Dog Discussion: Rawhide Stick Killed Our Dog

Rawhide Stick Killed Our Dog

Nicolas Verhaeghe
2003-11-30 01:45:48 EST
Weenie was a wonderful 1-year old Dachsund who was very affectionate,
playful, full of life and just the nicest little Dachsie.

This afternoon, we found her dying in our backyard. We had gone for
about 2 hours and came back to find her losing a huge amount of blood
from her rear end.

I will not give you all the details, but she had been suffering a
horrible ordeal and her back end was not only messy with blood.

She was out of it and could not move, just barely keep her eyes open
and wag her tail a little when we called her name.

At first I though one of my neighbors attacked her, as Weenie was a
barker, but Baby, her mom, our other Dachsund, was not apparently
petrified or scared as she would have been if a stranger had assaulted
my dogs.

The vet dismissed the fact that any trauma was inflicted to our dog.
Just that her insides were extremely painful and that she had bled
profusely from both ends.

I decided to do what was best for Weenie and petted her when she was
put to sleep.

I told my kids that a little boy or girl in heaven was now playing
with Weenie and I like to think it's true.

The reason of Weenie's death? A piece of rawhide stick, the very small
kind, had punctured through her intestines.

I feel extremely bad about this, because I put it into our shopping
cart myself after one of my daughters picked it.

Do not buy rawhide treats or toys to your dogs. After looking on
Google, I found out that many other dogs had died pretty much the same
way: punctured intestines or stomach, or clogged intestines or
stomach.

I am not trying to start or perpetuate an urban legend, believe me.
This is a true story, it happened today and a little loving dog who
was here this morning is not here anymore tonight.

Just stay away from rawhide treats. It's just not good for any dog,
whatever the breed!

I hope this message will help save the lives of a few dogs.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-30 02:52:50 EST
HOWEDY Nicolas,

Tough break for Weenie and your family.

NHOWE you'd better watch HOWET for the
weenies that hang HOWET here to try to take
advantage of grieving folks like yourself.

You'll probably get solicited in some serruptitiHOWES
manner by ed w of PET LOSS dot COIN or some other
anonymHOWES cretin (probably ed w's mirror site)
called lighteningstrike. You'll be begged for money for
a nice cybermemorial and someWON else's words on
a tee shirt for a donation to their cause. He/she/it/them
are liars and dog abusers who encourage folks to do things
that'll hurt their dogs cause they make their livin off of dead
dogs.

DON'T LET THOSE CROOKS RIP YOU OFF.

R.I.P. Weenie.

R.I.P. ed.

R.I.P. lightenin.

The Puppy Wizard. <{ : ~ ( >

"Nicolas Verhaeghe" <nicver@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Weenie was a wonderful 1-year old Dachsund who was very
affectionate,
> playful, full of life and just the nicest little Dachsie.
>
> This afternoon, we found her dying in our backyard. We had gone
for
> about 2 hours and came back to find her losing a huge amount of
blood
> from her rear end.
>
> I will not give you all the details, but she had been suffering
> horrible ordeal and her back end was not only messy with blood.
>
> She was out of it and could not move, just barely keep her eyes
open
> and wag her tail a little when we called her name.
>
> At first I though one of my neighbors attacked her, as Weenie
was a
> barker, but Baby, her mom, our other Dachsund, was not
apparently
> petrified or scared as she would have been if a stranger had
assaulted
> my dogs.
>
> The vet dismissed the fact that any trauma was inflicted to our
dog.
> Just that her insides were extremely painful and that she had
bled
> profusely from both ends.
>
> I decided to do what was best for Weenie and petted her when she
was
> put to sleep.
>
> I told my kids that a little boy or girl in heaven was now
playing
> with Weenie and I like to think it's true.
>
> The reason of Weenie's death? A piece of rawhide stick, the very
small
> kind, had punctured through her intestines.
>
> I feel extremely bad about this, because I put it into our
shopping
> cart myself after one of my daughters picked it.
>
> Do not buy rawhide treats or toys to your dogs. After looking on
> Google, I found out that many other dogs had died pretty much
the same
> way: punctured intestines or stomach, or clogged intestines or
> stomach.
>
> I am not trying to start or perpetuate an urban legend, believe
me.
> This is a true story, it happened today and a little loving dog
who
> was here this morning is not here anymore tonight.
>
> Just stay away from rawhide treats. It's just not good for any
dog,
> whatever the breed!
>
> I hope this message will help save the lives of a few dogs.

Diddy
2003-11-30 07:31:19 EST
n*r@yahoo.com (Nicolas Verhaeghe) wrote in

<snip very sad, heartfelt saga of a bad experience>

I'm sorry your Weenie and family went through this. The same warning could
be said of hooves, piggy ears,snouts, and similar chewing devices.

> Just stay away from rawhide treats. It's just not good for any dog,
> whatever the breed!
>
> I hope this message will help save the lives of a few dogs.

Jokerpit
2003-11-30 10:37:16 EST
Another good reason I do not let my dogs have such items.....

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net> wrote in
message
: HOWEDY Nicolas,
:
[...]
: >
[...]

NetMaster

{:-) Happy Holidays

http://LNGIFTS.home.insightbb.com
http://www.QuickInfo247.com/8306069
http://www.GiftWorldNet.com/LNGIFTS
http://www.MalakYAH.FreeStoreClub.com
http://www.MalakYAH.WebStoreClub.com
http://www.Hop.ClickBank.net/?MalakYAH/Surveys2
https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=YESQNAXYEGZGE

[...]

---

Colin Wilson
2003-11-30 16:46:56 EST
> {:-) Happy Holidays
> http://spam.home.insightbb.com
> http://www.QuickInfo247.com/spam
> http://www.GiftWorldNet.com/spam
> http://www.spam.FreeStoreClub.com
> http://www.spam.WebStoreClub.com
> http://www.Hop.ClickBank.net/?spam/Surveys2
> https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=spam

You sick spamming fuckwit - I hope you choke on your turkey.
Abuse reports WILL be filed to all sites concerned.

Sorry to hear about Weenie :-(

Carey Gregory
2003-11-30 19:41:44 EST
Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

>You sick spamming fuckwit - I hope you choke on your turkey.
>Abuse reports WILL be filed to all sites concerned.
>
>Sorry to hear about Weenie :-(

My thoughts exactly. I gave up chasing down and killing spammers a long
time ago, but this sonofabitch deserves special attention.

If anyone else would like to add their two cents, send it to
a*e@insightbb.com and abuse@lighthouseamerica.com

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-30 23:48:58 EST

From: The Puppy Wizard (ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net)

Subject: Re: My Dog Eats Own Poop...HELP. - "Danny Will Not
Look At A Cat. When Confronted With One, Danny Wees Himself
And Cowers Hiding Behind Me For Help,"

HOWEDY diddler,

> Joolz wrote:
> > Not quite sure as a "googlegroups newbie" what is going
> > on between Diane and The puppy wizzard ???

Master Of Deception blankman recommends shocking, jerking
and choking dogs on pronged spiked pinch choke collars, spraying
aversives in their faces and beats her own dog in the face with a
shepherd's crook, just for starters.

> Hi Joolz,
> Diane Blackman,

Also recommends debarking as a cure for anxiety barking.

> if you ignore the rantings and ravings of a very sad
> man that needs a lot of help,

You and your lying dog abusing Punk Thug Coward pals
posting here is the only thing makes The Puppy Wizzzard
SAD, diddler.

Very very sad, diddler. You and your pals HURT and KILL
innocent animals because you fear and hate their BAD
BEHAVIORS.

> I think you will find a very wise and patient woman,

Yeah. She's a proven liar and dog abuser, like you, diddler.

> who gives excellent advice

She's a liar and a dog abuser, diddler. FurtherMOORE, she
recently plagiarized the heeling method from The Puppy
Wizzzard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual.

Bye the bye, diddler, there's NEVER been a student FAIL
to achieve 100% near instant total satisfaction using their
FREE copy of The Puppy Wizzzard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual. Every testimonial is
verifiable, so you can call or write or maybe even visit
them, if they'd have anything to do with you, which is
HUGELY UNLIKELY... cause you're a liar and animal abuser.

> and offers valuable resources.

Her website takes us to the most vicious inoformation on the WWW.

> You have the faction of a couple of (unmoderated) ill people who
> apparently are jealous of Diane or anyone who give sound advice

She HURTS and KILLS dogs, diddler, like you do.

> and make up things about them.

Everything's in The Puppy Wizzzard's ARCHIVES, diddler.
That's HOWE COME The Puppy Wizzzard is on a PUBIC
newsgroup.

> Ignore the ravers

You mean the folks who don't HURT and KILL dogs to train them,
diddler?

> and their sockpuppets (people posting from the same sources
> with made up names and addresses to support themselves and
> positions) and enjoy!

Yeah. The Puppy Wizzzard is hugely unlikely to say anything
that can't be PROVEN in blankman and white, diddler.

Ask professor lying doc "SCRUFF SHAKE and SCREAM 'NO!'
into its face for 5 seconds and lock IT in a box for ten minutes
reflection" dermer, of the department of ANAL-ytic behaviorISM
at UofWI...

But FIRST, here's YOU HURTIN and KILLIN critters for fun,
profit, and outta sheer stupidity:

"Danny Will Not Look At A Cat. When Confronted With One,
Danny Wees Himself And Cowers Hiding Behind Me For Help,"

"Oh My GOD!!! - I Would Never Have Treated Her The Way I
Did Last Night, If I Had Even A Clue That She Was Sick," diddler.

diddy (diddy@nospam.diddy.net)
Subject: Oh My God

Two nights ago, Reka started acting frantic about 11pm.
I let her out. It's coyote breeding season, and she is fascinated
by them. I assumed she wanted to go out and listen to them
howling. I brought her in, and she spent the night franticly and
desperately demanding to go out.

After about 4am, I finally put her in the barn, locked
securely in a horse stall for the night.

She came in by morning, and had a normal active, playful
day. Last night, at 11pm, She franticly DEMANDED to go
out. I let her out, and brought her in. At midnight, she
DEMANDED to be let out. I let her out, but I went out
to the barn and got a crate, and decided she could
spend the rest of the night in the crate. We were NOT
going to do a repeat of the previous night AGAIN.

At 3am, she whined so loudly, I then decided not to
allow her to set a precedence of this type of behavior.
So I took her crate out to the heated gun shop and
decided to let her act out her bad behavior in peace,
and send a message that her obnoxious behavior
was not going to be tolerated.

This morning at 6am, I went out, and she had vomited
(normal looking dog food) and defecated in her crate
(not normal for Reka, but then, She normally didn't
sleep in a crate, NEVER gets corrected (she never does
anything to GET corrected for) and was probably nerves
from the outside experience, plus reprimand and solitary
confinement.)

I let her in the house while I cleaned the cage. Hoping
I had made my point. She acted healthy and normal, and
playful and chipper. But then I noticed a spot of blood on
the bathroom linoleum and in the bathtub. I was the last to
take a bath, so I knew REKA was the last in the tub.

That blood didnt come from me, so it HAD to come from
Reka. Thinking about her nearing the end of her heat cycle,
I still didnt think a lot about it. I thought her obnoxious
behavior the past couple nights WAS her heat cycle..
and corresponding coyote breeding season.

Then while feeding her breakfast, I saw the whole story.
She had blood (fresh) streaming from her RECTUM. UhOh.

I had her at the vets office this morning before he
opened. He just said her intestines were all bunched
up with huge air pockets.

Was there any chance that she ate strings of carpets? I
said, last Thursday we took a plastic tarp out of the yard
that we had over the grill to protect it from the weather
because she was chewing it. That would explain
EVERYTHING.

The strings are binding and bunching up her intestines,
cutting her internally and tying her intestines in knots as
it works its way through.

Reka is in a very critical situation. She is going to
require extensive and expensive surgery that I cant
afford. I will manage.

Even with the surgery, her condition will be critical
for awhile. Scary thoughts. I would never have
treated her the way I did last night, if I had even a
clue that she was sick. I feel so badly.
--
diddy

==================================

From: diddy
(*y@nospam.diddy.net)
Subject: Re: What would you do in this situation?
Date: 2002-05-31 14:49:22 PST

Actually, I borrowed the vets office kitten once for a
couple days for school education on pet care and safe
handling as well as responsible pet ownership.

I kept the kitten over night in a crate within a crate
and yet my dog (yes, Angelic Danny, as well as Taya
and Toby tore that kittne to threads from between the
crate bars. (apparently he stuck his paws through the
crate to bat at the dogs. I was out doing yard work
and rushed in to find the little kittens pieces and
parts being torn through by ALL the dogs.

I called my girl friend to come get my dogs. I screamed
displeasure, and stalked out with the kitten. Danny, et
al spent 3 days in a kennel until I finally felt like I
could interact with them without doing bodily harm. All
three dogs were never touched, but knew they had done
something so unspeakable that I wouldn't associate with
them and they got banished.

To this day, Taya (mom and Dad's dog) and Danny will not
look at a cat. When confronted with one, Danny wees
himself and cowers hiding behind me for help.

I'm not saying this would work this way with all dogs, But mom
and dad now have a house cat, and she has never been
harmed by any of the dogs. Danny is there all the time,
unsupervised, and has no interest in harming the cat.

From: diddy (diddy@nospam.diddy.net)
Subject: Re: cats : Crating/Caging: What constitutes abuse?
Date: 2002-08-23 09:18:08 PST

Lyn wrote:

> > You know I'm a cat abuser because I let my cat out.
> > Alison
> Well, it totally depends upon where you live, as to whether
> or not doing so is in the best interest of your animal.
> Abuser isn't a term I would use, and I am a "cat group"
> regular.

Here it would be abuse. If you like your cat you keep it
home. I run a state authorized and monitored nuisance
animal trapline.

This morning there was a cat in a snare. Ordinarily,
an animal caught in a snare can be released unharmed.
One of the animals I am targeting is coyotes (and the
complaint was that coyotes were killing area cats)

Duh.. If your cats are becoming lunch for wild animals,
to me .. It makes sense to keep your cats in where they
can't become lunch.. whatever.

Regarding this cat in the snare. It went nuts. It leaped,
and tangled itself, and most certainly strangulated it's
intestines. It had the snare pulled tight down to the
diameter of a dime (just large enough to encircle the
spine) around the waist area.

This cats snarled, and attacked. Trying to extricate this cat
was exceedingly difficult, not to mention dangerous. Because
I feared damage to the intestines and death of the gut, I
imagined this cat was not likely to survive.

It would have been much simpler to dispatch the unfortunate
cat and take out the dead body. Instead, this cat wore a
collar. it deserved a chance, and the owner deserved closure.
(no id on the collar) .

It escaped, just as I released it and it couldn't be taken to
the vet for examination. I will probably never know if this
particular cat survives the experience or not.

People in the area were aware that trapping was being done and
apparently still let their cats run free, b oth endangered by
the traps and by the coyotes being targeted that are causing a
problem with their cat population.

Had that cat not been wearing a collar, I would not have tried
to release this hostile cat. Releasing it may not have been a
kindness, but then... cats weren't supposed to be attracted to
this type of trap, in this position, and then they weren't
supposed to go ape, to get themselves in this situation.
If you like your pet, you keep them home.

======================================

> > Who's he? I can't see any posts by anyone of that name.
Tell us
> > about your dogs, please, Jennifer, Stan and Tara.
> > Alikat

> With strategic killfiling, I also don't see others
> rebuttals either

Yeah. Like you missed my information on breaking dogs of CHEWING
and besides, you was too busy jerking and choking and scolding
your
dog.

> It got quiet once I learned effective killfiling.

Didn't it though???

Seein as most every thread is about Jerry Howe and
HOWE COME you should KILLFILE the INFORMATION you
bums need and don't have cause if you admit to using
my methods, your pals will be EMBARRASSED after they've
been tellin everybody my methods don't work and I'm a
liar and con man.

That's O.K., diddler. I PLANNED it like that... I'm a dog trainer.

> I haven't seen a JH post since last august..

INDEED, but HE sees yours, diddler.

> and thought he ceased to exist,

Like your dog came close to not existing anyMOORE after
chewin up some stuff and got HURT on it.

Cost you THOWESANDS at the vet??? At least $1500.00, eh diddler?

> until you mentioned that it's apparently a problem for you

Seems Jerry's a bit of a problem for ALL of our dog
lovers...who like to jerk and choke and shock and
spray aversives in their dog's faces, diddler.

Have a little whine to wash down the strings of carpet
your dog swallowed cause you used it to cover something
else he was chewing...

> A Salute to Casey, and sent with sympathies.

Save it diddler, you need it for yourself.

You could have avoided the entire incident had you
TRAINED your dog using my methods not to chew
stuff. But you'd rather force, intimidate and barricade
instead of handle and train your dog like a respectable
dog handler and decent human being. Adios... Thug.

Jerry.

> diddy

Colin Wilson
2003-12-01 12:39:58 EST
> If anyone else would like to add their two cents, send it to
> abuse@insightbb.com and abuse@lighthouseamerica.com

Where does the lighthouseamerica come from ? I can`t see it in the header

The Pc Store
2003-12-01 15:08:27 EST
My thoughts exactly. I gave up chasing down and killing spammers a long
time ago, but this sonofabitch deserves special attention.

If anyone else would like to add their two cents, send it to
notnacctfd.com and abusecarrienow.com