Dog Discussion: Rottweiler Tears Off Baby's Scalp !

Rottweiler Tears Off Baby's Scalp !
Posts: 7

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Ban Fighting Dogs
2003-12-09 05:38:10 EST
WEST POTTSGROVE -- The parents of a child bitten by a family dog last month
have been cited for harboring dangerous animals.

Zachary Moore, who will turn 1 next week, was bitten Nov. 6 by Brutus, one
of two 120-pound rottweilers owned by the Moore family.

The baby's scalp was torn off in the attack. He was flown to Children's
Hospital of Philadelphia, where the scalp was reattached, according to his
father, Edward Moore.

"It was a pretty traumatic thing," Moore said. "He's doing pretty well now.
He had another surgery (Dec. 1). Hopefully that will be it."

Moore said his son is expected to make a full recovery. He also said he is
going to fight the dangerous animal citations.

"They want both dogs put down, for no reason we can understand," Moore said.
"We're fighting it."

Brutus was euthanized two weeks after the attack. Moore said he got the dog
from a pound in Delaware County.

"We only had him three months," Moore said. "He had gone through a period of
starvation but never really showed any food aggression. He was a bit rough
around the edges, but he was turning into a good dog."

Zachary was bitten after approaching the dog while it was eating, according
to police.

Moore admitted the dog had previously bitten his 2-year-old daughter.

"The first week he accidentally bit my daughter on the hand, but it didn't
even break the skin."

Animal Control Officer Bill Crosby said the Moore family will have to prove
their surviving rottweiler is not aggressive.

Otherwise, they will be required to get insurance, a special permit and a
muzzle for the dog. It would have to be muzzled and kept on a 3-foot leash
when outside, Crosby said.

"People need to be educated about keeping dangerous dogs," Crosby said.
"This situation here is mind boggling."

A hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 15 before District Justice Thomas
Palladino in Pottstown. The Moore family is facing a $300 fine for harboring
Brutus, and could face an additional fine if Micheleen, the 5-year-old
rottweiler still with the family, is deemed dangerous, Crosby said.
--
Ban Fighting Dogs


Advise Your Local Politician

No One Else Needs To Be Hurt !



Russ
2003-12-09 05:56:42 EST
If you knew anything about dogs in general, you would know that the fault
here is due to ignorance of the adult owners of the dogs. Not the dogs.




--



"Ban Fighting Dogs" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:mChBb.20999$r%u1.17289@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> WEST POTTSGROVE -- The parents of a child bitten by a family dog last
month
> have been cited for harboring dangerous animals.
>
> Zachary Moore, who will turn 1 next week, was bitten Nov. 6 by Brutus, one
> of two 120-pound rottweilers owned by the Moore family.
>
> The baby's scalp was torn off in the attack. He was flown to Children's
> Hospital of Philadelphia, where the scalp was reattached, according to his
> father, Edward Moore.
>
> "It was a pretty traumatic thing," Moore said. "He's doing pretty well
now.
> He had another surgery (Dec. 1). Hopefully that will be it."
>
> Moore said his son is expected to make a full recovery. He also said he is
> going to fight the dangerous animal citations.
>
> "They want both dogs put down, for no reason we can understand," Moore
said.
> "We're fighting it."
>
> Brutus was euthanized two weeks after the attack. Moore said he got the
dog
> from a pound in Delaware County.
>
> "We only had him three months," Moore said. "He had gone through a period
of
> starvation but never really showed any food aggression. He was a bit rough
> around the edges, but he was turning into a good dog."
>
> Zachary was bitten after approaching the dog while it was eating,
according
> to police.
>
> Moore admitted the dog had previously bitten his 2-year-old daughter.
>
> "The first week he accidentally bit my daughter on the hand, but it didn't
> even break the skin."
>
> Animal Control Officer Bill Crosby said the Moore family will have to
prove
> their surviving rottweiler is not aggressive.
>
> Otherwise, they will be required to get insurance, a special permit and a
> muzzle for the dog. It would have to be muzzled and kept on a 3-foot leash
> when outside, Crosby said.
>
> "People need to be educated about keeping dangerous dogs," Crosby said.
> "This situation here is mind boggling."
>
> A hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 15 before District Justice Thomas
> Palladino in Pottstown. The Moore family is facing a $300 fine for
harboring
> Brutus, and could face an additional fine if Micheleen, the 5-year-old
> rottweiler still with the family, is deemed dangerous, Crosby said.
> --
> Ban Fighting Dogs
>
>
> Advise Your Local Politician
>
> No One Else Needs To Be Hurt !
>
>



Dave Nay
2003-12-09 10:05:13 EST
Russ wrote:

> If you knew anything about dogs in general, you would know that the fault
> here is due to ignorance of the adult owners of the dogs. Not the dogs.
>

You are correct....I will now go and review all the news articles from
the past 10 years of children being mauled by Chiuauas. The fault is
not the dogs, true....but the _problem_ is the dog.

>
>
>>"They want both dogs put down, for no reason we can understand," Moore

Dumb shit....the dog almost killed your child, that's the reason.

>>"We only had him three months," Moore said. "He had gone through a period
>
> of
>
>>starvation

Here I agree....this is truly the problem of the owner, not the dog.

but never really showed any food aggression.

All pack animals will have food aggression tendancies.

>>Moore admitted the dog had previously bitten his 2-year-old daughter.

Clue stick!

>
>>Brutus, and could face an additional fine if Micheleen, the 5-year-old
>>rottweiler still with the family, is deemed dangerous, Crosby said.

WRONG!!!!! The owner should not in any way be fined for something the
animal has not done...even if the tendancie may be there!



Michael A. Ball
2003-12-09 10:30:56 EST
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:38:10 GMT, "Ban Fighting Dogs" <none@none.com> wrote:

>WEST POTTSGROVE -- The parents of a child bitten by a family dog last month
>have been cited for harboring dangerous animals.
>
>Zachary Moore, who will turn 1 next week, was bitten Nov. 6 by Brutus, one
>of two 120-pound rottweilers owned by the Moore family.
>[...]
>"They want both dogs put down, for no reason we can understand," Moore said.
>"We're fighting it."
>
>"We only had him three months," Moore said. "He had gone through a period of
>starvation but never really showed any food aggression. He was a bit rough
>around the edges, but he was turning into a good dog."
>
>Zachary was bitten after approaching the dog while it was eating, according
>to police.
>
>Moore admitted the dog had previously bitten his 2-year-old daughter.
>"The first week he accidentally bit my daughter on the hand, but it didn't
>even break the skin." [...]
>
>"People need to be educated about keeping dangerous dogs," Crosby said.
>"This situation here is mind boggling." [...]

I hate this stupid crap! Brutus dies, while the stupid parents get to keep
making the same blunders!

Just how ignorant, irresponsible and so forth is it to bring 120 pound
Rottweiller home from the shelter, and allow it to mingle with a baby--even
supervised? Isn't that pretty close to "child abuse"? Not knowing Brutus's
full history, but knowing that he had been starved and abused, the Moores
allowed Zachary to roam around and end up at the dog's food bowl? They are
unworthy pet owners and unworthy parents.

The Moores couldn't understand why authorities wanted both dogs killed. The
reason is clear to me: the Moores are dangerous because they are allowed to
own dogs they can't control.

Poor Brutus began his bite history the first week in the Moore home.

The ACO handling the case rightly stated that, "People need to be educated
about keeping dangerous dogs." He also said, "This situation here is mind
boggling." Moores are evidently clues; so, their children and Brutus have paid
the price for their ignorance and wrecklessness.

I'd like to believe Brutus was salvageable, but there is no way I'd have given
him so much trust in only three months. It's lunacy. Is it possible to bring
home a 120 pound Rottweiller with an uncertain history, and make it into a
family pet? No, not always. But if you can earn it's respect and trust; if you
can learn what bothers it and or frightens it; if you have the assertiveness,
patience and love, yes, you can make some remarkable advances and eventually
have a pet that feels safe and at peace. Will that pet be 100% safe? Probably
not: it might be only 99.9% safe. That is why the owner must always maintain
control of the dog.

This stuff is not rocket science, but it is a step or two beyond common sense.
Still, one can learn so much just by reading and spending much time with dogs.
It requires some commitment.

Now, "Ban Fighting Dogs," no person in their right mind wants anyone,
especially a child, to get attacked by a dog. So, you can post all of these
sad stories you want, but you're addressing the wrong crowd here, for the most
part. Irresponsible pet owners don't spend much time in this news group--or in
any other educational situation.

You'll earn a lot more respect, if you begin putting the blame where it
belongs--on stupid pet owners.

Michael
Whatever it takes.

Jokerpit
2003-12-09 10:50:15 EST
and you are so much a expert why?


"Dave Nay" <dnay@IHATESPAMvidanay.com> wrote in message
news:JwlBb.7328$Ho3.158@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
: Russ wrote:
:
: > If you knew anything about dogs in general, you would know
that the fault
: > here is due to ignorance of the adult owners of the dogs. Not
the dogs.
: >
:
: You are correct....I will now go and review all the news
articles from
: the past 10 years of children being mauled by Chiuauas. The
fault is
: not the dogs, true....but the _problem_ is the dog.
:
: >
: >
: >>"They want both dogs put down, for no reason we can
understand," Moore
:
: Dumb shit....the dog almost killed your child, that's the
reason.
:
: >>"We only had him three months," Moore said. "He had gone
through a period
: >
: > of
: >
: >>starvation
:
: Here I agree....this is truly the problem of the owner, not the
dog.
:
: but never really showed any food aggression.
:
: All pack animals will have food aggression tendancies.
:
: >>Moore admitted the dog had previously bitten his 2-year-old
daughter.
:
: Clue stick!
:
: >
: >>Brutus, and could face an additional fine if Micheleen, the
5-year-old
: >>rottweiler still with the family, is deemed dangerous, Crosby
said.
:
: WRONG!!!!! The owner should not in any way be fined for
something the
: animal has not done...even if the tendancie may be there!
:
:



Steve
2003-12-09 14:16:42 EST
I think the animal shelter had a responsibilty to evaluate and determine the
behavioral characteristics of this dog before they let anyone adopt it.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rottweilers and had a very nice one until a year
ago. I consider Rottweilers to be a dangerous breed..

After observing mine for 6 years, around other people, I felt there was a
risk.. He had never bitten anyone but didn't like anyone advancing on him..
He would go up to people and sniff and lick them but wouldn't allow them to
pet or touch.

I took him to the local pound/shelter, operated by the local police.. They
have a program to evaluate the dogs and determine their risk.. He was infact
considered at high risk/danger to the public. They wouldn't even place him
as a watch dog because of the risk that he might get loose.

I let them put him down.. I miss him very much but I feel much more at ease
now..

Steve



Elmo
2003-12-09 17:09:18 EST
Steve wrote:

> I think the animal shelter had a responsibilty to evaluate and determine the
> behavioral characteristics of this dog before they let anyone adopt it.
>
> Don't get me wrong. I love Rottweilers and had a very nice one until a year
> ago. I consider Rottweilers to be a dangerous breed..
>
> After observing mine for 6 years, around other people, I felt there was a
> risk.. He had never bitten anyone but didn't like anyone advancing on him..
> He would go up to people and sniff and lick them but wouldn't allow them to
> pet or touch.
>
> I took him to the local pound/shelter, operated by the local police.. They
> have a program to evaluate the dogs and determine their risk.. He was infact
> considered at high risk/danger to the public. They wouldn't even place him
> as a watch dog because of the risk that he might get loose.
>
> I let them put him down.. I miss him very much but I feel much more at ease
> now..
>
> Steve
>
>
A former neighbor had a Saint Bernard which on 2 separate occasions made
realistic attempts to savage 2 distinct blond, blue-eyed, hyperactive boy
children less than 10 years old. She put him down after the second
occasion because she knew that there could come a time when a dog as
large and powerful as that could break free of her control and she didn't
want to risk hurting a child. That, and what you did, constitute
responsible dog ownership.

Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron