Dog Discussion: Gudrun Beckmann's Opinion On Fighting Dogs

Gudrun Beckmann's Opinion On Fighting Dogs

Ban Fighting Dogs
2003-12-08 17:16:45 EST
http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/2000/0710/dog.html

Animal researcher Gudrun Beckmann is among the more than 70% of Germans who
believe the only way to prevent deadly canine attacks is to ban specific
breeds. "The tendency toward aggressive explosions is born in these
animals," he says. "You'll never get a poodle to jump onto a man's face no
matter how hard you train it and you'll never prevent an attack dog from at
least thinking about it." In other words, some of man's best friends are
just a whole lot nicer - and safer - than others.

--
Ban Fighting Dogs

Advise Your Local Politician

No One Else Needs To Be Hurt !

Zzorg!
2003-12-08 19:31:17 EST
My pitbull really wants to give you a piece of his mind. What's your
address?

:-)

Michael A. Ball
2003-12-08 20:22:42 EST
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:16:45 GMT, "Ban Fighting Dogs" <none@none.com> wrote:

>http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/2000/0710/dog.html
>
>Animal researcher Gudrun Beckmann is among the more than 70% of Germans who
>believe the only way to prevent deadly canine attacks is to ban specific
>breeds. "The tendency toward aggressive explosions is born in these
>animals," he says. "You'll never get a poodle to jump onto a man's face no
>matter how hard you train it and you'll never prevent an attack dog from at
>least thinking about it." In other words, some of man's best friends are
>just a whole lot nicer - and safer - than others.

Well, I'm no expert, but let's talk. I'm always trying to learn about canine
behavior--which is far more comprehendible than human behavior--so, I suppose
I'm a sort of "animal researcher."

Beckmann said, "The tendency toward aggressive explosions is born in these
animals." That's a convenient and tidy theory, but where is the proof: not
evidence, but proof?

He says. "You'll never get a poodle to jump onto a man's face no
matter how hard you train it..." That's very true; because few poodles can
make a five-foot vertical jump; but put a face at a level the dog can reach,
and you put that face at some degree of risk. Poodles have not cornered the
market on friendliness.

Beckmann also said, "...You'll never prevent an attack dog from at
least thinking about it." First of all, he seems to be, erroneously,
categorizing a wide variety powerful dogs as "attack dogs."

The "thinking about it (attacking)" is perhaps the primary thing that converts
a dog into an "attack dog"; it's not the dog's genetics.

Many breeds are born with instincts to hunt and herd, even watch or be on
guard; I see some of those instincts in my Chow Chows. Somehow, they have also
figured out that there is a time not to hunt and not to be on guard: such as
when they are comforting guests. (We manage a hospital guest house, and they
are great for guest relations.)

It's only logical that breeds could be born with the instinct to kill other
dogs, or humans. Are we to accept, as fact, Beckmann's statement that these
aggressive instincts can't be controlled?

I don't know nearly enough pit bulls to give a pit bull the same latitude that
my Chow Chows enjoy, but it's hard for me to believe that one can never be
trustworthy, within certainly responsible parameters.

If there is ever a law to ban stupid, cruel, ignorant, irresponsible dog
owners, it will have my fervent and undying support.

Michael

Whatever it takes.

ZPL
2003-12-08 20:59:08 EST
Your post brought a thought to mind. Sorry if it is a little offensive for
some.

I work for the ME's Office. Many times people die at home alone, and may be
in the home for days with a pet. The breeds notorious for "post mortem
activity" are the smaller toy breeds and terriers. The rarest? The "attack
dogs". In fact, many of these dogs will just about starve before even
thinking about chewing open a bag of dog food.

"Michael A. Ball" <Guardian@wireco.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> figured out that there is a time not to hunt and not to be on guard: such
as
> when they are comforting guests. (We manage a hospital guest house, and
they
> are great for guest relations.)
>
> It's only logical that breeds could be born with the instinct to kill
other
> dogs, or humans. Are we to accept, as fact, Beckmann's statement that
these
> aggressive instincts can't be controlled?
>
> I don't know nearly enough pit bulls to give a pit bull the same latitude
that
> my Chow Chows enjoy, but it's hard for me to believe that one can never be
> trustworthy, within certainly responsible parameters.
>
> If there is ever a law to ban stupid, cruel, ignorant, irresponsible dog
> owners, it will have my fervent and undying support.

Jokerpit
2003-12-09 10:45:06 EST
DITTO
"Zzorg!" <Pitbullsforever@Ihatespammingscum.com> wrote in message
: My pitbull really wants to give you a piece of his mind. What's
your
: address?
:
: :-)
:

Smcelvanney
2003-12-11 21:53:41 EST
Nah...dogs are what the owner makes them...lead by example.