Dog Discussion: Dog Keeps Breaking Collars

Dog Keeps Breaking Collars

Karen Ray-Stewart
2004-01-21 12:28:55 EST
It doesn't seem to matter how tight I latch the collar the dog keeps
making his way out of it... neighbour brought him to my door this morning,
just after I took the kids to school. any suggestions as to what type of
collar would be best..... he's getting out of them and breaking them...this
is the second one I have had to purchase, and the 4th time since we got him
that he has gotten away by getting the collar undone or over his head. I
don't want to tighten it much more, I wouldn;t want to hurt him...he has
about a 14" neck but lots of fur ( think Alaskin malamute/white sheppard)

Karen

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-21 13:49:14 EST
HOWEDY Karen,

"Karen Ray-Stewart" <karen.ray-stewart@sympatico.ca> wrote in
message news:lFyPb.5886$rW5.397174@news20.bellglobal.com...

> It doesn't seem to matter how tight I latch the collar

Well YES IT DOES matter HOWE tight you latch
the collar cause THAT'S HOWE COME the dog
OPPOSES YOU and TRIES to ESCAPE.

> the dog keeps making his way out of it...

Cause you're CHOKIN IT.

> neighbour brought him to my door this morning,

You're LUCKY. peejoe's neighbor's SHOT her dog
like diddler did to her neighbor's DEAD DOG.

> just after I took the kids to school. any suggestions
> as to what type of collar would be best.....

HOWER dog lovers prefer their pronged spiked
pinch choke collars.

> he's getting out of them and breaking them...

That's cause you're restraining her.

> this is the second one I have had to purchase,
> and the 4th time since we got him that he has
> gotten away by getting the collar undone or over
> his head.

Cause you're FORCING him.

> I don't want to tighten it much more,

That'll make him pull MOORE, maybe make him bite you.

> I wouldn;t want to hurt him...

You already are. You're SCARING him.

> he has about a 14" neck but lots of fur ( think
> Alaskin malamute/white sheppard)

You're asking liars dog abusers frauds cowards
and ACTIVE INCURABLE MENTAL PATIENTS.

From: Lynn (roudyregal@yahoo.com)
Subject: Shame on all of you!
Date: 2002-09-11 20:47:24 PST

I am quite real thank you very much. I was told how awful
many of you are, so I thought I would see for myself. Yes
Jerry was willing to share his knowledge! He has not tried to
sell me one thing.

He warned us, and I did not quite believe how spiteful you all
are. You are a little gang of kindergarteners who want to
punish those who differ from your beliefs in gimmicks and
painful short cuts.

Yes you got a message by mistake Ms. Boss, heaven forbid! And
you told me without even knowing me I was missing "part of my
deck" for being interested in "The Wits End"!

How dare you! Sorry I am not perfect at posting on boards.

You don't even know who I am, and I have NEVER taken a
shot at you, just watched and listened. Think you are so high
and mighty?

Go ahead, "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!" Obviously
you are one of those wrinkled old biddies I have shown against
who can't keep their hair on straight.

I know of the jerking and pulling going on behind the scenes
because you are working to fast, running to late, and afraid
your poor dog won't stack properly if you don't "jazz" it up.
Poor souls you are.

You want to delete my posts because I did what exactly?????
Blame Jerry Howe for writing a manual, say he is a fake too,
(everyone must be I guess if they don't agree with you), and
condemn him for GIVING away something?

I notice you toot your own horn at the end of every post. It's
o.k. for you? I think you all need to grow up and realize you
are in a big world, and there are other answers besides yours.

Still in business, with my own hair and 6 dogs all getting
along playing loose at this moment on my ranch. Oh, this will
really make you mad.... The Rotti, Airedale, St. Bernard
cross, Golden cross, Shetland Sheep Dog, Queensland Heeler,
are all playing and no fights. Jerry helped me socialize the
Rotti with some ideas. The Airedale is no longer "eating" the
other dogs, owners are thrilled. Dare you to put this combo
together. Of course, a few might have better pedi's than you
and it wouldn't work. I won't spell check so you can pick at
me more o.k.?

Lynn

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-21 13:50:25 EST
From: Lynn (roudyregal@yahoo.com)
Subject: Dog training has become so much easier!
Date: 2002-09-03 15:20:15 PST

Puppy Wizard, thank you so much for your time.

The rotti is off the screen door, my client is
finally "getting" it. No hard core methods.

She was unable to distinguish when to punish
and not. This took the whole "brains" out of
it for her! Good Dog, Good Dog has become a
word we laugh about now. Dog is never bad,
owner was expecting dog to know way to much.

Dog is heeling without a leash, distraction
is the key, you were right. I still use my
"trainer" common sense, but sometimes it gets
in the way of this new method, (new to me).

Even though I work with some hard prospects,
I take a bit of you, and apply it, and it is
making my sessions a snap, literally!

Dogs start to look and wonder what the heck?

I take all the pressure off by distraction,
and my clients are having fun. We love the
"walk abouts", it's a fun way to exercise.

The Airedale is about 90% no mouth now, has
not chewed up any part of the ranch for days,
and the owner wants to leave him here a bit
longer, she loves it. No more bad dog.

Dog is actually giving a hoot as to where we
are, and rests with us. Big change from the
"gotta keep busy" behavior we were trying to
break. Calmer doggie.

Sooooooo, lets see what is next.grin. Good
doggie, good doggie!

Lynn

Karen Ray-Stewart
2004-01-21 14:47:43 EST
you think I am chiking him with the collar and he wants to escape..?? what
?? if I put it on any to loose he would still get out of the collar, I am
not going to get a spiked collar ...he had one before we got him,...I felt
so bad for him..the marks on his neck proved he had a spiked collar..he had
no hair on his neck where the collar had been.
KAren

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> (everyone must be I guess if they don't agree with you), and
> condemn him for GIVING away something?
>
> I notice you toot your own horn at the end of every post. It's
> o.k. for you? I think you all need to grow up and realize you
> are in a big world, and there are other answers besides yours.
>
> Still in business, with my own hair and 6 dogs all getting
> along playing loose at this moment on my ranch. Oh, this will
> really make you mad.... The Rotti, Airedale, St. Bernard
> cross, Golden cross, Shetland Sheep Dog, Queensland Heeler,
> are all playing and no fights. Jerry helped me socialize the
> Rotti with some ideas. The Airedale is no longer "eating" the
> other dogs, owners are thrilled. Dare you to put this combo
> together. Of course, a few might have better pedi's than you
> and it wouldn't work. I won't spell check so you can pick at

Amy & Phil Fernandes
2004-01-21 15:33:06 EST
Hi Karen,

I am guessing that you are keeping your dog tied outside. That is the
problem, not the collar. Dogs should not be tied and most will try anything
possible to get free. Build your dog a proper kennel if he must be outdoors.
Your local animal shelter will have plans for how to build a kennel and a
proper doghouse.

sincerely
Amy 'the dog lady'

"Karen Ray-Stewart" <karen.ray-stewart@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> It doesn't seem to matter how tight I latch the collar the dog keeps
> making his way out of it... neighbour brought him to my door this morning,
> just after I took the kids to school. any suggestions as to what type of
> collar would be best..... he's getting out of them and breaking
them...this
> is the second one I have had to purchase, and the 4th time since we got
him
> that he has gotten away by getting the collar undone or over his head. I
> don't want to tighten it much more, I wouldn;t want to hurt him...he has
> about a 14" neck but lots of fur ( think Alaskin malamute/white sheppard)
>
> Karen

Karen Ray-Stewart
2004-01-21 18:45:30 EST
oh, and DH looked at the collar...dog didnm't break it..it broke...cheap
metal not made to hold a large dog.... we bought a different type this time.
I don't think he will wear it out as fast.
Karen

"Karen Ray-Stewart" <karen.ray-stewart@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> It doesn't seem to matter how tight I latch the collar the dog keeps
> making his way out of it... neighbour brought him to my door this morning,
> just after I took the kids to school. any suggestions as to what type of
> collar would be best..... he's getting out of them and breaking
them...this
> is the second one I have had to purchase, and the 4th time since we got
him
> that he has gotten away by getting the collar undone or over his head. I
> don't want to tighten it much more, I wouldn;t want to hurt him...he has
> about a 14" neck but lots of fur ( think Alaskin malamute/white sheppard)
>
> Karen

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-22 01:16:37 EST

message news:uHAPb.5943$rW5.402711@news20.bellglobal.com...

> you think I am chiking him with the collar

Don't matter what The Puppy Wizard or you think.
What matters is what your dog thinks. He's AFRAID
of you choking him. You try to restrain him. That's
HOWE COME he PANICS and ESCAPES.

> and he wants to escape..??

What's he do when he shakes his collar and leard?

> what ??

Your neighbor's had to rHOWEND him up.

> if I put it on any to loose he would still get out of the
collar,

RIGHT. Soon as you learn HOWE to NOT PULL
he can learn HOWE to NOT PANIC and ESCAPE.

> I am not going to get a spiked collar ...

Most of HOWER dog lovers PREFER a pronged
spiked pinch or slip choke collar or GL neck twister.

> he had one before we got him,...I felt
> so bad for him..the marks on his neck
> proved he had a spiked collar..he had
> no hair on his neck where the collar had been.

RIGHT. THAT'S HOWE COME HE PANICS.

You've got to study your FREE copy of The Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual and DO the exercises and your
dog will be PERFECTLY TRAINED in a couple
days.

> KAren

Or do you want MOORE of this?:

From: sionnach (rhyfelwr@email.msn.com)
Subject: Re: Correct use of prong collar
Date: 2001-05-05 13:03:14 PST

> And Sally responded:
>
> >Who said that? I would never do or recommend that, and
> >neither would most of the regulars on here.
> >
> >Sally Hennessey
>
> I've posted my entire quote, since Patch failed to do so.
> Tke it out of context and you'd think I was flinging puppies
> across the room!
>
> here's what I said (keep in mind that we're talking
> about a 12 week old ~25# FCR puppy):
>
> A small scruff shake is appropriate if he's
> very persistant.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Um, may I suggest a re-wording that might make
it clearer- given that "scruff shake" is too easily
misinterpreted as "pick the puppy up by the scruff
of the neck and shake the puppy in the air"?

I think I'd phrase it something like "if the puppy is very
persistant, it can be appropriate to take hold of the
loose skin at the back of the neck and give a slight shake
to the *skin*".

Janet's not talking about actually shaking the puppy, which
I think we ALL agree is abusive.

===================

"I Dropped The Leash, Threw My Right Arm
Over The Lab's Shoulder, Grabbed Her Opposite
Foot With My Left Hand, Rolled Her On Her Side,
Leaned On Her, Smartly Growled Into Her Throat
And Said "GRRRR!" And Neatly Nipped Her Ear,"
sionnach.

"Many People Have Problems Getting The Pinch
Right, Either They Do Not Pinch Enough, Or They
Have A Very Stoic Dog. Some Dogs Will Collapse
Into A Heap. About The Ear Pinch: You Must Keep
The Pressure Up," sindy "don't let the dog SCREAM"
mooreon, author of HOWER FAQ's pages on k9 web.

You think HURTING a HUNTING DOG to
MAKE IT HUNT is NECESSARY???

"Well, Jack Did Hit My Dog. Actually I'd Call It
A Sharp Tap Of The Crook To The Nose. I Know
Jack Wouldn't HaveDone It If He Thought Solo
Couldn't Take It. I Still Crate Him Because
Otherwise I Fear He Might Eat My Cat," melanie.

You think allowing a "FEAR AGGRESSIVE MAN
SHY" dog to be BEATEN by a strange male trainer
is INTELLIGENT BEHAVIOR for a DOG LOVER?

"Warning: Sometimes The Corrections Will Seem
Quite Harsh And Cause You To Cringe. This Is A
Normal Reaction The First Few Times It Happens,
But You'll Get Over It."mike duforth, author:
"Courteous Canine."

You think HURTIN dogs and CRINGING
is COURTEOUS?

"I have heard advice stating that you should pre-load
your dog for Bitter Apple for it to work as efficiently
as possible. What does this mean?"

Means the author is a dog abuser of the worst magnitude.

"When you bring home the Bitter Apple for
the first time, spray one squirt directly into
the dog's mouth and walk away. The dog
won't be too thrilled with this but just ignore
him and continue your normal behavior."

You think HURTING your dog is NORMAL BEHAVIOR?

--Mike Dufort
author of the zero selling book
"Courteous Canines"

The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >

> [...]
> > (everyone must be I guess if they don't agree with you), and
> > condemn him for GIVING away something?
> >
> > I notice you toot your own horn at the end of every post. It's
> > o.k. for you? I think you all need to grow up and realize you
> > are in a big world, and there are other answers besides yours.
> >
> > Still in business, with my own hair and 6 dogs all getting
> > along playing loose at this moment on my ranch. Oh, this will
> > really make you mad.... The Rotti, Airedale, St. Bernard
> > cross, Golden cross, Shetland Sheep Dog, Queensland Heeler,
> > are all playing and no fights. Jerry helped me socialize the
> > Rotti with some ideas. The Airedale is no longer "eating" the
> > other dogs, owners are thrilled. Dare you to put this combo
> > together. Of course, a few might have better pedi's than you
> > and it wouldn't work. I won't spell check so you can pick at

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-22 01:16:53 EST
HOWEDY amy & phil FRAUDS,

"Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Hi Karen,
>
> I am guessing that you are keeping your dog tied
> outside. That is the problem,

That so? What's the PROBLEM for tying a dog HOWEtside?

> not the collar.

RIGHT. If the dog was TRAINED to be TIED
it wouldn't matter WHAT kinda collar he has.

> Dogs should not be tied

That's curiHOWES. The Puppy Wizard
has tied cHOWENTLESS dogs and has
NO PROBLEM for dogs enjoyin being tied.

> and most will try anything possible to get free.

That so? The Puppy Wizard has tied cHOWENTLESS
dogs and NEVER had a dog OBJECT to bein tied.

> Build your dog a proper kennel if he must be outdoors.

Or TEACH HIM to ENJOY being tied, eh amy & phil FRAUD?

Let's talk abHOWET HOWE the OP can TRAIN
her dog to accept being tied? We'll do it the same
way as we'll break the dog of peein on the shed.

YOU START.

> Your local animal shelter will have plans for how
> to build a kennel and a proper doghouse.

Will they also have HOWES decorating to set
obstacles to dogs marking in the HOWES and
gardenin recomendations for growing obstacles
to dogs peein on the shed and tips from Mr.
Goodwrench to build obstacles to the dog
chewin up the car in the shed?

> sincerely Amy 'the dog lady'

You're a FRAUD.

You think the OP wants MOORE of this?:

From: sionnach (rhyfelwr@email.msn.com)
Date: 2001-05-05 13:03:14 PST

> And Sally responded:
>
> >Who said that? I would never do or recommend that, and
> >neither would most of the regulars on here.
> >
> >Sally Hennessey
>
> I've posted my entire quote, since Patch failed to do so.
> Tke it out of context and you'd think I was flinging puppies
> across the room!
>
> here's what I said (keep in mind that we're talking
> about a 12 week old ~25# FCR puppy):
>
> A small scruff shake is appropriate if he's
> very persistant.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Um, may I suggest a re-wording that might make
it clearer- given that "scruff shake" is too easily
misinterpreted as "pick the puppy up by the scruff
of the neck and shake the puppy in the air"?

I think I'd phrase it something like "if the puppy is very
persistant, it can be appropriate to take hold of the
loose skin at the back of the neck and give a slight shake
to the *skin*".

Janet's not talking about actually shaking the puppy, which
I think we ALL agree is abusive.

===================

"I Dropped The Leash, Threw My Right Arm
Over The Lab's Shoulder, Grabbed Her Opposite
Foot With My Left Hand, Rolled Her On Her Side,
Leaned On Her, Smartly Growled Into Her Throat
And Said "GRRRR!" And Neatly Nipped Her Ear,"
sionnach.

"Many People Have Problems Getting The Pinch
Right, Either They Do Not Pinch Enough, Or They
Have A Very Stoic Dog. Some Dogs Will Collapse
Into A Heap. About The Ear Pinch: You Must Keep
The Pressure Up," sindy "don't let the dog SCREAM"
mooreon, author of HOWER FAQ's pages on k9 web.

You think HURTING a HUNTING DOG to
MAKE IT HUNT is NECESSARY???

"Well, Jack Did Hit My Dog. Actually I'd Call It
A Sharp Tap Of The Crook To The Nose. I Know
Jack Wouldn't HaveDone It If He Thought Solo
Couldn't Take It. I Still Crate Him Because
Otherwise I Fear He Might Eat My Cat," melanie.

You think allowing a "FEAR AGGRESSIVE MAN
SHY" dog to be BEATEN by a strange male trainer
is INTELLIGENT BEHAVIOR for a DOG LOVER?

"Warning: Sometimes The Corrections Will Seem
Quite Harsh And Cause You To Cringe. This Is A
Normal Reaction The First Few Times It Happens,
But You'll Get Over It."mike duforth, author:
"Courteous Canine."

You think HURTIN dogs and CRINGING
is COURTEOUS?

"I have heard advice stating that you should pre-load
your dog for Bitter Apple for it to work as efficiently
as possible. What does this mean?"

Means the author is a dog abuser of the worst magnitude.

"When you bring home the Bitter Apple for
the first time, spray one squirt directly into
the dog's mouth and walk away. The dog
won't be too thrilled with this but just ignore
him and continue your normal behavior."

You think HURTING your dog is NORMAL BEHAVIOR?

--Mike Dufort
author of the zero selling book
"Courteous Canines"

Shaggin
2004-01-26 01:18:25 EST
not sure what this conversation is about but one of our dogs used to slip
her colar no mater what my parents did dont know how they rememdied the
situation. I currently in the summer have a dog house in a very large
outdoor kennel that way he has room to run around in there and cant get
loose and get hit by a car plus that way he can still be protected from the
elements. I enjoy it and so does he:)

Sharon Too
2004-01-26 01:37:43 EST
> not sure what this conversation is about but one of our dogs used to slip
> her colar no mater what my parents did dont know how they rememdied the
> situation. I currently in the summer have a dog house in a very large
> outdoor kennel that way he has room to run around in there and cant get
> loose and get hit by a car plus that way he can still be protected from
the
> elements. I enjoy it and so does he:)

It's big enough to hold you too?

;-)