Dog Discussion: Dog Losing Hair

Dog Losing Hair

Betsy
2003-11-09 13:20:25 EST
Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his hair, much more
than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat should be
thickening?

He's lost a lot of weight too. That's probably OK. Now he is
"slender-normal", about 65-70 lbs.

I've read about dog nutrition, and he gets about a third each of vegetables,
meat (beef or chicken, no fat) and white rice, supplemented with a
multivitamin.

He's on this diet because of his pancreatitis.

He has epilepsy and gets 120 mg. PB and 2 ml. KBr per day, and I add a milk
thistle to this.

What could be the problem, assuming this is not seasonal shedding? Could he
need more fat? I am afraid of working his pancreas too hard.

Should I add lipids like Lipiderm?

I really hesitate to go back to a commercial diet because of the pancreas,
but perhaps it would be best to gradually introduce commercial foods.

His thyroid was supposedly tested when he had his last neuro visit.

Thanks in advance.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-09 15:49:46 EST
HOWEDY betsy,

Your dog got The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME.

Welcome to the club!

Try masturbating your dog for five minutes every
nite before bedtime like professor SCRUFF SHAKE
did to cure his little Maxie's anxiety health problems.

"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his hair,
much more
> than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat
should be
> thickening?
>
> He's lost a lot of weight too. That's probably OK. Now he is
> "slender-normal", about 65-70 lbs.
>
> I've read about dog nutrition, and he gets about a third each of
vegetables,
> meat (beef or chicken, no fat) and white rice, supplemented with
> multivitamin.
>
> He's on this diet because of his pancreatitis.
>
> He has epilepsy and gets 120 mg. PB and 2 ml. KBr per day, and I
add a milk
> thistle to this.
>
> What could be the problem, assuming this is not seasonal
shedding? Could he
> need more fat? I am afraid of working his pancreas too hard.
>
> Should I add lipids like Lipiderm?
>
> I really hesitate to go back to a commercial diet because of the
pancreas,
> but perhaps it would be best to gradually introduce commercial
foods.

> His thyroid was supposedly tested when he had his last neuro
visit.

> Thanks in advance.

Buglady
2003-11-10 05:47:53 EST

"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> I've read about dog nutrition, and he gets about a third each of
vegetables,
> meat (beef or chicken, no fat) and white rice, supplemented with a
> multivitamin.

.......Are you following some kind of recipes? Where's the calcium in this
diet?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Chowmom
2003-11-10 09:27:35 EST

"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his hair, much more
> than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat should be
> thickening?

I have always heard that it is very difficult to make homecooked diets for
dogs that provide all the nutrients they need for good health. I am not a
nutritionist, but the diet you describe doesn't sound well balanced. If it
were my dog, I would talk to my vet and and find out what the actual dietary
restrictions are for the pancreatitis (is this a forever condition?) and
switch to an appropriate commercial food. You may be doing more harm than
good with what you're feeding now.

Margaret

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-10 13:30:02 EST
The dog got The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME.

"chowmom" <chowmomNOSPAM@dicorleto.com> wrote in message

> "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> > Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his
hair, much more
> > than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat
should be
> > thickening?
> >

> I have always heard that it is very difficult to make homecooked
diets for
> dogs that provide all the nutrients they need for good health. I
am not a
> nutritionist, but the diet you describe doesn't sound well
balanced. If it
> were my dog, I would talk to my vet and and find out what the
actual dietary
> restrictions are for the pancreatitis (is this a forever
condition?) and
> switch to an appropriate commercial food. You may be doing more
harm than
> good with what you're feeding now.
>
> Margaret

Jeremy Lowe
2003-11-10 16:01:23 EST
Betsy,

What type of multi vitamin are you providing?
Are you feeding any supplement that is geared to coat and skin? Any use of
Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats?

--
Jeremy Lowe
www.healthypetnet.com/jeremy

Have you hugged your pet today?
"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his hair, much more
> than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat should be
> thickening?
>
> He's lost a lot of weight too. That's probably OK. Now he is
> "slender-normal", about 65-70 lbs.
>
> I've read about dog nutrition, and he gets about a third each of
vegetables,
> meat (beef or chicken, no fat) and white rice, supplemented with a
> multivitamin.
>
> He's on this diet because of his pancreatitis.
>
> He has epilepsy and gets 120 mg. PB and 2 ml. KBr per day, and I add a
milk
> thistle to this.
>
> What could be the problem, assuming this is not seasonal shedding? Could
he
> need more fat? I am afraid of working his pancreas too hard.
>
> Should I add lipids like Lipiderm?
>
> I really hesitate to go back to a commercial diet because of the pancreas,
> but perhaps it would be best to gradually introduce commercial foods.
>
> His thyroid was supposedly tested when he had his last neuro visit.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Steve Crane
2003-11-10 16:17:47 EST
"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message news:<Kzvrb.5$T83.117247@news.abs.net>...

Betsy - go see your vet and be sure to tell him/her EXACTLY what
you've been doing so s/he can make a reasonable diagnosis.

Matthew Eagen
2003-11-11 21:41:54 EST
Dear Betsy,
I would agree with the others in this string in that home-made diets are
REALLY hard to make balanced and provide everything that is needed for a
dog. My guess would be that you may inadvertantly (sp?) have your diet a
little lacking in something. What, I cannot tell you. There are several
commercial diets on the market that your vet can point you to that are
balanced and tasty for dogs with GI complications such as pancreatitis. We
feed Purina EN at our clinic which, according to the Purina people, is a
complete and balanced diet and can be used long-term. It is basically an
easily-digestible diet that hopefully won't get your dog's pancreas ticked
off at him. You may also want to check a thyroid level again, and liver
enzymes if he is on phenobarb. Thyroid and liver conditions can affect the
skin in strange ways.
Hope that helps!
Sincerely,
Matt
"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his hair, much more
> than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat should be
> thickening?
>
> He's lost a lot of weight too. That's probably OK. Now he is
> "slender-normal", about 65-70 lbs.
>
> I've read about dog nutrition, and he gets about a third each of
vegetables,
> meat (beef or chicken, no fat) and white rice, supplemented with a
> multivitamin.
>
> He's on this diet because of his pancreatitis.
>
> He has epilepsy and gets 120 mg. PB and 2 ml. KBr per day, and I add a
milk
> thistle to this.
>
> What could be the problem, assuming this is not seasonal shedding? Could
he
> need more fat? I am afraid of working his pancreas too hard.
>
> Should I add lipids like Lipiderm?
>
> I really hesitate to go back to a commercial diet because of the pancreas,
> but perhaps it would be best to gradually introduce commercial foods.
>
> His thyroid was supposedly tested when he had his last neuro visit.
>
> Thanks in advance.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-13 16:41:09 EST
HOWEDY Matthew,

The dog has The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME.

The CAUSE of TPWS is STRESS.

Diet will never be able to compensate for the
STRESS which depletes the NUTRITION the
dog eats.

Drugs will never adjust the nervHOWES system
until the constant STRESS of MISHANDLING is
REMOVED.

Ask professor SCRUFF SHAKE HOWE he CURED
his dog's case of The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME.

He simulates masturbating his dog every nite for five
minutes. Try it. Seems to work just like The Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method.

EXXXCEPT we don't have to sexually satisfy HOWER dogs
cause we relate to them on a non physical level.

The Puppy Wizard. <} ; ~ ) >

"Matthew Eagen" <matteagen@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Dear Betsy,
> I would agree with the others in this string in that
home-made diets are
> REALLY hard to make balanced and provide everything that is
needed for a
> dog. My guess would be that you may inadvertantly (sp?) have
your diet a
> little lacking in something. What, I cannot tell you. There
are several
> commercial diets on the market that your vet can point you to
that are
> balanced and tasty for dogs with GI complications such as
pancreatitis. We
> feed Purina EN at our clinic which, according to the Purina
people, is a
> complete and balanced diet and can be used long-term. It is
basically an
> easily-digestible diet that hopefully won't get your dog's
pancreas ticked
> off at him. You may also want to check a thyroid level again,
and liver
> enzymes if he is on phenobarb. Thyroid and liver conditions can
affect the
> skin in strange ways.
> Hope that helps!
> Sincerely,
> Matt
> "Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote in message
> > Beau the collie is on a homecooked diet. He is losing his
hair, much more
> > than seasonal molting. Anyway, isn't this the time the coat
should be
> > thickening?
> >
> > He's lost a lot of weight too. That's probably OK. Now he is
> > "slender-normal", about 65-70 lbs.
> >
> > I've read about dog nutrition, and he gets about a third each
of
> vegetables,
> > meat (beef or chicken, no fat) and white rice, supplemented
with a
> > multivitamin.
> >
> > He's on this diet because of his pancreatitis.
> >
> > He has epilepsy and gets 120 mg. PB and 2 ml. KBr per day, and
I add a
> milk
> > thistle to this.
> >
> > What could be the problem, assuming this is not seasonal
shedding? Could
> he
> > need more fat? I am afraid of working his pancreas too hard.
> >
> > Should I add lipids like Lipiderm?
> >
> > I really hesitate to go back to a commercial diet because of
the pancreas,
> > but perhaps it would be best to gradually introduce commercial
foods.

> > His thyroid was supposedly tested when he had his last neuro
visit.

> > Thanks in advance.

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-19 10:11:29 EST
SHOWENDS like The Puppy Wizard's SYNDROME, don't it.