Dog Discussion: Collie/Beagle Mix

Collie/Beagle Mix

Lit Fuse
2003-11-05 14:46:41 EST
Hi folks...got a question anda story.

I have a collie beagle mix dog that I rescued from the shelter. I've had her
4 yrs, and she is 5 yrs old now, and seems to have all the top qualities of
both breeds (collie/beagle). Only problem is she sheds BIG TIME because of
collie blood, but runs like a beagle!

My question is can I expect the same temperment/ features and attributes if
I should ever try to breed both types again?

KrisHur
2003-11-05 17:31:16 EST
I would leave breeding up to the experts.

"Lit fuse" <Run@way.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks...got a question anda story.
>
> I have a collie beagle mix dog that I rescued from the shelter. I've had
her
> 4 yrs, and she is 5 yrs old now, and seems to have all the top qualities
of
> both breeds (collie/beagle). Only problem is she sheds BIG TIME because
of
> collie blood, but runs like a beagle!
>
> My question is can I expect the same temperment/ features and attributes
if
> I should ever try to breed both types again?

Lit Fuse
2003-11-05 19:24:07 EST
There were no experts present during the conception and subsequent birth
('cept the good Lord himself) for this batch, so this is why I asked. The
siblings of this batch have all the same characteristics, and all other
owners (3 I know of) agree this is quite a good combination (we all have
mutual friendship with shelters manager so this is how we keep contact).
But...and it's a big but...will the same combo work again to produce with
*best of both worlds* puppies? I am no expert, in fact do any exist that
will wager the turnout?
After all...this is how the Snoodle got started, right? ;)

"KrisHur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I would leave breeding up to the experts.
>

> "Lit fuse" <Run@way.net> wrote in message
> > Hi folks...got a question anda story.
> >
> > I have a collie beagle mix dog that I rescued from the shelter. I've had
> her
> > 4 yrs, and she is 5 yrs old now, and seems to have all the top
qualities
> of
> > both breeds (collie/beagle). Only problem is she sheds BIG TIME because
> of
> > collie blood, but runs like a beagle!
> >
> > My question is can I expect the same temperment/ features and attributes
> if
> > I should ever try to breed both types again?

Diana
2003-11-06 05:16:51 EST

"Lit fuse" <Run@way.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks...got a question anda story.
>
> I have a collie beagle mix dog that I rescued from the shelter. I've had
her
[..]

> My question is can I expect the same temperment/ features and attributes
if
> I should ever try to breed both types again?

I am sure she is wonderful but please think carefully before you breed from
her or to try and 're-create' another pup like her cos by all accounts there
are an awful lot of dogs being put down in shelters in th USA due to the
fact that there are more dogs than people who can offer homes to them.

You said you adopted her from the shelter ~ so obviously she escaped that
fate, but you cannot say the same for her littermates and I am sure you'd
hate to see any pups who's lives you were responsible for creating suffer
that fate.

However, figuring this is more of a hypothetical question... basically, the
answer is no, just as the 'snoodle' is a hit and miss breed mix, you cannot
be sure which side of the parentage the pups will favour ~ you may have one
pup that looks very much the pedigree collie that has all the
characteristics of the beagle and a stunning pedigree (looking) beagle that
has all the characteristics of a collie. That's not particularly good for
the dog or the owner as the chances of the person owning the dog expecting
it to have the breed characteristics the dog 'looks' like it should have
rather than the ones that it has are high and so finding the right home for
the dog will be that much harder.

Diana

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-07 14:53:57 EST
Excessive shedding is a symptom of anxiety.

"Lit fuse" <Run@way.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks...got a question anda story.
>
> I have a collie beagle mix dog that I rescued from the shelter.
I've had her
> 4 yrs, and she is 5 yrs old now, and seems to have all the top
qualities of
> both breeds (collie/beagle). Only problem is she sheds BIG TIME
because of
> collie blood, but runs like a beagle!
>
> My question is can I expect the same temperment/ features and
attributes if
> I should ever try to breed both types again?

Lit Fuse
2003-11-07 17:27:14 EST
Yes! She is a very submissive acting thing since day 1, but no reason to be
now. Our empty nest home is peaceful and she is emotionally and physically
loved a lot. Would her first year of life be so imprinted that she is
always gonna be a "ground hugger?"

"The Puppy Wizard" <ThePuppyWizard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Excessive shedding is a symptom of anxiety.
>

> "Lit fuse" <Run@way.net> wrote in message
> > Hi folks...got a question anda story.
> >
> > I have a collie beagle mix dog that I rescued from the shelter.
> I've had her
> > 4 yrs, and she is 5 yrs old now, and seems to have all the top
> qualities of
> > both breeds (collie/beagle). Only problem is she sheds BIG TIME
> because of
> > collie blood, but runs like a beagle!
> >
> > My question is can I expect the same temperment/ features and
> attributes if
> > I should ever try to breed both types again?

The Puppy Wizard
2003-11-08 18:24:53 EST
HOWEDY Lit Fuse,

> Yes! She is a very submissive acting thing since day 1,

There are effective conditioning techniques taught in
your FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method
Manual that will decondition submissive behaviors
nearly instantly.

> but no reason to be now.

Fear is unreasonable anyHOWE, ain't it.

That's HOWE COME HOWER dog lover do what they
do to their dogs an try to get HOWET callin THAT, training.

> Our empty nest home is peaceful and she is emotionally
> and physically loved a lot.

Good.

> Would her first year of life be so imprinted that she is
> always gonna be a "ground hugger?"

No. You can learn HOWE to condition her responses
to her fears and extinguish them. Soon she'll have no
choice but to accept her stressors and not fear them.

That's HOWE COME crating a dog REINFORCES fears.
They hide from their stressors in the crate and their mind
gets carried away worryin abHOWET whatever is goin on.

THAT'S HOWE COME we must NEVER tell the dog
"NO!" or otherWIZE confront scold punish bribe force
intimidate or have any negative interaction with HOWER
dogs.