Dog Discussion: Very Needy For Attention

Very Needy For Attention

Melissa
2007-05-31 14:25:07 EST
Hi all,

I need some advice. I have had Penny for about a year now. I rescued
her from the shelter; she was a stray that wandered onto a farm, had a
litter of puppies at some point and was shortly after brought to the
shelter, she was spayed at the shelter before I adopted her. She's a
little over 2 years old and is a golden retreiver mix. She's very
sweet and follows me everywhere, very eager to learn and please. The
problem is that she's a little too eager and needy, especially if I
have company over.
I allow her to sit on the sofa with me and usually she sits peacefully
on one side or with her head in my lap, but if someone is visiting she
tries to sit in my lap and block me from the other person. She gets
very excitable and hyper when I have visitors to the point where she
gets really obnoxious and tries to get in their lap and get their
attention. She responds when I tell her to stop and 'back up' but
shortly resumes her pushy/needy behavior.
If I sit on the floor she gets very excited and gets right in my face
and pushes herself into me trying to sit in my lap.
She has never exhibited any aggressive behavior, she's always very
happy, great with kids and other dogs. She is crate trained b/c she
will tear things up if I leave her out on her own when I'm gone, she's
very content in her crate and often lays in it on her own. I don't
want to leave her in the crate when I have company over b/c I don't
want her to think of her crate as punishment. She does not want to be
separated from me, if I shut her out of the room I'm in she whines and
barks at the door.
She means well and just wants to be loved, but its getting out of hand
and its embarrassing when I have people over.
She gets lots of exercise and fetch sessions, no amount of exercise
seems to fix the behavior. Any advice as to how I can fix this?

Janet Boss
2007-05-31 14:36:18 EST
In article <1180635907.439492.102910@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Melissa <melorenzen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any advice as to how I can fix this?

Teach her to settle on a dog bed. There are a variety of ways to teach
this, including tethers, food reward, etc. I teach and exercise called
the "sit on it" which progress over a course of time. Starting out, the
dog is on leash, owner sitting on it in a chair, ignoring dog and
correcting any physical attempts for attention (pawing, nudging,
climbing). It's important that the correction is short and sweet and go
back to ignoring the dog. I have students do this for 30 minutes,
5x/week. We progress to a dropped leash, then 3' away, then 6' away
(introducing the dog bed at any stage) and then to wherever you want the
dog bed to be. This is a useful exercise for visits to the vet or
such as well!

When you work up to her being at a distance, a small food reward placed
or tossed onto her bed, can be a nice reward for some dogs, but not
really essential and can be too distracting for others.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Suja
2007-05-31 14:49:15 EST

"Melissa" <melorenzen@gmail.com> wrote in message:
> The
> problem is that she's a little too eager and needy, especially if I
> have company over.

Sit-stay, down-stay, Go to bed, settle, whatever obedience command she knows
that will achieve the same results. If she doesn't already know one or more
of these, it's time to teach them, and if she does know one or more of
these, but chooses not to listen under specific circumstances, it is time to
proof them.

Suja

H*@HotMail.Com
2007-05-31 19:22:10 EST
HOWEDY Melissa,

On May 31, 2:25 pm, Melissa <meloren...@gmail.com> wrote:

WELCOME to The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard's
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog, Child, Kat, Goat, Ferett And Horse
Training Method Manual Forums And Human And Animal Behavior
Forensic Sciences Research Laboratory <{); ~ ) >

I'm Jerry Howe, The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard <{) ; ~ ) >

Here's your own FREE COPY of The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin
Insanely Simply Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And
Horsey Wizard's

The *666* Edition Of Your Own
FREE COPY
Of
The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply Amazing
GRAND
Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard's
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog, Child, Kat And Horsey Training Method Manual<{) ; ~ )

<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } >http://makeashorterlink.com/?K3AD21A3D < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } > < { ~ :{@}>
<{#}: ~ } >8< { ~ :{@}>

> Hi all,

No, not "Hi all," Melissa. You mean 'HOWEDY Gang Of Pathetic
Miserable Stinkin Lyin Animal Murderin Punk Thug Coward Active
Accute Chronic Life Long Incurable Malignant MENTAL CASES And
Professional Dog Trainin FRAUDS And SCAM ARTISTS Who HURT
INTIMIDATE MUTILATE And MURDER Innocent Defenseless Dumb
Critters An LIE abHOWET IT," Melissa <{}: ~ ( >

> I need some advice.

You're askin LYIN ANIMAL MURDERIN MENTAL CASES for
"advice" THEY AIN'T GOT, Melissa. ALL they know is HOWE
to HURT BRIBE CRATE SHOCK AVOID and INTIMDIATE
innocent defenseless dumb critters an LIE abHOWET IT <{}: ~ ( >

Have you NOT been reading HOWER friendly forum lookin for informaton?
There AIN'T a single poster here abHOWETS who AIN'T GOT a VERY LONG
POSTED CASE HISTORY of HURTIN INTMIDATIN an MURDERIN inocent
defenseless dumb critters an LYIN abHOWET IT.

If any of these maggots COMPLAIN otherWIZE, I'll simply CITE their
own POSTED CASE HISTORIES an CHOKE 'EM with it <{}: ~ ( >

> I have had Penny for about a year now. I rescued her from
> the shelter; she was a stray that wandered onto a farm, had
> a litter of puppies at some point and was shortly after brought
> to the shelter, she was spayed at the shelter before I adopted
> her.

Surgical sexual mutilation INCREASES fear and anXXXIHOWESNESS
and causes life long heelth and temperament problems and PROFITS
NO WON but the Spay / Neuter Nazi Party and the shelter / rescue SCAM
ARTISTS who take in *(for a wee bit of money) and SELL the dog to
another dog lover for a WEE BIT MORE MONEY and their veterinary
malpracticioners who GET PAID to mutilate and THEN treat their
victim's
life long heelth and temperament stress induced auto-immune DIS-EASES
CAUSED BY their unnecessary, inapupriate surgical sexual mutilation
malpractices <{}: ~ ( >

> She's a little over 2 years old and is a golden retreiver mix.
> She's very sweet and follows me everywhere, very eager to learn
> and please.

Ain't they ALL?:

A DOG Is A DOG;
As A KAT Is A KAT;
As A BIRDY Is A BIRDY;
As A HORSE Is A HORSE;
As A GOAT Is A GOAT;
As A Ferett Is A Ferett;
As A CHILD IS A CHILD;
As A SP-HOWES Is a SP-HOWES;
As A Mass Murderer Is A Mass Murderer.

ALL Critters Only Respond In
PREDICTABLE INNATE NORMAL NATURAL
INSTINCTIVE REFLEXIVE Ways;
To Situations And Circumstances Of Their Environment
Which We Create For Them.

You GET The Critter You TRAINED

In The Problem Animal Behavior BUSINESS
FAILURE MEANS DEATH.
SAME SAME SAME SAME,
For The Problem Child Behavior BUSINESS.

The Methods, Principles And Philosophy Of Behavior
Never Change,
Or They'd Not Be Scientific
And Could Not Obtain
Consistent, Reliable, Fast, Effective, Safe Results
For All Handler's And All Critters,
And ALL Behaviors
In ALL FIELDS And ALL UTILITIES,
ALL OVER The Whole Wild World,
NEARLY INSTANTLY,
As Taught In Your FREE Copy Of The Sincerely Incredibly
Freakin Insanely Simply Amazing
GRAND
Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey Wizard's
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE
WWW Wits'End Dog, Child, Kat, Goat, Ferett And Horse
Training Method Manual
<{} ; ~ ) >

> The problem is that she's a little too eager and
> needy, especially if I have company over.

No, the PROBLEM IS, she's HYPERACTIVE <{}: ~ ( >

> I allow her to sit on the sofa with me and usually she
> sits peacefully on one side or with her head in my lap,

Fine, if that's your preference <{)'; ~ ) >

> but if someone is visiting she tries to sit in my lap
> and block me from the other person. She gets very excitable
> and hyper when I have visitors to the point where she gets
> really obnoxious and tries to get in their lap and get their
> attention.

She just wants to say "HOWEDY!"

> She responds when I tell her to stop and 'back up'

Good.

> but shortly resumes her pushy/needy behavior.

Perhaps she doesn't understand HOWE COME
you asked her to stop or back up?

> If I sit on the floor she gets very excited
> and gets right in my face

That's normal. She thinks you're playin.

> and pushes herself into me trying to sit in my lap.

Good.

> She has never exhibited any aggressive behavior,

Good.

> she's always very happy,

As it should be. HOWEver, she won't be for long and neither
will you, if you follow the "ADVICE" of these pathetic malignant
animal murderin ignorameHOWESES <{}: ~ ( >

> great with kids and other dogs.

Of curse. ALL aggression is FEAR. ALL FEAR is
CAUSED BY MISHANDLING, not GENETICS or BREED.

> She is crate trained

That's QUEER, ain't it? There AIN'T NO TRAININ
gonna happen while locked in a box <{}: ~ ( >

Lockin dogs in boxes INCREASES anXXXIHOWESNESS
and CAUSES EXXXCESSIVE barking digging whining
spinning chewing fear of thunder self mutilation car sickness
separation anXXXIHOWESNESS, ALL obsessive compulsive
disorders, even seizures and chronic infections <{}: ~ ( >

> b/c she will tear things up if I leave
> her out on her own when I'm gone,

No, she tears things up while your gone on
accHOWENTA you lock her in a box and force
CON-TROLL of her normal natural innate
instinctive reflexive behaviors <{}: ~ ( >

Separation anXXXIHOWESNESS CAN BE CURED
NEARLY INSTANTLY simply by DOIN EVERY THING
EXXXACTLY PRECISELY OPPOSITE of HOWE the
Gang Of Pathetic Miserable Stinkin Lyin Animal Murderin
Punk Thug Coward Active Accute Chronic Life Long
Incurable Malignant MENTAL CASES PREFER.

From: Marilyn Rammell (marilynramm...@hotmail.com)
Subject: Re: Separation anxiety (?) help needed!
Date: 1999/10/13

Hi Steve,

Just want to second Jerry's method for dealing with this -
I've suggested it to quite a few clients now and it's worked
'every' time.

It sounds a little 'amusing' I agree, but it really works.

Two of the occasions it's worked have been when the
owners were almost at the point of giving up (one had
actually put their dog into kennels for a few days so
that they could re-decorate the demolition done by the dog).

They rang me while the dog was still in kennels and were
not yet decided whether to collect the dog or not.

The very first time they tried Jerry's method, it worked.

Best of luck,
Marilyn Rammell

===============

Subject: To Jerry

1 From: MarilynRammell
Date: Tues, Aug 3 1999 3:00 am
Email: "MarilynRammell" <marilynramm...@hotmail.com>
Groups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Hello Jerry,

A client of mine asked to say a 'big thank you' to you.
They have a 8 month spaniel that they were about to get
rid of.

In fact they had put her into kennels for a few day while
they 'thought it through'. They rang me the day before
they were due to collect her.

She had wrecked their home - everytime they left her she
destroyed something else. The walls, the cabinets, the
carpets, table legs, chair legs, - anything and everything.

They collected her and brought her to me. I gave them some
routine training exercises, and also I wrote out your advice
(I will say at this point that I was not sure about it at all,
and felt a little embarrassed - it was the advice about the
'toy dog that gets the praise for not making a mess'.

Anyway, this was 11 days ago and I heard nothing. Yesterday
they turned up at the new Monday evening class. They were
absolutely delighted.

They told me that after just one attempt, (your toy suggestion)
she 'stopped all the destruction'. They were in tear of happiness
while telling me.

Thank you Jerry.
Respectfully,
Marilyn

----------------

AND LIKE THIS:

"nesskay" <ness...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It has been a couple of months since we have initiated
Jerry Howe's recommendations for resolving the separation
anxiety in our chocolate lab. We have seen remarkable results.

She can now be left on our houseboat and we can return with
all of the wood trim and/or blinds intact. Before we spoke with
Jerry and started the training, we could not leave her without
her barking in a high pitch incessantly.

I had resorted to "building her a pen" with pieces of chair
railing, putting chairs in front of windows, and moving the
bed so that she could not get to the blind (again!). It would
take about 10-15 minutes of planning and moving things before
we could leave.

Even with that, she would find something to destroy. We NOW
use the surrogate toy method and can go out, shop, go to dinner
or whatever, without any problems.

She is glad to see us when we return, but no longer frantic.

I am so happy that this seems to be the norm now.

Another problem that we had with her was although she would
not destroy the house, she would leave us runny poop in several
places.(kind of the same as destroy I guess). I tried to blame
this on her diet, but realized that her anxiety level was so
high that she just had no control. Now, the only time that she
has done that is when she devoured a diaper from the trash!!!

Jerry's methods work. I found him by typing in separation
anxiety+orlando florida into Google, otherwise I don't want
to speculate what could have happened with Amelia.

We were at our Wit's End!!!!!! Thanks so much Jerry.

We have given your URL to everyone we know with a dog.
Your methods work. The others that we tried did not.

It is that simple!

Thank you, Thank you Thank you!

Nancy and Amelia

-------

AND LIKE THIS:

Date: 2001-11-14 09:13:21 PST
"Yves Dussault" <ydussa...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi!
> I have downloaded Wit's End Dog Training Method...
> In there there is that trick with a toy about "Separation
> anxiety surrogate toy technique."

> Anybody has tried that... I would like to give it
> a try with my GSP (German shorthair.....pointer)
> Comments? Yves Dussault

Yves,

I for one have tried it... in fact I use this all the time.
I just used it last evening while my husband and I went
out to see "The Mummy Returns" (a horrible turkey of a movie,
but at least the house wasn't chewed from end to end in the
meantime).

Yes, it really works. :-) So do the other distraction/
praise techniques described therein.

If you are interested in the manual, you will
probably want to begin the exercises as well.

Regards,
Lisa
-----------------

SEE?

> she's very content in her crate

No, she "colapses inward" when she's locked in a box
and her anXXXIHOWESNESS INCREASES as she HIDES
from her boogeymen <{}: ~ ( >

> and often lays in it on her own.

On accHOWENTA she DON'T FEEL SAFE, which
is HOWE COME she's so "clingy" <{}: ~ ( >

> I don't want to leave her in the crate when I have
> company over b/c I don't want her to think of her
> crate as punishment.

Yeah. THAT'S HOWE COME tara o. aka tee MURDERED her
RESCUE dog Summer. Took barely WON MONTH to make her
go from a gentle loving but hyperactive dog to a ragin aggressive
maniac, like her owner who singlehandedly MURDERED more
Boxer Rescue dogs than MOST Boxer breeders have ever owned.

> She does not want to be separated from me,

LUCKY THING we can EXXXTINGUISH separation
anXXXIHOWESNESS IN WON DAY <{}: ~ ) >

> if I shut her out of the room I'm in
> she whines and barks at the door.

LUCKY THING you can EXXXTINGUISH THAT in just
a few moments, if you know HOWE <{}: ~ ) >

> She means well

INDEEDY. Don't we all?

Well, Melissa, NO, WE DON'T "all mean well". The pathetic
miserable stinkin lyin animal murderin MENTAL CASES you're
askin for "ADVICE" will tell you THIS:

"Sharon" <askformya...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
news: 129umcv96eaev77@corp.supernews.com...

> At my wit's end, I found Jerry Howe's information on the
> Internet, contacted him and read his manual. At this point
> she is not cured, but by making a fuss over an inanimate
> object when I leave, I can see progress in the area of
> separation anxiety. I am using his manual to work on other
> aspects of her behavior. I just want to say thanks so much
> to Jerry for his manual, .....

Let me be the first:

<PLONK>

Fall in line, folks.

-----------------------

Thurs,Jun 16 2005 4:17 am
Subject: Re: Puppy Wizard - Report, Day Two

HOWEDY malinda,

Melinda Shore wrote:
> In article <robin4joy-49BEBF.23045015062.­....@news.west.cox.net>,
> Robin <robin4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [nothing of value]

"Success!" is what Robin wrote, malinda.

Robin wrote that she CURED her 12 year old dogs
separation anXXXIHOWESNESS NEARLY INSTANTLY
using her FREE COPY of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual <{);~ ) >

> jeebus but you're a selfish, inconsiderate dimwit.

That so? Didn't you want to know HOWE she done it, malinda?

> Plonk.

BWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHHH­AHAAAA!!!

> --
> Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis - s...@panix.com
> Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

Welcome to REALITY you miserable lying dog abusing mental case:

From: lucyaa...@claque.net
Date: 22 Jul 2005 13:13:04 -0700
Subject: Re: For Handsome Jack Morrison:
Collars - belated reply

?
> I do have a desire to have my dogs not raid the trash or
> counter surf, and guess what? They don't. Being dogs,
> however, they had to learn.

But you have no desire to train your dogs not to
ruin your bedroom in your absence, obviously.

http://www.employees.org/~shore/trashedbedroom2.jpg

It's what the trained dogs of our friend Melinda
have done, when left alone at home.

Lucy.

--------------

And here's yet a OTHER MENTAL CASE:

HOWEDY matty,

Rocky wrote:
> Robin said in rec.pets.dogs.health:
> > Jerry, you give the lying dog abusing punk thug coward
> > mental cases too much credit for the ability to influence

Naaah, The Amazing Puppy Wizard was just BAITING these lying
dog abusing punk thug coward mental cases again <{); ~ ) >

> You really are a piece of work.

INDEEDY, matty. Robin studied and followed the INSTRUCTIONS
in her FREE COPY of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's 100%
CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL FREE WWW Wits' End
Dog Training Method Manual and REPORTED her 100% NEARLY INSTANT
SUCCESS RIGHT HERE on The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW Wits'
End Dog Training Method Manual Forums And SCHOOL Of HARD KNOCKS
And HUMAN And ANIMAL BEHAVIOR RESEARCH LABORATORIES, matty <{); ~ ) >

You're settin in it <{); ~ ) >

> Keep this out of the health groups, 'kay?

Dogs DIE from separation anXXXIHOWESNESS, matty, JUST
LIKE HOWE your own DEATHLY ILL dog Rocky is DYIN from
STRESS INDUCED AUTO-IMMUNE DIS-EASE aka The Puppy
Wizard's SYNDROME, on accHOWENT of you're a lyin dog abusin
punk thug coward MENTAL CASE, matty, and you can't post here
abHOWETS nodoGgamenedMOORE <{); ~ ) >

> --
> --Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

---------------

You want a piece of THAT, Melissa?

> and just wants to be loved,

LikeWIZE <{}: ~ ) >

Don't we all? Well, NO, Melissa, we DON'T ALL want to be LOVED,
Melissa. Some of us WANT RESPECT instilled through PAIN FEAR
FORCE BRIBERY and INTIMIDATION on accHOWENTA THAT'S what
they been TAUGHT by HOWER doting parents and teachers <{): ~ ( >

THAT'S HOWE they satisfy their fragile defective ego's and compensate
for their weak fearful minds and colossal inferiority complexes <{}: ~
( >

> but its getting out of hand

As it always has been...

> and its embarrassing when I have people over.

NO PROBLEMO. Just study and follow the INSTRUCTIONS
PRECISELY and ASK ME if you need any additional FREE
HEELP <{}: ~ ) >

> She gets lots of exercise and fetch sessions,

That so?

> no amount of exercise seems to fix the behavior.

Of curse not. Dogs DO NOT NEED EXXXCESSIVE EXXXORCISE
to EXXXPIATE their HYPERACTIVE BEHAVIOR":

Sam Corson, Pavlov's Last Student Demonstrated At
UofOH, That Rehabilitation Of Hyperactive Dogs Can
Easily And Readily Be Done Using TLC. Tender Loving
Care Is At The Root Of The Scientific Management
Of Doggys. <{) ; ~ ) >

"...all the highest nervous activity, as it manifests
itself in the conditional reflex, consists of a continual
change of these three fundamental processes -- excitation,
inhibition and disinhibition," Ivan P. Pavlov

"Postitive emotions arising in connection
with the perfection of a skill, irrespective
of its pragmatic significance at a given
moment, serve as the reinforcement. IOW,
emotions, not outside rewards, are what
reinforces any behavior," Ivan Pavlov.

"All animals learn best through play." -- Konrad Lorenz

Despite Skinner's clear denunciation of "negative
reinforcement" (1958) NEARLY EVERY LEARNING
THEORY model involves the USE OF PUNISHMENT.
Of curse, Skinner has never to my knowledge,
demonstrated HOWE we escape the phenomenon
that an expected reward not received is experienced
as a punishment and can produce extensive and
persistent aggression (Azrin et al, 1966).

"The IMBECILITY of some of the claims for operant
technique simply take the breath away. Lovas et al
(1966) report a standard contingent reward/punishment
procedure developing imitative speech in two severly
disturbed non verbal schizophrenic boys. After twenty-
six days the boys are reported to have been learning
new words with alacrity. HOWEver, when REWARDS
were moved to a delayed contingency the behavior and
learning immediately deteriorated."

"Valette 1966 is a complete trivialization of
scientific findings. It overstates the case for
reinforcement theory. No careful researcher
would contend that operant techniques CAN ANY
THING MORE than modify SHORT TERM BEHAVIOR in
a highly controlled and limited environment
with a large number of skillful experimenters.

Certainly the most elaborate studies have shown
that the withdrawal or temprary inefficiency of
the reward system is immediately followed by
CESSATION of the programmed behavior.

In fortunate contrast to this depressing paper
is the research reported by Whelan (1966) who
makes the simple but profHOWEND caveat that "It
is only through CORRECT, EFFICIENT APPLICATION
(of operant principles) that children's behavor
can be changed to the extent that they can
subsequently contribute to the REAL WORLD in
which they live."

"It is NO WONDER that the marked changes in
deviant behavior of children can be achieved
through brief, simple educative routines with
their mothers which modify the mother's social
behaviors shaping the child (Whaler, 1966). Some
clinics have reported ELIMINATION ofthe need for
child THERAPY through changing the clinical emphasis
from clinical to parental HANDLING of the child
(Szrynski 1965).

A large number of cases improved sufficiently after
preliminary contact with parents that NO treatment
of children was required, and almost ALL cases
SHOWE a remarkably shortened period for therapy.
Quite severe cases of anorexia nervosa have been
treated in own to five months by simply REPLACING
the parents temporarily with EFFUSIVELY LOVING
SUBSTITUTES (Groen, 1966)."

Date: Wed, Nov 30 2005 3:30 pm
Email: "Deltones" <vibrov...@hotmail.com>

I've had my JR puppy for close to a month now (She's 3 mo),
and I want to say that I believe in Jerry Howe's method for
training my dog. I hate how he makes Webster cry with his
way of writing, and the fact he quotes every damn posts written
since the Big Bang in every replies he does.

A lot of you consider their dogs as a part of your family, but
I read so many posts about screaming, choking, shocking,
pinching, beating the living crap out of your dogs that I wonder
why some of you have them at all. Do you raise your kids that
way, or you raise them with kindness to the best of your abilities?

Yes, Jerry's online personnality totally sucks, and he would be
better served by having his Wit's End document speak for itself
and reply to people with the same kind of eloquence he shows
in his manual.

Unfortunately he doesn't, and as a result, the majority of people
here tuned him out. If you hate the messenger, don't disregard his
message, and do yourself the favor of downloading his manual and
read it at least once. Your dog deserves it.

Like previously stated, I have a 3 mo Jack Russell, and a lot
of people think these dogs become totally insane when left alone.

Mine has the full run of the house when I'm at work already.

Why?

Because she did go totally insane when I left her in her crate,
crapping on herself in the process. It was not fun.

I followed Jerry's advice and did the "Separation Anxiety"
method in the manual, and my house has not been destroyed.

Dog happier, house not destroyed?

That's all I needed to know.

If you're wondering, nope, she's not housebroken yet, and I
do come back with her business on the floor. Winter is starting
here in Montreal and she really hates going outside in the cold
(sorry Jerry, it's really not instinctive in her), so I know I will
have some difficulties with the housebreaking process.

Do I get frustrated to have to wash the floor every day?

Yeah I do, but I try my best not to show it to the dog. That's
the small price I decided to pay to have that small furball in
my life. I'm confident she'll get the hang of it, but I know that
it's not going to happen with kicking and screaming.

Tune out Jerry if you want if he doesn't make sense to you.
But give his Wit's End manual a good look, because when
he wrote it at that point in his life, he did.

------------

AND LIKE THIS:

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0...@yahoo.com):

I own a black an tan coonhound. We got him
as a puppy, and due to constant mishandling
(pulling on his lead, negative corrections, and
the occasional use of a bark collar) I ended
up with a very anxious dog.

I couldn't leave him home alone, I couldn't
crate him, I couldn't even take my dog for
walks because he feared EVERYTHING.

I was going to have to get rid of him if things
didn't turn around.

My husband and I searched the internet for
answers - AND WE FOUND THE PUPPY WIZARD.

For all of you disbeliveers out there HIS METHODS WORK!

I've followed his manual, and we now have a
dog that can be left home alone, that heels
on command, that can go outside and NOT
be afraid of everything he sees.

Not only have his methods helped our dog, but
our marriage has gotten better. We had fallen
into a rut - constant bickering and tension, we
never laughed or had FUN together - but now,
with the same mindset used in THE PUPPY
WIZARDS dog training, our communications
channels have opened, and we now work
together instead of against one another.

For all the "Literalists" out there, NO WE DID
NOT TEACH EACH OTHER TO SIT, STAY,
OR HEEL.

We simply eliminated the nagging and the acting out to get
NEGATIVE attention from one another since we weren't
getting the POSITIVE attention we wanted.

So, it's been proven - THE PUPPY WIZARDS METHODS WORK.

It's up to you to accept them. Yes, there's alot of blame that we
have to accept, but once we realize that we've caused these
problems to arise, we can strive to make things better.

AIMEE

--------------------------

From: AIMEE (countrygirl0...@yahoo.com)
Subject: House training and such...
Date: 2003-10-08 16:18:56 PST

I've been having a problem with my dog, Axel,
relieving himself in the house while I'm away
from home.

I've used TPW method's, and yesterday I was out
for 12 hours, and Axel didn't have one single "accident".

Today, I had hoped that the results would be just as
good - and they were (I was out for 11 hours).

The problem began when, as a puppy, Axel would
relieve himself in the house and I would point
at the mess and tell him "NO" or "Bad Dog".

That made him afraid to relieve himself in the
house or infront of me.

After I got TPW's training manual, I corrected my
mishandling of these instances.

When I came home to an "accident", I would simply
drop a can near the area and ask Axel "What's that?"
Then I would clean it up - with out showing him I was
the least bit upset about the mess, and when he looked
at the spot I would tell him "Good boy, you're a good dog".

This has been an ongoing problem, and thanks to the
Puppy Wizard, we've finally got it taken care of...

Also, Axel LOVES the cat's litter box...He enjoys the
"snacks" he can find in there...I followed TPW's methods
by alternating sounds and praising him while or before
he sticks his nose in it, and today, he's been going into
the room with the cat box and barking. That's because
he's thinking about getting into the box, but he knows he
shouldn't.

Thank you, Jerry, for all you help.

You've been a blessing to all of us.

AIMEE

-----------------------

Here's TWO pups HOWEsbroken since DAY WON
at 8 weeks and a couple other CASE HISTORIES:

From: Mike (m.bidd...@ns.sympatico.ca)
Subject: Re: Info. on the puppy wizard?
Date: 2004-07-15 12:28:54 PST

Alan,

The puppy wizard calls it as he sees it.

He isn't PC and that pisses people off.

The fact is that I have used his FREE
methods and they DO in fact work.

What a crock of shit relating his methods
to a science experiment.

Yes, the man is a cross posting menace
and has proly smoked too many batts in
his day but he has the canine species best
interest at heart and doesn't profit from his
point of view.

He is a selfless advocate for dogs and
that's enough for me to respect the man
no matter how controversial he gets.

Oh, and did I mention his methods work, ya nuff said.

Mike

From: Mike (m.bidd...@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: 2004-07-18 14:27:02 PST

> > Oh, and did I mention his methods work, ya nuff said.
> > Mike
>
> Ok Mike which part worked for you?

It helped clear problems from my dogs in the
field using the can penny distraction technique.
Works like a charm. My dogs get distracted easy
from their jobs ie, retrieving or training to find lost
people, oh did I mention that I am a Search and
Rescue Team Leader.

Sorry that slipped my mind.

I have read volumes of training books and don't
know where people get that Jerry copied others
work as I have NEVER come across his methods
before. I would like to see proof.

Just like Jerry outlined I eliminated problems one
at at time as they arose. I used to try and train to
the way I wanted them but this is backward, you
train out the problems leaving what you want left
over.

Funny part is the second dog who had the same
problems as the other didn't need correcting for
some of his habits after I cleared it from the first
dog. Seemed he learned through osmosis.

Nice side benefit there.

It nearly came to giving them up to a 3rd party
trainer as they were not performing well. The
VAST majority of working dog trainers are
agressive in their actions with the dogs.

I tried it and it didn't work and guess what?
I was at my "Whits End" then someone I
knew turned me onto Jerry and the rest is history.

I referred friends and families to Jerry's manual
and all have had great results. Starting puppies
out on the distraction technique is especially
good because they never develop the habit.

I had my sisters dog healing, sitting and down
stay reliably at 8-9 weeks.

The first night home following Jerrys advice
we ditched the crate and put the pup on the
floor beside the bed and after 2 whimpers
NOT A SOUND OUT OF THAT DOG FOR
6 HRS! first night, that has never happened
in all my days.

Sorry, the man understands dogs its that simple.

Mike

-----------------------

Date: Mon, Oct 3 2005 9:25 pm

Hi Jerry,
It is now 1:130 A.M. and I just finished reading your manual.
Of course I will need to read it many more times in order to
apply the techniques when I get a dog.

I found it even better than I thought it would be and I had
high expectations for it.

It is absolutely new , original, TOTALLY overdue for the world
to learn about to stop all the violence, fear and abuse. It is
interesting how they have us in a SPELL ( source peoples emotional
language legacy) and even with the best of intentions while doing
these awful techniques that feel violent and inside the heart
recoils from doing them, there is the little voice that say's
'But it is for the dog's good' and so I have to get tough and
not be a sissy and give in to the horror I am seeing in the dog
and feeling that in my moral compass this feels wrong, and yet
continue to betray myself and the dog because all the "experts"
who say they love dogs ALL agree that I must do this and what
do I know, they say they love dogs they are " love covered in
fur" as Uncle Matty say's. He loves dogs to say this so I must
be too soft hearted to recoil from what obviously is my duty
toward the dog.

You really broke the spell for me.

It is ground breaking work and I am exited to absorb it as in
the first reading there are so many oh wow moments that the
exercises need to be studied at another time as the impact of
the first reading makes it so mind altering that the emotional
response of FINALLY SOME SANITY is so strong that the
details of 'the how' to needs for me to be studied later many
times to internalize it so it is done correctly.

Thank you for the amazing manual.
Go jolly,

--------------------------

Date: Sat, Aug 19 2006 2:06 am

Blue is doing fantastic. Thanks to his wonderful personality,
genetics and Jerry's help. I speak with Jerry a couple of times
a week about his progress and fine tuning his training. Blue
sits, heels, is totally toilet trained, comes, knows 'down',
stay and all kinds of things like 'lets go for a walk'.

He is pure joy and has made my heart glad and full of puppy
love. He loves walking in the forest trails and swimming in
the cool and refreshing lake. His 'daddy' takes him for his
final walk every evening at 7 P.M. Then it is off to bed. He
sleeps till 7 A.M.

It is nice to be able to sleep all night without getting up
for a pee pee a few times with him. In the first few weeks I
had to take him out at night, but now he is able to sleep all
night. He is like a tranquilizer.

I keep asking Jerry if Blue is a genius, as he is so clever
and obedient.

He tells me this is the nature of a dog that has not been abused.

Blue is super good looking and so smart. He learned to sit weeks ago.
When he needs to go outside to relieve himself, he lets me know by
going to the door and woofing. One thing that I have noticed using
Jerry's methods is that Blue is very calm.

Most dogs are hyper and chew furniture and have bad habits. Blue
only plays with his toys. He knows the difference between his toys
and furniture and does not nip.

I was surprised that he does not want to go on the furniture. He likes
to play on the floor and outside. We sit outside together and he sits
by where I am reading. He may chew a toy or just hang out in the
shade. The whole town loves him and people are impressed with his
manners.

Show Dog Bark

--------------------

BlueMoon wrote:

Hello MOCrab (aka blackvomit) aka jim tindale,

Well, I'd take your advice and go thru the killfile as you have
recommended below, but Jerry's system Is WORKING wonders
with these two puppies in a matter of days. He may be abusive
and short-tempered with some people out there because, quite
frankly, I think he cares more about the dogs that the owner's
feelings and feels so strongly about it, it's aggravating to have
"experts" discount his methods.

My husband just got back from taking these 15 week old pups
for a walk, who now respond remarkably well to the "Zena-Zoey-
sit-good-girl!" phrase now when only said once no matter where
they are.

They also respond to the come here command. We trained them
(granted, out of order of the instructions) with the pennies
in the cans only two days ago to come to us when called.

I've since backtracked to do the exercises in the proper order.

They are calm and well-behaved and impress the Hell out of
anyone who sees them. "You're kidding, they're only 14 weeks
old and they are THAT well behaved?"

Yessiree Bob, they are, and we've only had them for 12
days and have been training them (correctly for 3 days.

We still have more training exercises to do, but why fix something
if it's not broken???? These dogs are happy, we don't have to yell
at or scold them, they are learning to be secure and to pay attention
to us for approval and not out of fear.

I can only assume some might be threatened by this manual's
methods because it goes against all human logic on how to train
a dog. It certainly didn't make any sense to me, but I thought what
the heck, try it (even tho I still have to remind myself what to do
because my previous limited experiences with dog training were
SO DIFFERENT to the point that I almost felt like I needed to take
my brain out of my head and put it back in backwards!!!.....).....

BUT THE SYSTEM WORKS!!!

How in the world could someone just "make
something up" and it WORK?>??>?

My husband was very doubtful about this method when I
told him I wanted to try this. His dad was a vet, and certainly
didn't use these methods with the parade of dogs they had as
kids. But now even HE has to admit we're doing something
right here, as our stress and frustration levels have lowered
and EVERYONE is much happier around here, especially t
he dogs!

I really don't think people are used to the notion that you can
train a dog and it NOT be stressful or difficult. It's easy IF you
do it just like the manual says. It might be easier for some to
NOT do it now and go with the concept of control rather than
respect and understanding, because that's the way WE are used
to thinking and heaven forbid WE change OUR way of thinking
and admit we've done some counterproductive things in the past, right?

The results I'm seeing here with these puppies speaks volumes and
discounts what anyone tells me otherwise. This Wit's End manual
is now in a binder and we're sticking with it.

BlueMoon

------------------------

7 From: Paul B
Date: Wed, Dec 7 2005 6:02 am
Email: Paul B <u...@example.com>

Deltones wrote:
> I've had my JR puppy for close to a month now
> (She's 3 mo), and I want

Reading through all the replies to your post everyone misses
the key point and I think even you haven't picked up on it yet Denis.

The WEDTM trains the dog such that it "wants" to do what
you ask it. It actually desires to walk by your side (to heel)
or whatever else you ask, it enjoys the interactions between
you and it that's why a choke, prong, shock, halite, harness
or martingale collar is not required, the dog will perform the
same with or without a lead.

So I fail to comprehend the comments or arguments that this
collar or that collar is ok, as far as I'm concerned a collar meets
the authorities legal requirement that a dog must be leashed in
certain public places not as a source of control, therefore a loose
fitting standard collar is fine after all it's only for show not
control.

As far as training the dog, a loose fitting standard collar is fine
because the WEDT uses communication as the training tool,
combined with a regimented training regime that ensures the
dog has succeeded in each stage of training before progressing.

As far as the arguments or comments dogs can be scared
of sound distractions, I've never had a problem, a sound
distraction can be a small stone thrown on the pavement,
a shake can, the crack of a leash or the snap of your fingers
as long as it's varied and you follow with praise there's never
a problem, also it's not just sound, any distraction is fine, I've
used a cloth as a visual distraction which is every bit as effective
as a sound provided you follow through with praise.

I've read a lot of criticisms of the WEDT but it's always by
people who don't understand it so the criticism is invalid as
you can't criticise what you don't (or in some cases refuse to)
understand.

One last comment, if someone was to research dog training,
find the best techniques and methods for achieving certain
criteria from all the different sources available and eventually
create a training technique based on all this research, don't
you think it would hold some validity, combining what they
had experienced through years of trial and error to finally
achieve a method that gave the most effective results.

I would have thought someone with that ability and experience
to be one smart cookie, someone worth listening to. But it seems
others disagree.

All the techniques and methods suggested on this newsgroup
are someone else's idea, it's how they are pieced together that
creates the method so everyone is guilty of using someone
else's idea like it or not.

Paul

-----------------------------

Paul B <pand...@zfree.co.nz> wrote in message

> > > "James Roberts" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
> > I have downloaded and have read Jerry's
> > Wit's End document. Ignoring what you
> > think of his participation, what is your
> > assessment of the merits of his techniques?

Hello James,

I have used his recommended techniques and
ideas with greatsuccess, and over the period
I've used these methods the more I've become
to understand and appreciate how his methods
work and how effective they can be if carried
out correctly.

His manual isn't conventional and as such
gets critisized and misunderstood. The basic
concept is to allow the dog to choose whatever
behaviour it wants for any situation but to
distract (and immediately praise ) it from
behaviours we deem undesirable, because of
the correctly timed distractions repeated
usually about 4 times (in each location) the
dog decides of it own accord that this behaviour
is undesriable and therefore pursues something
else, if that behaviour is also inappropriate
to us then we carry on distracting, very soon
the dog finds a behaviour that is mutually acceptable.

The benefits of this type of approach are
numerous, Firstly we aren't challenging
the dog so there is no conflict so the dog
does't develop any possible negativity to
us, the dog decides of it own free will that
a behaviour is unsatisfying so chooses to
cease it (in other words even if we are gone
the dog won't have any desire to pursue that
behaviour i.e. bin raiding etc).

I would recommend his manual.

Paul

---------------

"I Am Willing To Take Jerry's Theory On
How Dogs Think As A Likely One, Simply
Because The Dog Training Methodology
He Describes (Based On His Suppositions)
Works So Well," Lisa B.

Here's professor of ANAL-ytic behaviorISM research at
UofWI, marshall "SCRUFF SHAKE and SCREAM "NO!" into ITS
face for five seconds and lock IT in a box for ten minutes
contemplation," dermer PRYOR to gettin JERRYIZED:

Subject: Jerry's Dog Training Manual

From: Marshall Dermer (der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Re: Jerry's Dog Training Manual
Date: 2001-07-10 13:34:38 PST

In article <HRI27.3908$187.184...@news-re­p.ab.videon.ca>

"Jenn" <d...@try.it> writes:
> Hi Lynn,
> I used to have a barking problem with my
> German Shepherd Dog a couple of years ago.
> I tried several things recommended to me by
> different trainers, and nothing was working.
> When I read that section of Jerry's Manual,
> I thought the same way you did.

> "What???? PRAISE her for barking?" It sounded
> counterproductive, but I had tried everything else
> I'd heard so I thought I'd try it too.

> Next time she went nuts at a person walking by
> outside, I told her, "Good job! Good girl! You are
> such a good protector!" And instead of continuing
> the barking, she came to me for a belly rub! She
> will still bark (she's a guard dog, that's her job),
> but after one bark, she knows she's done her job
> to warn me by my praise, and she stops.
> Jenn,

Could you be so kind as to post here the
section from Jerry's manual where he
writes that you should JUST praise the
dog when it barks?????????

As I recall, I thought he first advocates
distracting the dog from barking, with
keys or the soft sound of pennies in a
can, before praising.

Perhaps you can tutor me regarding
Jerry's system.

Thanks in advance!

--Marshall Dermer

PS: I don't read Jerry's posts but I look
forward to your post.

------------------

From: Marshall Dermer (der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Re: Clicker training "stay"
Date: 2001-06-21 20:25:38 PST

In article <iqtY6.5456$rA2.1119...@news-rep.ab.videon.ca>

"Jenn" <d...@try.it> writes:
> Hi, DogStar716, sorry you feel this way about
> me. I hope I can change your mind in the future,
> as I love reading your posts, and value (and
> have used) some of your advice.

BWWWWWEEEJAJAJAJAJAJAAAAA!!!

> As for my post to Jer, I am just attempting
> to get a plain answer about something instead
> of a trash- fest. I just want to know if it can be
> done.
> Jenn Standring

I'm not Jerry but sure you could use a clicker to
distract a dog but that is not the purpose of a clicker.

You can also use a teaspoon to cut steak but that
is not the purpose of teaspoon!

--Marshall

From: Marshall Dermer (der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Date: 2001-07-12 06:49:13 PST

And how do we know this aspect of his
advice is right?

Jerry is not God and his manual is not the Bible.
His advice could be subject to an empirical analysis.

(Also, it is best to killfile posts from the
few regulars here who are either ill-tempered,
ill-mannered, or just plain ill.­),

--Marshall

Marshall Lev Dermer/ Department of Psychology/ University of
Wisconsin-Milwaukee/ Milwaukee, WI 53201/ der...@uwm.edu
http://www.uwm.edu/~dermer
"Life is just too serious to be taken entirely seriousyl!"

Subject: Subject changed: JUMPING / MOUTHING On PEOPLE (Ninnyboy)

26 From: Marshall Dermer -
Date: Tues, Aug 14 2001 8:15 pm
Email: der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Marshall Dermer)

In article <2e501ccd.0108141341.7f18d...@posting.google.com>
m*.@yahoo.com (Matthew Burnside) writes:

Dear Matt:

Many have offered Jerry constructive advice but
Jerry has failed to profit from it.

My sincere advice is to filter out Jerry's posts.

--Marshall

PS: I have put "Ninnyboy" in the header for many of us filter
posts with this term. The term indicates that the post
is about Jerry.

I have read rpdb for about five years. Consequently, I urge
newbies to attend to the civil and rational posts of the rpdb
regulars from whom I have learned much. They include:
Ann (,Twzl, Sligo & Roy), Amy Dahl, Diane Blackman,
jdoee, Janet Boss, Susan Fraser, Avrama Gingold, Nancy
Holmes, Lynn Kosmakos, Bob Maida, MaryBeth, Ruth
Mays, Cindy Tittle Moore, Robin Nuttall, Denna Pace,
John Richardson, Sarah Sionnach, Ludwig Smith, Jane
Webb, and Terri Willis.

*(EVERY WON of them got VERY LONG POSTED CASE}
HISTORIES of INCURABLE MENTAL ILLNESS an HURTIN
INTIMIDATIN an MURDERIN INNOCENT DEFENSELESS
DUMB CRITTERS an LYIN abHOWET IT.)

Marshall Lev Dermer/Associate Professor/Behavior Analysis
Specialty/ Department of Psychology/University of
Wisconsin--Milwaukee/Milwaukee, WI 53201

d*.@uwm.edu http://www.uwm.edu/~dermer

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me. But if I am only for
myself, what am I?" _The Talmud_

YOU'RE FRAUDS, drs p. and dermer!

Either DEFEND your LIES, ABUSE And
Degrees or get the heel HOWETA THIS
BUSINESS.

LIKE THIS:

"Dan Moore" <mooret...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote in message
Tracy,

What worked for me, in just one storm,
was to praise the dog after each clap
of thunder, telling him he's a Good Dog!

This is an almost 13 year old Doberman, BTW.

The next time it thundered, he did not even
react at all--you could not tell it was the same
dog as before.

There was more thunder just the other day,
and same thing, nada, nothing, zilch, no
cowering, whimpering, trying to hide at all,
it was that simple.

I got this idea from Jerry Howe, who might seem
to be a "wild and crazy" character, but his non-
abusive way of handling dogs WORKS.

Wonderfully.

Praise.

It's that simple.

Juanita

-----------------------

AND LIKE THIS:

Chris Williams writes:

"The FREE Wits' End Dog Training Method manual
I do find valuable. Much of it I recognize as what
I've always done without thinking of it as "training".
New stuff, I've used. His anchoring technique erased
the last of Mac's fireworks trauma."

-----------

AND LIKE THIS:

"Estel J. Hines" <ejhi...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Until i read the Jerry method of Bark reductioon,
it went something like this with our 11 month old
puppy "Yoshi"

Yoshi: Bark, bark,

us: HUSH Youshi

Yoshi Bark, bark......................

us: Hush Youshi

Yoshi BARK, BARK, BARK, .................................

it stopped when Yoshi got tired barking

We decided to try the Jerry method:

Yoshi: BARK, BARK

US: GOOD Yoshi, Good Boy, who is it?

Yoshi Bark, Bark
US: It's ok, good boy Yoshi, We know them

Yosh without fail, now stops after we say that

I must say, it is so much more fun, when we
can praise him, to deal with things like this

Thanks Jerry

ps: We are just starting to go thru the Jerry
Papers, and learn how to live with our son
"Yoshi", whom we love very much.
--
Best Regards,

Estel J. Hines

------------------------

AND LIKE THIS:

"Brandy Kurtz" <KraftyKur...@wmconnect.com> wrote in message

Hello everyone! We have a 2 1/2 year old male

Well I just printed out the Amazing Puppy Wizard info,
so I haven't actually started to train yet.

Today a salesman knocked on the door, and Pokey was going
balisstic. I calmly go to the window to see who it is,
and off-handly say Good Boy, It's a stranger, Good Boy.

Pokey shut right up, gave me a quizical look, and came
and sat beside my feet!

OMG, I could not believe it!

I was totally floored, as this has been his
behavior since a pup. Just wanted to update,
and Pokey and I are hitting the sack...;)

Brandy

-----------------------

From: "BarbnBeau" <bdea...@cogeco.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:52:30 -0500
Re: Puppy Wizard's Website

Hi Buzzsaw

Not a Thing to lose ...But a Lot To Gain!!

I can only speak from my experience.. I have a 8 month
old miniature poodle, and although I had done some basic
training with him we had a few barking issues ..ugh

I am happy to tell you, I contacted Jerry at the email
addy I posted and he was so great! I wasn't following
the technique precisely but he helped me get back on track.

Beau is doing sooooo well it is really a thrill working
with him, and seeing the remarkable changes.

Now I can ask for "recall" (come) both on and off lead
and it is immediate!

the first time I ask.

Best of Luck to you,

Remember if you need help or explanation contact Jerry ..
he will be more than happy to help anyway he can.

Cheers
Barb

------------------

"Marshall Dermer" <der...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu>
From: Paul B (NOSPAMpand...@zfree.co.nz)
Date: 2001-07-12 00:13:28 PST

Hello Marshall,

The way I view it from my observation of how
my dogs react is that the distraction interrupts
the dogs thought, not for good or bad, just
interrupts, the dog is therefore distracted for
a second and then will either continue the
behaviour or do something else.

The praise reassures the dog that the sound
distraction is not a threat or punishment,
however if everytime the dog resumes a
particular behaviour it's distracted immediately
(and praised immediately for reassurance) then
it quickly decides this behaviour is not fulfilling
and it ceases.

A dog will offer another behaviour in it's place
and if that is acceptable to us then we let it be
otherwise the distraction continues until a suitable
alternate behaviour is offered.

One example, Sam used to jump up on me
when I arrived home, I would shake can to
distract him right at the moment he was
about to jump up, after about 4 repetitions
he tried sitting and offering me his paw, of
course this was fine so I let it be.

While the concept of shake cans is not new,
I haven't read any other advice that says to
praise immediately regardless of what the
dog does next (the common advice is to
praise once the dog is doing a desired
behaviour or at least stopped the unwanted
behaviour), this is unique to Jerry (and Marilyn)
and from my own experiences is an important
part of the process.

> Thanks Paul! He does recommend praising
> a dog for barking, but he appears to recognize
> that this may not work and so distraction
> is recommended as a back up procedure:
> There really is NOTHING new about the advice above!

Nuthin EXXXCEPT HOWE IT'S DONE, professor SCRUFF SHAKE <{}: ~ ) >

From: "George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D." <drv...@mindspring.com>
To: "Jerry Howe" <theamazingpuppywiz...@mail.com>
Subject: Alleged Professors of Animal Behavior
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:50:51 -0400

Dear Jerry, I paged through some of the "dog business"
and was astonished at the low quality of opinions arising
from professors of behavior analysis.

I had the very great privilege of meeting Sam Corson
(Pavlov's last Ph.D. student) and his dogs at Ohio
University. I even got to spend a night at Sam's house.

There is no question but that you are a spiritual brother
to Corson and to Pavlov, both of whom knew that the dog's
great capacity for love was the key to shaping doggie behavior.

Paradoxical reward and paradoxical fixing of attention are
both well documented Pavlovian techniques. Even so humorless
a chap as B.F. Skinner taught students like the Breland's whose
"The Misbehavior of Organisms" demonstrate the utility of your
methods and their deep roots in scientific (as opposed to
commercial) psychology.

George von Hilsheimer, Ph.D., F.R.S.H.
you may find my resume in Who's Who in
Science and Technology

Here's professor marshall dermer, Department of
ANAL-ytic BehaviorISM at UofWI AFTER gettin JERRYIZED:

"We Are Lucky To Have You, And More People Should
Come To Their Senses And Support Your Valuable Work.
God Bless The Puppy Wizard," Professor Marshall Dermer,
Dept Of ANAL-ytic Behavior, UofWI.

Date: 4/11/07

"Janet Boss" <janet@bestfriendsdogobedience.com> wrote in message

It seems I have been dealing with this a bit lately. Dog to dog
and dog to person,, with dogs who are obviously overstimulated
by what's in front of them.

What's in front of them varies from people at the door
to dogs in their path or directly in their face. The dogs
in question all have very poor self control.

I have dog(s) with not-so-great-natural self control, so it's
something we constantly work on. We don't have redirected
stuff going on, because we have enough obedience to avoid it.

While I know that's the big answer for the dogs in question as
well, I'm curious what things people have found useful to redirect/
focus/gain attention from drivey dogs or just very distracted of over-
the-top dogs.

We're having success with my recommendations, but I'm
always open to something novel that may be the hot ticket.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

BWEEEAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

THAT'S quite a SUCCESS STORY, ain't it, janet?

Here's janet's PARTNER:

"The actual quote is misleading when taken out of context"

sinofabitch writes:
> > What I have said- repeatedly - is that he
> > took posts from two different people,
> > took pieces of them out of context,

Of curse. QUOTED. You wanna see it in context?

> > cobbled them together,

No. There was WON DIRECT QUOTE.

> > then added his own words:

"Neatly," and "Smartly."

> > and a fake signature.

"sinofabitch" instead of sionnach.

> > Which is exactly what he did.

INDEEDY. That's HOWE COME you deny it.

> > The actual quote is misleading

That so?

> > when taken out of context,

We'd been talkin abHOWET beatin the dog with a shoe...

> > and Jerry's faked "quote"

The WON sinofabitch totally DENIES.

> > is downright meaningless.

Only if you're a MENTAL CASE.

Here's Jerry's version

"I Dropped The Leash, Threw My
Right Arm Over The Lab's Shoulder,
Grabbed Her Opposite Foot With My
Left Hand, Rolled Her On Her Side,
Leaned On Her, Smartly Growled Into
Her Throat And Said "GRRRR!" And
Neatly Nipped Her Ear," sinofabitch.

Here's yours:

"I dropped the leash, threw my
right arm over the Lab's shoulder,
grabbed her opposite foot with my
left hand, rolled her on her side,
leaned on her, said "GRRRR!" and
nipped her ear.
--Sara Sionnach

"The actual quote is misleading when taken out of context"

See? "Birds of a feather. You're JUDGED BY the company
you keep. You're ONLY as good as your WORD. When you
GET BAGGED for LYIN, you're MARKED FOR LIFE," The
Puppy Wizard's DADDY <{}: ~ ( >

BWEEEAAAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Janet B wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:44:14 -0500, Janet B
> <j...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com>, clicked their heels and said:
> Since you quoted me repeatedly, where does it say I beat dogs, choke
> dogs, scream at dogs, etc? Thanks for your clarification.

responding to my own post, I had to go back and look at the original
post, to remind myself what "we" are all accused of doing:

"screaming, choking, shocking, pinching, beating
the living crap out of your dogs"

Scream? no

Choke? no

Shock? e-collars are a lot more sophisticated than that

Pinch? if you want to classify a momentary discomfort by a prong
collar, go ahead, but unless you have first hand experience with
one, your opinion means nothing

Beat the living crap out of? hardly - no hitting exists

----------------

Here's janet nearly murderin her own dog AGAIN:

From: J1Boss (j1b...@aol.com)
Subject: Re: housebreaking in a multi level home
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2002-06-27 03:30:11 PST

> From: Rocky
> Nessa wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:
>> why does Franklin have to be on a leash?
>
> I think that Franklin's been naughty.
>
>--
>--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

and apparently pretty sneaky too - can't figure this one out still!

FYI - He ingested a mystery sock.
Hadn't done that in well over a year.

When he was a puppy we were very lucky - they went
through or came up. We've done "sock work" with him
leaving them alone, but mostly are pretty conscientious
about not making them available.

The risk is obviously too high. One of his littermates
beat him to the punch with the same surgery, and his
great grandfather had this habit until he died at age 12.

My MIL was visiting (sockless!) and since he wasn't with
me every waking moment as usual as a result, I can only
imagine that the sock presented itself somehow while she
was with him.

He was a very, very sick dog. He had emergency surgery
on Monday, but was home by Tuesday - we lucked out that
the sock had advanced enough that they didn't need to
cut the bowel.

Once he was opened, they were able to manipulate the sock
out his rectum. He thinks he's fine, so the leash is very
necessary! He's got about a foot of staples on his tummy,
and this was a very expensive sock!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

--------------------------------

FRANKLIN and JANET, ACT II

From: J1Boss (j1b...@aol.com)
Subject: Re: What can I do if I can't afford a behaviorist?

Date: 2002-06-27 05:20:30 PST

> From: diddy d...@nospam.diddy.net
> Some dogs are really adept at getting out of things,
> even the impossible.

Yes indeed. I crated Franklin when I had to leave yesterday.
He's post surgical and needs to be confined and rest/kept safe.
He is used to crates, has not problem with them and does not
"escape" (mesh crates, wire crates, etc - he takes them all in
stride, whether strange places or at home).

When I got home, both dogs greeted me at the door. He had
managed to bend the clips on the end panel of his metal crate
(General Cage 204) and squeeze out the top/side of the end
panel that has the door. The door was securely closed.

THAT was NOT a good thing to do with a foot of staples
in your tummy. He hadn't done it before - but he's not his
usual self obviously.

We won't be trying that again any time soon!

From: lucyaa...@claque.net
Date: Sun, Dec 4 2005 3:26 am
Email: lucyaa...@claque.net

Janet B wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2005 10:55:42 -0800, "sighthounds & siberians"
> <greyho...@ncweb.com>, clicked their heels and said:
>
> > Oh, please. You're asking Lucy to understand that a
> > behavior can be genetic in a dog, which IMO is asking
> > a great deal.

Yeah, what do I know about genetically determined behavior?
At some point in the evolution of Franklin's breed a mutation
occurred that determined a propensity for sock-swallowing; and,
considering the fact that this acquired behavior conferred such
an evolutionary advantage to the breed, natural selection favored
it all the time until it was passed on to Franklin's parents and
grandparents, and hopefully to Franklin's offspring, so that such
a valuable trait wouldn't, God forbid, be lost due to some other
random mutation quirk. Nice how genetics work, in Sally's world!

> >It's ironic that Lucy (whose tone from the get-go is much more
> >sarcastic and confrontational than would seem warranted) should
> >reappear just now, isn't it?

"Ironic?" About as ironic as any random event, and as
probable as a dog being born with a taste for socks.

> > Mustang Sally

> oh I know, and I fed the troll.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, good-hearted Janet!
I was STARVING! But - can you tell me what exactly is
it that makes me a troll, when posting on topic on a
dog behavior matter?

> Even they need treats once in awhile, no? OK - maybe not!
> The holiday spirit must have gotten the better of me.

Yes, Janet, you're way too good. Don't let it become a habit,
though - you might find it difficult next time when having to
use your pretty choke collar on a dog.

Lucy

-------------------------

Here's WON of janet's REAL LIFE IN PERSON "students":

Subject: First Class was tonite

1 From: Nessa
Date: Tues, Jun 11 2002 8:32 pm
Email: Nessa <use...@nessa.info>

Tonite I started Janet's obedience class. It's like NIGHT
and DAY from the class Bagel 'flunked'. I was amazed at
the difference and I am very glad Janet gave me the chance
to attend her class.

I can't wait till PK on Saturday.

Nessa

From: Nessa
Date: Thurs, Jul 4 2002 8:22 am
Email: Nessa <use...@nessa.info>

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 0:08:02 -0400, Jenn wrote
(in message <CSPU8.117216$Lf2.8604...@news2.calgary.shaw.ca>):

> That aside, I crate trained both my dogs successfully,
> and used the crate to house train them.

Bagel is so well crate trained that in the mornings when
I make his Kong, he runs to the crate and since I am not
crating him anymore (just confining him) but I am crating
Hannah, I have to pull him out of the crate and he does not
want to get out.

BTW housebreaking with Janet is going quite well.

Nessa

----------------

Subject: I went away for the weekend... big mistake

1 From: Nessa -
Date: Sun, Jul 21 2002 9:58 pm
Email: Nessa <use...@nessa.info>

I went away for the weekend and I think my
dog walker will never speak to me again.

Bagel escaped from the kitchen and ate about 10

pounds of puppy food and proceeded to deposit it
all over my house.

He esp. liked my living room sofa which was my
mothers as he pulled some cushions off of it and
literally stood on it and peed.

Yes I know my dog has issues and I know I need help.

I think my poor dog walker needs therapy now.

It was a rough dog weekend for her and not
just with my kids.

I didn't know until the last minute I was going away
and NEXT time, the furbabies will go to furbaby camp
for the weekend.

It was too much for them.

Well live and learn.

Meanwhile, I'm still glad I went on retreat.

My house will survive as things are not important.

Hannah still loves me and Bagel will talk
to me in a few days.....

Nessa

------------

From: Nessa (use...@nessa.info)
Subject: Re: Where we stand/sit/down/leave it Now

Date: 2003-09-17 14:14:51 PST
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:16:04 -0400,
Charlie Wilkes wrote (in message
<*.@4ax.com>):

> Yes, it's a huge improvement over shoving them
> in crates at night. But why does Bagel have to be
> leashed?

because he will wander the area (room if i close
the door or house if i don't) and pee and bark all
night long. but i said that already you must not
be reading for comprehension.
--
Nessa

=========

From: Nessa (ladybug0...@comcast.net)
Subject: Re: Sad News.. I need someone to take my dogs
Date: 2003-08-26 09:55:03 PST

well I'm not BLAMING my job it's ONE of MANY
things that I'm considering.

As for returning them to their respective shelters,
I don't want to split them up and I'm not going to
give them to just anyone. Possibly because I am
doing everything I can to keep them and drag this
mess out as long as possible in hopes that it will
work out.

=============

BWEEEEEEAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Here's a other REAL FUNNY REAL LIFE trainin EXXXPERIENCE of janet's:

From: J1Boss
Date: Wed, Nov 19 1997 12:00 am
Email: j1b...@aol.com (J1Boss)

> Hanna was killed today by a speeding car on the country
> road out front of our house. It's seems so senseless.
> She was such a good dog. Such an angel. And I never
> ever thought I would feel this way over an animal.
> She never hurt anyone or anything, such a sweetheart.

Joe writes some lovely things about a dog he loved,
named Hanna, but unfortunately forgot an important
rule of love - to PROTECT. While not condoning the
driver for speeding, this is not a one sided responsibility.

Hanna's life would have been spared by a simple piece of
cloth or leather, known as a leash. Attached to a collar
on one end,and a human hand on the other,it is the most
valuable training tool available,and one that is used
much too infrequently.

Condolences and possibly, a lesson learned for the
benefit of future beloved pets.

From: J1Boss (j1b...@aol.com)
Subject: Re: Allstate won't insure my house due to dangerous breed
Date: 1999/01/11

<SNIP IDIOCY>

My homeowner's policy DID pay over $2300 to cover automobile
damage for the person who killed my dog recently. My rates
don't change, I'm not dropped, my dogs weren't questioned.

Perhaps there is more to the "judgement" criteria than meets the eye.

My insurance company paid over $2300 to fix someone's
car after my dog was hit and killed. If the car had hit a deer,
the car owner's insurance would have had to pay.

The leash law in my county meant that even without
INTENTIONAL off leash circumstances, the car driver
had a right to compensation from my homeowner's
insurance, even though he was very much speeding.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
"Read your question for the obvious answer"

-------------

BWEEEAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!

Hey janet you freakin miserable stinkin lyin
dog murderin ignorameHOWES?

You wouldn't need to FLAG DHOWEN a car to put
your DEAD DOG into it if it was the same car that
RAN DHOWEN your own dog runnin into the street
in front of your own HOWES, would you?

BWEEEEAAHAHAHHAAAA!!!

From: tricia9999 is a dog murderer
Date: Wed, Dec 17 2003 1:56 pm

J1Boss wrote:
> That's great, but I don't think you need to do all that
> proofing if you're teaching. That's what supervision is
> all about. To each their own, but I prefer to live normally
> and have everyone learn to live with "stuff".

This is Janet Boss's method for keeping dogs from grabbing
things they are not supposed to have....

NICE ABDOMINAL SURGERY FOR THE FAMILY PET

NICE CLAWING YOUR WAY OUT OF A CAGE WITH A FOOT
OF STAPLES IN YOUR TUMMY FOR THE FAMILY PET

NICE IDIOT TRAINING FROM JANET BOSSY BOSS ONE OF
THE MOST "IRRESPONSIBLE" DOG OWNERS IN ALL OF USENET.

From: Janet B <j...@bestfriendsdogobedience.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:00:28 -0500

Subject: Re: Dog Barking at Elderly People with Walkers

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:31:04 +0000 (UTC), mlch...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu

(Melanie L Chang) wrote:
> For what it's worth, I am actually quite surprised that Janet
> suggested an e-collar for this situation -- surprised enough
> that I wondered if the initial post was forged. I know that
> Janet favors different training techniques than I do and I
> respect that, but it seems out of character to suggest going
> straight to an e-collar for a dog that is barking at people
> that look unfamiliar and probably scary. In fact, adding an
> e-collar to this situation seems like a good recipe to make
> the dog even more leery of people on walkers.

I'll tell you why I would use an e-collar (BARK collar BTW -
not a regular e-collar). Ceasing barking can completely
extinguish the charging and frenzied behavior that goes along
with it.

It has not been my experience that stopping the barking via
correction of some sort has made a dog more reactive, fearful,
or associate the object of their barking with "bad" things.

> Especially considering the subsequent descriptions of the dog's
> behavior, I recommend a desensitization approach. Treats can
> still be useful -- she doesn't need to take them from the elderly
> folks, she can get them from the owner.

I'm betting (yes, specuation) that the dog is in such a frenzy that
she wouldn't notice a hot dog under her nose, from her owner's hand.
Just basing this on other Eskies I have worked with for the most
part.

> This dog sounds shy enough that it's a general problem,
> not just a problem in this situation, so the desensitization
> and counterconditioning approach can be used in other contexts
> as well. With my dog, confidence-building activities in
> controlled, predictable environments (agility class, working
> sheep) help a lot as well.

An owner who's in charge means a dog doesn't make those
decisions for himself. I stand by my "stop that" approach.

Fear or obnoxiousness (probably a combo of both) can be
solved with an owner who just says no, IMO.
--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

--------------------------

On 6 Feb 2006 01:19:16 -0800,
"dallygirl" <kwickw...@hotmail.com>, clicked their heels and said:

> janet, yes unfortunatly i have. i joined a mother and daughter duo
> training group and i am still kicking my arse over it :( i have since
> learnt (and anyone new to dogs please take note!) they have no
> qualifications only their own experience.

What exactly does that mean?

> its because of them i am busting a gut to
> get qualified and to join the apdt.

"credentials" only mean something if the issuing organization is
recognized as THE authority. The American Medical Association,
The American Bar Association - things like that. There is no
"whatever" dog association that licenses dog trainers.

> i saw a massive negative difference in my dogs behaviour when
> on the lead and i didnt yank or pull i never would no matter what
> the 'trainers' said.

What exactly were you doing with the lead that caused a negative
behavior? Do you not use a lead when training? Not on city streets?

> i guess i was as distressed as my dog.

I'm pretty sure you are the only one who was
distressed and you transmitted that to your dog.

> i took a dog out of this real nasty hell hole. the lady had set her
> self up as a rescue then had about 20 dogs running free in her back
> garden and it broke down to chaos.i took out a young lab female who
> was so scared she wouldnt climb into my car and i wasnt going to force
> her so i just sat next to her but on my tail gate. the 'rescue' woman
> growled and grabbed the dog at the back of the neck and a lump of
> flesh at the rump and threw her into my car.

What on earth does that have to do with properly using a variety of
training tools? So far, you've equated using choke collars with
people who enjoy drop-kicking dogs.

> with ppl such as this working with dogs i want to show a 'better way'.
> i don't refer to them when i'm talking to the person on the street as
> 'tools of horror' but i do give them some tips on a nicer way.

When 150# Cujo is trying to eat the dog next door,
what "nicer way" do you employ?

> the thing is, you put one of those around your neck, be it choke
> prong or electric and then tell me you want to keep using them.

My neck is very different from a dog's neck. I have no problem with a
choke or prong on my neck - I would respond accordingly. As far as
electric, I have had a ton of PT at times, and the electricity has
been a godsend.

> ok i am bent over ~ no pointy toes please, but form
> an orderly line to kick my arse..............i am braced :)

Nope - don't believe in kicking. But I do use a variety of collars
when training dogs. I'm not a big fan of CHAIN chokes, because I
don't find them easy to fit properly. I prefer nylon slip collars in
general, will never connect a leash to a buckle ID collar, and find
prong collars to be very, very useful training tools.

Rudy is going to start learning the e-collar this week.
I'm sure you'll NOT hear screams from across the pond.
--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

--------------------

There's PLENTY MOORE of janet's SUCCESS stories,
HOWEver, this will be all I'm gonna dig up today.
Stick arHOWEND dog lovers, we're just startin to
HAVE FUN with janet an her PALS <{}: ~ ) >

In Love And Light,
I Remain Respectfully, Humbly Yours,
Jerry Howe,
The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G
G-R-A-N-D
Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy, Goat, Ferett And Horsey Wizard <{) ;
~ )

HOWE MAY I SERVE YOU?

Melissa
2007-06-01 09:24:11 EST
wrote:
> In article <1180635907.439492.102...@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> Melissa <meloren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Any advice as to how I can fix this?
>
> Teach her to settle on a dog bed. There are a variety of ways to teach
> this, including tethers, food reward, etc. I teach and exercise called
> the "sit on it" which progress over a course of time. Starting out, the
> dog is on leash, owner sitting on it in a chair, ignoring dog and
> correcting any physical attempts for attention (pawing, nudging,
> climbing). It's important that the correction is short and sweet and go
> back to ignoring the dog. I have students do this for 30 minutes,
> 5x/week. We progress to a dropped leash, then 3' away, then 6' away
> (introducing the dog bed at any stage) and then to wherever you want the
> dog bed to be. This is a useful exercise for visits to the vet or
> such as well!
>
> When you work up to her being at a distance, a small food reward placed
> or tossed onto her bed, can be a nice reward for some dogs, but not
> really essential and can be too distracting for others.
>
> --
> Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Thanks for the advice, I will give this a try!
--Melissa

Shelly
2007-06-01 09:27:26 EST
Melissa wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, I will give this a try!

There is no try!

--
Shelly