop my dog..

That so?

> it is designed as a dog repellant to be used
> inside to keep your dogs from peeing or
> laying in certain areas.

BWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

You can't use an AVERSIVE on a anxiHOWES
behaivor problem cause THAT will make the
behaivor problem WORSE.

> try that.

You mean, dig up the frozen tundra and spray
stuff that DON'T WORK on it? You could get
MOORE mileage HOWETA usin black pepper,
dog abuser.

> But in my experience

Your EXXXPERIENCE is that of a MENTAL CASE
a LIAR and a DOG ABUSER.

> commercial sprays you can buy that have
> a supposedly offputting scent.

Like the aversive you recommended...

> In my opinion

You mean, in the opinion of a LIAR a DOG
ABUSER and a MENTAL CASE.

> these don't work very well.

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Perhaps she should mulch some dog poo in it?

> Make a dog run where the dog can't dig

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAA!!! That could cost
HUNDREDS of dollars and if the dog is a
digger he'll dig HOWET unless you pour
CEMENT, you freakin simpleton.

> when outside unattended.

BWEEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

You freakin simpleton! You couldn't even
train your dogs not to ESCAPE despite
your SHOCK FENCE!!! BWWHWHAHAAA!!!

> (When it's attended, it isn't digging, right?)

Only if she LETS him.

> Line the floor with patio tiles and viola! no holes.

BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

You been takin your psychotropic meds, diddler?

> If the dog does this while attended: Put a few
> coins in a soda can. Watch for the dog to commit
> the offense

Dogs and children DO NOT COMMIT OFFENSES,
diddler. Only adults and DOG ABUSERS commit
offenses. IN FACT, you ain't GUILTY of being an
animal ABUSER cause you're a MENTAL CASE.

> and shake the can really hard up close to the dog.

To make the dog TRUST you, diddler?

Teaching the dog to FEAR doing a behavior
when you are there to ABUSE IT teaches them
TO DO the behavior soon as THE ABUSER
turns her back, DOG ABUSER.

> My friend,

You ain't got no friends you inbred hypocrite.

> a brittany dog-trainer, uses this technique

You mean, your dog abuser pal uses aversive
sHOWENDS to INTIMIDATE dogs he's ABUSING.

> when she kennels dogs for obedience training.

BWEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> The important part here is that the "punishment"

Punishment DOESN'T WORK, diddler, or you
and your pals would be able to TRAIN your dogs.

> occurs when the offense occurs.

BUT ONLY WHEN THE ABUSER IS THERE
TO INTIMIDATE THE DOG, diddler.

Perhpas THAT'S HOWE COME you got a
RETARDED child, diddler. IT inherited MENTAL RETARDATION from
YOU, diddler. "The fruit
don't fall far from the goddamned fruitcake," The
Puppy Wizard's DADDY.

> Yes,

GUARANTEED, diddler.

> this method requires that you be present
> when the dog is digging, but it worked so
> quickly and so effectively that in less than
> a week,

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Takes a couple MINUTES maybe LESS to
break ANY behavior problem, if you know
HOWE, diddler. You're a MENTAL CASE.

> the digging behavior is usually extinguished.

The Puppy Wizard sez you're full of CRAP
cause the behavior will CONtinue when the
ABUSER ain't standing there ready to INTIMIDATE
the dog, diddler.

> Behaviour modification is only successful if
> you can link the offending behaviour with the
> correction in the dog's mind.

You MEAN, the dog will link the PUNISHMENT
with the ABUSER and will not DO the undesirable
behavior if the ABUSER is standing there ready
to ABUSE the dog. That's HOWE COME perry
aka bentcajungir's DEAD DOG Maggie ate Gorilly
Glue and GOT DEAD on her, diddler.

> If you can't be there to witness the digging

Then you'd not be able to use your AVERSIVES, diddler.

> and therefore correct physically

You mean HURT and INTIMIDATE the dog, diddler.

> (by voice or reprimand)

That would teach the dog to FEAR and MISTRUST
his ABUSER, diddler.

> then you need other ways.

The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End
Dog Training Method Manual Students REPORT
NEAR INSTANT SUCCESS for ALL behaviors
and ALL behavior problems cause they DON'T
DO any of the viciHOWES things you and your
LYING DOG ABUSING MENTALLY ILL PUNK
THUG COWARD pals DO to their dogs and try
to get HOWET callin THAT, trainin.

> Try burying a balloon full of pepper in a
> hole where you know he will dig again.

BWEEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

You mean instead of TRAININ the dog
NEARLY INSTANTLY withHOWET
HURTING or INTIMIDATING IT, diddler?

YOU'RE A MENTAL CASE, diddler.

> When dogs dig they make a few scratches

That so?

> (bang goes the balloon)

You're a DOG ABUSER, diddler.

> and then they stick their noses in to sniff
> (up their nose goes the pepper).

Wheee! That's FUN!

> Drawbacks:

Only WON drawback, diddler. You can't post
here abHOWETS nogoddamnedMOORE cause
you're a liar and a dog abuser and a MENTAL CASE.

> this will stop a dog digging in a particular
> spot but it won't stop him digging elsewhere.

BWEEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> Would it be possible to create an area where
> it might be appropriate for the dogs to dig?

BWEEEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> (Perhaps a particular spot in part of the yard?)

You mean, on the other side of the pepper, diddler?

> Give/build a sandbox for your Diggin'Dawg.

Or she could just TRAIN her dog NOT TO DIG
in a few minutes by following the INSTRUCTIONS
in her FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual.

> Just like the idea of giving them toys that they
> CAN play with,

You mean to stop destructive chewing, diddler?

THAT DOESN'T WORK, diddler.

> this gives them a place where they CAN dig.

Yeah. But THAT won't stop anxiHOWES diggin,
diddler, no MOORE than giving toys to break
destructive chewing works cause anxiHOWESS
diggin an chewin ain't PLAY, you freakin simpleton.

> And since the sand is softer and inviting -

You're blowin smoke up HOWER arses, diddler.

> - hopefully they will dig there instead of the yard.

"Hopefully???" Dog trainin ain't LUCK, diddler.
"Luck is for SUCKERS," The Puppy Wizard's DADDY.

> It might be easier for you to redirect the dogs'
> digging habit to an appropriate area than try
> to stop it completely.

BWEEEAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

That'll ONLY work if the dog is diggin for FUN.

> To do this, you would want to create a small
> area with a different surface than that of the rest
> of the yard.

That so? You think a few truckloads of turf would
do the trick? Just landscape the yard arHOWEND
the diggin pit area, eh diddler?

> You could use sand or pulverized granite for example.

Well diddler, we're certainly LUCKY you know
MOORE abHOWET landscaping than dog trainin
cause your dog trainin is ABUSE.

> If you catch your dog digging redirect him
> to the appropriate area,

Perhaps she should serve tea in the diggin pit area?

> and you can make this area more fun for the dog

Yeah, FUN!

> by playing with them there and maybe even burying treats.

The dog might not LIKE that if his owner followed
your advice above, diddler.

> The hardest part of this, though,

Is realizing you're a FRAUD a MENTAL CASE
a LIAR and a DOG ABUSER.

> is that the dogs would have to be kept
> from digging in the inappropriate areas
> when not supervised

BWEEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

You're waltzin us by HOWER willie's, diddler.

> (most likely by denying them access to those areas),

You think she should build a fence arHOWEND
the digging pit, diddler? Suppose the dog digs
HOWET? You think she should build a fence
arHOWEND a cemented diggin area so the dog
won't ESCAPE like your dogs do, and dig up the
rest of her landscaped yard, diddler?

THAT'S the only sensible solution, diddler.

> until they show a strong preference for where
> they should be digging.

HOWE abHOWET if they just prefer the dog
NOT DIG, diddler? We're back to the pepper
and baloons, eh? Or the mulch and weekly
spray that DOESN'T WORK, eh diddler?

> Why?

You mean, HOWE COME, diddler.

> Digging is that it typically is fun for the dogs!

No, digging is typically an anxiHOWESNESS
RELIEF MECHANISM from being ABUSED, diddler.

> That is, the behavior itself is reinforcing.

Cut the crap, diddler. Almost any behavior
is self reinforcing or we wouldn't DO them.
Would we, diddler.

> Each time the dogs dig

YOU GOTTA HURT THEM or you've
VARIABLY REINFORCED the undesirable
behavior problem, diddler. THAT'S HOWE
COME you punks can't break a dog of EATIN
POISON no goddamned better than you can
stop them from ESCAPING your SHOCK FENCE
or stealin your mentally retarded spawn's breakfast.

> and have fun,

Most digging is from ANXIHOWESNESS, diddler.

> it makes the behavior that much stronger for them.

NO, diddler. Self reinforcing FUN ain't what causes
you to not be able to TRAIN a dog, diddler. NOT
BEING ABLE to HURT and INTIMIDATE your dog
EVERY TIME IT DOES a BAD behavior is what
VARIABLY REINFORCES the undesirable behavior.

> You won't be able to provide a consequence

You mean HURT the dog, diddler.

> after the fact-

The Puppy Wizard teaches HIS FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
HOWE to address undesirable behaviors, before
or after the FACT, diddler, withHOWE HURTIN
noWON EXXXCEPT dog abusers and MENTAL
CASES like you and your pals, diddler.

> - they wouldn't be able to associate the behavior
> of digging with the consequence you provide.

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Perhaps that's on accHOWENT of dogs ain't
as SMART as you and can't GENERALIZE a
behavior, diddler/

> If you punish them when they are caught 'in
> the act', they likely will learn not to do it when
> people are around.

INDEEDY! That's HOWE COME your PUNISMENT
DOESN'T WORK, diddler.

> In general,

SPECIFICALLY, you're a liar and a dog abuser
and a goddamned MENTAL CASE, diddler.

> the act of digging in an inappropriate area
> has to not be fun, whether or not there are
> people around.

Most digging is an anxiety relief mechanism,
diddler. That MEANS there's no benefit for
the dog OTHER THAN relief throuugh the
anxiHOWES behavior. REPRESSING that
anxiHOWES behavior will cause the behavior
to CHANGE to other, seemingly non related,
probably worse, behaviors as trainsfer or
replacement behaviors.

> This is the idea behind the chicken wire,

You mean burying chicken wire? Dogs tear
through chicken wire like toilet paper, diddler.

> but as you've found, if the dogs don't have
> an appropriate outlet for their behavior,

That's ABSURD, diddler. You're blowin smoke
up HOWER arses cause you're a goddamned
dog abusing lying punk thug coward MENTAL
CASE, diddler and you ain't got NO METHOD
to train a dog not to dig or escape your shock
fence, diddler.

> they'll just choose another spot.

UNLESS the dog is digging for FUN. Then
you can break it EZ, just like as if the dog
is digging from anxiHOWESNESS. It's all
the same same same same, diddler. But
you gotta know HOWE to train a dog withHOWET
HURTING and INTIMIDATING IT, diddler.

> The same often happens when you place the
> dogs' feces, black pepper, or items like Snappy
> Trainers (TM) in the hole.

BWEEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> It will usually stop digging...for that hole only.

You can't post here abHOWETS
nogoddamnedMOORE, diddler.

> When dogs are denied access to something
> they find reinforcing, they often seek another
> way to channel that energy.

All behavior problems are caused by mishandling, diddler.

> The idea behind a digging pit is to channel it to an
> appropriate area where it would be ok to dig.

It would be EZier to NOT allHOWE any digging, diddler.
Too bad YOU GOT NO METHOD to train a dog not to
dig, diddler.

> Be sure the dog is getting enough interaction
> and interactive play

You HURT and INTIMIDATE your dogs, diddler
THAT'S HOWE COME they ESCAPE your shock
fence and dig holes.

> and exercise.

Dogs DO NOT need EXXXERCISE to control
anxiHOWES behaviors, diddler. They need to
be RELIEVED of ABUSE that CAUSES hyperactive
behavior, diddler.

> Dogs can dig more if they are bored or understimulated.

Bored dogs SLEEP, you freakin mental midget.

> If you can't modify the bahaviour

You mean, after all your BRILLIANT advice to HURT IT?

> then you have to adapt.

BWEEEEHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> Put down brick paving everywhere

BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> or just pretend that the holes are really very attractive :-)

The OP doesn't want to FALL INTO the hole and
break a leg, diddler. Suppose she does break a
leg, diddler? You gonna volunteer to shoot her
like you did that hungry dog in your trash can,
diddler?

> Here are a couple websites on digging.

Cut the crap you freakin retarded dog abusin
lying punk thug coward.

> These methods also work,

You mean, unlike the advice you just gave?

> and none of them involve putting the dog
> in fear of its life for engaging in perfectly
> normal dog activity.

You mean, unlike the advice you just gave, diddler?

<snip links>

The Puppy Wizard will review the links
and report on their EFFECTIVENESS
and HUMANENESS.

> Assuming that he is digging just because
> he finds it fun the most effective solution
> is to give him a digging spot.

You've repeated yourself three times, diddler
Your nickle has run HOWET. You can't post
here abHOWETS nogoddamnedMOORE.

> Supervise his outdoors time so you
> can redirect him to the correct spot.

But the dog will STILL DIG when you're
not there to intimidate and hurt IT.

> Avoid anxiety based digging by making
> sure that your dog can get inside the
> den (house) whenever he feels anxious.

THAT'S INSANE, diddler. The dog ain't
gonna run inside when IT feels the NEED
to dig, diddler.

> Do not force him to stay outside where he
> may feel unable to retreat to a place of safety.

That's INSANE, diddler.

> The dog's view,

You're a MENTAL CASE, diddler.

> not reality, will govern its reactions.

You're a blowhard, a liar, a dog abuser,
and a MENTAL CASE, diddler.

> If he feels anxious it won't matter if there is
> cause in your eyes, he will react to try to deal
> with that feeling.

You freakin imbecile. It'd take less time to
TRAIN the dog than it took for The Puppy
Wizard to EXXXPOSE you as a dog abuser
a liar and a goddamend MENTAL CASE.

> So set things up so the dog won't be anxious.

GOOD IDEA, diddler. All you gotta do is kill yourself.

> Avoid boredom digging

Bored dogs SLEEP, you freakin retard.

> by making sure the dog has regular walks
> away from the home at least once a day.

Hey, that might satisfy your retardes spawn,
but it won't have no bearing on a dog, diddler,
IN FACT, when you take your dog HOWET on
a pronged spiked pinch choke collar THAT'S
what makes them HYPERACTIVE.

> Make sure exercise is adequate.

Dogs do not need exercise to expiate anxiety,
diddler. They need NOT TO BE HURT by liars
dog abusers punks thugs and cowardly mentally
ill sadists like you, diddler.

> Remember to make sure the mind also is
> adequately exercised.

BWEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Like that kat you ran through a snare noose
the size of a dime, diddler?

> Several short training sessions a day often
> makes a big difference.

Yeah... THAT'S HOWE COME your dogs ESCAPE
your shock fence and dig holes, diddler.

> Also to the best of your ability maximize the
> amount of time the dog spends in your physical
> presence.

That'll make the dog PARANOID if IT is abused
like HOWE you abuse dogs, diddler.

> And when you can't be physically present have
> things other than digging to occupy his mind.

You could leave your retard kid with IT for company.

> See e.g.
> http://www.dog-play.com/toys.html

Oh? That's Master Of Deception blankman's
viciHOWES website. She's a liar and dog
abuser and MENTAL CASE just like you, diddler.

> Fill up a bunch of balloons, place them in the
> holes, cover them with dirt, then when the
> dogs start digging, the claws make them pop.
> It takes about one day to stop the digging and
> the dogs don't seem traumatized, just bewildered.

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Better fill them with pepper, diddler.

The Puppy Wizard. <{}; ~ ) >



The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-28 19:12:46 EST
FOLLOW-UP:

"diddy" <diddy@nospam.diddy.net> wrote in message
news:Xns947E699CFDF2Ddanny@216.196.97.132...
> Gwen Watson <gwen@ig.utexas.edu> wrote in
> news:4017CCE8.346D01A8@ig.utexas.edu:
>
> >
> >
> > diddy wrote:
> >
> >> Try burying a balloon full of pepper in a hole where you
> >> know he will dig again. When dogs dig they make a few
> >> scratches (bang goes the balloon) and then they stick
> >> their noses in to sniff (up their nose goes the pepper).
> >> Drawbacks: this will stop a dog digging in a particular
> >> spot but it won't stop him digging elsewhere.
> >>
> >
> > I have never heard of this method, but it sure
> > sounds like it would work. I often have people
> > who aren't dog owners ask me, how do you
> > keep a dog from digging in your lawn.
>
> > I am going to remember this in the future. Of
> > course the dogs that are doing this should
> > be kept home by the owners but unfortunately
> > some owners don't care enough about their
> > dogs or their neighbors landscaping.
>
> > Gwen
>
> Frankly, Reka made my yard a moonscape. It was her yard! If
> making a moonscape made her happy. I really didn't care. I
> won't mention the many sprained ankles I got from mowing
> said moonscape when stepping in a cleverly hidden hole. But
> that's another matter. The lawn can be rolled, and reseeded.
> But during her interim, it's HERS. All hers!

> Actually, she seems to have outgrown it. But I never tried
> to stop her from excavating the yard. In fact, I thought of
> renting out my home grown excavation company. Guess i can't
> now, she seems to have gotten it out of her system. She's
> three. (YMMV)


Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron