Dog Discussion: ACA And AKC

ACA And AKC

Gina
2003-12-21 18:50:30 EST
Can anyone help me? I have a ACA registered Cocker Spaniel. I would like
to register him in AKC as well as ACA. Does anyone know how to go about
doing this? Also can you register a dog that is registered AKC under ACA?
Thanks for any information you can give me.

KrisHur
2003-12-22 07:43:39 EST
AFAIK you can only get Full Registration if the sire and dam are AKC
registered. If they are not, you can apply for a Limited Registration (aka
ILP). ILP registration will allow your dog to compete in almost all events
except for Conformation. Any litters produced by an dog with a Limited
Registration will not be eligible for Full Registration with the AKC, but
they also can get an ILP.

For more information on registering with the AKC see:
http://www.akc.org/registration/
--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

"Gina" <gina333@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me? I have a ACA registered Cocker Spaniel. I would like
> to register him in AKC as well as ACA. Does anyone know how to go about
> doing this? Also can you register a dog that is registered AKC under ACA?
> Thanks for any information you can give me.

BJR
2003-12-23 19:55:42 EST
The AKC ILP is only given to a dog that is spayed or neutered. You
therefore, obviously, cannot breed it. The ACA is a puppymill registry
started by hose who do not care to breed responsibly. (ie do health
testing on their dogs before they are bred) IMHO

KrisHur
2003-12-24 07:18:08 EST
Super scary. I thought the acronym stood for American cocker assoc., the
national cocker club that registers it's own like jack russell club does.
The AKC parent club for cockers is American Spaniel Club (the "ASC")
http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org
Scary, it's some sub-par registry. I thought I've heard of them all this is
a new one for me.

Gina, cockers are prone to lots of physical problems (cherry eye, thyroid,
etc.) and more notably, temperament problems (cocker rage) due to poor
breeding. Keep an eye out for this stuff.
--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

"BJR" <TheFigment@webtv.net> wrote in message
> The AKC ILP is only given to a dog that is spayed or neutered. You
> therefore, obviously, cannot breed it. The ACA is a puppymill registry
> started by hose who do not care to breed responsibly. (ie do health
> testing on their dogs before they are bred) IMHO

Gina
2004-01-04 22:16:01 EST
Thanks.... Now I have another problem. After checking his pedigree that
came with him, I found both his parents are AKC registered. Thus he would
have been eligible for AKC registration as well. I found his breeder online.
I emailed her a couple of times. She finally emailed back and said if I
gave her his information, she would check to see if he could still be
registered with AKC. GREAT I thought. I then opened my big mouth and asked
why he was registered with ACA only. Considering I had never heard of it
before and the information I received implied that ACA had a name as a puppy
farm registration. WELL big mistake... She wrote back asking what I was
implying about her puppies... bla bla bla...... I told her that was not my
intention at all. I just wondered what the pros were to registering ACA
instead of AKC especially when he was eligible for AKC. Well that's the
last I've heard from her. I guess I pissed her off. Touchy touchy subject.
But now I'm really concerned there is something wrong with my dog. Why
would she be so defensive about her puppies? So now, I doubt I will ever
get him registered AKC without her help. And I'm really concerned about the
quality of my dog. Even though he will be 3 in a few weeks. And I see no
problems at this time. He is a great dog. He has not been checked by my
vet yet. His shots were all up to date when we got him. I am going to make
an appointment soon with my vet for his yearly checkup and shots. But
problems or no problems he has become a part of my family and he is here to
stay!!!! ANY IDEAS?

"KrisHur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Super scary. I thought the acronym stood for American cocker assoc., the
> national cocker club that registers it's own like jack russell club does.
> The AKC parent club for cockers is American Spaniel Club (the "ASC")
> http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org
> Scary, it's some sub-par registry. I thought I've heard of them all this
is
> a new one for me.
>
> Gina, cockers are prone to lots of physical problems (cherry eye, thyroid,
> etc.) and more notably, temperament problems (cocker rage) due to poor
> breeding. Keep an eye out for this stuff.
> --
> Kristen and
> Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT
> www.kristenandkali.com
>

> "BJR" <TheFigment@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > The AKC ILP is only given to a dog that is spayed or neutered. You
> > therefore, obviously, cannot breed it. The ACA is a puppymill registry
> > started by hose who do not care to breed responsibly. (ie do health
> > testing on their dogs before they are bred) IMHO

KrisHur
2004-01-05 14:06:18 EST
She probably flipped b/c the truth hurts and you brought up the very good
point--why not register the litter with the AKC if both parents were AKC
pedigreed?

I didn't realize he was 3 years old, I thought you just got a puppy. Just
curious, why did you wait until now to register him? You can register him
with the AKC, the only thing you wouldn't be able to do is register any
litters sired by him or show him conformation. Since you are not breeding
this dog it doesn't matter if his registration with the AKC is via ILP.
There are a lot of dogs at the club I belong to, who have ILP numbers,
competing in all sorts of AKC events.

--

> [...]
> > http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org
> > Scary, it's some sub-par registry. I thought I've heard of them all this
> is
> > a new one for me.
> >
> > Gina, cockers are prone to lots of physical problems (cherry eye,
thyroid,
> > etc.) and more notably, temperament problems (cocker rage) due to poor
> > breeding. Keep an eye out for this stuff.
> > --
> > Kristen and
> > Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT
> > www.kristenandkali.com
> >

> > "BJR" <TheFigment@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > > The AKC ILP is only given to a dog that is spayed or neutered. You
> > > therefore, obviously, cannot breed it. The ACA is a puppymill registry
> > > started by hose who do not care to breed responsibly. (ie do health
> > > testing on their dogs before they are bred) IMHO

2004-01-05 21:09:02 EST
I am aware of the ILP registration and that is always an option. We just
got him in August. That's why I wanted to register him now. For some
reason I like all my p & q in order. And I guess I thought if he was AKC
elligible then I would like to have him AKC. But that's ok. It really
doesn't matter, I'm just picky about things like that. His previous owners
didn't care what he was registered under. So they never questioned it. Oh
well thanks for your help. He is still a wonderful dog AKC registered or
not.