Dog Discussion: Wound Licking

Wound Licking

Seashells
2004-01-22 13:27:41 EST
Hi

Got a 8 year old Kelpie X Lab who got a bad deep scrap to her paw 12 months ago.

Since then she has lick her paw and made the wound worse...it's crated and we
have had her to the vet...tried creams and bandaging (She rips them off!),
recently had her wearing a plastic bucket...which did guard her for a while but
it's been 2 months and she has managed to get at her paw again!

Vets can't offer much...it's her behavior.

Was thinking of something we could put on her wound to discourage
licking...maybe on a dressing so she dosen't rip it off?

Help from Australia!

Thank you
Cheers
Seashells

seashells61(NOSPAM).optusnet.com.au
(Remove (NOSPAM) to reply)

Illawarra, NSW, NSW, Australia

My website

http://members.fortunecity.com/nightstick

http://mountainsplace.envy.nu

Amy & Phil Fernandes
2004-01-22 15:50:33 EST
Hello,

You can try spraying a preparation on the wound/dressing called 'bitter
apple' it tastes nasty and dogs don't like it. However, if the dog is
persistent enough he won't care and will go at the wound anyway. The 'cone'
or elizabethan collar is the best way to go and when you are supervising you
could even try using a basket style muzzle to keep the dog away from it.

hope this helps
sincerely
Amy 'the dog lady'

"seashells" <seashells61@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Got a 8 year old Kelpie X Lab who got a bad deep scrap to her paw 12
months ago.

> Since then she has lick her paw and made the wound worse...it's crated and
we
> have had her to the vet...tried creams and bandaging (She rips them off!),
> recently had her wearing a plastic bucket...which did guard her for a
while but
> it's been 2 months and she has managed to get at her paw again!
>
> Vets can't offer much...it's her behavior.
>
> Was thinking of something we could put on her wound to discourage
> licking...maybe on a dressing so she dosen't rip it off?
>
> Help from Australia!
>
> Thank you
> Cheers
> Seashells
>
> seashells61(NOSPAM).optusnet.com.au
> (Remove (NOSPAM) to reply)
>
> Illawarra, NSW, NSW, Australia
>
> My website
>
> http://members.fortunecity.com/nightstick
>
> http://mountainsplace.envy.nu

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-22 17:04:37 EST
HOWEDY amy & phil FRAUD,

"Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> You can try spraying a preparation on the
> wound/dressing called 'bitter apple'

You mean, INSTEAD of TRAINING the dog
not to DO THAT noMOORE, NEARLY INSTANTLY,
as The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End
Dog Training Method Manual Students REPORT
RIGHT HERE???

> it tastes nasty

You LIKE being NASTY to dogs?

You SEEM as though you LIKE being NASTY
to dogs from your advice to JERK and CHOKE
the dog for being anxiHOWES riding in the car.
Remember? HOWE COME would a dog lover
and university trained behaviorist want to HURT
a dog to make it CALM?

> and dogs don't like it.

Dogs don't like most of what you do to them,
amy & phil FRAUD. You think dogs LIKE being
locked in boxes and having their water withhled
so you can HOWEsbreak them?

> However,

You mean HOWEver, university graduate.
GET IT STRAIGHT on The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Forums or get the heel HOWETA here.

> if the dog is persistent enough he won't care

INDEEDY. So you got NO ADVICE.

In fact, there's only WON aversive The Puppy
Wizard knows that's proven 100% EFFECTIVE,
when necessary, and while used in conjunction
with The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual.

> and will go at the wound anyway.

Yeah. You got any MOORE advice?

> The 'cone' or elizabethan collar is the best way to go

You mean, when you ain't got the INTELLECT to
HOWEtwit the cunning of the domestic puppy dog
CAUSE YOU AINT GOT NO METHOD to TRAIN
the dog NOT TO DO THAT, or ANY behavior.

Isn't that correct, amy & phil FRAUD EXXXPERTS?

> and when you are supervising you
> could even try using a basket style
> muzzle to keep the dog away from it.

You mean INSTEAD of TRAINING IT not to
WANT to chew his foot, NEARLY INSTANTLY
and FOR FREE, withHOWET HURTIN HIM?

> hope this helps

Yeah. INDEEDY. Every post you've made HEELPS
PROVE YOU TO BE INCOMPETENT and VICIHOWES.

> sincerely

LikeWIZE.

> Amy 'the dog lady'

You're a FRAUD.

Here's HOWE The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
do it EZ GENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY and FOR
FREE, dog EXXXPERT / university trained BEHAVIORIST:

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net>
schreef inbericht

> You'll get ALL the INFORMATION you need in your
> FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
> Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual. You'll be
> taught some general exercises to calm and relax
> your dog and give him the direct attention he
> NEEDS in only a few minutes every other day, and
> you'll learn HOWE to use distraction and praise to
> EXXXTINGUISH the HABITUAL aspect of this DIS-EASE.

My dog (a 1 year old Yellow Lab) was biting his tail
at the root (Vet said his anal gland was blocked, and
was causing an itch).

After squeezing it, he still wouldn't stop biting his
tail. The vet advised a neck-funnel (don't know wat
you US-guy's call those) so he couldn't reach his butt.

I hate those things, i think they will drive a dog nuts.

I tried the wits end method. (difficult to read such a long
textfile if English is not your native language) Luckily this
is without all the "HOWE's" etc.so at least it's readable for
somebody like me.

The minute he started to bite i trew my key's
next to him on the floor, and praised him (he
stopped biting and looked up when he heard
the sound) I did this 7 times,

after that the tailbiting completely stopped.
Just give the wits end method a try.

One of the possible downloadlocations
is http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

----------------------------

"Paul B" <abcde@clear.net.nz> schreef in bericht

> Both my dogs at some stage have licked a spot
> somewhere on their bodies and I have always
> managed to train them to stop. In all cases there
> was nothing wrong that licking would have helped
> (Roz has had cut pads, stitches in her belly and
> skin itrritations, all tempting her to lick), none of their
> licking has been due to any allergies
>
>. When I see the dog licking more than normal I
> look at the spot to see whats there and decide if
> a vet appointment is needed or to wait and see,
> keeping a close eye.
>
>To stop the licking I distract the dog and give it
> some friendly banter, when it starts licking again
> I repeat, usually after about 4 times the dog stops,
> for the moment at least, if it starts again then repeat,
> before long the dog has no more desire to lick that
> spot at all.

The same thing worked with my lab licking/chewing
problem too. He had an itch due to blocked anal glands
and started chewing and licking his tail at the root.

After the glands were squeezed, and the itch was
gone he still wouldn't stop. (because the place he
chewed raw was itching)

After some training (roughly the same methode as
yours) he stopped.

--
Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

--------------------------------------

"Hennie van Dalen" <h.vandalen11***removethis***@chello.nl>
wrote in message news:TlsCb.2895$7U1.7896@amstwist00...

RTFM is age-old computer lingo.... It stands for "Read The
F***ing Manual" ;-) I used the manual and it works very good!

But it is a long text to read (76 pages printed on A4-size
paper) My lab is 1year old now, and teaching him something
new takes about 30minutes (depending on what to teach offcourse)

My other dog (a 7year old staffordshire terrier-mix) is a bit
slower in learning, but he is used to me calling him a "bad
dog"whenever he did something i didn't want him to do, or
it might be the age.

Sometimes it looks like Sam (the lab) WANTS to learn
something new: he wants me to bring along the can
filled with washers whenever we go for a walk. It is a
very "humane" way of teaching: the dog is allways a
"good dog", and never a "bad dog"

There is nu punishment or prong-collars involved.

For a fact i tought him to heel in 15min's without
beeing on a leach at-all !!! When he spotted a dog,
he used to run towards it, but now i tought him to "ask
permission" first, and to my surprise it worked!

My dogs never went to puppy-training (lucky for them),
maybe this helped too.

Manual can be found at http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

-- Hennie van Dalen www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11/fotografie/doggy-pictures/

--------------------------------------

--- Original Message ----- From: Paul Bousie To: The Puppy
Wizard Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 8:00 AM Subject: Geday.

Hey J,

I see nothings changed on the NG. Still the same old crappy
advice and misunderstanding of the only advice worth reading.

The problem with your method J is that I can't answer the
questions on the NG no more, people are after a quick fix,
they don't want to understand that dog training requires a
disiplined method, I'm now really understanding that they are
all result orientated, they want the dog to sit, to down, to
stay, to come, to stop it's "bad" behaviours, they want to
stamp out each anxiety one at a time not realising they create
a new one as they deal with the last.

I feel sorry for them, they don't understand, they don't even
realise the errors of thier ways and they arn't self thinkers,
they follow the majority, after all if everyone says thats the
way then it must be. I've finally realised people don't want
to learn to train dogs they want a trained dog, they want a
little puppet that sits and stays and downs and does all the
nice doggy stuff or so they think, then when the dog acts like
a dog they come squealing to the NG asking how to stop the dog
being a dog.

I have a nice little visulisation of a dogs mind that I think
demonstrates the way we approach dog training. Imagine lots of
little circles all in a cluster, each one representing a dog
anxiety or behaviour ( desied or not), each circle represents
something about the dog, all of them create what a dog is.

The traditional way to train a dog is to stamp out the "bad"
circles, try to eliminate as many as you can, problem is each
one you stamp out another takes it's place (anxiety circles
can't be destroyed they just change), obviously it's a futile
exercise, but thats the traditional way.

Now imagine a big circle that completely surrounds all the
small circles, this big circle is the whole dog, that's what
we get hold of with all the little circles inside, we don't
see the little circles we see the BIG circle the macro as you
put it and use that to train.

I laugh now when I see posts critisising you, they are
critising something they don't even understand or even have
the capacity to understand.

See ya,

Paul

=====================

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-22 17:21:00 EST
HOWEDY seashells,

> Hi
>
> Got a 8 year old Kelpie X Lab who got a bad
>deep scrap to her paw 12 months ago.
>
> Since then she has lick her paw and made the
> wound worse...

The habitual licking causes paw licking dermatitis.
It's an anxiHOWESSNESS behavior problem.

> it's crated

Crating often causes anxiety that causes paw
licking or self mutilation, seizures, obsessive
barking digging whining chewing fear of thunder
car sickness and aggression, amongst other
temperament and health DIS-EASES.

> and we have had her to the vet...

Good. But the vet can't train your dog to RELAX
and not lick her wounds.

> tried creams
That won't help cause they lick it right off.

> and bandaging

That won't help cause they chew them right off.

> (She rips them off!),

Right.

> recently had her wearing a plastic bucket...

And that only frustrates her all the MOORE.

> which did guard her for a while but
> it's been 2 months and she has managed
> to get at her paw again!

You can EXXXTINGUISH the habitual licking
in just a few minutes. You'll EXXXTINGUISH
her continued desire to chew using the heeling
pattern exercise in your FREE copy of The Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual.

> Vets can't offer much...

Right. Veterinarians can't often cure behavior problems.

> it's her behavior.

The Puppy Wizard has been SUCCESSFULLY
EXXXTINGUISHING paw licking dermatitis
NEARLY INSTANTLY for nearly forty years.

> Was thinking of something we could put on
> her wound to discourage licking...

You mean an aversive. Only dog abusers rely
on pain fear force and intimidation to relieve
anxiHOWES behavior problems.

> maybe on a dressing so she dosen't rip it off?

Dress your dog in calm and content by following
the INSTRUCTIONS in your FREE copy of The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog
Training Method Manual.

> Help from Australia!

You won't be getting no advice from HOWER
Gang Of Lying Dog Abusing Punk Thug Cowards
who hurt and intimidate and avoid behaviors of
the domestic puppy dog they don't have the
INTELLECT to HOWEtwit.

> Thank you

Perhaps you didn't know you was writing to
liars, dog abusers and mental cases.

> Cheers

You'll see soon enough.

> Seashells

Here's a couple of The Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual
Students tellin you HOWE they done it EZ GENTLY

> Both my dogs at some stage have licked a spot
> somewhere on their bodies and I have always
> managed to train them to stop. In all cases there
> was nothing wrong that licking would have helped
> (Roz has had cut pads, stitches in her belly and
> skin itrritations, all tempting her to lick), none of their
> licking has been due to any allergies
>
>. When I see the dog licking more than normal I
> look at the spot to see whats there and decide if
> a vet appointment is needed or to wait and see,
> keeping a close eye.
>
>To stop the licking I distract the dog and give it
> some friendly banter, when it starts licking again
> I repeat, usually after about 4 times the dog stops,
> for the moment at least, if it starts again then repeat,
> before long the dog has no more desire to lick that
> spot at all.

The same thing worked with my lab licking/chewing
problem too. He had an itch due to blocked anal glands
and started chewing and licking his tail at the root.

After the glands were squeezed, and the itch was
gone he still wouldn't stop. (because the place he
chewed raw was itching)

After some training (roughly the same methode as
yours) he stopped.

--
Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11/fotografie/doggy-pictures/

--------------------------------------

"Hennie van Dalen" <h.vandalen11***removethis***@chello.nl>
wrote in message news:TlsCb.2895$7U1.7896@amstwist00...

RTFM is age-old computer lingo.... It stands for "Read The
F***ing Manual" ;-) I used the manual and it works very good!

But it is a long text to read (76 pages printed on A4-size
paper) My lab is 1year old now, and teaching him something
new takes about 30minutes (depending on what to teach offcourse)

My other dog (a 7year old staffordshire terrier-mix) is a bit
slower in learning, but he is used to me calling him a "bad
dog"whenever he did something i didn't want him to do, or
it might be the age.

Sometimes it looks like Sam (the lab) WANTS to learn
something new: he wants me to bring along the can
filled with washers whenever we go for a walk. It is a
very "humane" way of teaching: the dog is allways a
"good dog", and never a "bad dog"

There is nu punishment or prong-collars involved.

For a fact i tought him to heel in 15min's without
beeing on a leach at-all !!! When he spotted a dog,
he used to run towards it, but now i tought him to "ask
permission" first, and to my surprise it worked!

My dogs never went to puppy-training (lucky for them),
maybe this helped too.

Manual can be found at http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

-- Hennie van Dalen www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11/fotografie/doggy-pictures/

=22Rosa_Palm=E9n=22_=3Crosa=40no-s-p-am=2Elocomail=2Ecom=3E?=
2004-01-23 13:00:04 EST

"seashells" <seashells61@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Got a 8 year old Kelpie X Lab who got a bad deep scrap to her paw 12
months ago.

> Since then she has lick her paw and made the wound worse...it's crated and
we
> have had her to the vet...tried creams and bandaging (She rips them off!),
> recently had her wearing a plastic bucket...which did guard her for a
while but
> it's been 2 months and she has managed to get at her paw again!
>
> Vets can't offer much...it's her behavior.
>
> Was thinking of something we could put on her wound to discourage
> licking...maybe on a dressing so she dosen't rip it off?
>
> Help from Australia!
>
> Thank you
> Cheers
> Seashells

I've put tea tree oil on some rashes and scratches, and the dogs have not
been very interested in licking them. I don't know how safe it is to ingest
tho, ask your vet what he/she thinks.
Can you try to train her out of this behaviour? It could be hard work, but
maybe it is possible? Distract her when she starts to lick, keep her
occupied with other stuff, and when you don't have the time to monitor her -
put the bucket (cone) back on. When she starts to stop licking when you tell
her too, remember to praise and maybe give a treat.
My dogs have luckily never had the kind of problem your dog is having, but
when my older dog had stitches that seemed to itch, I figured that if I can
teach the dog to leave other stuff alone, then why not this. I covered the
area with some fabric and then I was _very_ strict about it, she was _not_
allowed to touch it, at all, even touching it with her nose was a no-no.
Basically the wound itself wasn't off limits, it was just the fabric I put
over it that she was not allowed to touch. During the night we still put the
cone on to be on the safe side.

Rosa

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-23 13:57:02 EST
HOWEDY rosa,

"Rosa Palm\ufffdn" <rosa@no-s-p-am.locomail.com> wrote in message

> "seashells" <seashells61@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Got a 8 year old Kelpie X Lab who got a bad deep
> > scrap to her paw 12 months ago.
> >
> > Since then she has lick her paw and made the
> > wound worse...it's crated and we have had her
> >to the vet...tried creams and bandaging (She
> >rips them off!), recently had her wearing a plastic
> >bucket...which did guard her for a while but it's
> >been 2 months and she has managed to get at
> > her paw again!
> >
> > Vets can't offer much...it's her behavior.
>
> I've put tea tree oil on some rashes and scratches,

You ever put tea tree oil on a BEHAVIOR PROBLEM?

> and the dogs have not been very interested in licking them.

The problem is the LICKING, not the ointment.

> I don't know how safe it is to ingest tho,
> ask your vet what he/she thinks.

The VET can't HELP cause this is an anxiHOWES
behavior problem, rosa. You've got a long history
of bein a dog abuser and a liar.

> Can you try to train her out of this behaviour?

INDEEDY. The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Students
REPORT 100% NEAR INSTANT SUCCESS, rosa.

You and your ilk call them LIARS and FORGERIES.

> It could be hard work,

Takes a couple minutes, you ignorant miserable
lying dog abusing punk thug cowar mental case.

> but maybe it is possible?

BWEEHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

GET THE HEEL HOWETA The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Forum.

> Distract her when she starts to lick,

That so, rosa? You gonna offer IT a cookie?

> keep her occupied with other stuff,

BWEEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

THAT'S HOWE COME YOU CAN'T TRAIN
YOUR OWN DOG.

> and when you don't have the time to monitor her -

PRAY FOR LUCK???

> put the bucket (cone) back on.

This dog may HURT hisself tryin to get it off.

> When she starts to stop licking when you tell her too,

Then you'll ALWAYS HAVE TO TELL HER.

THAT'S HOWE COME YOU CAN'T TRAIN
YOUR OWN DOGS NOT TO FIGHT.

> remember to praise and maybe give a treat.

BWEEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

You mean AFTER THE FACT? You CAN'T
"reward" or "punish" a behavior not CAUGHT
IN THE ACT.

You're a lying dog abusing punk thug coward
mental case, rosa.

> My dogs have luckily

LUCK, rosa. LUCK. Your dogs FIGHT cause
of BAD LUCK, rosa. BAD LUCK cause YOU
GOT NO TRAININ METHOD EXXXCEPT
PUNISH and "reward" after the fact.

> never had the kind of problem your dog is having,

BWWEEHHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

But you've had PLENTY other problems, dog abuser.

> but when my older dog had stitches that seemed to itch,

Cause you've never had this problem...

> I figured that if I can teach the dog to leave other stuff
alone,

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

YOU CAN'T!!!

> then why not this.

Cause you CAN'T train your dog to "leave STUFF
alone" unless you're standing there to PUNISH IT.

> I covered the area with some fabric and then
> I was _very_ strict about it,

You mean you PUNISHED your dog for licking.
That's what often CAUSES paw licking dermatitis.

> she was _not_ allowed to touch it,

So long as you was standing there ready to HURT
and INTIMIDATE her, rosa. REMEMBER?

> at all,

ONLY so long as you're ready to HURT her.

> even touching it with her nose was a no-no.

TILL YOU TURNED YOUR BACK, you lying dog
abusing MENTAL CASE.

> Basically the wound itself wasn't off limits,

Basically you'd NEED to stand there 24/7 ready
to HURT and INTIMDATE your dog, rosa.

> it was just the fabric I put over it that she was
> not allowed to touch.

That so? We playin word games again, rosa?

> During the night we still put the
> cone on to be on the safe side.

CAUSE YOU COULDN'T TRAIN YOUR DOG, rosa.