Dog Discussion: Gentle Leader Collar Restriction?

Gentle Leader Collar Restriction?

Howard Miner
2003-12-25 11:07:46 EST
Will a Gentle Leader collar restrict the dog's ability to defend himself
against other dog attacks?
Thanks, Howard

Alan Carter
2003-12-25 17:28:20 EST
Short answer: yes & no.

Long answer: because you have tremendous leverage on the dog's snout; you
are likely to instinctively pull back on the leash which would have the
effect of turning your dog's head away from the attacker. This is great if
you don't want your dog to attack. It's not so great if your dog wants to
defend itself. If your dog has to defend itself, there is obviously a
dog-owner out there who needs to have a size 12 squarely inserted up their
butt and left there to fester for a few months. Responsible dog owners don't
let their dog attack another.

Sorry, you got me started on a subject dear to my heart.

Hope this helps..

Cheers & beers

"Howard Miner" <hrm49@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Will a Gentle Leader collar restrict the dog's ability to defend himself
> against other dog attacks?
> Thanks, Howard

MB
2003-12-26 15:54:22 EST
Not unless you want it to. Do not confuse it with a muzzle, because
it goes around the snout. It can be adjusted to allow almost no
mouth opening, or enough to carry a retrieving bone (also enough to
allow for a good bite). The size, i.e. tightness, of the strap around
the back of the head is more important to keeping it on than the snout
strap. Be sure and adjust the head strap tightly, then you can loosen
the snout strap a little more. Just be sure that you don't make it
too loose or the dog can pull it off. Be sure to check it frequently
when you first use it, it can be much looser that you realize and if
it comes off, you have lost your handle on the dog. You should just
be able to slip a finger under the strap behind the head. The only
caveat is what type of dog you have - if you have a dog such as a
boxer with a very short snout it is harder to adjust, and both straps
needs to be tighter to keep it from slipping off the front of the
nose. It is better to err on the side of too tight at first, and you
will probably find that it is not as tight as you thought.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 11:07:46 -0500 (EST), hrm49@webtv.net (Howard
Miner) scribed:

>Will a Gentle Leader collar restrict the dog's ability to defend himself
>against other dog attacks?
> Thanks, Howard

The Puppy Wizard
2003-12-26 22:00:42 EST
HOWEDY Howard,

"Howard Miner" <hrm49@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Will a Gentle Leader

Is neither gentle nor a leader, Howard. The
GL CAUSES behavior problems like aggression
on leash because of HOWE it works.

Just fittin the device to the dog as INSTRUCTED
by the manufacturer is enough to TRIGGER the
opposition reflex and drive the dog HOWETA
control. THAT'S HOWE COME they want you
to put the lead under the front leg to throw the
dog assoverbucket if he GOES NUTS when
you're first conditioning IT to the device.

THAT causes the dog a sense of INSECURITY,
therebye causing the dog to SUBMIT... Submissive
dogs become FEAR AGGRESSIVE.

When the dog becomes FEARFUL the device
causes the dog to want to ATTACK FIRST in
SELF DEFENSE. It's a lot like what happens
to kats when they've been declawed. Ask janet
boss all abHOWET that. Her kat attacks her
when she punishes her dogs.

> collar restrict the dog's ability to defend himself

Your dog should feel confident enough with you
that HE ain't gotta DEFEND HISSELF. Would
you think you'd need to DEFEND yourself if you
was walkin to school with your daddy???

THAT'S HOWE COME dogs become aggressive.

> against other dog attacks?

If you handle yourselves pupperly your dog won't
GET attacked cause most dogs won't attack you
if you're movin along mindin your business. Like
as if you was walkin to school with your daddy.

> Thanks, Howard '

Unless you got a daddy like mikey d. Then you'd
EXXXPECT IT was gonna make you fight to prove
you're an intelligent decent human bein...

Of curse Howard, you deserve any problems you
get... you've been readin HOWER forums long
enough to know better than to use a force pain
or intimidation device on your dog...

Here's mikey:

"Warning: Sometimes The Corrections Will Seem
Quite Harsh And Cause You To Cringe. This Is A
Normal Reaction The First Few Times It Happens,
But You'll Get Over It."mike duforth, author:
"Courteous Canine."

You think HURTIN dogs and CRINGING
is COURTEOUS?

"I have heard advice stating that you should pre-load
your dog for Bitter Apple for it to work as efficiently
as possible. What does this mean?"

Means the author is a dog abuser of the worst magnitude.

"When you bring home the Bitter Apple for
the first time, spray one squirt directly into
the dog's mouth and walk away. The dog
won't be too thrilled with this but just ignore
him and continue your normal behavior."

You think HURTING your dog is NORMAL BEHAVIOR?

--Mike Dufort
author of the zero selling book
"Courteous Canines"

You think HOWER pal mikey is playin with a full deck?

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:33:36 -0500

Okay, I gotta speak up here... We've been using
Jerry's methods with our dog. We had the same
problem as the original poster has with Buzz.

One day working with the family pack exercise
and practicing the recall command with the family
and she'll now go out with hubby and daughter
instead of needing me to reassure her or even
refusing to go with anyone but me.

I really urge you, regardless of the negative things
you might hear about Jerry & Wits' End here, to
try the method and *judge the results for yourself*.

Let's see what other areas she's improved in...
always comes when called, not chewing stuff even
if we leave it laying around, "re"housebroken after
long shelter stay, walks perfectly on leash, doesn't
try to steal food from our plates or beg... probably
a few more things I'm forgetting to mention. *
(Yeah, the kats lay off the koi and don't wander.
jh).

That's in about a week's time.

Her overall demeanor has changed. When we
brought her home she was very untrusting and
ultra-submissive (except with her area/toys where
she was possessive and nippy).

She had been abused and beaten by previous
owners, then she was in a shelter for months.

They (most of them) wanted to give up and kill
her Now she's gained confidence and trust with
us.

Last night was another big breakthrough (in my
eyes). She barked! Big deal, she barked just
once when she heard the front door. Great!

Anyway, you'll be told lots of nasty stuff about
Jerry or that the Wits' End manual is culled from
other sources. In my opinion, even if it is, it takes
only the good stuff and leaves out the bad.

Works for me.

(And I suppose I gotta say this... I don't know Jerry
personally. I've emailed him and instant
messaged him. I have not bought a "Doggy Do
Right". He's offered help for free.)

Ms. Mick Owen Crneckiy
http://www.crneckiy.com & http://tarot.crneckiy.com
E-mail & MSN Messenger: mick@crneckiy.com
AIM & Yahoo!: MickCrneckiy ~ ICQ: 72461227

======================

Subject: Disciple Paul Sez:

"No One Understands How Wits End Training
Really Works, They Assume It's All Nicey Nicey
And don't Realise It's A Very Disciplined Method
That Deals With Any Situation And The Foundation
Is Built On Trust And Understanding."

HOWEDY Disciple Paulie,

Might seem like that, but it's really MAGICK.
VooDoo, actually. <{} ; ~ ) >

==================

"Hennie van Dalen" <h.vandalen11***removethis***@chello.nl>
wrote in message news:TlsCb.2895$7U1.7896@amstwist00...

RTFM is age-old computer lingo.... It stands for "Read The
F***ing Manual" ;-) I used the manual and it works very good!

But it is a long text to read (76 pages printed on A4-size
paper) My lab is 1year old now, and teaching him something
new takes about 30minutes (depending on what to teach offcourse)

My other dog (a 7year old staffordshire terrier-mix) is a bit
slower in learning, but he is used to me calling him a "bad
dog"whenever he did something i didn't want him to do, or
it might be the age.

Sometimes it looks like Sam (the lab) WANTS to learn
something new: he wants me to bring along the can
filled with washers whenever we go for a walk. It is a
very "humane" way of teaching: the dog is allways a
"good dog", and never a "bad dog"

There is nu punishment or prong-collars involved.

For a fact i tought him to heel in 15min's without
beeing on a leach at-all !!! When he spotted a dog,
he used to run towards it, but now i tought him to "ask
permission" first, and to my surprise it worked!

My dogs never went to puppy-training (lucky for them),
maybe this helped too.

Manual can be found at http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

-- Hennie van Dalen www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11/fotografie/doggy-pictures/

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net>
schreef inbericht

> You'll get ALL the INFORMATION you need in your
> FREE copy of The Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
> Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual. You'll be
> taught some general exercises to calm and relax
> your dog and give him the direct attention he
> NEEDS in only a few minutes every other day, and
> you'll learn HOWE to use distraction and praise to
> EXXXTINGUISH the HABITUAL aspect of this DIS-EASE.

My dog (a 1 year old Yellow Lab) was biting his tail
at the root (Vet said his anal gland was blocked, and
was causing an itch).

After squeezing it, he still wouldn't stop biting his
tail. The vet advised a neck-funnel (don't know wat
you US-guy's call those) so he couldn't reach his butt.

I hate those things, i think they will drive a dog nuts.

I tried the wits end method. (difficult to read such a long
textfile if English is not your native language) Luckily this
is without all the "HOWE's" etc.so at least it's readable for
somebody like me.

The minute he started to bite i trew my key's
next to him on the floor, and praised him (he
stopped biting and looked up when he heard
the sound) I did this 7 times,

after that the tailbiting completely stopped.
Just give the wits end method a try.

One of the possible downloadlocations
is http://www.doggydoright.com/id3.html

Hennie van Dalen
www.chello.nl/~h.vandalen11

Hi, Jerry.

I'm not sure that I'm a 100% convert, or that I agree
with (or even understand) 100% of what you say in this
manual ... BUT ... we had "come" down pat in a few
reps and you could have knocked me down when I tried
the exercise with "drop" and, after a few reps in
different spots Darwin practically *threw* the rubber
ball at my feet on command. He's still not perfect
(just a pup, after all, and he's stubborn enough to
want to push and test me a little bit more).

For what it's worth, I can see (as no doubt you have)
how your usenet manner is likely to rankle a few
folks, but that woman who advocates ear pulling and
beating with sticks deserves everything she gets. Even
if that was the only method that would work, I'd live
with my dog not fetching rather than do any of that.
(Darwin fetches enthusiastically and instinctively,
tho').

Best, ben

===================

From: Becky (BeckySiz@new.rr.com)
Subject: Re: Crate Anxiety
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2002-04-04 12:56:23 PST

Try Jerry Howe's training manual and check out his Doggy
Do Right (And Kitty Will And A Rooster Did And A Cockatoo
Or Two Did Too) machine....it is for this.

Please do not listen to the others in here that don't like
him or his methods, they have never tried them....I have
and it works!!!!

I broke my dog from nipping almost 100% in 1 day and
she usually does this SEVERAL times a day and actually
makes my kids bleed!

Try it or contact him! The manual is at the above website
also, and it is free!

Becky

===========

Jeremy writes:

"A customer recently purchased a Shiba Inu and I suspect
she may be in for a wild ride. This is a breed that I suspect
may respond particularly well to mutual respect style training.

The alpha complex (as I now call it) is likely to
really provoke the dog's naturally competitive nature.

Thanks 1000 times for opening my eyes and don't let
those assholes get you down. I can't be the only person
that sees the sense in your methods. I'm in Windsor,
Ontario, Canada and pass your info to anyone it might
help" Thanks, Jeremy.

================

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:33:36 -0500

[...]

-----

M.
--

"Paul B" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "shaper" <nomail@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have been reading these forums for a few weeks
> > now, and am getting really confused!!
> > but is there actually anyone who has used the
> > methods in this manual with any success ?

100% TOTAL NON PHYSICAL CONTROL, NEARLY
INSTANTLY, BY NEARLY EVERY FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual Student.

It's the GENTLEST, FASTEST, MOST EFFECTIVE,
NON FORCE, NON CONFRONTATIONAL, NON BRIBE, SCIENTIFIC and
PSYCHOLOGICAL technique in the
Whole Wild World, BAR NONE.

===============================

==================

Just wanted to let you know that the surrogate toy
technique is working wonders. I have not had a
shredded sheet for over a week now. It is nice
to be able to leave the bed made and come home
to a made bed.

Your program is awesome, but you already know
that. Keep up the good work!

Hoku

==================

The Puppy Wizard
2003-12-27 22:37:35 EST
HOWEDY Alan,

"Alan Carter" <alky@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> Short answer:

We got PLENTY of time here abHOWETS...

> yes & no.

Does that smack of INCONSISTENCY?

> Long answer: because you have tremendous
> leverage on the dog's snout;

Naaah. That ain't the LONG answer. The LONG
answer is NO. You DON'T DO THAT to dogs
cause THAT OFFENDS them and makes them
HYPERACTIVE and HOWETA CONTROL.

> you are likely to instinctively pull back on the leash

THAT'S HOWE COME we handle the leash in
a SPECIFIC manner to AVOID REFLEXING to
the dog with FORCE.

> which would have the effect of turning your dog's
> head away from the attacker.

AND MAKIN HIM FEARFUL of not being able
to DEFEND hisself and triggering the opposition
REFLEX and COMPELLING the dog to ATTACK.

THAT'S HOWE COME you can't use choking
or restrictive devices EFFECTIVELY to NEARLY
INSTANTLY TRAIN ALL DOGS FOR ALL BEHAVIORS.

> This is great if you don't want your dog to attack.

No it AIN'T. That'll teach the dog to FEAR the
handler, the leash and halter and other dogs
and will teach the dog to ATTACK when his
handler isn't there to FORCE CONTROL.

> It's not so great if your dog wants to defend itself.

As appupriate LEADER the dog will follow your
LEAD to attack or not. Pulllin on the dog will TELL
HIM YOU'RE AFRAID and will MAKE HIM ATTACK.

> If your dog has to defend itself,

Your dog shouldn't NEED to DEFEND HISSELF
if his LEADER demonstrates SELF CONTROL
and is not RESTRICTING or CHOKING HIM
cause the HUMAN is AFRAID.

> there is obviously a dog-owner out there who
> needs to have a size 12 squarely inserted up
> their butt and left there to fester for a few months.

The Puppy Wizard has been doin that right
here for five years... HOWE'S your butt?

> Responsible dog owners don't
> let their dog attack another.

Competent dog trainers don't force hurt
or intimidate dogs to make them friendly.

> Sorry,

INDEED.

> you got me started on a subject dear to my heart.

That so? Can you find any room in your HEAD for
your heartfelt subject? You're DEAD WRONG and
The Puppy Wizard has PROVEN that repeatedly.

You got no business postin your BULLSHIT here abHOWETS.

> Hope this helps..

INDEED. It's been very revealing.

> Cheers & beers

Try a little Preparatin-H for that nasty
festerin in your butt and lay off them
beers when you're trainin...