Dog Discussion: Pooty Breaking Problems

Pooty Breaking Problems

Jase
2004-01-18 18:38:43 EST
My wife and I have been attempting to potty train our 9 week old pups for
about 2 weeks now. We've set them up on a schedule and take them out every
2 hours. We stand out there for 30-45 minutes and the pups just look at us
like "Dude, it's cold, take us back inside". Then as soon as we do take
them inside, they end up going potty. We've tried extending the time that
they are outside but that didnt work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-18 20:24:37 EST
Koehler On Correcting The Housebreaking Backslider.

"If the punishment is not severe enough, some of these
"backsliders" will think they're winning and will continue to
mess in the house. An indelible impression can sometimes be
made by giving the dog a hard spanking of long duration, then
leaving him tied by the mess he's made so you can come back at
twenty minute intervals and punish him again for the same
thing. (Dogs are REALLY stupid. J.H.)

In most cases, the dog that deliberately does this
disagreeable thing cannot be made reliable by the light
spanking that some owners seem to think is adequate
punishment. It will be better for your dog, as well as the
house, if you really pour it on him."

"Housebreaking Problems:

"The Koehler Method of Dog Training" , Howell Book House,
1996"

Occasionally, there is a pup who seems determined to relieve
himself inside the house, regardless of how often he has the
opportunity to go outside. This dog may require punishment.
Make certain he is equipped with a collar and piece of line so
he can't avoid correction.

When you discover a mess, move in fast, take him to the place
of his error, and hold his head close enough so that he
associates his error with the punishment. Punish him by
spanking him with a light strap or switch. Either one is
better than a folded newspaper.

It is important to your future relationship that you do not
rush at him and start swinging before you get hold of him.

When he's been spanked, take him outside. Chances are, if you
are careful in your feeding and close observation, you will
not have to do much punishing. Be consistent in your handling.
To have a pup almost house-broken and then force him to commit
an error by not providing an opportunity to go outside is very
unfair. Careful planning will make your job easier.

The same general techniques of housebreaking apply to grown
dogs that are inexperienced in the house.

For the grown dog who was reliable in the house and then
backslides, the method of correction differs somewhat. In this
group of "backsliders" we have the "revenge piddler." This dog
protests being alone by messing on the floor and often in the
middle of a bed.

The first step of correction is to confine the dog closely in
a part of the house when you go away, so that he is constantly
reminded of his obligation. The fact that he once was reliable
in the house is proof that the dog knows right from wrong, and
it leaves you no other course than to punish him sufficiently
to convince him that the satisfaction of his wrongdoing is not
worth the consequences. If the punishment is not severe
enough, some of these "backsliders" will think they're winning
and will continue to mess in the house. An indelible
impression can sometimes be made by giving the dog a hard
spanking of long duration, then leaving him tied by the mess
he's made so you can come back at twenty minute intervals and
punish him again for the same thing. In most cases, the dog
that deliberately does this disagreeable thing cannot be made
reliable by the light spanking that some owners seem to think
is adequate punishment. It will be better for your dog, as
well as the house, if you really pour it on him.

"Jase" <jase370@charter.net> wrote in message
> My wife and I have been attempting to potty train our 9 week old
pups for
> about 2 weeks now. We've set them up on a schedule and take
them out every
> 2 hours. We stand out there for 30-45 minutes and the pups just
look at us
> like "Dude, it's cold, take us back inside". Then as soon as we
do take
> them inside, they end up going potty. We've tried extending the
time that
> they are outside but that didnt work. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Amy & Phil Fernandes
2004-01-19 09:01:49 EST
Hi,

Sounds like you've got your hands full. I see two problems here:
1. you are trying to juggle the housebreaking of two pups at once (no
worries, this can be done
2. You need to clarify to the pups where the toilet is, and where their
living space is. In other words, right now the world is their toilet, and
they can't tell why they shouldn't be going in the house.
This is the solution I'd like to propose to you:

First of all, if the pups go outside and immediately just want to play with
each other and aren't getting 'the job' done, then they need to be taken out
separately until they get the hang of things.
Next you are going to invest in two dog crates. The crates need to be
appropriately sized; ideally just big enough for the pup to stand up in and
turn around in. You can also buy a crate that is large enough for them when
they are adults but you will have to partition a section off to make it
smaller. The idea behind the crate is that a pup will not soil where it
sleeps, you are gradually beginning to teach them that your house is not a
potty. Put the crates in a quiet corner of the living room so they don't
feel left out and give them lots of snuggly bedding. Most dogs learn to love
their crates as long as they aren't crated for entire days at a time.The
crate is absolutely essential to preventing accidents. If you don't prevent
accidents, they quickly become habitual for the dogs and you will never have
them properly housetrained.
Next you are going to establish a rigid schedule. Dogs like routine, and in
a multiple dog household routines make your life a whole lot easier. Here is
your schedule:

7am- Wake the pup (who is sleeping comfortably in his crate) carry outside
immediately (to prevent an accident on his way out).
Wait outside until you have some action, I'd give him fifteen minutes. Do
not play with the pup or distract him, when he looks like he is sniffing
around ready to squat say "bathroom" or some other key word (this will be
his command for automatic voiding in the future). When he is done give him
major praise and dance around like a silly spaz. REPEAT with next pup.

7:30am- feed pups, then let outside again , it is important that you don't
leave their food out all day, feed them, then take the bowl away. If they
eat all day long, they will poop all day long and that is not condusive to
housetraining.

8am- try to have a little play time in the house. (make it short). Crate
pups.

12pm- let pups outside (follow above instructions), repeat feedings, outside
again and play. Crate pups

4pm- let pups out, feed pups, etc. Take them for a stroll outside or an
extended playtime. This may result in taking them out again. Watch for
sniffing inside the house, if you see this, grab the puppy up, and whisk him
outside.

8pm -outside, stop food and water at this time

11pm- last trip outside, snuggle down into crate for a good nights sleep.

This may seem rigid, but it is the only way to successfully and reliably
housetrain a pup. Believe me, I have housetrained over 50 dogs in my own
home and have offered advice to hundreds on the subject. If your pups have
an accident in the house in front of you (and they may, as you NEVER let
them out of your sight) you must clean it with a special enzymatic cleaner
for pet urine, tell them "no" and carry them directly outside.
Please note that this schedule is going to be this rigid for about the next
2 months and then you will lose the second feeding, begin letting them out
together instead of separately and they can have longer playtimes out of the
crates. They will become very automatic at their little schedule and you can
stop carrying them after a week or so and coax them to follow you outside.
If you are successful at preventing accidents and are very generous with
your praise outdoors, this business of housetraining is going to go very
quickly. If you decide to get lazy and let them run free in your house, you
are never going to get this done.
Good luck to you, and feel free to email me with your progress.

sincerely
Amy the dog lady

ps. There is a lot of information on crate training on the net and in books
that you may want to supplement my advise with. What I gave you is the quick
and dirty version so you may have some questions in addition to this.

"Jase" <jase370@charter.net> wrote in message
> My wife and I have been attempting to potty train our 9 week old pups for
> about 2 weeks now. We've set them up on a schedule and take them out
every
> 2 hours. We stand out there for 30-45 minutes and the pups just look at
us
> like "Dude, it's cold, take us back inside". Then as soon as we do take
> them inside, they end up going potty. We've tried extending the time that
> they are outside but that didnt work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-19 13:46:50 EST
HOWEDY amy & phil fernandes,

"Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Sounds like you've got your hands full.

Yeah? SHOWENDS like you got NO METHOD.

> I see two problems here:

1. You got NO METHOD EXXXCEPT avoid and punish.

2. You'll NEVER have A METHOD EXXXCEPT avoid
and punish.

> 1. you are trying to juggle the housebreaking
> of two pups at once

The Puppy Wizard sez raising two same age
pups is EZier than WON at a time cause they
LEARN from each other.

> (no worries, this can be done

INDEEY. But not EZily by YOU and your ilk
cause all you know is to lock the dog in a box
and avoid and punish them.

> 2. You need to clarify to the pups where the toilet is,

HOWEsbreaking is INSTINCTIVE.

> and where their living space is.

RIGHT.

> In other words,

Locking the dog in a box teaches IT his LIVIN SPACE
is HIS BOX and YOUR HOWES is his territory to FHOWEL.

> right now the world is their toilet,

Well that's EZ to fix. Just give the dog his HOWES.

> and they can't tell why they shouldn't be going in
> the house.

ESPECIALLY if they're NOT ALLHOWED in the
HOWES till they're HOWEsbroken. Catch22, eh,
amy & phil FRAUD?

> This is the solution I'd like to propose to you:

Are you EXXXPERIMENTING???

> First of all, if the pups go outside and immediately
> just want to play with each other and aren't getting
> 'the job' done, then they need to be taken out
> separately until they get the hang of things.

That's SHEER IDIOCY. If WON relieves hisself
the OTHER WILL COPY him.

> Next you are going to invest in two dog crates.

The Puppy Wizard sez EXXXPERT dog trainers
and university trained behaviorists who recomend
crating and choking and using aversives on dogs
are FRAUDS LIARS and MENTAL CASES, amy
& phil fernandes. You're not a trainer, you're a FRAUD.

> The crates need to be appropriately sized;

Small enough so the dog has NO CHOICE but
to lie in their mess if he gotta relieve hisself.

THAT'S HOWE COME DOGS PANIC when you
lock them in their box with no food water or toilet.

> ideally just big enough for the pup to stand up in and
> turn around in. You can also buy a crate that is large
> enough for them when they are adults but you will have
> to partition a section off to make it smaller.

So the pup will be FORCED to lie in his mess if IT
can't CONTAIN itself... THAT'S HOWE COME dogs
GET PANICKED when locked in boxes, amy & phil
FRAUD.

> The idea behind the crate is that

You don't have the INTELLECT to HOWEtwit the
cunning of the domestic puppy dog even after The
Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual Students tell you HOWE they done it EZ
GENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY and FOR FREE.

> a pup will not soil where it sleeps,

THAT'S HOWE COME THEY PANIC WHEN YOU
LOCK THEM IN A BOX WITH NO FOOD OR WATER
OR TOILET you miserable dog abusing FRAUDS.

What you do to dogs is ILLEGAL to do to PRISONERS
OF WAR under the Geneva Conventions.

>you are gradually beginning to teach them that

THAT YOU DON'T CARE ABHOWET HIM.

> your house is not a potty.

You mean, that YOUR HOWES ain't HIS HOWES.
INSTINCT tells the dog not to mess in HIS HOWES.

You teach the dog the CRATE is HIS HOWES and
YOUR HOWES is his TERRITORY TO FHOWEL.

You're a dog abuser and a FRAUD, amy & phil fernandes.

> Put the crates in a quiet corner of the living room
> so they don't feel left out and give them lots of snuggly
> bedding.

INSTEAD of teaching the pup HIS HOWES is YOUR
HOWES and he can feel SAFE snuggling at your feet
or ANY WHERE he chooses in HIS HOWES.

> Most dogs learn to love their crates

They SEEMINGLY love their crates cause THAT'S
the ONLY SAFE PLACE where they can't GET PUNISHED.

Most dogs have crate anxiHOWESNESS that soon
turns into separation anxiety fear of thunder car
sickness and self mutilation and even seizures,
amy & phil FRAUD.

> as long as they aren't crated for entire days at a time.

That's IRRELEVENT. The puppy cannot be allHOWED
to cry for WON MINUTE.

> The crate is absolutely essential to preventing accidents.

THAT'S INSANE!!!

You SELL crates cause you don't know HOWE to tain a dog.

> If you don't prevent accidents, they quickly
> become habitual for the dogs

You mean, DESPITE that HOWEsbreaking is
INSTINCTIVE, amy & phil FRAUD?

> and you will never have them properly housetrained.

THAT'S A LIE CREATED BY FRAUDULENT TRAINERS.

> Next you are going to establish a rigid schedule.

You mean you'll disavail the pup of developing self
control and learning HOWE to ASK to go HOWET.

> Dogs like routine, and

THAT will condition you to being chained to a ROUTINE.

> in a multiple dog household routines make your
> life a whole lot easier.

NO. It forces rigidity and causes the dog to NEED
attention according to the ROUTINE, not HIS NEEDS.

> Here is your schedule:

Your SCHEDULE is BULLSHIT, amy & phil FRAUD.

> 7am- Wake the pup (who is sleeping comfortably
> in his crate) carry outside immediately (to prevent
> an accident on his way out).

You mean instead of HOWEsbreaking the pup in
a couple HOWERS and lettin him wake you if he
needs to go HOWET and contain hisself till he
gets there?

> Wait outside until you have some action, I'd give him
> fifteen minutes.

You mean, instead of training IT in less that WON WEEK,
to go an relieve hisself in TWO MINUTES FLAT, in his
designated break area off lead, amy & phil FRAUD?

> Do not play with the pup or distract him, when he
> looks like he is sniffing around ready to squat say
> "bathroom" or some other key word (this will be
> his command for automatic voiding in the future).
> When he is done give him major praise and dance
> around like a silly spaz. REPEAT with next pup.

That's SHEER IDIOCY.

<SNIP SHEER IDIOCY>

> This may seem rigid,

No, it seems IDIOTIC and CONTRAWIZE.

> but it is the only way to successfully and reliably
> housetrain a pup.

NO. That's HOWE COME dogs GET temperament
and behavior problems.

> Believe me,

Believe you? YOU'RE A FRAUD!!!

> I have housetrained over 50 dogs in my own home

BWEEEEHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> and have offered advice to hundreds on the subject.

BWEEEHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> If your pups have an accident in the house in front
> of you (and they may, as you NEVER let them out
> of your sight)

That's HOWE COME dogs learn to hid their
ON PUPORSES and THAT'S HOWE COME
dogs LEARN to DO THINGS to command
100% of your undivided attention, amy & phil FRAUD.

> you must clean it with a special enzymatic cleaner
> for pet urine,

That's SHEER IDIOCY. Dogs DO NOT mark over
their own spots. HOWEsbreaking problems are
CAUSED BY MISHANDLING, not scents in the HOWES.

> tell them "no"

You mean PUNISH the dog, amy & phil FRAUD.

> and carry them directly outside.

That will teach the dog to DO that behavior
so you can come PUNISH IT and take IT
HOWEtside, amy & phil dog abusing FRAUDS.

> Please note that this schedule is going to be this
> rigid for about the next 2 months

BWEEHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

You mean, insetad of TRAINING the pup NEARLY INSTANTLY?

> and then you will lose the second feeding,
> begin letting them out together instead of
> separately and they can have longer playtimes
> out of the crates.

Young pups need 4 feedings a day till abHOWET
twelve weeks then 3 feedings a day till six or nine
months...

> They will become very automatic at their little
> schedule and you can stop carrying them after
> a week or so and coax them to follow you outside.

BWEEHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

> If you are successful at preventing accidents and
> are very generous with your praise outdoors, this
> business of housetraining is going to go very quickly.

That so? Most dogs being "crate trained" LIVE in their
boxes 16-20 HOWERS per day for four months to two
years.

> If you decide to get lazy and let them run free in your house,

Then you could TRAIN IT.

> you are never going to get this done.

That's INSANE, you miserable dog abusing FRAUD.

> Good luck to you,

Dog trainin AIN'T LUCK. "Luck is for SUCKERS," The
Puppy Wizard's DADDY.

> and feel free to email me with your progress.

BWEEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> sincerely
> Amy the dog lady

You're a FRAUD and a dog abuser.

> ps. There is a lot of information on crate training
> on the net and in books that

The books that The Puppy Wizard has DISCREDITED.

> you may want to supplement my advise with.

So much for your EXXXPERT advice.

> What I gave you is the quick and dirty version

Of an incompetent dog abusing FRAUD.

> so you may have some questions in addition to this.

No dHOWET.

"The Methods, Principles, And Philosophy Of Behavior
Never Change, Or They'd Not Be Scientific And Would
Not Obtain Consistent, Reliable, Fast, Effective Results
For All Handler's And All Dogs, As Taught In Your FREE
Copy Of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog
Training Method Manual." The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0334@yahoo.com)
Subject: House training and such...
Date: 2003-10-08 16:18:56 PST

I've been having a problem with my dog, Axel,
relieving himself in the house while I'm away
from home.

I've used TPW method's, and yesterday I was out
for 12 hours, and Axel didn't have one single "accident".

Today, I had hoped that the results would be just as
good - and they were (I was out for 11 hours).

The problem began when, as a puppy, Axel would
relieve himself in the house and I would point at the
mess and tell him "NO" or "Bad Dog".

That made him afraid to relieve himself in the house
or infront of me.

After I got TPW's training manual, I corrected my
mishandling of these instances.

When I came home to an "accident", I would simply
drop a can near the area and ask Axel "What's that?"
Then I would clean it up - with out showing him I was
the least bit upset about the mess, and when he looked
at the spot I would tell him "Good boy, you're a good dog".

This has been an ongoing problem, and thanks to the
Puppy Wizard, we've finally got it taken care of...

Also, Axel LOVES the cat's litter box...He enjoys the
"snacks" he can find in there...I followed TPW's methods
by alternating sounds and praising him while or before
he sticks his nose in it, and today, he's been going into
the room with the cat box and barking. That's because
he's thinking about getting into the box, but he knows he
shouldn't.

Thank you, Jerry, for all you help. You've been a
blessing to all of us.

AIMEE

===================

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0334@yahoo.com):

I own a black an tan coonhound. We got him as a puppy, and
due to constant mishandling (pulling on his lead, negative
corrections, and the occasional use of a bark collar) I ended
up with a very anxious dog.

I couldn't leave him home alone, I couldn't crate him, I
couldn't even take my dog for walks because he feared
EVERYTHING.

I was going to have to get rid of him if things
didn't turn around.

My husband and I searched the internet for answers -
AND WE FOUND THE PUPPY WIZARD.

For all of you disbeliveers out there HIS METHODS WORK!

I've followed his manual, and we now have a dog
that can be left home alone, that heels on command,
that can go outside and NOT be afraid of everything
he sees.

Not only have his methods helped our dog, but our
marriage has gotten better. We had fallen into a
rut - constant bickering and tension, we never laughed
or had FUN together - but now, with the same mindset
used in THE PUPPY WIZARDS dog training, our
communications channels have opened, and we now
work together instead of against one another.

For all the "Literalists" out there, NO WE DID NOT
TEACH EACH OTHER TO SIT, STAY, OR HEEL.

We simply eliminated the nagging and the acting
out to get NEGATIVE attention from one another
since we weren't getting the POSITIVE attention
we wanted.

So, it's been proven - THE PUPPY WIZARDS METHODS WORK. It's up to
you to accept them. Yes, there's alot of
blame that we have to accept, but once we realize that
we've caused these problems to arise, we can strive to
make things better.

AIMEE

=================

:
:
:
:
:
:

=====================

:
:

========================

My student Anthony summed it all up:

"Alpha" <sweeney1@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> Well there you go, I was willing to believe but then jerry
> it was another hallucination of yours, just like all those
> thank you letters you write, a lie, a fabrication, a wank...
:
> > From: TESTA52601 (testa52601@aol.com)
> > Subject: Re: Thank you Jerry Howe
> > Date: 2002-03-28 10:01:34 PST
>
> > Alpha,
> > It's uneducated, ball breakers like you that create dismay
> > throughout this society. Get a life. you took apart a letter
> > from someone who has shown nothing but love and caring,
> > including lots of money and twisted it to YOUR point.
>
> > Ever consider politics? I challenge you to show me your
> > credentials and results you come up with. The things I did
> > with the dog WAS against MY wishes. However, I listen
> > to pencil neck geeks that sit behind a monitor and get 30
> > different suggestions.
>
> > This dog could not be happier if she
> > was gnawing on all three of your legs.
>
> > The bottom line to my letter was to tell people "don't
> > knock it until you try it"
>
> > P.S. Write me personally if you have any credentials.......

======================

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-20 21:52:24 EST

"Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Sounds like you've got your hands full.

SHOWENDS like you're full of malarkey.

"The Methods, Principles, And Philosophy Of Behavior Never
Change, Or They'd Not Be Scientific And Would Not Obtain
Consistent, Reliable, Fast, Effective Results For All Handler's
And All Dogs, As Taught In Your FREE Copy Of The Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual."
The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ )

Here's Disciple Paulie:

Disciple Paulie Sez: "No One Understands How Wits End
Training Really Works, They Assume It's All Nicey Nicey And
don't Realise It's A Very Disciplined Method That Deals With
Any Situation And The Foundation Is Built On Trust And
Understanding."

Disciple Paulie Writes:

I've never forced my dogs to do anything, I tell them they are
good dogs and they seem to follow me, once I told them they
were bad dogs and they ran away from me, now I only ever tell
them they are good dogs and they always are, always.

Trust your dog, ask it to do your request and say "good dog"
sincerely at the end of the request and I bet you'll find your
dog thinking then responding everytime.

A bit of respect works wonders, the same rule applies to every
aspect of the relationship with your dog.

Obedience and affection are not related, if they were everyone
would have obedient dogs.

Paul.

========================

Paul B <panders@zfree.co.nz> wrote in message

>> > "James Roberts" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I have downloaded and have read Jerry's Wit's End
> > document. Ignoring what you think of his participation,
> > what is your assessment of the merits of his
> > techniques?

Hello James,

I have used his recommended techniques and ideas with great
success, and over the period I've used these methods the more
I've become to understand and appreciate how his methods work
and how effective they can be if carried out correctly.

His manual isn't conventional and as such gets critisized and
misunderstood. The basic concept is to allow the dog to choose
whatever behaviour it wants for any situation but to distract
(and immediately praise ) it from behaviours we deem
undesirable, because of the correctly timed distractions
repeated usually about 4 times (in each location) the dog
decides of it own accord that this behaviour is undesriable
and therefore pursues something else, if that behaviour is
also inappropriate to us then we carry on distracting, very
soon the dog finds a behaviour that is mutually acceptable.

The benefits of this type of approach are numerous, Firstly we
aren't challenging the dog so there is no conflict so the dog
does't develop any possible negativity to us, the dog decides
of it own free will that a behaviour is unsatisfying so
chooses to cease it (in other words even if we are gone the
dog won't have any desire to pursue that behaviour i.e. bin
raiding etc).

I would recommend his manual.

Paul

=========================

From: Paul B (panders@zfree.co.nz) Subject: Re: Can pack
leader influence rank? Date: 2002-02-25 00:51:48 PST

I use sound to distract the dog and praise it immediately. The
reason for the immediate praise is that as soon as the dog is
distracted it's no longer thinking of the inappropriate
behaviour so the praise reinforces the "not doing" the
unwanted behaviour.

I use various sound sources, a soda can with stones in it, car
keys, Click my fingers, etc. Varying the direction of the
sound each time is important too, otherwise the dog may begin
to anticipate the sound and it will lose it's effect, if the
noise direction is random the dog won't get too familiar with
it and it will remain an effective distraction.

Remember too that we aren't trying to scare the bejesus outta
the dog, simply breaking it's train of thought while it's
thinking of the unwanted behaviour.

Sometimes you won't even see a reaction but the dog will have
been distracted fleetingly. (Recently one of my dogs started
habitually licking my feet while I was watching TV, I clicked
my fingers on her left side and told her "good girl" even
though she only paused her licking briefly, next I clicked
over her right side and praised, by about the 4th repeat she
suddenly stopped, I repeated this over a few nights and now
she doesn't lick any more, on the few occasions she absent
mindedly licks now all I do is click and praise and she
immediately stops).

Timing is important too, learn to anticipate when the dog is
thinking about doing the "dirty deed" and distract and praise
then, with any luck the dog will try again almost immediately
so distract and praise again, if the timing is correct after
about the 4th rep the dog will stop.

I could go on but this post is long enough already, remember
too that the dog isn't being a "bad dog", it's behaviour is
simply inappropriate for the circumstances.

Happy training, :-)

Paul

==========================

Subject: Re: Leadership and hieracy. And Tit For Tat... Date:
2003-02-26 18:24:01 PST

HOWEDY Disciple Paulie,

Paul B wrote:

> I was having a discussion the other day about leadership and
> hierarchy in the home environment.

Right... dog pack, Scout Pack, family pack, military platoon,
it's all the same same same same...

> I'm a firm believer that setting the hierarchy is very
> important in order to be able to train a dog and also to
> solve behaviour problems, anxieties etc.

Right. That's HOWE COME we don't have disobedience or fighting
in the ranks.

> I think that how we behave when the dog is about whether we
> are addressing the dog or not contributes to our dogs view
> of us.

Right. That's HOWE COME the military doesn't permit
fraternization between officers and enlisted personnel. That's
HOWE COME companies have executive toilets and cafeterias and
the military has enlisted and officers and NCO'S clubs, and
families have children's play rooms, adult bedrooms, and
common areas where neither sort have priority over the HOWES
rules.

> We were discussing how a persons personality affects the way
> the dog views and respects them.

Right. That's HOWE COME food bribes USURP the handler's
authority. The dog is working for a tangible item, not respect
for the pack rules.

Bribes teach GREED, not comaraderie.

> I argued that it's no use trying to impress the dog with
> your leadership abilities if in other areas you don't show
> the same.

Right. Same same as the reasons behind restricting
fraternization.

Makes sense in business too. The rules are about the same same
same same for your dogs, kids, spouses, employee's and
employers. We must never use force fear confrontation, or
HOWER AUTHORITY to enforce HOWER WILL.

That's HOWE COME we train the come command as a conditioned
reflex, there's no choice in the matter, it's strictly reflex.
Any command can be trained as a CR, but we don't want to do
that because it would inhibit the dog's THINKING and ability
and desire to RATIONALIZE, and SOLVE PROBLEMS and use his
senses to do his job to the best of his ability.

That's not to say we don't be PALS, just that there's a
certain modicum of respect for WON another that must always be
followed to insure strict discipline and proper authority.

THAT'S what makes for RESPECT.

IOW, we DON'T WANT TOTAL CONTROL based solely on REFLEX,
because we want the dog to WILLINGLY WANT TO DO AS WE ASK,
even if it's NOT EXXXACTLY HOWE WE ULTIMATELY WANT HIM TO
BEHAVE.

We're walking a middle line between total unthinking response,
and total COOPERATIVE EFFORT.

When cooperation fails, we reinstill HOWER authority by
pulling rank, IOW, using the come command as leverage to
subordinate the dog, and then return him to the heel or
PARTNERSHIP position, where he can start off again as a
partner, not a subordinate.

So we're DELEGATING AUTHORITY, in a sense, and we intervene
with a come command when the dog exceeds his bounds or fails
to achieve, and start over again till the behaviors are
LEARNED PUPPERLY and the dog is a WILLING WORKER.

Then the dog will NEVER question HOWER requests, cause to do
otherWIZE would be contraWIZE, to borrow a term from HOWER
professor SCRUFF SHAKE.

> For instance lets say you do exercises etc with the
> dog to set the hierarchy and act all in control in front
> it but are disorganized, easily flustered, indecisive,
> intimidated by others, etc in other aspects of your life.

That would likely make the dog overly protective... like if
some mugger was disturbing your XYL... you'd automatically
THUMP him. HOWEver, if the XYL had TOTAL CONTROL and showed
the mugger up to be a CHUMP, you'd stand there laughin your
@$$ of at them and give her a hug when she's finished
dispatching IT.

> My view is the dog is always observing you

Every last detail. My dogs know if I take off my reading
glasses and leave my desk, I'm fixin to be away for a few
minutes and they'll follow. If I step away from my desk
wearing my glasses, I'm just goin to a file to find somethin
and return to work, so they remain where they are cause they
know I'm not goin nowhere noHOWE.

> and will see you for what you really are -

Right. Dogs are not so EZ to FOOL as PEOPLE are.

> not a worthy leader in this example despite your attempts to
> convince the dog otherwise when your are one to one.

Right. The Puppy Wizzzard tries to find the middle line, so
the dog will be concerned about what's goin on, yet not overly
concerned and still confident of their position and regard for
their leadership.

It's a delicate balance between being totally in control, and
totally out of control. That's HOWE COME dogs protect
HOWErselves.

A STRONG, IRON WILLED LEADER NEEDS NO PROTECTION. An
INTELLIGENT, FRAGILE, leader NEEDS CONSTANT PROTECTION... so,
we WANT the dog to THINK we're AFRAID of things that go BUMP
in the nite.

We WANT HOWER dogs to believe we're delicate, so they won't
rougHOWES us.

> My observations seem to confirm this too,

INDEEDY.

> watching people with their dogs at parks etc, the more
> confident people seem to have better control of their dogs
> and better> behaved dogs than apparently less confident
> people.

Same same for military and businesses and family and
scouting...

That's HOWE COME The Puppy Wizzzard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog
Training Method Manual Students get BETTER CONTROL when their
dogs are OFF LEAD, than when they're restricted on lead.

The dog senses the TRUST and CONFIDENCE the handler has placed
on them to DO as they're REQUESTED, despite that there's no
apparent means of CORRECTING MISTAKES. That makes the dog FEEL
GOOD about working and paying attention and DOIN as he's
ASKED.

HOWEVER, WONce the dog is ORDERED to DO something, the trust
and confidence are eroded and the dog is MOORE likely to
challenge HOWER authority and will UNDOUBTEDLY fail to do the
command, cause he's gonna challenge your authority if he feels
put upon, and will be unwilling to comply, forcing the handler
to take action to regain control and ENFORCE HIS WILL.

WONce we get into a battle of the wills, the dog wins in EVERY
situation where we cannot force control.

> Not absolutely but just generally.

Well, we're talking about VERY SUBTLE effects having BIG
influences on ALL HOWER RELATIONSHIPS.

Like the chain of command in the military must never be
broken, we can establish similar rules for HOWER behavior
which will be followed by everyWON in the PACK, be it family,
dog, scouts, business, or military command.

> If I'm correct then is it possible our dogs obedience and
> behaviors etc are reflecting our self confidences?

ABSOLUTELY. Hesitating while giving commands, waiting for the
last command to be followed etc, detract from the dog's sense
of confidence in us, and shows him we're UNCERTAIN as to HIS
willingness to FOLLOW COMMANDS, just as it makes kids or wives
or employees and employers say NO!

> Paul

WONCE we learn HOWE to ESTABLISH the proper degree of CONTROL,

HOWER charges will follow suite because it's the MOST NATURAL
THING TO DO. We NEVER QUESTION pupper authority. HOWEver, if
we go over or under, we have FIGHTING in the ranks, MUTINY,
and DESERTION.

NOW there's only TWO questions remaining: HOWE do we instill
pupper discipline without repression to elicit 100% TOTAL NON
PHYSICAL CONTROL just like a military unit with HOWER dogs,
kids, spouses, employee's, employer's, and governments?

AND HOWE COME The Puppy Wizzzard NEVER FOLLOWED HIS OWN RULES
HERE ON HOWER FORUM, KNOWING FULL WELL, TO DO OTHERWIZE WILL
CERTAINLY CAUSE DISSENT, FIGHTING, HATRED, ANGER, EVEN DEATH?

The First question is ANSWERED IN FULL in your FREE copy of
The Puppy Wizzzard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual.

The SECOND question is answered in reading HOWER forum...
FIGGER IT OUT. The Puppy Wizzzard came here to IDENTIFY,
EXXXPOSE, DISCREDIT, and DESTROY the lying dog abusing Punk
Thug Cowards we got here who INTENTIONALLY HURT DOGS to
ENFORCE THEIR WILL AND WILL GLADLY KILL A BAD DOG, TO BE FAIR.

Kinda tit for tat, Disciple Paulie... It's a HARD LESSON, for
SHORE, but a NECESSARY WON, given the state of the art here
abouts.

Your Puppy Wizzzard. <}TPW : ~ { >

Here's Disciple Paulie's reply to roo (alikat) when she LIED
and said The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual is DANGERHOWES and INEFFECTIVE:

> Bollocks, the manual has no dangerous suggestions at all,
> people who find the manual useful are those that don't need
> to control a dog to satisfy their own ego but simply want a
> well behaved dog that is easy to live with.
>
> I would suggest the people who follow the advice in his
> manual are people who have already tried other inefficient
> methods and are fed up with the poor results.
>
> The more I think about the methods he suggests the more
> sense it makes, the biggest problem is people believe they
> have to be in control of the dog, tell it whats right and
> wrong, dogs don't understand our values and I don't believe
> they are capable of understanding them either, so to train
> them we use methods they understand.
>
> That means abstract training, doing sometimes what appears
> to > almost be the opposite of what makes sense to us.
>
> If you are purely result orientated then you will not find
> Jerry's manual much use, if you love your dogs and love to
> work WITH them then his manual is your dream come true.
> Distraction and praise works with any dog, when you sit back
> and really think about it, it's very obvious why.
>
> When a dog is properly distracted (and praised) of a
> particular behaviour then that behaviour very quickly
> becomes unfulfilling so the dog will no longer have any
> interest in pursuing it, whether we are about or not, thats
> the key to stopping garbage can raids and food stealing etc
> etc, no force, no bad dog, just distracting it in an
> appropriate manner that it no longer wishes to pursue that
> behaviour.
>
> Better than hiding the garbage can eh?
>
> Paul

=======================

Subject: Re: Get off the bed... please?

Paul B (NOSPAMpaulbousie@clear.net.nz) Subject: Good dogs!!!
bad dogs.?? Date: 2000/10/21

Something occurred this morning that made me think how we
treat our dogs and what expectations we have of them.

Because it was a Saturday we slept in and the dogs eventually
jumped up on the bed on my wife's side. After a brief greeting
she very abruptly demanded they get down, "OFF THE BED" she
insisted, Sam looked at her perplexed, so she repeated the
"order", so Sam tried to lick her face, "GET OFF" she said
abruptly.

Sam got down but was unsure what he had done wrong. After a
bit they both came over and jumped up on my side, I patted
them etc and eventually asked them to get down, "off the bed,
good dogs" and they hopped off immediately with no prob's.

Eileen asked me why they obey me and not her so easily. I told
her they got down for me because I asked them to, they know
the command "off the bed" or "off anything" so there is no
need to demand it of them, ask them and they will comply,
demand it and they get confused because they think you are
annoyed with them but they don't know why so they try to "make
amends" which is why Sam licked her.

I have found giving dogs "payment" in advance i.e. "Sam sit
goodboy" makes the dogs want to respond, after all, all dogs
want to be "good dogs" and if you tell them they are good then
they feel an obligation to obey your request.

Telling Sam he's a good dog after he sit's apart from been too
late is also a gamble because if he doesn't sit then there's
no positive interaction.

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpanders@zfree.co.nz) Subject: Re: Get off
the bed... please? Date: 2001-07-03 03:05:59 PST

"Paul B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "shaper" <nomail@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have been reading these forums for a few weeks now,
> > and am getting really confused!! but is there actually
> > anyone who has used the methods in this manual with any
> > success ?

100% TOTAL NON PHYSICAL CONTROL, NEARLY INSTANTLY, BY NEARLY
EVERY FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual Student.

It's the GENTLEST, FASTEST, MOST EFFECTIVE, NON FORCE, NON
CONFRONTATIONAL, NON BRIBE, SCIENTIFIC and PSYCHOLOGICAL
technique in the Whole Wild World, BAR NONE.

===============================

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Bousie"
<*e@clear.net.nz> To: "'Don Fitz'"
<*9@hotmail.com>; <Amanda@DCFWatch.com> Cc:
<*2@bellsouth.net> Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 5:45 AM
Subject: RE: Jerry Howe

> If you have read the newsgroup posts then you must already
> have a good idea about what I think.
>
> His methods are the best I have come across.
>
> They aren't a quick fix but an entire training concept so
> if you aren't in for the long haul then don't bother. If
> you go his way then you have to forget all the other
> gibberish that other people spew, you have to believe in
> what you are doing, then and only then will you get the
> results.
>
> You can't combine his methods with other training methods,
> not until you understand what you are trying to achieve, and
> even then I have only ever combined about 2 other trainers
> ideas and even then just a snip of what they suggest which
> works in parallel with the Wits End concept.
>
> His methods make you as the trainer completely responsible
> for your actions, his methods make you think and work out
> your own solutions for any given situation, the default (the
> recall) is always there to get things under control again.
> His ideas and concepts teach you to work with the dog, to
> develop a team and a willingness to work together which is
> surely the best way to be. His methods don't use force or
> intimidation but they do totally emphasize the absolute
> importance of pack (family pack) structure, without that you
> can achieve almost nothing.
>
> If you are wondering how a dog can be trained without any
> negativity the answer lies in the recall, anytime your dog
> doesn't follow through with a request you call him / her to
> you, since the recall is the first thing taught and it is
> taught in such a way it becomes a reflex the dog always
> returns to you, it is a subordinate position for the dog and
> we release it by asking for a "heel" which is an "equal"
> position.
>
> His methods are very good, his understanding of dogs is
> excellent, I recommend his methods.
>
> Paul Bousie

==============================

"Linda" <llindaleedaniel@msn.com> wrote in message

I have posted about my dog Sunshine before who was aggressive
to all people and dogs until I found and used the Wits End
Training methods.

He is now great--can go any where and he is fine with people
and dog even when they get in his face on a flexi lead! He
still had problem with stress that was making him scratch him
self raw in places--he nose has had a sore for the last month.

We started using the Doggy Do Right and his nose was almost
healed when the machine went off. The next day he was
scratching and opened the sore on his nose again.

Twelve hours after I turned it back on he quit scratching and
his nose is healing again. The machine does work.

I have two barking dogs behind me that have reduced their
barking a lot. In fact when we were out walking one them came
over to visit and the owner did not notice he was gone since
he did not bark at us as he usually did.

The Wits End Training Method works, the problems I have had
are the result I having trouble breaking my old patterns.

My dog got it fast but kept getting confused when I had
trouble getting the commands together. I always thought I
used praise but I really did not until I started using the
Wits End Method of sound and praise. In the past it took a lot
of treats to get him to do something--now I have been able to
teach him several things like pull the laundry basket with
just praise. He really likes it better I think and does not
seem to miss the treats for jobs.

If you have problem with your dog try the Wits End Method--it
is free and it works and it improves your relationship. So
much of dog training is force and using pain to get a dog to
do something that a method that works and does not rely on
pain, force, or "corrections" is wonderful for both owner and
dog. Don't think something that is free can not be good
because I have spent more hours and more thousands of dollars
than I though possible in the three years with Sunshine and
nothing helped until I found the Wits End Method of sound and
praise.

==================================

--- Original Message ----- From: Paul Bousie To: The Puppy
Wizard Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 8:00 AM Subject: Geday.

Hey J,

I see nothings changed on the NG. Still the same old crappy
advice and misunderstanding of the only advice worth reading.

The problem with your method J is that I can't answer the
questions on the NG no more, people are after a quick fix,
they don't want to understand that dog training requires a
disiplined method, I'm now really understanding that they are
all result orientated, they want the dog to sit, to down, to
stay, to come, to stop it's "bad" behaviours, they want to
stamp out each anxiety one at a time not realising they create
a new one as they deal with the last.

I feel sorry for them, they don't understand, they don't even
realise the errors of thier ways and they arn't self thinkers,
they follow the majority, after all if everyone says thats the
way then it must be. I've finally realised people don't want
to learn to train dogs they want a trained dog, they want a
little puppet that sits and stays and downs and does all the
nice doggy stuff or so they think, then when the dog acts like
a dog they come squealing to the NG asking how to stop the dog
being a dog.

I have a nice little visulisation of a dogs mind that I think
demonstrates the way we approach dog training. Imagine lots of
little circles all in a cluster, each one representing a dog
anxiety or behaviour ( desied or not), each circle represents
something about the dog, all of them create what a dog is.

The traditional way to train a dog is to stamp out the "bad"
circles, try to eliminate as many as you can, problem is each
one you stamp out another takes it's place (anxiety circles
can't be destroyed they just change), obviously it's a futile
exercise, but thats the traditional way.

Now imagine a big circle that completely surrounds all the
small circles, this big circle is the whole dog, that's what
we get hold of with all the little circles inside, we don't
see the little circles we see the BIG circle the macro as you
put it and use that to train.

I laugh now when I see posts critisising you, they are
critising something they don't even understand or even have
the capacity to understand.

See ya,

Paul

=====================

HOWEDY Disciple Paulie,

"Paul B" <abcde@clear.net.nz> wrote in message

> "culprit" <kelly_marsops@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > so you trust someone you know nothing about,

Sez a certified MENTAL CASE...

> > someone you found on the internet,

Like HOWE you fHOWEND The Puppy Wizard, eh Disciple Paulie?

> > more than a professional dog trainer?

BWEEEAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

She means a professional DOG ABUSER.

> > how odd.

Ain't it QUEER.

> > -kelly

BWEEEAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

> Not odd really, if you trust your instincts and have the
> confidence to try some thing that you believe in and can
> relate to.

Oh? Well THAT'S the PROBLEM here abHOWETS
Disciple Paulie. We got LIARS DOG ABUSERS
THUGS PUNKS COWARDS and MENTAL CASES
who WANT to HURT and KILL dogs and get HOWET
callin THAT, trainin.

> I tried 4 pro trainers,

Yeah... didn't do much good. Your dogs had a boatload of
problems when we first met here.

> non of them "connected" with me, I found more "direction" on
> the net than any trainer provided me,

That's on accHOWENT of there ain't no other trainer who's got
a proven effective method, EXXXCEPT The Puppy Wizard.

> I learnt to think through my own solutions and
> learnt to really communicate with the dogs, the pro trainers
> were really only interested in getting "results"

And THAT'S HOWE COME their dogs FLUNK 10% of the time,
MINIMUM, GUARANTEED. See The Puppy Wizard's post "Misbehavior Of
Organisms." That'll EXXXPLAIN HOWE
COME the BEHAVIORISTS can't TRAIN a critter
CONSISTENTLY 100% EFFECTIVELY and withHOWET
HURTIN THEM.

> so I'd think my hard earned cash was well spent,

When you first met The Puppy Wizard your dogs were escaping
your yard and doin lots of stuff you needed to work on.

> where as on the Net I learnt to think things through and
> achieve a communication with the dogs.

And nHOWE you NEVER got to tell them NO.

> It doesn't matter that you know nothing about
> someone, if you you have half a brain

Well that'd be overly generHOWES here abHOWETS.

> what you read of them will soon tell you if they know their
> subject.

Let's talk abHOWET SAR dogs and lying "I LOVE
KOEHLER" lynn's past history of RETIRING her
SAR dog before ever WORKIN in SAR cause SHE
HURT HER DOG and he got WIZE to the fact that
she could HURT him in the ring where he got high
scores but COULDN'T HURT HIM on a REAL LIFE
SAR site cause she doesn't know where the FIND
is so she don't know WHEN TO HURT HIM.

> Paul

The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >