Dog Discussion: Please Help. What Dog Is This?

Please Help. What Dog Is This?

Gene
2003-07-19 17:32:33 EST
We have rescued this young dog a few weeks ago. Nobody, even at the
animal shelter, were able to tell us what dog is he.
His characteristics are:
Age: between 18 and 24 months
Height: 24"
Length: 24"
Tail: short 2.5", stubby, conical, it does not seem docked.
Coat: at the saddle: wiry. Legs and abdomen: soft & fluffy
Very fast runner (almost fast as a whippet)
Adores to hunt (unsuccessfully) critters by digging borrows where they
hide (prairie dogs, ground squirrels etc.)
Tend to herd other dogs.
Very smart and friendly.
I appreciate some help in identifying the breed.

I posted the pictures of him in the newsgroup:
alt.binaries.pictures.animals
under the title "Pictures of Mac".

Thank you very much.

--
Gene
emberti at yahoo dot com

*@copper.net
2003-07-19 23:03:34 EST
i only found replies & no picture. could you post it on this?

Gene <emberti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We have rescued this young dog a few weeks ago. Nobody, even at the
> animal shelter, were able to tell us what dog is he.
> His characteristics are:
> Age: between 18 and 24 months
> Height: 24"
> Length: 24"
> Tail: short 2.5", stubby, conical, it does not seem docked.
> Coat: at the saddle: wiry. Legs and abdomen: soft & fluffy
> Very fast runner (almost fast as a whippet)
> Adores to hunt (unsuccessfully) critters by digging borrows where they
> hide (prairie dogs, ground squirrels etc.)
> Tend to herd other dogs.
> Very smart and friendly.
> I appreciate some help in identifying the breed.
>
> I posted the pictures of him in the newsgroup:
> alt.binaries.pictures.animals
> under the title "Pictures of Mac".
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Gene
> emberti at yahoo dot com
> (Messages trashed without the word KEYWAY in subject line)

M Bliss
2003-07-20 00:58:04 EST
JMO
unusual mix ...
His muzzle, eyes, ears and face coat - look like an Irish Wolfhound or
Scottish Deerhound
The length of leg and high rump and length of body - look like an OES
In one photo I'd swear he was a cross between a Berger Picard and an OES and
the 2 coat textures would also hint at that, plus the colouring;
but....
for 24 months, the size does not fit any of those breeds.

Perhaps a Beardie could contribute to the smaller size also giving that OES
look as well but the speed and length of leg tell me Hound somewhere there
too.

I'd say there were definitely more than 2 breeds in his make-up - keeping us
all guessing forever.

Very cute though and not impressed about posing for pics :)

======================

"Gene" <emberti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We have rescued this young dog a few weeks ago. Nobody, even at the
> animal shelter, were able to tell us what dog is he.
> His characteristics are:
> Age: between 18 and 24 months
> Height: 24"
> Length: 24"
> Tail: short 2.5", stubby, conical, it does not seem docked.
> Coat: at the saddle: wiry. Legs and abdomen: soft & fluffy
> Very fast runner (almost fast as a whippet)
> Adores to hunt (unsuccessfully) critters by digging borrows where they
> hide (prairie dogs, ground squirrels etc.)
> Tend to herd other dogs.
> Very smart and friendly.
> I appreciate some help in identifying the breed.
>
> I posted the pictures of him in the newsgroup:
> alt.binaries.pictures.animals
> under the title "Pictures of Mac".
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Gene
> emberti at yahoo dot com
> (Messages trashed without the word KEYWAY in subject line)

Montana
2003-07-20 09:49:57 EST
In article <3f18b415_1@newsfeed>, <pirate2120@copper.net> wrote:

> i only found replies & no picture. could you post it on this?

snip

> > I posted the pictures of him in the newsgroup:
> > alt.binaries.pictures.animals
> > under the title "Pictures of Mac".
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > --
> > Gene

Gene posted the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.animals (which is a
good place to post images). This is a text only newsgroup, so posting
images (binaries) is not allowed. It's possible to do it, of course, but
it's "bad form". Hope that helps.

*@copper.net
2003-07-20 14:20:17 EST
i knew where they posted the pictures at but when i went to that newsgroup i
didn't find any of the pictures. i found some replies to that post, but no
pictures.
why does it really matter if we post pictures here?

just curious.

montana <montana@wildhack.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <3f18b415_1@newsfeed>, <pirate2120@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > i only found replies & no picture. could you post it on this?
> >

> snip
>

> > > I posted the pictures of him in the newsgroup:
> > > alt.binaries.pictures.animals
> > > under the title "Pictures of Mac".
> > >
> > > Thank you very much.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gene
>
> Gene posted the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.animals (which is a
> good place to post images). This is a text only newsgroup, so posting
> images (binaries) is not allowed. It's possible to do it, of course, but
> it's "bad form". Hope that helps.

Montana
2003-07-20 16:09:54 EST
In article <3f198aef$1_4@newsfeed>, <pirate2120@copper.net> wrote:

> why does it really matter if we post pictures here?
>
> just curious.

Binaries take up space and many news-servers will not carry binary
groups because of it. If there are a number of binaries posted to a
non-binary group, a server may choose to drop it. Many newsreaders strip
out any images or html so there are a number of people who will not see
the images. Many people who aren't in North America pay by the minute
for internet access. Receiving binaries slows them down and costs them
money, when they weren't choosing to receive that kind of file. Lastly,
it's just a matter of Netiquette not to post binaries to a non-binary
group. It's also a good way to get killfiled.

Dr
2004-04-18 10:40:15 EST

Please post pictures on your own site, or on one of the many free
sites available. That way all of us can enjoy the picture.
It is very poor form to post here or on any newsgroup.

Thanx

Ron C.