Dog Discussion: PetSmart Pet Hotels

PetSmart Pet Hotels

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Diddy
2007-08-22 12:39:09 EST
RGB <asd071907@Use.Organization> spoke these words of wisdom in
news:4sZyi.104782$Bo7.29878@fe07.news.easynews.com:

>> The only problems I have with Petsmart is their training programs.
>
> What do you mean?

The analogy often repeated here is Petsmart is to dog training to wit
Macdonald's is to a Chef.

it's so true.

They do not offer advanced training. They lock into a particular style of
training, and absolutely will not waiver, even if it's not working.

Although the type of training offered is good in theory, and in short
term, is often dramatic, it does not allow for dogs for whom it doesn't
work, and the owner leaves feeling a failure, rather than having the
ability to adapt and change tools with the individual dog.
Eventually an animal on that type of training WILL challenge it, or decide
it's not interesting, and of course, Petsmart did not offer a backup on
what to do when their style of training fails.

Petsmart hires off the street "no experience necessary"

They train in the center of the store in a postage stamp that does not
offer a real chance for the dogs to move.

Lynne
2007-08-22 13:23:19 EST
on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:18:58 GMT, RGB <asd071907@Use.Organization> wrote:

> Anyone have experience with these? I need a good place to board my dog
> in the SF Bay Area for a few days.
>
> http://www.petsmart.com/petshotel

I used to board my mutt, Roxy at the local Petsmart Petshotel when I
traveled a lot for my job. I preferred it to the vet's office because they
also offer doggie daycare, which Roxy really enjoys. I paid extra for that
every day and would sometimes just take her for daycare if I was going to
have a long work day. She loves playing with other dogs, though, so if
your dog doesn't, I'd think twice.

Their kennels are spacious and clean and the staff at my local facility
were very engaging with the dogs. I always got detailed notes when she
stayed there, really cute stuff, too, about silly things she did. Whenever
I called to check on her, the person assigned to care for her would talk
with me anytime.

I would think that each locality differs WRT staff quality, and I'd suggest
that you go visit, talk to them and observe. They have video cameras on
all the kennel areas and the daycare area is fully viewable at ours.

BTW, Roxy loved the place. As soon as we pulled up and she realized we
were going back to the Hotel/Daycare, she wouldn't have cared if I was hit
by a bus.

--
Lynne

photos of my pets:
http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

Lynne
2007-08-22 13:25:24 EST
on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:34:05 GMT, shore@panix.com (Melinda Shore) wrote:

> A problem with Petsmart is that they're a chain, and while
> it may bring a uniformity to their product line it can't
> also bring a uniformity to their services, even though they
> might all be working out of the same manuals. They're
> pretty much at the mercy of whatever teenagers and Leahs
> need a job in that particular location. It seems to me that
> some are probably fine and some are probably awful.

Haha I have a friend named Leah who used to hop part-time jobs!

I'm guessing you are spot on.

--
Lynne

photos of my pets:
http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

Lynne
2007-08-22 13:32:12 EST
on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:29:05 GMT, RGB <asd071907@Use.Organization> wrote:

> Oh. That certainly isn't encouraging. Hopefully I'll be able to get a
> sense by visiting if the local place is anything like that.

One of the reasons for the urine smell may have been the doggie daycare
area, if that dog went to daycare, that is. Even though it is indoors,
they create an area to look and smell like the outdoors and they allow dogs
to eliminate there. The staff tries to clean it up right away, but I've
seen a few dogs go slipping and sliding through puddles of pee. That does
kind of suck, but it's a trade-off I suppose. Roxy somehow managed to
avoid the game of piss-and-slide during all of her many visits.

--
Lynne

photos of my pets:
http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

Rocky
2007-08-22 15:32:14 EST
RGB <asd071907@Use.Organization> said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

> Hopefully I'll be able to get a
> sense by visiting if the local place is anything like that.

Do a lot of asking around. All of my dog daycare business is by
word of mouth, I do no advertising. The same is true of the
kenneling operation a friend of mine operates.

The majority of my new clients come via existing clients, then
through local vets, and then through local mom'n'pop pet supply
shops.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

RGB
2007-08-22 17:45:01 EST
In article <Xns99948830DA34EHDocumentsandSetting@216.196.97.142>,
Lynne <unmonitored.email@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to board my mutt, Roxy at the local Petsmart Petshotel when I
> traveled a lot for my job. I preferred it to the vet's office because they
> also offer doggie daycare, which Roxy really enjoys. I paid extra for that
> every day and would sometimes just take her for daycare if I was going to
> have a long work day. She loves playing with other dogs, though, so if
> your dog doesn't, I'd think twice.
>
> Their kennels are spacious and clean and the staff at my local facility
> were very engaging with the dogs. I always got detailed notes when she
> stayed there, really cute stuff, too, about silly things she did. Whenever
> I called to check on her, the person assigned to care for her would talk
> with me anytime.
>
> I would think that each locality differs WRT staff quality, and I'd suggest
> that you go visit, talk to them and observe. They have video cameras on
> all the kennel areas and the daycare area is fully viewable at ours.
>
> BTW, Roxy loved the place. As soon as we pulled up and she realized we
> were going back to the Hotel/Daycare, she wouldn't have cared if I was hit
> by a bus.

Thanks, this helps. The Bay Area is very dog-intense, so there's a good
chance this place will be accustomed to being held to high standards.

The in-room television seems kinda stupid, though. =8^)

Mark

Janet Boss
2007-08-22 17:56:58 EST
In article <x72zi.48472$HL1.39306@fe05.news.easynews.com>,
RGB <asd071907@Use.Organization> wrote:

> The in-room television seems kinda stupid, though. =8^)
>
> Mark

Not for dogs who are used to having a tv on at home. Familiar sounds
can be very good things. Hopefully, they allow the owner to choose the
programs, lest the dogs be exposed to bad tv. My dogs are fans of HGTV
(I keep leaving it on, hoping they'll get the hint and paint some rooms,
but they never seem to take the hint - they only decorate with muddy
pawprints)!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Lynne
2007-08-22 18:37:00 EST
on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:56:58 GMT, Janet Boss
<*t@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote:

> Not for dogs who are used to having a tv on at home. Familiar sounds
> can be very good things. Hopefully, they allow the owner to choose the
> programs, lest the dogs be exposed to bad tv. My dogs are fans of HGTV
> (I keep leaving it on, hoping they'll get the hint and paint some rooms,
> but they never s

The worst part is when they start bugging you for all the crap advertised
in the commercials! (Which is why I prefer DVDs, heh.)

--
Lynne

photos of my pets:
http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it

RGB
2007-08-22 23:18:13 EST
In article <janet-18AC40.17565822082007@news.individual.net>,
Janet Boss <janet@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote:

> > The in-room television seems kinda stupid, though. =8^)
>
> Not for dogs who are used to having a tv on at home. Familiar sounds
> can be very good things.

Ah, OK, good point. But they call it "pet-themed entertainment", which
suggests that your puppy will actually be lying there watching the
show. And, for all you know, racking up an additional $50 a day pulling
up "mature pet" material, with, you know, ads for low cal food and
stuff like that.

Mark
Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)