Dog Discussion: Need Advice For My Sick Puppy

Need Advice For My Sick Puppy
Posts: 8

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Kim
2003-07-13 13:29:26 EST
My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the birds
and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.

What can I give him as medicine to help with this problem?

Thanks,
Yen



Bill Plast
2003-07-13 14:41:46 EST
Do not give him ANYTHING as medicine....people medicine and pet medicine are
often very different.....it might be a coincidence that he ate the grape and
now is sick. Wait a day or two more (provide water to prevent dehydration)
and if he/she is not better...contact your vet.
"Kim" <ykngo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:WFgQa.48552$sY2.21337@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
> My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the
birds
> and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
> days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.
>
> What can I give him as medicine to help with this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Yen
>
>



Ken
2003-07-13 15:13:50 EST
Kim wrote:
>
> My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the birds
> and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
> days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.

Did he eat one grape or a bunch.

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8353&news_iv_ctrl=-1

Animal Poison Control Center Toxicology Bulletins:
Grapes and Raisins in Dogs
Thursday, January 31, 2002

Recent reports of dogs allege to have developed kidney failure
following ingestion of grapes or raisins.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is aware of recent reports
of dogs alleged to have developed kidney failure following ingestion
of large amounts of grapes or raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at
the Animal Poison Control Center are currently investigating these
cases in an attempt to determine the causative agents or disease
processes. At this time the exact role of grapes or raisins in these
cases is unclear. Pet owners whose dogs have ingested large quantities
of grapes or raisins, or veterinarians managing such cases, are encouraged
to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 immediately.


--
Ken, Pookie and Sammy
--

ZPL
2003-07-13 16:11:29 EST
Did he chew the grape or swallow it whole?

"Ken" <kence@idworld.net> wrote in message
news:3F11AF6D.B0EF2ED9@idworld.net...
> Kim wrote:
> >
> > My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the
birds
> > and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
> > days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.
>
> Did he eat one grape or a bunch.
>
> http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8353&news_iv_ctrl=-1
>
> Animal Poison Control Center Toxicology Bulletins:
> Grapes and Raisins in Dogs
> Thursday, January 31, 2002
>
> Recent reports of dogs allege to have developed kidney failure
> following ingestion of grapes or raisins.
>
> The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is aware of recent reports
> of dogs alleged to have developed kidney failure following ingestion
> of large amounts of grapes or raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at
> the Animal Poison Control Center are currently investigating these
> cases in an attempt to determine the causative agents or disease
> processes. At this time the exact role of grapes or raisins in these
> cases is unclear. Pet owners whose dogs have ingested large quantities
> of grapes or raisins, or veterinarians managing such cases, are encouraged
> to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 immediately.
>
>
> --
> Ken, Pookie and Sammy
> --



Kim
2003-07-13 17:21:09 EST
I think he only ate one grape and he did chew it, but I don't know how well.
I didn't think to stop him since it was just a grape.

He still diarhea a lot and I am see some red specks in the liquid. He
diarhea before and I saw the red specks before, so I don't know if I should
be concerned about it this time.

He seems tired sometimes and playful at other times.

He gets hungry and would like to eat, but then I would see throw-ups a few
hours after he ate. Then, it would take a few hours before he get some
appetite back again.

I am giving him pedialyte and #2 baby food at the moment. I plan to take
him to the vet on tuesday. I will check out the poison control site to
learn more about this potential grape poison.

Thank you for all your replies.
Yen

"Kim" <ykngo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:WFgQa.48552$sY2.21337@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
> My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the
birds
> and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
> days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.
>
> What can I give him as medicine to help with this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Yen
>
>



Montana
2003-07-13 17:28:53 EST
In article <93kQa.48593$wk6.12435@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>,
"Kim" <ykngo@comcast.net> wrote:

snip

>
> I am giving him pedialyte and #2 baby food at the moment. I plan to take
> him to the vet on tuesday. I will check out the poison control site to
> learn more about this potential grape poison.
>

Please be sure to bring a small sample of his stool to the vet. He may
have problems unrelated to the grape (like worms).

*@copper.net
2003-07-14 20:43:03 EST
Good to know! I just fed my puppy a bunch of grapes yesterday (the green,
seedless ones). She hasn't been sick, but I guess I won't be feeding her
anymore of them.
Red specks?! I think it's time to go to the vet.

Kim <ykngo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:WFgQa.48552$sY2.21337@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
> My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the
birds
> and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
> days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.
>
> What can I give him as medicine to help with this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Yen
>
>



Pat
2003-07-17 16:34:55 EST
If your puppy is this sick.
Why oh why have you not taken it to the vet.
Have you not heard of parvo virus.
It can kill a dog .
You need to see the vet real quick.
Even if it is not Parvo the dog needs to be seen immediately.
Pat.


"Kim" <ykngo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:93kQa.48593$wk6.12435@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net...
> I think he only ate one grape and he did chew it, but I don't know how
well.
> I didn't think to stop him since it was just a grape.
>
> He still diarhea a lot and I am see some red specks in the liquid. He
> diarhea before and I saw the red specks before, so I don't know if I
should
> be concerned about it this time.
>
> He seems tired sometimes and playful at other times.
>
> He gets hungry and would like to eat, but then I would see throw-ups a few
> hours after he ate. Then, it would take a few hours before he get some
> appetite back again.
>
> I am giving him pedialyte and #2 baby food at the moment. I plan to take
> him to the vet on tuesday. I will check out the poison control site to
> learn more about this potential grape poison.
>
> Thank you for all your replies.
> Yen
>
> "Kim" <ykngo@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:WFgQa.48552$sY2.21337@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net...
> > My 7 weeks old puppy ate a grape that we threw in our backyard for the
> birds
> > and he is now having diarhea and also throw up this food. It has been 2
> > days and he does not seem to have any appetite at all.
> >
> > What can I give him as medicine to help with this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Yen
> >
> >
>
>


Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron