Dog Discussion: Looking For Information On Huskies

Looking For Information On Huskies

John Robertson
2004-01-12 00:07:18 EST
I am looking to get some info on caring for a siberian husky, before I go
out and buy one. My parents once owned a sibe when I was a kid, and from
what I can remember the dog was very playful and never exhibited any kind of
bad behavior. The current setup as of now, I live my dad, and we own about 4
acres, with horses, and a mix breed of a wiener dog/Lopsa Apso. I plan to
get a pup, instead of adopting a full grown, that way the pup can get use to
us while growing up. Any information would be appreciated, and if any of you
people are from Arkansas and know of a good breeder, maybe we can get in
contact, and see about picking up a pup. Thanks for the help

John Robertson

ZPL
2004-01-12 00:30:23 EST
If you do a general web search (not just google), there should be sites with
message boards for the sibes. Yahoo should have one, and I have found some
of their boards to be very informative.

"John Robertson" <johndanielrobertson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to get some info on caring for a siberian husky, before I go
> out and buy one. My parents once owned a sibe when I was a kid, and from
> what I can remember the dog was very playful and never exhibited any kind
of
> bad behavior. The current setup as of now, I live my dad, and we own about
4
> acres, with horses, and a mix breed of a wiener dog/Lopsa Apso. I plan to
> get a pup, instead of adopting a full grown, that way the pup can get use
> us while growing up. Any information would be appreciated, and if any of
you
> people are from Arkansas and know of a good breeder, maybe we can get in
> contact, and see about picking up a pup. Thanks for the help
>
> John Robertson

Amy & Phil Fernandes
2004-01-12 09:26:06 EST
Hi John,

I am a little concerned that you are getting a husky because you think they
won't exhibit any bad behaviours. As a trainer and behaviourist I can assure
you that the nordic breeds are some of the most challenging breeds as far as
training goes and they can exhibit many troublesome behaviours in the hands
of the inexperienced.
Several things I can say about Siberian Huskies in general, and this comes
with a firm backing from a close friend of mine who is a world-class breeder
of sibes.
1. They are likely to be independent and stubborn
2. When unproperly fenced (proper is at least a six footer with
reinforcements against digging). they are very prone to wandering.
3. They need a lot of activity
4. they like the companionship of other dogs
5. They suffer in the extreme heat
6. When bored they are extremely destructive.
7. They enjoy a good howl once and a while
8. They shed heavily at least twice a year.
9. Some of them have a strong prey drive and love to kill livestock and
small animals.
10. Males can have a tendency to challenge other dogs .

OK so I got all of the negatives out. That being said I am not a Sibe. hater
by any means. They just aren't a dog that people should ever have if they
aren't into exercise and they don't mind a dog that is going to take some
innovative methods when training. When you go to a breeder make sure they
are one that knows how to properly coax a sibe into training and keep its
attention. These dogs really like to do their own thing, it is their nature.
I am concerned that your property may also not be fenced, this will be a
huge problem for you....no dog should be tied outdoors remember. Lots of
people like to get sibes because they like the idea of a dog that looks like
a wolf and get them for the sheer beauty of the dog. I have seen countless
huskies come to me for behaviour mod. or are relinquished to shelters
because their owners were not up to the challenges they face. they are also
one of the most likely breeds to be found at the side of the road, hit by
cars because they love to wander, especially if they can chase wildlife.
Anyway if you are still insisting on getting a sibe I hope you will prepare
yourself by reading a lot of material on the net and in books. Calling the
AKC and getting a listing of breeders is a helpful start, make sure you
research what makes a good one...that is a whole different story. Like I
said there are tons of huskies in shelters all over the US, and I can
honestly say it is not only easier to train a grown dog, but you may get one
that is already housebroken and/or obedience trained. There is absolutely no
difference as far as bonding goes between an adult and a pup that you bring
into your home. I have adopted 5 adult dogs that have no desires for their
old owner whatsoever...honestly. I took my time assessing their temperaments
when I picked them out and if you do that and work with shelter staff you
will probably be a happy camper. Just take an afternoon out and go see a
couple of animal shelters....you will agree with me I guarantee it. Anyway
Sibes can be affectionate and quiet dogs if you are a careful owner. They
have low aggression toward people compared to some other breeds (if they are
socialized). And they are relatively genetically healthy. Anyway do some
research and take a look at petfinder.org. and see what you can find.
good luck
sincerely
Amy the dog lady.

"John Robertson" <johndanielrobertson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to get some info on caring for a siberian husky, before I go
> out and buy one. My parents once owned a sibe when I was a kid, and from
> what I can remember the dog was very playful and never exhibited any kind
of
> bad behavior. The current setup as of now, I live my dad, and we own about
4
> acres, with horses, and a mix breed of a wiener dog/Lopsa Apso. I plan to
> get a pup, instead of adopting a full grown, that way the pup can get use
> us while growing up. Any information would be appreciated, and if any of
you
> people are from Arkansas and know of a good breeder, maybe we can get in
> contact, and see about picking up a pup. Thanks for the help
>
> John Robertson

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-12 11:47:56 EST
HOWEDY Amy & Phil Fernandes,

"Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca>
wrote in message

> Hi John,

The Puppy Wizard asked you to comment on some
standard trainin and behavior problems, to which you
failed to respond.

> I am a little concerned that you are getting a husky

A dog is a dog, Amy & Phil Fernandez.

> because you think they won't exhibit any bad behaviours.

As a BEHAVIORIST you KNOW dogs DO NOT exhibit
BAD BEHAVIORS cause they're DUMB ANIMALS that
only respond in PREDICTABLE INNATE NORMAL NATURAL
INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE manner to situations and
circumstances of their environments which we create for them.

Ain't that correct, Mme. BEHAVIORIST.

> As a trainer and behaviourist I can assure
> you that the nordic breeds are

JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DOG. A dog is a dog.
Isn't that correct, Mme. DOG TRAINER.

> some of the most challenging breeds as far as training goes

Oh? You mean cause they don't LIKE to be DOMINATED.

> and they can exhibit many troublesome behaviours

That's only on accHOWENT of they're ABUSED
by EXXXPERT DOG TRAINERS and BEHAVIORISTS
who HURT and INTIMIDATE dogs to train them.

Ain't that correct, Mme. DOG TRAINER / BEHAVIORIST.

> in the hands of the inexperienced.

Or the TRULY INCOMPETENT.

> Several things I can say about Siberian Huskies in general,

As opposed to sayin sumpthin abHOWET dogs, in general?

> and this comes with a firm backing from a close
> friend of mine who is a world-class breeder of sibes.

Oh, well THAT EXXXPLAINS HOWE COME what you're
abHOWET to say will be derogatory to the BREED.

> 1. They are likely to be independent and stubborn

Only if you REPULSE them with your fear force
intimidation bribery and crating.

> 2. When unproperly fenced (proper is at least a six footer

Any dog can be PERIMETER TRAINED nearly INSTANTLY.

> with reinforcements against digging).

Digging is an anxiHOWESSNESS BEHAIVOR PROBLEM.

> they are very prone to wandering.

No, they're PRONE to ESCAPING their abusers.

> 3. They need a lot of activity

No. INCOMPETENT dog trainers rely on excessive
exercise to expiate their dog's anxiHOWES behaviors.

> 4. they like the companionship of other dogs

Or people or kats.

> 5. They suffer in the extreme heat

That so? You mean, like any other dog.

> 6. When bored they are extremely destructive.

Bored dogs SLEEP. DESTRUCTIVE behavior
is an ANXIHOWESNESS RELIEF MECHANISM.

> 7. They enjoy a good howl once and a while

So does The Puppy Wizard.

> 8. They shed heavily at least twice a year.

As most dogs do, but usually TWICE a year.

> 9. Some of them have a strong prey drive

That so?

> and love to kill livestock and small animals.

NO. Dogs KILL animals cause they're MISHANDLED.

> 10. Males can have a tendency to challenge other dogs .

NO. Dogs FIGHT cause they're MISHANDLED.

> OK so I got all of the negatives out.

NOT HARDLY. You STILL GOT The Puppy WIzard...

> That being said I am not a Sibe. hater

No, but you ARE an incomptente blowhard and dog abuser.

> by any means.

BY EVERY MEANS.

> They just aren't a dog that people should ever
> have if they aren't into exercise and they don't
> mind a dog that is going to take some innovative
> methods when training.

BWEEEEAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

YOU'RE FULL OF CRAP.

> When you go to a breeder make sure they
> are one that knows how to properly coax a
> sibe into training and keep its attention.

Oh? Don't YOU have THAT advice?

> These dogs really like to do their own thing,

Well, perhaps that's on accHOWENT of you jerk
and choke and shock them?

> it is their nature.

NO. That's your human nature. You're tryin to
BLAME THE BREED for your incompetence.

> I am concerned that your property may also not
> be fenced,

Well THAT'S HOWE COME we TRAIN DOGS not
to leave their TERRITORY.

AINT IT, Mme. BEHAVIORIST / DOG TRAINER.

> this will be a huge problem for you....

NO. It'as a HUGE PROBLEM FOR YOU... cause
you're an incompetent blowhard.

> no dog should be tied outdoors remember.

That so? What's WRONG with tying a dog?

> Lots of people like to get sibes because they
> like the idea of a dog that looks like a wolf and
> get them for the sheer beauty of the dog.

IMAGINE THAT??? Shameful, ain't it.

> I have seen countless huskies come to me for
> behaviour mod. or are relinquished to shelters
> because their owners were not up to the challenges
> they face. they are also one of the most likely breeds
> to be found at the side of the road, hit by cars because
> they love to wander, especially if they can chase wildlife.

Well, you must have had a lotta SUCCESSES to report...

> Anyway if you are still insisting on getting a sibe

Can you provied WON TESTIMONIAL from a Sibe
owner who's PROBLEM DOG you've REHABILITATED?

> I hope you will prepare yourself

LikeWIZE.

> by reading a lot of material on the net and in books.

You mean the same kinda BULLSHIT you've read?

> Calling the AKC and getting a listing of breeders
> is a helpful start, make sure you research what
> makes a good one...that is a whole different story.

Yeah... a different story.

> Like I said there are tons of huskies in shelters
> all over the US, and I can honestly say it is not
> only easier to train a grown dog, but you may
> get one that is already housebroken and/or
> obedience trained.

BWEEEAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

So much for your EXXXPERTISE.

> There is absolutely no difference as far as
> bonding goes between an adult and a pup
> that you bring into your home.

That so?

> I have adopted 5 adult dogs that have no desires
> for their old owner whatsoever...

Perhaps that's on accHOWENT of they was abused
or they wouldn't have been DUMPED. If you was a
COMPETENT TRAINER you'd have REHABILITATED
those dogs and they would have stayed in their original
HOWEses.

> honestly.

Yeah. HONESTLY.

> I took my time assessing their temperaments
> when I picked them out and if you do that and
> work with shelter staff you will probably be a
> happy camper.

Yeah. Or he'd do well to pick a pup from a nice
litter and train IT according to The Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual.

>Just take an afternoon out and go see a
> couple of animal shelters....you will agree
> with me I guarantee it.

That so? Like HOWE you GUARANTEE your TRAINING?

> Anyway

You mean anyHOWE.

> Sibes can be affectionate and quiet dogs if you
> are a careful owner.

That so? You mean every thing you said above is a LIE?
Or are you lying nHOWE???

> They have low aggression toward people
> compared to some other breeds (if they are
> socialized).

That so? The Puppy Wizard sez you're full of crap.

> And they are relatively genetically healthy. Anyway
> do some research and take a look at petfinder.org.
> and see what you can find.

Yeah. Get someWON else's ABUSED dog.

> good luck

Dog trainin AIN'T LUCK, Amy & Phil Fernandez,
professional dog trainer / behaviorist...

> sincerely
> Amy the dog lady.

SHOWENDS like your a BULLSHIT ARTIST.

BWEAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

BOTH THESE GUYS GOT DEAD DOGS CAUSE
THEY DIDN'T BELIEVE THEIR Puppy Wizzzard
TILL IT WAS TOO LATE:

=====================

============

<"Terri"@cyberhighway

> Hey, do like me, and killfile Jerry.
> He has millions of people aleady reading his posts and
> watching him extract his soggy foot out of his mouth!
> Out of these MILLIONS, I've only seen 2 naive childs
> come forward and actually believe in his training manual.

Robert Crim writes:

I assume that I and my wife are those two naive childs
since I freely admit to having read and, I hope,
understood enough of the manual and it's counterparts by
John Fisher and the posts of Marilyn Rammell to believe
and use it.

This naive child would like to say thank you to both
Jerry and Marilyn for putting up with a constant barrage
of really infantile crap at the hands of supposedly
adult dog lovers.

The other naive child (LSW) has to put up with the
nagging idea that if people like them had been posting
earlier, maybe we would not have had to hold the head
of a really magnificent animal in our arms while he was
given the needle and having to hug him and wait until he
gasped his last gasp.

To my mind, "naive" is believing you can terrorize a dog
into good behavior. Naive is believing that people that
hide behind fake names are more honest than people that
use their real names. Naive is thinking that dilettante
dog breeders and amateur "trainers" like Joey
(lyingdogDUMMY, j.h.) are the equal or better than
those that have studied and lived by their craft for
decades.

"Stupid" is believing that people do not see kindergarten
level insults for what they are. Really stupid is believing
that people like Jerry Howe and Marilyn Rammell are
going to just go away because you people act like fools.

Why do you act like fools? I really have no idea, and I
don't really care.

> And, to date: I've not seen ONE come forward and
> actually admit to buying and having success with his
> little black box.

I think I'm going to get one myself for Father's day and
take it down to the Animal Shelter for their use and
testing. You would never believe the results, so you'll
never know.

> Anyone by now that doesn't see a scam man coming by
> Jerry's posts deserves to get what is sure to be coming
> to him! LOL!

I don't see a "scam man", so I guess I and Longsuffering
Wife and Rollei will just have to get what we deserve,
eh? As Joey (Dogman) says, "poor Rollei.".......right.

>Terri

Yes it was, and that is sad.

Robert, Longsuffering Wife and Rollei (do I get to
listen to the box first?)

===============

Thank you,
Jerry Howe,
Director of Research,
BIOSOUND Scientific
Director of Training,
Wits' End Dog Training
1611 24th St
Orlando, FL 32805
Phone: 1-407-425-5092
http://www.doggydoright.com

The Puppy Wizard. <{}TPW ; - ) >

ANY QUESTIONS, DUMMIES?
,-._,-,
V)"(V
(_o_) Have a great day!
/ V)
(l l l) Your Puppy Wizzzard. <{}YPW ; ~ } >
oo-oo

User
2004-01-12 17:36:39 EST
I have a Siberian I adopted after she was abandoned. (Actually, she was
thrown out of a car window when she was about six months old.)

I agree with much of what Amy has said here. Siberians are full of love
and energy, so you have to devote lots and lots of time to them. They
can get into all sorts of trouble if the owner is lax.

My Siberian is female and very alpha. So there I would disagree with Amy
-- it's not just male Sibes that challenge other dogs. My girl wants to
challenge and dominate every dog she meets, no matter the size. I have
trained her to sit and stay on command, no matter what is happening.
However, if unsupervised, she will jump on another dog and try to bring
it down like prey.

Siberians also have a very strong prey instict when it comes to small
dogs, not just small animals. If you have a little wiener/Lhasa Apso
mix, a Siberian might think it's a playtoy, not another dog. You might
not ever be able to leave the Siberian alone with the other guy.

Rather than getting a puppy, I would suggest you consider adopting a
grown Siberian. That way you can test the dog with your other guy and
also see how well the dog responds to obedience commands.

If you want to meet other Siberian owners and have more questions, Yahoo
has a number of Siberian groups. Some popular ones are:

Husky-4-Life
HuskyManiacs
siberian_husky
siberianhuskies3
SiberianHusky
siberianhuskyrescue

If you type any of the above names into the search box, it'll take you
ro the group.

Amy & Phil Fernandes wrote:
> [...]
> Amy the dog lady.
>
> "John Robertson" <johndanielrobertson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am looking to get some info on caring for a siberian husky, before I go
>>out and buy one. My parents once owned a sibe when I was a kid, and from
>>what I can remember the dog was very playful and never exhibited any kind
>
> of
>
>>bad behavior. The current setup as of now, I live my dad, and we own about
>
> 4
>
>>acres, with horses, and a mix breed of a wiener dog/Lopsa Apso. I plan to
>>get a pup, instead of adopting a full grown, that way the pup can get use

>>us while growing up. Any information would be appreciated, and if any of
>
> you
>
>>people are from Arkansas and know of a good breeder, maybe we can get in
>>contact, and see about picking up a pup. Thanks for the help

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-15 11:34:38 EST
Your dog is aggressive because you mishandle IT.