Dog Discussion: How To Contact The Los Gatos Animal Shelter

How To Contact The Los Gatos Animal Shelter

Jeff
2004-01-21 01:39:40 EST
I'm so upset over the story about the golden retriever that was
adopted out while the family searched. I hope the owner fights to get
her dog back. I can't imagine losing my beloved pet in this way. I
have emailed and called the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, and I
hope others will too. I'd be willing to donate to a fund for
investigating and prosecuting this case. The person who adopted this
dog should be ashamed, and if not, be put to shame by negative media
attention, as should the HSSV.

http://www.scvhumane.org/

KrisHur
2004-01-21 08:17:44 EST
I find it very hard to believe that they didn't see their dog at the shelter
when they supposedly came looking for the dog--on THREE occasions. If they
only went once, perhaps they missed her while she was being treated for cuts
(even though shelter officials state that people in search of lost pets are
taken into the hospital too), but they went 3 times and didn't see her?
Sounds like crap to me.

I also think it's a bull crap story that they were worried about the dog
choking a on a collar so they didn't put it on her. If true, they could've
bought a break-away collar, microchipped or tattooed the dog. There is
absolutely NO reason for a dog to be outside with out identification.

I feel bad for them, but it's their own fault that they and Bella (and Zina
who's still lost) are in this situation.

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

"Jeff" <JF@jft.com> wrote in message
> I'm so upset over the story about the golden retriever that was
> adopted out while the family searched. I hope the owner fights to get
> her dog back. I can't imagine losing my beloved pet in this way. I
> have emailed and called the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, and I
> hope others will too. I'd be willing to donate to a fund for
> investigating and prosecuting this case. The person who adopted this
> dog should be ashamed, and if not, be put to shame by negative media
> attention, as should the HSSV.
>
> http://www.scvhumane.org/

Rox
2004-01-21 11:28:40 EST
I'm not terribly familiar with the story myself but the OP said "The person
who adopted this
dog should be ashamed, and if not, be put to shame by negative media
attention"--WHY? That family didn't know anyone was looking for the dog.
And I personally would not turn a pet, even a newly adopted one, over to
someone who called me and claimed to be it's rightful owner. I'd want
proof. And I'd expect to have an rational conversation with them.

And I too think it sounds very odd that the original owner and her friends
were at the shelter numerous times and somehow didn't see the dog. That
alone sounds like someone running a scam. Not to mention trying to extort
the dog from the new owners by going on a radio show--that also sounds like
someone who is running some scam. Or is addicted to drama. Neither of
those acts would inspire me to return the dog.

Jeff
2004-01-21 11:46:32 EST
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:28:40 GMT, "Rox"
<*y@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I'm not terribly familiar with the story myself but the OP said "The person
>who adopted this
>dog should be ashamed, and if not, be put to shame by negative media
>attention"--WHY? That family didn't know anyone was looking for the dog.
>And I personally would not turn a pet, even a newly adopted one, over to
>someone who called me and claimed to be it's rightful owner. I'd want
>proof. And I'd expect to have an rational conversation with them.
>
>And I too think it sounds very odd that the original owner and her friends
>were at the shelter numerous times and somehow didn't see the dog. That
>alone sounds like someone running a scam.

Rumor has it that it was the animal shelter itself running the scam
because one of it's well to do patrons wanted the purebred for herself
and that the shelter hid the dog from the real owner the 3 seperate
times she had come into check.

Rox
2004-01-21 14:23:15 EST

> Rumor has it that it was the animal shelter itself running the scam
> because one of it's well to do patrons wanted the purebred for herself
> and that the shelter hid the dog from the real owner the 3 seperate
> times she had come into check.

And how would the shelter know "Oh time to hide that dog, this one might be
it's owner or one of it's owner's friends." I think your crediting shelter
workers with more free time than they actually have.

L Alpert
2004-01-21 18:56:08 EST
Jeff wrote:
> I'm so upset over the story about the golden retriever that was
> adopted out while the family searched. I hope the owner fights to get
> her dog back. I can't imagine losing my beloved pet in this way. I
> have emailed and called the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, and I
> hope others will too. I'd be willing to donate to a fund for
> investigating and prosecuting this case. The person who adopted this
> dog should be ashamed, and if not, be put to shame by negative media
> attention, as should the HSSV.
>
> http://www.scvhumane.org/

It usually helps if you have the dog wear a collar with a tag. I found an
older dog that was pretty much deaf and blind a few weeks back wondering in
the middle of the road. I called the number on his vet tag, the vet called
the owner, and the owner called me on my cell. Dog was missing for 2 days,
and they were worried to death and couldn't find him. I walked him over 4
blocks and he was home.

KrisHur
2004-01-22 07:40:02 EST
Right and why would a "well to do" person wait for a purebred from a
shelter. If they wanted to rescue a dog instead of purchase from a breeder,
there are tons of purebred dogs (even Goldens) in foster homes available
through rescue organizations.

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT