Dog Discussion: Make It A Happy Chanukah Go Vegetarian Since It Is The Correct Diet Prescribed By Moses !

Make It A Happy Chanukah Go Vegetarian Since It Is The Correct Diet Prescribed By Moses !

Mirelle
2006-12-16 21:09:23 EST
Chanukah commemorates the miracle of the oil that was enough for only
one day, but miraculously lasted for eight days. A switch to
vegetarianism on the part of the world's people could result in an even
greater miracle: the end of the scandal of world hunger which results
in the death of an estimated 20 million people annually, while over a
third of the world's grain is fed to animals destined for slaughter.

At the morning services during each day of Chanukah, there is a
recitation of Hallel, the psalms of praise from Psalm 113 to 118.
During the Sabbath of Chanukah and every other Sabbath during the year,
the morning service has a prayer that begins, "The soul of all living
creatures shall praise God's name". Yet, it is hard for animals to join
in the praise of God when annually in the United States alone over 9
billion animals are killed for their flesh after suffering from cruel
treatment on factory farms.

It is interesting that the ratio of eight days that the oil burned
compared to the one day of burning capacity that the oil had is the
same ratio (8 to 1) that is often given for the pounds of grain that
are necessary to produce a pound of edible beef in a feed lot. The
miracle of the oil brings the use of fuel and other resources into
focus, and vegetarian diets make resources go much further, since far
less water, fuel, land, pesticides, fertilizer, and other agricultural
resources are required for plant-based diets than for animal-centered
diets.

Chanukah represents the victory of the few, who practiced God's
teachings rather than the values of the surrounding society, over the
many. Today vegetarians are a very small minority in most countries,
but they believe that, consistent with God's original diet (Genesis
1:29), and religious mandates to preserve our health, treat animals
with compassion, protect the environment, preserve natural resources,
and share with hungry people.

Chanukah represents the triumph of non-conformity. The Maccabees fought
for their inner beliefs, rather than conforming to external pressure.
They were willing to say: This I believe, this I stand for, this I am
willing to struggle for. Today, vegetarians represent non-conformity.
At a time when most people in the wealthier countries think of animal
products as the main part of their meals, when McDonald's and similar
fast food establishments are expanding, vegetarians are resisting and
insisting that there is a better, healthier, more humane diet.

The foods associated with Channukah, latkes (potato pancakes) and
sufganiyot (fried donuts) are vegetarian foods, and the oils that are
used in their preparation are a reminder of the oil used in the
lighting of the Menorah.

The Hebrew root of the word Chanukah means dedication. Today, a shift
to vegetarianism can be a major factor in the rededication and renewal
of Judaism, because it would show that Jewish values are relevant to
everyday Jewish life and to addressing current problems, such as
hunger, pollution, resource scarcity, and soaring health care
expenditures.

On the Sabbath during Chanukah, the prophetic portion indicates that
difficulties can best be overcome "not by might and not by power, but
by my spirit, says the Lord of hosts" (Zechariah 4:6). Today, Jewish
vegetarians are arguing that the way to a better world is not by
exercising our power over animals, but by applying the spirit of God,
"whose tender mercies are over all of His creatures" (Psalm 145:9).

The Hebrew root of the word Chanukah also means education, Jewish
vegetarians believe that if Jews were educated about the horrible
realities of factory farming and the powerful Jewish mandates about
taking care of our health, showing compassion to animals, protecting
the environment, conserving resources, and helping hungry people, they
would seriously consider switching to vegetarian diets.

http://www.jewishveg.com/chanukah.html

Mirelle

Mark Shaw
2006-12-17 11:32:09 EST
In rec.pets.dogs.behavior Mirelle <mirellelafleur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chanukah commemorates the miracle of the oil that was enough for only
> one day, but miraculously lasted for eight days. A switch to
> vegetarianism on the part of the world's people could result in an even
> greater miracle: the end of the scandal of world hunger which results
> in the death of an estimated 20 million people annually, while over a
> third of the world's grain is fed to animals destined for slaughter.

This is a VERY BAD IDEA. Why? Because eating tofu MAKES YOU GAY.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327