Dog Discussion: Please Help Us Save Our Puppy...

Please Help Us Save Our Puppy...

Freeman
2006-08-02 23:55:31 EST
First, I'm VERY sorry for spamming the groups, but we're desperate and
we're not sure where else to turn.

Our dog Daisey was injured last Thursday and we found out today she's
going to need just under $2000 worth of procedures done so she can walk
normally again. She is only 1 year old, as of July 06 (last month), and
we've only just begun to enjoy our lives together. She has touched our
daugters life very deeply and asside from neighborhood friends her
closest companion as an only child.

I don't mean to play up the 6 year old child angle, but we're desperate
and don't have the money to give her the surgery. If we can't get the
money together we'll have to have her put to sleep and that would
terrible.

So please visit our small website and make what ever small sized
donation you can. Please, we just don't know what else to do. The
address is http://www.ourdogneedsanoperation.com/

Thank you very much!

TaraG
2006-08-03 00:49:31 EST

"Freeman" <ray.bowles@gmail.com> wrote in message
> First, I'm VERY sorry for spamming the groups, but we're desperate and
> we're not sure where else to turn.
>
> Our dog Daisey was injured last Thursday and we found out today she's
> going to need just under $2000 worth of procedures done so she can walk
> normally again. She is only 1 year old, as of July 06 (last month), and
> we've only just begun to enjoy our lives together. She has touched our
> daugters life very deeply and asside from neighborhood friends her
> closest companion as an only child.
>
> I don't mean to play up the 6 year old child angle, but we're desperate
> and don't have the money to give her the surgery. If we can't get the
> money together we'll have to have her put to sleep and that would
> terrible.
>
> So please visit our small website and make what ever small sized
> donation you can. Please, we just don't know what else to do. The
> address is http://www.ourdogneedsanoperation.com/
>
> Thank you very much!

I'd be glad to help you out....as long as you promise to give me money
towards the $3500 vet bill I just incurred for my cat. Oh, and there was the
2k I spent on my other cat last year (he died, by the way). And the 3k I
spent on that same cat the year before (if you think having a young animal
is pricey, wait until you have two geriatric ones at the same time!)

Then there was the many MANY thousands of dollars I spent on my own dog.

Face it. You got a pet. They are expensive....a lot like kids.

If your pet is important to you, work out a payment plan with your vet and
get your dog some help. And don't insult the people here by scamming us.

Tara

Misterina
2006-08-03 03:34:52 EST
Who is your vet and what is his/her registration number?

Freeman
2006-08-03 09:31:35 EST
Due to negative feedback on a few forums and our guilt from asking
we've taken the site down. Luckily it was only 9 hours and no one
donated so no one is owed anything back.

I thought it was a crazy idea to begin with so maybe I was right.

To the person with the large bills... I'm glad you were able to save
your pet. We just don't have the means, I'm sorry

Freeman
2006-08-03 10:21:18 EST
Also, Thank you to the person that shut our web host down. It's very
apreciated. the other sites on the server thank you as well.

Lesson learned. If anyone wants to make suggestions on what other
options we may have that would be helpful. Thanks again. ...To the good
people.

Freeman
2006-08-03 11:51:14 EST
A few people got to me and insisted I not give up sothe site is back
up.

In one friends words...
"Don't listen to the internet jerks. How long have you been on the net?
Have you ever found a forum that wasn't full of total jerks? Anonomous
people feel the have the right to be self-rightous."

TaraG
2006-08-03 11:52:43 EST

> Also, Thank you to the person that shut our web host down. It's very
> apreciated. the other sites on the server thank you as well.
>
> Lesson learned. If anyone wants to make suggestions on what other
> options we may have that would be helpful. Thanks again. ...To the good
> people.

The other option that I suggested (and that many people have to do all the
time) is to make payment arrangements with your vet so that you don't have
to come up with all the money at once.

Since I had already spent thousands upon thousands of dollars at my vets,
she helped me search out funds for this last surgery (contrary to what you
might think, I do NOT have a lot of money. In fact, you probably have more
means than I do), and had given me terms for payments on all prior medical
issues for my pets.

There are countless animals that have *no one* footing the bills for them,
not even for food and shelter. So, when animal people are able and ready to
donate money to "the cause" they tend to give it to those who's lives truly
depend on it, not to those who are choosing between a vet bill and a car
payment. I hate to be that blunt, but that's really the way it is. I
scrimped and saved in order to do the right thing for my little guys when it
came up. I did not ask others to bail me out (unless it was a loan) so that
I could pay for cable bills or car payments instead of life saving surgery.

I went without ALL non essentials for more than two years in order to pay
for my pets. What they gave me back was far longer, and far greater, than
that. Its a question of what its worth to you. If its not worth going
without these things for you, then why should it be worth that for strangers
who could otherwise donate that money to a rescue group?

I do hope things work out for you and especially for your wonderful pup.
Please see if your vet can work out a payment plan so that you can get on
with enjoying the rest of your lives together.

Tara

TaraG
2006-08-03 12:05:24 EST

>A few people got to me and insisted I not give up sothe site is back
> up.
>
> In one friends words...
> "Don't listen to the internet jerks. How long have you been on the net?
> Have you ever found a forum that wasn't full of total jerks? Anonomous
> people feel the have the right to be self-rightous."

Ok, so I looked at your site for clues to see what was wrong with your pup.

While Patellar luxation isn't fun, and does need to be treated, to basically
use the idea of putting her to sleep as a way of getting people to donate
money to you is, frankly, offensive. PL is not a death sentence....even for
a large dog like yours. I would suggest you google Patellar Luxation for
large breeds and find out what your options are. They are *not* limited to
immediate surgery or death, as you present them here. There are ways of
mitigating the damage until you can save up money for the surgery.

I have to say, I have a problem with the "please donate money, or I'll have
to kill my dog" tactic (one that gets used, and misused, often.....which is
why people here tend to get pissed off when yet another one tries it out). I
get especially annoyed when its not even a case of that.

Tara

Rocky
2006-08-03 12:09:09 EST
"Freeman" <ray.bowles@gmail.com> said in
rec.pets.dogs.rescue:

> In one friends words...
> "Don't listen to the internet jerks. How long have you been
> on the net? Have you ever found a forum that wasn't full of
> total jerks? Anonomous people feel the have the right to be
> self-rightous."

For what it's worth, a request such as yours is a common scam.
Note that I'm not saying your request is a scam.

One poster requested your veternarian contact information.
This is a good way to go, especially for the more suspicious
of us.

Other ways of raising money? Sell your domain name -
ourdogneedsanoperation.com sounds like it has the potential to
be a big money maker.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Sighthounds & Siberians
2006-08-03 12:09:55 EST
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 15:52:43 GMT, "TaraG" <taragreen2@verizon.net>
wrote:

>"Freeman" <ray.bowles@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Also, Thank you to the person that shut our web host down. It's very
>> apreciated. the other sites on the server thank you as well.
>>
>> Lesson learned. If anyone wants to make suggestions on what other
>> options we may have that would be helpful. Thanks again. ...To the good
>> people.
>
>The other option that I suggested (and that many people have to do all the
>time) is to make payment arrangements with your vet so that you don't have
>to come up with all the money at once.
>
>Since I had already spent thousands upon thousands of dollars at my vets,
>she helped me search out funds for this last surgery (contrary to what you
>might think, I do NOT have a lot of money. In fact, you probably have more
>means than I do),

They certainly have a nicer house than I do. My regular vet bills
topped $2,000 in March, and since then we've had a broken leg,
dermatitis, and a dental or two. Last year we spent somewhere around
$3,000 on Anna's surgery for laryngeal paralysis and a subsequent
hospitalization for aspiration pneumonia. These are things one does
when one has taken responsibility for an animal.

To the OP: If your daughter were sick, would you expect strangers to
pay for her care? There are all kinds of ways to pay for this
surgery. Tara lists some very good examples. Other people have a
savings account for animal emergencies or a credit card that is used
only for that purpose. The dog is your responsibility, and it's
irresponsible to expect other people, particularly strangers, to pay
for her care.

Mustang Sally