Dog Discussion: Breeds That Don't Smell 'doggy'?!

Breeds That Don't Smell 'doggy'?!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next  (First | Last)

Ruth
2003-10-22 16:04:14 EST
Hello

I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!

I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
come up with the following list:

Greyhounds
Labradoodle
Keeshond
Collie
Pharaoh Hound
Chinese Crested dogs
Basenji
Brittany
Beagles
Huskies
Chihuahua
Chow Chow

(I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
kept in a very clean condition......)

Any additions much appreciated!

All the best

Ruth

JustMel
2003-10-22 17:28:50 EST
beagles aren't doggie smelling? everyone I have ever known smelled like
dirty feet. but still they are loveable.
"Ruth" <ruth@underwired.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!
>
> I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
> don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
> come up with the following list:
>
> Greyhounds
> Labradoodle
> Keeshond
> Collie
> Pharaoh Hound
> Chinese Crested dogs
> Basenji
> Brittany
> Beagles
> Huskies
> Chihuahua
> Chow Chow
>
> (I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
> collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
> kept in a very clean condition......)
>
> Any additions much appreciated!
>
> All the best
>
> Ruth

Bob Horvath
2003-10-22 20:33:56 EST
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:04:14 +0000 (UTC), Bob Horvath wrote:

I have a Pomeranian that POSITIVELY has no smell. I don't know if he
is an exception or if he is the norm. He is three years old.
Bob

>Hello
>
>I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
>criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!
>
>I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
>don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
>come up with the following list:
>
>Greyhounds
>Labradoodle
>Keeshond
>Collie
>Pharaoh Hound
>Chinese Crested dogs
>Basenji
>Brittany
>Beagles
>Huskies
>Chihuahua
>Chow Chow
>
>(I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
>collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
>kept in a very clean condition......)
>
>Any additions much appreciated!
>
>All the best
>
>Ruth

ZPL
2003-10-22 22:12:27 EST
You worry about the "smell", but no mention of hair in general. A good
number on the list produce hair by the bagful.

"Ruth" <ruth@underwired.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!
>
> I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
> don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
> come up with the following list:
>
> Greyhounds
> Labradoodle
> Keeshond
> Collie
> Pharaoh Hound
> Chinese Crested dogs
> Basenji
> Brittany
> Beagles
> Huskies
> Chihuahua
> Chow Chow
>
> (I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
> collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
> kept in a very clean condition......)
>
> Any additions much appreciated!
>
> All the best
>
> Ruth

Monika I. Neszvecsko
2003-10-22 23:21:11 EST
Does doggy smell really depend on breed? I would think body odor is
individual to each dog, just as humans. Anyway, I love the smell of my
rottie. In cold weather he smells bacon. Mmmm...

Monika

> >Hello
> >
> >I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> >criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!
> >
> >I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
> >don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
> >come up with the following list:
> >
> >Greyhounds
> >Labradoodle
> >Keeshond
> >Collie
> >Pharaoh Hound
> >Chinese Crested dogs
> >Basenji
> >Brittany
> >Beagles
> >Huskies
> >Chihuahua
> >Chow Chow
> >
> >(I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
> >collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
> >kept in a very clean condition......)
> >
> >Any additions much appreciated!
> >
> >All the best
> >
> >Ruth

Betsy
2003-10-23 00:04:50 EST
I understand your concern, as I have allergies and a very sensitive nose.

I have a collie, and he has lately been smelling very doggy. Even after a
bath he can smell a couple of days later.

My former collie didn't seem to have this problem.

I don't remember my beagle smelling at all.

I recently met a greyhound that stank.

I can't be near any spaniels, and a Brittany falls into that category.

I think you are pretty limited to a poodle.

"Ruth" <ruth@underwired.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!
>
> I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
> don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
> come up with the following list:
>
> Greyhounds
> Labradoodle
> Keeshond
> Collie
> Pharaoh Hound
> Chinese Crested dogs
> Basenji
> Brittany
> Beagles
> Huskies
> Chihuahua
> Chow Chow
>
> (I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
> collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
> kept in a very clean condition......)
>
> Any additions much appreciated!
>
> All the best
>
> Ruth

Culprit
2003-10-23 02:15:12 EST

"Ruth" <ruth@underwired.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!

in my limited experience, this isn't just a breed thing. i have two pit
bulls. one of them i've had from a 12 wk old puppy, and she's never had a
doggy smell to her. the second dog i got as a rescue at 8 months old, and
he smelled horrible. after a month on good food he stopped smelling bad.

i think if you feed your dogs top quality food (not grocery store stuff),
and keep them clean (esp teeth and ears), your dog shouldn't smell bad at
all.

-kelly

Ruth
2003-10-23 04:16:48 EST
In article <yrIlb.44$X14.212370@news.abs.net>,
"Betsy" <n0spam@spam.c-0> wrote:

He he - yes, it can be an individual thing can't it? I don't actually
have allergies but am not keen on having a house that smelly very doggy
- a milder scent is fine but a full-on pong wouldn't be good :)

All the best

Ruth

> I understand your concern, as I have allergies and a very sensitive nose.
>
> I have a collie, and he has lately been smelling very doggy. Even after a
> bath he can smell a couple of days later.
>
> My former collie didn't seem to have this problem.
>
> I don't remember my beagle smelling at all.
>
> I recently met a greyhound that stank.
>
> I can't be near any spaniels, and a Brittany falls into that category.
>
> I think you are pretty limited to a poodle.
>
> "Ruth" <ruth@underwired.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> > criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too 'doggy'!
> >
> > I am wondering whether anyone can add to my list of dogs that typically
> > don't smell too strongly? From the reading I have done so far I have
> > come up with the following list:
> >
> > Greyhounds
> > Labradoodle
> > Keeshond
> > Collie
> > Pharaoh Hound
> > Chinese Crested dogs
> > Basenji
> > Brittany
> > Beagles
> > Huskies
> > Chihuahua
> > Chow Chow
> >
> > (I'm not too convinced about collies though, I had a friend with a
> > collie and that certainly did smell pretty doggy although it was always
> > kept in a very clean condition......)
> >
> > Any additions much appreciated!
> >
> > All the best
> >
> > Ruth

KrisHur
2003-10-23 06:05:34 EST
Agreed.

Recently there was a thread on one of these boards saying that Labs are
smelly dogs. My lab does not smell doggy (though her feet sometimes smell
like corn chips). However, in winter when she doesn't get to swim as often
the oil in her coat can go rancid if she's not bathed a little more often.
Good food, weekly ear cleaning and a bath every couple months when her coat
gets too oily keeps my girl from smelling.

--
Kristen and
Kali CD, CGC, TDIA, TT

"culprit" <culprit@flashmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ruth" <ruth@underwired.com> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I am thinking of buying a dog in the furture and amongst various other
> > criteria, one is that whichever breed I get, it musn't smell too
'doggy'!

> in my limited experience, this isn't just a breed thing. i have two pit
> bulls. one of them i've had from a 12 wk old puppy, and she's never had a
> doggy smell to her. the second dog i got as a rescue at 8 months old, and
> he smelled horrible. after a month on good food he stopped smelling bad.
>
> i think if you feed your dogs top quality food (not grocery store stuff),
> and keep them clean (esp teeth and ears), your dog shouldn't smell bad at
> all.
>
> -kelly

Culprit
2003-10-23 06:11:53 EST

"KrisHur" <kris_brock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Agreed.
>
> Recently there was a thread on one of these boards saying that Labs are
> smelly dogs. My lab does not smell doggy (though her feet sometimes smell
> like corn chips). However, in winter when she doesn't get to swim as often
> the oil in her coat can go rancid if she's not bathed a little more often.
> Good food, weekly ear cleaning and a bath every couple months when her
coat
> gets too oily keeps my girl from smelling.

<raises hand> guilty! i started that thread, to try to figure out why my
newly adopted dog smelled doggy (he's part lab).

i later conceded that breed probably had nothing to do with it. :-)

i'm now convinced that it's all about the food.

-kelly

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next  (First | Last)