Dog Discussion: Got A Question About Dogs? I've Got Answers :)

Got A Question About Dogs? I've Got Answers :)

Amy & Phil Fernandes
2004-01-07 16:09:32 EST
Hi there,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Amy and I am an associate
professor of animal behaviour, I have personally trained hundreds of dogs
with progressive methods that make sense and actually get results, and as
well I am a certified Master Dog Groomer. I would be happy to offer advice
for any of your doggie questions free of charge as my time permits. Serious
questions only please, I would love to help you get some sound advice for
free.

sincerely
Amy the dog lady.

Just Me
2004-01-14 13:16:03 EST
Amy how do I get a 1 year old Labrador to quit jumping a 3 1/2 foot wooden
fence? He has a huge yard, all of the toys he needs and a boy that runs him
5 miles a day. He only jumps the fence when everyone leaves or everyone is
in the house for a long time. He is an outside dog with a very well
insulated dog house plenty of food and lots of water.
"Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Amy and I am an associate
> professor of animal behaviour, I have personally trained hundreds of dogs
> with progressive methods that make sense and actually get results, and as
> well I am a certified Master Dog Groomer. I would be happy to offer advice
> for any of your doggie questions free of charge as my time permits.
Serious
> questions only please, I would love to help you get some sound advice for
> free.
>
> sincerely
> Amy the dog lady.

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-14 21:09:58 EST
HOWEDY just me,

"Just Me" <notgiven@myweb.com> wrote in message
> Amy how do I get a 1 year old Labrador to quit jumping a 3
> 1/2 foot wooden fence? He has a huge yard, all of the toys
> he needs and a boy that runs him 5 miles a day. He only
> jumps the fence when everyone leaves or everyone is in the
> house for a long time. He is an outside dog with a very
> well insulated dog house plenty of food and lots of water.
> "Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in
> message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Amy and I am
> > an associate professor of animal behaviour, I have
> > personally trained hundreds of dogs with progressive
> > methods that make sense and actually get results, and as
> > well I am a certified Master Dog Groomer. I would be happy
> > to offer advice for any of your doggie questions free of
> > charge as my time permits.
> Serious
> > questions only please, I would love to help you get some
> > sound advice for free.
> >
> > sincerely Amy the dog lady.

The Puppy Wizard got $100.00 to BET Amy doesn't have an
EFFECTIVE METHOD of TRAINING your dog not to ESCAPE.

The Puppy Wizard. <{} ; ~ ) >

From: Nevyn (greatdane@badmama.com.au) Subject: Re: radio
fence Date: 2003-11-05 04:17:45 PST

Hi folks,

In my opinion the use of a radioshock fence is a waste of
time, effort or money. I can understand it if you a rich snob
who cares nothing about their dogs safey or behaviours.

At work I boundary train all the dogs to the bricked area
(Four kennels with 26 cages with 1 dog in each, 1 services
building and 2 catterys which is surrounded by scrubland to
the east and woodlands to the north and a lake to the west).

This works well, because then when people buy them the dogs
are easier to boundary train to a door or fence or yard.

However on a personal note, my two shelter mutts, who I
trained using the WITS END DOG MANUAL available at
www.doggydoright.com will not go past the back door, or the
back gate or the front gate without permission.

And it is nice, for when you are having a party, you can leave
your gates open for people, and your dogs won't be the least
concerned.

I find this better then spending your well earned money on a
piece of junk Why not use it to invest in a horse? Or a new
house? Make a nice aquarium? Build a nursery for a child?

Save your money. Train your dog. Please.

"misty" <Momisty@webtv.net wrote in message news:
16990-3CAB1F8C-1@storefull-2293.public.lawson.webtv.net...

I don't now whether Peach is dead or alive. I do know she's
not here with us. I really can't blame anyone here for her
loss.

I'm the one who ignored your advice. I did it because of how
you write/wrote. I was unwilling to accept the idea that my
using a shock collar could have any bearing on Peach not
wanting to stay home.

Up until I started using it my main concern had been keeping
my dogs in their own yard.

Once I started using the e-fence... well, then my concern
became how to keep them from running off for days on end.

I lost valuable training time becoming embroiled in the
anti-shock debate and the "Jerry sux" tirades.

I lost one dog but I have the bestest dog in the world now <g>
A Wits End Trained dog, one who is completely housetrained,
doesn't chew up stuff, stays in the yard, and doesn't bark all
the time.

IOW a great companion and friend.

Thanks Jerry!

=====================

===============

===================

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpanders@newnet.co.nz) Subject: Re: Dog
Running Away - solutions? View: Complete Thread (142 articles)
Original Format Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior Date:
2000/07/10

It's a shame you have killfiled Jerry, I know his attitude to
other posters is pretty grim but his advice to dog behaviour
problems is well worth trying and that's surely the object of
this newsgroup.

Both my dogs are very "socialable" to other dogs except they
are socialable "together" which often overwhelms the other
single dog resulting in defensive, aggressive behaviour. I
now always call them back to me when I see another dog in the
distance and have them on leash as we pass. I ask them to sit
and stay as the other dog goes by. I'm not saying they are
perfect but they are well on the way.

Maybe you could try the same thing, getting him to sit and
stay as the other dog goes by, while he's on leash with mucho
praiso at the same time. As the dog progresses you can try a
long lead, not to haul him in by but as a final stop if he
breaks command.

Make sure he has a 100% reliable recall on his own without
distractions first though.

Paul.

==================

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpanders@newnet.co.nz) Subject: Re: What's
wrong with "no" -- was: Only a jerk would Jerk and say "NO!"
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior Date: 2000/04/02

I use sound distraction training and always try to use a chain
or can or something to grab the dogs attention but if I'm
caught without anything I say "bahhh" in a deep gravely tone
then praise them. It always seems to work, the "bahhhh' is
essentially a guttural sound expressing disapproval which the
dogs respond to.

I think the logic behind not saying "no" or whatever is that
dogs don't understand "not" to do something they only
understand positives i.e "do" something.

Another thought is that by saying "no" and preventing the dog
continuing it's undesirable behavior means the dog sees "you"
as a killjoy or whatever and a perpetrator to the end of it's
fun and as such may affect it's relationship with and respect
for you.

I'm not saying I totally agree with the above logic but that
may be some of the ideas behind it.

Paul.

===============

Subject: Re: Dog will not listen to anyone but me!
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:33:36 -0500

Okay, I gotta speak up here... We've been using
Jerry's methods with our dog. We had the same
problem as the original poster has with Buzz.

One day working with the family pack exercise
and practicing the recall command with the family
and she'll now go out with hubby and daughter
instead of needing me to reassure her or even
refusing to go with anyone but me.

I really urge you, regardless of the negative things
you might hear about Jerry & Wits' End here, to
try the method and *judge the results for yourself*.

Let's see what other areas she's improved in...
always comes when called, not chewing stuff even
if we leave it laying around, "re"housebroken after
long shelter stay, walks perfectly on leash, doesn't
try to steal food from our plates or beg... probably
a few more things I'm forgetting to mention. *
(Yeah, the kats lay off the koi and don't wander.
jh).

That's in about a week's time.

Her overall demeanor has changed. When we
brought her home she was very untrusting and
ultra-submissive (except with her area/toys where
she was possessive and nippy).

She had been abused and beaten by previous
owners, then she was in a shelter for months.

They (most of them) wanted to give up and kill
her Now she's gained confidence and trust with
us.

Last night was another big breakthrough (in my
eyes). She barked! Big deal, she barked just
once when she heard the front door. Great!

Anyway, you'll be told lots of nasty stuff about
Jerry or that the Wits' End manual is culled from
other sources. In my opinion, even if it is, it takes
only the good stuff and leaves out the bad.

Works for me.

(And I suppose I gotta say this... I don't know Jerry
personally. I've emailed him and instant
messaged him. I have not bought a "Doggy Do
Right". He's offered help for free.)

Ms. Mick Owen Crneckiy
http://www.crneckiy.com & http://tarot.crneckiy.com
E-mail & MSN Messenger: mick@crneckiy.com
AIM & Yahoo!: MickCrneckiy ~ ICQ: 72461227

======================

Amy & Phil Fernandes
2004-01-15 21:28:58 EST
Hello,
believe it or not, this is an easy one. Labs are a little prone to
wandering, especially when they are bored. This is because they are very
intelligent and social, meaning they need a job to do and they like to have
a person to hang out with. Think of the hunter's relationship with his
lab...they spend all day one on one with eachother working as a team. A 3.5
ft fence is not enough to contain a dog of that size and they can easily
clear it. A six foot fence is generally recommended to contain most dogs,
and even then a persistent dog will get over or under that as well. What the
dog is looking for is a playmate, and now that he knows he can clear the
fence you aren't going to stop him from getting out unless you build a
kennel outdoors with a top on it. It sounds like it has been decided that he
will be an outside dog for good. Does that mean he never gets to come in the
house? Is there an area of your house that he could be allowed into? Such as
a basement, hallway or laundry room? If he could have some more time inside,
it would make him crave this attention a lot less, it also calms down the
excitability labs get when they are not given enough attention. Make sure he
gets some time to work his big brain doing something useful with an adult
like learning to retrieve properly, obedience training, or agility classes.
Taking him for car rides when you are shopping is a nice idea too. Basically
what I am recommending is threefold:
1. Build a better way to contain him when he is outdoors
2. Give him a way to exercise and exhaust his big brain
3. Make him feel that he is more a part of your family 'pack' so he doesn't
feel he needs to look for that elsewhere.
***Also I would think carefully why you got the dog in the first place.
Hopefully it wasn't as a toy for your child that can wait around your
backyard for someone to play with him. That isn't a good way to keep
dogs...you get nothing out of it...and the dog wastes his life waiting for
you to love him.
good luck
Amy the dog lady
"Just Me" <notgiven@myweb.com> wrote in message
> Amy how do I get a 1 year old Labrador to quit jumping a 3 1/2 foot wooden
> fence? He has a huge yard, all of the toys he needs and a boy that runs
him
> 5 miles a day. He only jumps the fence when everyone leaves or everyone
is
> in the house for a long time. He is an outside dog with a very well
> insulated dog house plenty of food and lots of water.
> "Amy & Phil Fernandes" <amyphil@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Amy and I am an associate
> > professor of animal behaviour, I have personally trained hundreds of
dogs
> > with progressive methods that make sense and actually get results, and
as
> > well I am a certified Master Dog Groomer. I would be happy to offer
advice
> > for any of your doggie questions free of charge as my time permits.
> Serious
> > questions only please, I would love to help you get some sound advice
for
> > free.
> >
> > sincerely
> > Amy the dog lady.

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-16 12:15:43 EST
HOWEDY amy & phil fernandes,

> "Just Me" <notgiven@myweb.com> wrote in message
>
> > Amy how do I get a 1 year old Labrador to quit
> > jumping a 3 1/2 foot wooden fence?

Fence jumpin is EZ to EXXXTINGUISH.

> > He has a huge yard, all of the toys he needs
> > and a boy that runs him 5 miles a day. He only
> > jumps the fence when everyone leaves or everyone
> > is in the house for a long time.

Perfect. That makes it even EZier to
EXXXTINGUISH in just a few minutes

> > He is an outside dog with a very well insulated
> > dog house plenty of food and lots of water.

Fine.

> Hello,
> believe it or not, this is an easy one.

That so? This oughta be EXXXCELLENT!

> Labs are a little prone to wandering,

Oh? You mean like a Beagle or a Husky?
Or ANY dog? A dog is a dog.

> especially when they are bored.

Bored dogs SLEEP.

> This is because they are very intelligent and
> social, meaning they need a job to do and they
> like to have a person to hang out with.

That so?

> Think of the hunter's relationship with his lab...

Perhaps you should THINK of the OP'S QUESTION.
The QUESTION was FENCE JUMPIN, not WORK.

> they spend all day one on one with each other
> working as a team.

Yeah. For two weeks HOWETA the year.

> A 3.5 ft fence is not enough to contain a dog of that size

The Puppy Wizard has a GSD and two Rotties
and a PBX contained behind a 3.5' fence right
nHOWE.

> and they can easily clear it.

INDEEDY!

SO WHAT??? Dogs CAN do LOTS of things.

As a TRAINER you could tell us HOWE to
TRAIN a dog to stay behind a fence... couldn't
you. UNLESS you think it's UNFAIR to keep a
dog in the yard... or cause YOU GOT NO METHOD.

> A six foot fence is generally recommended to
> contain most dogs,

That's NICE. The Puppy Wizard trains HIS
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual Students to PERIMETER TRAIN their
dogs withHOWET regard for BREED or HEIGHT
of the BARRIER or NO FENCE at all.

> and even then a persistent dog will get over
> or under that as well.

NOT IF YOU know HOWE to TRAIN THEM NOT TO.

> What the dog is looking for is a playmate,

Whatever. Didn't you just say he was lookin
for WORK???

> and now that he knows he can clear the fence

BWEHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Any behavior that's CONSISTENT is EZ to EXXXTINGUISH.

> you aren't going to stop him from getting out

NO. YOU ain't gonna stop IT from gettin HOWET
cause YOU GOT NO METHOD to TRAIN IT not
to WANT to EXXXCAPE.

> unless you build a kennel outdoors with a top on it.

BWWHWHWHWHHAAAA!!!

> It sounds like

It sHOWENDS like you're a goddamned FRAUD.

> it has been decided that he will be an outside
> dog for good.

So what's WRONG with THAT??? EXXXCEPT
OF CURSE YOU CAN't TRAIN IT not to ESCAPE.

> Does that mean he never gets to come in the house?

The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN.

CAN YOU TRAIN A DOG NOT TO CHALLENGE A FENCE?

> Is there an area of your house that he could
> be allowed into? Such as a basement, hallway
> or laundry room?

You mean, cause you DON'T KNOW HOWE
to TRAIN the dog to stay HAPPY in his back
yard you recommend they CONFINE the dog
inside the basement of the HOWES where
NUTHIN is gonna CHANGE except the ESCAPE
behavior?

> If he could have some more time inside,

The QUESTION IS HOWE TO break fence jumpin
not HOWE to build a higher fence or HOWE to lock
the dog in a box.

> it would make him crave this attention a lot less,

What attention???

> it also calms down the excitability labs get when
> they are not given enough attention.

You're full of crap. You AIN'T gettin away
with BLAMING the DOG noMOORE for
your INCOMPETENCE.

> Make sure he gets some time to work his big brain

You mean the WON you don't have the INTELLECT
to HOWEtwit, amy & phil fernandes?

> doing something useful with an adult
> like learning to retrieve properly,

You mean PLAY.

> obedience training,

Traditional obedience training often PROVOKES
dogs to WANT to ESCAPE.

> or agility classes.

That's NOT gonna teach IT not to JUMP THE FENCE.
You think teachin the dog to jump is gonna break his
desire to jump when HE WANTS to jump???

> Taking him for car rides when you are shopping
> is a nice idea too.

Yeah. Let's talk abHOWE FENCE JUMPIN?

> Basically what I am recommending is

NUTHIN. YOU GOT NO METHOD to break
the OP's PROBLEM DOG QUESTION: "HOWE
TO BREAK FENCE JUMPIN."

> threefold:
> 1. Build a better way to contain him when he is outdoors

You mean spend hundreds, maybe THOWESANDS
on a new fence INSTEAD of TRAININ the dog NOT
to JUMP the fence in a couple minutes, for FREE???

> 2. Give him a way to exercise and exhaust his big brain

You mean, the BRAIN YOU CANNOT HOWETWIT.

> 3. Make him feel that he is more a part of your
> family 'pack' so he doesn't feel he needs to look
> for that elsewhere.

You mean by LOCKING IT in the BASEMENT or
a hallway? HOWE abHOWET a nice crate?

> ***Also I would think carefully why you got the
> dog in the first place.

As a PROFESSIONAL dog trainer that's IRRELEVENT.
The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN, for which YOU
GOT NO METHOD to EXXXTINGUISH.

> Hopefully

HOPE??? You mean LUCK?? Or do you mean FAITH????

> it wasn't as a toy for your child that can wait
> around your backyard or someone to play
> with him.

The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN, not
the ETHICS of keepin a backyard dog.

For this EXXXAMPLE, let's PRETEND the
dog is being used to PROTECT the HOWES.

HOWE you gonna train a TERRITORIAL CRITTER
to STAY ON HIS TERRITORY, associate professors
of behaivorISM???

YOU CAN'T, cause you're a FRAUD.

> That isn't a good way to keep dogs...

FINE!!! THAT'S NOT THE QUESTON,
amy & phil fernands. The QUESTION
was is and always will be, FENCE JUMPIN.

YOU GOT A METHOD to break fence jumpin?

> you get nothing out of it...

Let's PRETEND they want the dog to protect the yard.

HOWE YOU GONNA TRAIN IT to STAY in his TERRITORY?

> and the dog wastes his life waiting for you to love him.

That's warm fuzzy BULLSHIT.

YOU GOT ANY TRAINING ADVICE to break fence jumpin?

> good luck

Dog trainin ain't LUCK. "Luck is for SUCKERS,"
The Puppy Wizard's DADDY.

> Amy the dog lady> > "Amy & Phil Fernandes"
<*l@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hi there,
>
> > > I just wanted to introduce myself. My name
> > > is Amy and I am an associate professor of
> > > animal behaviour,

The Puppy Wizard has just PROVEN you're a FRAUD.

> > > I have personally trained hundreds of dogs

But you can't train THIS poster's dog.

> > > with progressive methods that make sense

You mean like lockin the dog in the basement
or hallway and take IT for rides and teach it to
PLAY?

> > > and actually get results,

UNLESS the dog RUNS HOWET on your CLIENT
cause you can't train IT not to jump the fence.

> > > and as well I am a certified Master Dog Groomer.

Let's HOPE your groomin is better than your trainin.

> > > I would be happy to offer advice for any of
> > > your doggie questions

The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN.

> > > free of charge as my time permits.

You better stick to GROOMIN.

> > > Serious questions only please,

The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN.

> > > I would love to help you get some sound
> > > advice for free.

Oh? Well THAT'S EZ, amy & phil fernandes.
Just tell your CLIENTS to study their FREE
copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual and
they'll train their dogs to any level of achievement
they desire NEARLY INSTANTLY GENTLY and
FOR FREE.

> > > sincerely

LikeWIZE.

> > > Amy the dog lady.

The Puppy Wizard sez you're a FRAUD.

And HE PROVES IT:

From: Nevyn (greatdane@badmama.com.au) Subject: Re: radio
[...]

Save your money. Train your dog. Please. -- Thankyou,
Nevyn

_________________________________ Nevyn E.D. Veterinary Nurse
& Animal Trainer greatdane@badmama.com.au "You can judge a
man's heart by his treatment of animals"
__________________________________

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpaul_bousie@clear.net.nz)
Subject: Re: Fence Jumping

Date: 2000-09-29 04:33:37 PST

Been well experienced in dogs escaping from our
yard I know exactly the frustration you are going
through. Sam used to jump over the fence so I
made it higher then we got Roz and she went
under it, through it and climbed over it.

I've decided there are only 2 ways to stop the escaping,
1 is to have an escape proof fence, the other to train the
dogs not to want to escape.

I suppose a third method is to keep them
inside but I don't consider that a solution.

Making the fence escape proof can be almost impossible
if the dog is determined, to stop it climbing over as yours
is doing put an extension on top of the fence that angles
inwards at about 30-45 degrees. Never use chicken wire
as the dogs tear through that like paper.

The only training method to prevent this I can recall is
Jerry's technique, essentially it involves walking around the
perimeter of the fenced area with the dog and using sound
distractions and praise to teach the dog it's boundary.

I have had partial success with it (i.e. I have deterred Roz
from escaping from various points along the fence) but then
again I haven't really followed it through completely.

One last glimmer of hope, as the dog gets older it may
become more settled, Sam never escapes now although
he's quite capable of getting out, he 2.5 years old and
seemed to settle at about 2. So there you are, only 1.5
years of escaping left!!!

Paul.

-- Visit our homepage (updated 29 September!!!) and see the
dogs, cats and us at... (please refresh the pages often to
make sure you get the latest one!!!!)

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/paul_bousie/index.html "Noodlz"
<*1@home.com> wrote in message

=================

"misty" <Momisty@webtv.net wrote in message news:
16990-3CAB1F8C-1@storefull-2293.public.lawson.webtv.net...

I don't now whether Peach is dead or alive. I do know she's
not here with us. I really can't blame anyone here for her
loss.

I'm the one who ignored your advice. I did it because of how
you write/wrote. I was unwilling to accept the idea that my
using a shock collar could have any bearing on Peach not
wanting to stay home.

Up until I started using it my main concern had been keeping
my dogs in their own yard.

Once I started using the e-fence... well, then my concern
became how to keep them from running off for days on end.

I lost valuable training time becoming embroiled in the
anti-shock debate and the "Jerry sux" tirades.

I lost one dog but I have the bestest dog in the world now <g>
A Wits End Trained dog, one who is completely housetrained,
doesn't chew up stuff, stays in the yard, and doesn't bark all
the time.

IOW a great companion and friend.

Thanks Jerry!

=====================

misty" <Momisty@webtv.net> wrote in message

> We just installed a PetSafe brand fence this Spring. Two
> dogs, two collars We now have one dog and no collars.
>
> Peach and Zelda would run thru the fence, not want to come
> back in the yard and would run for days.
>
>The last time, Peach didn't
> come back home.
>
> I used the Wit's End Training Manual to learn how to train
> my dog. She is now border trained. A few minutes each day
> reinforces her desire to stay in the yard.
>
> She no longer runs out into the road, I can stop her from
> chasing cats and she no longer cringes when we walk around
> the yard.
>
> I can not say loud or long enough how much I hate the
> e-fence and its collars. If you can't get a regular fence
> then you need to train your dog.
>
> I will never rely on an electronic collar to keep my dog in
> our yard again.
>
> The price was too high:-( ~misty

--------------------------------

The Puppy Wizard
2004-01-16 12:17:36 EST
HOWEDY amy & phil fernandes,

> [...]

or hallway and take IT for rides and teach it to
PLAY?

> > > and actually get results,

UNLESS the dog RUNS HOWET on your CLIENT
cause you can't train IT not to jump the fence.

> > > and as well I am a certified Master Dog Groomer.

Let's HOPE your groomin is better than your trainin.

> > > I would be happy to offer advice for any of
> > > your doggie questions

The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN.

> > > free of charge as my time permits.

You better stick to GROOMIN.

> > > Serious questions only please,

The QUESTION is FENCE JUMPIN.

> > > I would love to help you get some sound
> > > advice for free.

Oh? Well THAT'S EZ, amy & phil fernandes.
Just tell your CLIENTS to study their FREE
copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual and
they'll train their dogs to any level of achievement

LikeWIZE.

From: Paul B (NOSPAMpaul_bousie@clear.net.nz)

Date: 2000-09-29 04:33:37 PST