Dog Discussion: My Puppy Gone Insane??

My Puppy Gone Insane??

CM
2003-07-11 01:34:58 EST
Hi I bought a pom female puppy about 2 weeks ago and she is 2 1/2 months old
now.

Everytime after she ate (Eukanuba) she just gone "insane": chewing stuffs
crazily, grinning loudly, running around in unusual fast speed, jumping here
and there like there is an invisible dog biting or annoying her, her
behavior scares me alot, especially when she grins loudly and chewing at her
toy fiercely at the same time, she is like a mad puppy!

Is she Normal?

Krishur
2003-07-11 06:23:04 EST
I've heard, but think this is the first time I've seen an example of, corn
leading to hyperactivity.

Eukanuba has a lot of corn in it and I've heard that corn can cause hyper
activity. Corn is also an ingredient that a lot of dogs are allergic to.

Put her on a corn-free food and see if it stops.

Good corn-free food:
Nutro's Natural Choice Puppy Lamb Meal And Rice Formula

Upmarket a little:
Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard) Super Mix 5 Puppy
Innova Puppy
California Natural Puppy
--
Kristen &
Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT

"CM" <marshmalNOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi I bought a pom female puppy about 2 weeks ago and she is 2 1/2 months
old
> now.
>
> Everytime after she ate (Eukanuba) she just gone "insane": chewing stuffs
> crazily, grinning loudly, running around in unusual fast speed, jumping
here
> and there like there is an invisible dog biting or annoying her, her
> behavior scares me alot, especially when she grins loudly and chewing at
her
> toy fiercely at the same time, she is like a mad puppy!
>
> Is she Normal?

Diana
2003-07-11 09:29:24 EST

"CM" <marshmalNOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi I bought a pom female puppy about 2 weeks ago and she is 2 1/2 months
old
> now.
>
> Everytime after she ate (Eukanuba) she just gone "insane": chewing stuffs
> crazily, grinning loudly, running around in unusual fast speed, jumping
here
> and there like there is an invisible dog biting or annoying her, her
> behavior scares me alot, especially when she grins loudly and chewing at
her
> toy fiercely at the same time, she is like a mad puppy!
>
> Is she Normal?

I am puppy-sitting little Fergus (border collie) here for a friend and he's
exactly the same age, and he's doing exactly the same thing ~ don't worry,
I'm sure she's just a happy, playful puppy who's enjoyed her dinner... a
short bout of play, followed by a crash and a snooze if Fergus' example is
anything to go by...

If it were an allergy or hyperactivity, it would take a while to get in to
the puppy's system but saying that, you might want to look around for a
better brand of food. I'm in the UK and Eukanuba was once considered to be
the best but they were bought and the quality dropped a few pegs... but I'm
afraid I can't give you any recommendations for US suppliers.

Diana
--
My precious Stone: Once my rock, now my diamond in the sky.
The aad group web site: http://www.ourdogs.chilly-hippo.co.uk

Learn more about your pets: http://www.infopet.co.uk

Gwen Watson
2003-07-11 09:48:28 EST

Krishur wrote:

> Upmarket a little:
> Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard) Super Mix 5 Puppy
> Innova Puppy
> California Natural Puppy
> --
> Kristen &
> Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT
> http://www.kristenandkali.com

Where is the Canidae on this list? Or Eagle Pack?

BTW several of the corgi breeders insist on
using Eukanuba. I am not fond of it but
the breeder I obtained Reznor from had
him on it. So I am converting him off slowly
but surely.

I may be giving him a mix of Canidae and
Eagle Pack for quite a while if not forever.

Gwen

*@triad.rr.com
2003-07-12 16:17:31 EST
It sounds like normal puppy behavior but what does the vet say?
"CM" <marshmalNOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi I bought a pom female puppy about 2 weeks ago and she is 2 1/2 months
old
> now.
>
> Everytime after she ate (Eukanuba) she just gone "insane": chewing stuffs
> crazily, grinning loudly, running around in unusual fast speed, jumping
here
> and there like there is an invisible dog biting or annoying her, her
> behavior scares me alot, especially when she grins loudly and chewing at
her
> toy fiercely at the same time, she is like a mad puppy!
>
> Is she Normal?

Krishur
2003-07-13 08:37:49 EST
I just named off the ones I'm familiar with--I'm sure there are more out
there that are good.

However, Eagle Pack has *a lot* of corn, salt and dried beet pulp--not a
good food.

OTOH, Canidae is a very, very good food.

Mixing the two is like mixing Cocoa Puffs and Grape Nuts for breakfast.

Kristen

"Gwen Watson" <gwen@ig.utexas.edu> wrote in message

> Krishur wrote:
>
> > Upmarket a little:
> > Wellness (Old Mother Hubbard) Super Mix 5 Puppy
> > Innova Puppy
> > California Natural Puppy
> > --
> > Kristen &
> > Kali CD, CGC, TDI, TT
> > http://www.kristenandkali.com
> >

> Where is the Canidae on this list? Or Eagle Pack?
>
> BTW several of the corgi breeders insist on
> using Eukanuba. I am not fond of it but
> the breeder I obtained Reznor from had
> him on it. So I am converting him off slowly
> but surely.
>
> I may be giving him a mix of Canidae and
> Eagle Pack for quite a while if not forever.
>
> Gwen

CM
2003-07-13 19:24:49 EST
Yup, getting a bit better now, and I just got a big injure on my left leg
for her...
We are starting to think if we should feed her human food, coz she loves my
food, I ate in front of her one times, then she kept barking for my food, I
gave her a bit, then from then on she keeps barking for my food when I eat.

<*r@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> It sounds like normal puppy behavior but what does the vet say?
> "CM" <marshmalNOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Hi I bought a pom female puppy about 2 weeks ago and she is 2 1/2 months
> old
> > now.
> >
> > Everytime after she ate (Eukanuba) she just gone "insane": chewing
stuffs
> > crazily, grinning loudly, running around in unusual fast speed, jumping
> here
> > and there like there is an invisible dog biting or annoying her, her
> > behavior scares me alot, especially when she grins loudly and chewing at
> her
> > toy fiercely at the same time, she is like a mad puppy!
> >
> > Is she Normal?

Krishur
2003-07-14 06:19:56 EST
She'll learn very quickly to bark and keep barking to get your food--even if
you decide to start feeding her "people food" you shouldn't do it from the
table. She will also start to ignore her food knowing that if she's
persistent you'll give her people food. Make a decision and stick with
it--cute now will become obnoxious very shortly.

There are a few good books out there dedicated to feeding homecooked
diets--be sure to read one so that you can be sure you are feeding her a
complete diet. Dogwise has lots of good books on the subject:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R31D22145

--

> Yup, getting a bit better now, and I just got a big injure on my left leg
> for her...
> We are starting to think if we should feed her human food, coz she loves
my
> food, I ate in front of her one times, then she kept barking for my food,
> gave her a bit, then from then on she keeps barking for my food when I
eat.

> <eluther@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> > It sounds like normal puppy behavior but what does the vet say?
> > "CM" <marshmalNOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi I bought a pom female puppy about 2 weeks ago and she is 2 1/2
months
> > old
> > > now.
> > >
> > > Everytime after she ate (Eukanuba) she just gone "insane": chewing
> stuffs
> > > crazily, grinning loudly, running around in unusual fast speed,
jumping
> > here
> > > and there like there is an invisible dog biting or annoying her, her
> > > behavior scares me alot, especially when she grins loudly and chewing
at
> > her
> > > toy fiercely at the same time, she is like a mad puppy!
> > >
> > > Is she Normal?

Gwen Watson
2003-07-14 09:42:24 EST

Krishur wrote:

> I just named off the ones I'm familiar with--I'm sure there are more out
> there that are good.
>
> However, Eagle Pack has *a lot* of corn, salt and dried beet pulp--not a
> good food.

The Eagle Pack I have doesn't have corn in it. It is called Holistic.
There are several varieties of Eagle Pack.

> OTOH, Canidae is a very, very good food.
>
> Mixing the two is like mixing Cocoa Puffs and Grape Nuts for breakfast.
>
> Kristen

LOL. I love the above analogy.:)

Gwen

Gwen Watson
2003-07-14 11:31:50 EST

Krishur wrote:

> The Holistic Select Canine formula looks pretty good.

I agree. And I wasn't fond of Eagle Pack either. I felt the
same way until finding this formula. My new little stinker
was turning up his nose a dry kibble.

> This formula is the needle in the haystack--*every* other formula is way too
> corny, salty and loaded with beet pulp. IIWY I'd specifically name this
> formula when recommending so people don't may pick up one of the other
> (really, really inferior) formulas.
>
> Kristen

I totally agree. I love Canidae. I have tried Innova on Blade and it
made him very gassy so I went back to Canidae.

And Wellness was one of the only kibbles Blade has not eaten
immediately.

So again Canidae is it for my house.

Puppy was sent to me on Eukanuba. Not at all a food I am fond of.
So I am slowly weaning him off.

Everytime I try to give all Canidae his stools get too lose. So then
I end up giving a tad of Eukanuba. Seems as though many corgi
breeders use it for some reason.

Gwen