Dog Discussion: Best Dog Food?

Best Dog Food?

Marcel Beaudoin
2003-07-21 14:01:33 EST
"Gene" <emberti@yahoo.com> wrote in news:RVVSa.1889$4G4.1075
@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

> In any case, I would consider only
> human grade food for pets, but I repeat this is just my opinion.

What I have read is that the term "human grade food" is a myth. All meat
and grain purchased by dog food companies is human grade. They buy it at
the same auctions and from the same producers as those who buy for
restaurants and food manufacturers.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli
m*i@hotmail.com
'Of course you realize this means war.'

Gene
2003-07-21 14:18:28 EST
Have you ever read the term "chicken/beef/pork by-products" in animal
food? It would make no economic sense for a run-of-the mill animal feed
company to purchase human grade food to be used as animal food. In any
case, when I speak of human grade food, I mean food that I eat.

--
Gene
emberti at yahoo dot com

Marcel Beaudoin
2003-07-21 14:26:05 EST
"Gene" <emberti@yahoo.com> wrote in news:U7WSa.236$E41.24905875
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

> Have you ever read the term "chicken/beef/pork by-products" in animal
> food? It would make no economic sense for a run-of-the mill animal feed
> company to purchase human grade food to be used as animal food. In any
> case, when I speak of human grade food, I mean food that I eat.

When companies are purchasing meat (beef, chicken, etc) they are all the
same grade. The only place the difference is introduced is (IIRC) in the
cleanliness and the health standards of the plant that processes it.

What do you mean by chicken/beef/pork by-products? That is something that
is, to me, very unclear. Do you mean the meat that isn't fed to people in
north america? Like chicken necks, livers, kidneys or gizzards? Because
allof those are human grade, I eat them every year when I eat turkey, and
in asian cultures, that is a regular meal.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli
m*i@hotmail.com
'Of course you realize this means war.'

ZPL
2003-07-21 15:18:30 EST
I have never had the reason to investigate for harder stools. My dog does
well on Nutro Natural Selection Lamb and Rice. Her stools are usually a
healthy texture.

The loose stool in your bully may be a reaction to a corn based product,
beef, maybe even chicken. Look at what you have been using, and then look
for a food that has different ingredients. Like - go to a chicken and rice,
then try a lamb and rice, and so on.

Moving to a new food can also cause digestive problems. It is never a fast
decision.

"xxx" <xxx@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Please people can i just get an answer from my question?
> Haha
> Thanks
> Ray
>
> Gene wrote:
>
> > Have you ever read the term "chicken/beef/pork by-products" in animal
> > food? It would make no economic sense for a run-of-the mill animal feed
> > company to purchase human grade food to be used as animal food. In any
> > case, when I speak of human grade food, I mean food that I eat.

Dimpled Chad
2003-07-21 15:21:14 EST
On 21 Jul 2003, ZPL opined:

> Moving to a new food can also cause digestive problems. It is never a fast
> decision.

This is a good point. If you've been going from food to food to food quickly,
it could cause upset stomachs and perhaps loosish stools. Better to stick
with a food for a few weeks to see your results. When you change, do so
gradually, mixing some of the old with the new and moving over a few days or
so.

I recomended Eukanuba because they add beet pulp, I think, which is to firm
the stools. Others dislike Eukanuba for this very reason. Me, I think our dog
has done great on it...

Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

'Nietzsche is dead.' --God.

Xxx
2003-07-21 16:14:59 EST
Hi, i have a question about dog food, I have a two year old english
bulldog and it seems his poo is never really hard after pooing, i used
to have a pug and after going poo you could clean it up fast with no mess.
I have tried several premium foods and still the same my vet say's my
dog is fine and in great health.
Anyone out there that had the same problem and fixed it? what food did
you change to?
Thanks for any help.
Ray

Xxx
2003-07-21 17:56:32 EST

Gene wrote:

> Have you ever read the term "chicken/beef/pork by-products" in animal
> food? It would make no economic sense for a run-of-the mill animal feed
> company to purchase human grade food to be used as animal food. In any
> case, when I speak of human grade food, I mean food that I eat.

NitroFishBlue
2003-07-22 05:24:40 EST
I have two medium/large dogs. I recently started using Paul's Pet food. It
is a premium pet food that they deliver right to your home. Visit
www.paulspetfood.com to see if it is available in your area.

I get the chicken/rice/lamb mix and have been extremely happy with the
results which include firmness of stools.

One dog came from the SPCA and I had some trouble finding something he
liked. Both dogs dug in right away to the new food and are in great health.

> Hi, i have a question about dog food, I have a two year old english
> bulldog and it seems his poo is never really hard after pooing, i used
> to have a pug and after going poo you could clean it up fast with no mess.
> I have tried several premium foods and still the same my vet say's my
> dog is fine and in great health.
> Anyone out there that had the same problem and fixed it? what food did
> you change to?
> Thanks for any help.
> Ray

Gwen Watson
2003-07-22 09:57:59 EST

NitroFishBlue wrote:

> I have two medium/large dogs. I recently started using Paul's Pet food. It
> is a premium pet food that they deliver right to your home. Visit
> www.paulspetfood.com to see if it is available in your area.
>
> I get the chicken/rice/lamb mix and have been extremely happy with the
> results which include firmness of stools.
>
> One dog came from the SPCA and I had some trouble finding something he
> liked. Both dogs dug in right away to the new food and are in great health.

I was rather pleased with Paul's. But I could never find the grade of
food used so I quit using it. It is however fairly good quality. And the
delivery aspect is wonderful.

Gwen

Krishur
2003-07-22 11:54:09 EST
IMO the best dog foods out there are:

Innova
Wellness
Canadae
California Natural

You can learn more about dog food ingredients and compare labels at:
http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

What do you feed him now?

--
Kristen &